AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING

After Eight
#175AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 3:39pm

And P.S., Annie,

The hyping doesn't wane with time, either. Did you notice what show is being given a gala performance at City Center this fall? The Sound of Music? No, no, no, no. Plain and Fancy? No, no, no, no. High Button Shoes? No, no, no, no. None other than ---- Sunday in the Park With George! 

You see, the more things change...  the more some things don't change.

Broadway Forever2
#176AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 4:42pm

When Book of Mormon was Broadway theater darling and breaking records for sales did people blame every show that closed after a short run on them? Baby It's you, Bonnie and clyde, Catch me if you can, Lysistrata Jones, Wonderland all had short runes and opened around the time Mormon was so successful. I don't get the logic that successful shows are to blame when a show closes. 

Updated On: 5/27/16 at 04:42 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#177AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 4:47pm

Wonderland and Bonnie and Clyde were Wildhorn shows so it was a given they would close early. None of the other shows you mention had seats priced equal to the GNP of the EU. Seeing it 5 or 6 times takes away from money possibly used for other shows. Who knows and really who cares. Sorry AP is closing but that is life. I never got as close as people today do for certain shows. Now I see a show and that is it. It stays open , great. If not, that's life.

Poster Emeritus

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#178AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 4:52pm

when will A8 understand that some people simply like shows he doesn't and there is no conspiracy going on

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#179AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 4:54pm

What was that thread where After Eight and others were going on and on about how they don't go into threads for shows they don't like just to dump on them? 

Mike66
#180AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 5:01pm

Some of these postings today are really shocking.

I actually enjoyed Book of Mormon, and Fun Home and yes, Wicked, and OMG Lion King.  Had the joy of seeing each early in their run, and yes, I fondly recall all of them.

I must be a pawn of the Critics Conspiracy to ruin Broadway.

Of course, it must be a conspiracy that a far superior work of art and theatre (and costume design) like American Psycho would be closing when those frauds continue  to attract customers. 

And as to Hamilton, which I also was lucky enough to see, that was so bad -- all of the people (and me!!) must have been drugged to even stay in our seats until the end.  Such a bore!!  I think they filtered it in from the balcony......

What's wrong with saying -- if you want to attract a lot of people, you need to be attractive to a lot of people.  It's not a bad thing if you don't want to (or can't).  But like Tevye said (another con job, if I ever saw one) -- "it's no great honor either."

C'mon people......

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#181AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 5:17pm

Has anyone heard any rumblings of a Broadway cast recording?

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

After Eight
#182AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 5:19pm

"Now I see a show and that is it. It stays open , great. If not, that's life."

That's a very good attitude.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#183AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 5:30pm

so profound, too!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Jose Profile Photo
Jose
#184AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 7:00pm

What a shame!  Seeing it Saturday for the third time.  One of the top three shows of the season. Stylish, sophisticated, intelligent, witty, fun, terrific score, great looking cast and a show for adults.

Consistency
#185AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 7:30pm

"What was that thread where After Eight and others were going on and on about how they don't go into threads for shows they don't like just to dump on them?"

I also remember a thread where he accused someone of trolling merely for saying something positive about "Hamilton" in a "is anyone else tired of Hamilton" thread.

That's different, of course. Because when AE does it, he's just speaking for the oppressed Masses™ - whereas everyone else is just trolling to fool people into thinking that a Bad show is Good. 

In greater seriousness, it's quite clear that consistency and self-awareness - and critical thinking, and an understanding of the basic realities of living in a diverse world - have never been among AE's strong points.

"when will A8 understand that some people simply like shows he doesn't and there is no conspiracy going on"

If he hasn't figured it out by now, chances are good that he'll never figure it out. 

I mean, I actually find it kind of hilarious that he genuinely seems to have fallen for his own lies. He really, sincerely seems to believe that no one actually derives pleasure and enjoyment from any show he doesn't like and that all the passionate and heartfelt appraisals over the last 10-20-50 years are really just part of a long-standing conspiracy to fool the masses.

I mean, I guess that kind of thinking could almost make sense - if you've never actually interacted with other human beings.

Updated On: 5/27/16 at 07:30 PM

aaaaaa15
#186AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 7:41pm

I'm just done replying to him at this point. Love a good debate with people who have differing but valid perspectives, but I can't deal with this 'only the shows I like are good and if other people like shows that I dislike (pretty much every contemporary show) then it must be because they believe the hype.' It's boring.

If he wants to continue to reply to my posts then he'll be talking to himself.

Updated On: 5/27/16 at 07:41 PM

After Eight
#187AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 8:11pm

" Love a good debate with people who have differing but valid perspectives,"

To debate, you have to be willing (and able) to listen to the other party.

"If he wants to continue to reply to my posts then he'll be talking to himself."

"Hi, myself! How are you?"

"Fine, thanks! And you?"

"Couldn't be better! Just thinking about the day I saw Tovarich."

"Why, so was I! Wasn't that wonderful?"

"Sure was!"

"Nice talking to you!"

"The pleasure was mine."

After Eight
#188AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 8:16pm

""What was that thread where After Eight and others were going on and on about how they don't go into threads for shows they don't like just to dump on them?""

That was the Finding Neverland closing thread in which some unfortunate souls took pleasure in gloating over its closing, and in bashing Gary Barlow. Sad, really.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#189AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 8:26pm

It's defending some kind of artistic integrity when you bring up Sondheim unprovoked just to bash his work in every thread, but talking about the pop writer of a widely-panned borderline-illiterate score in a thread ABOUT that show is sad? Okay, got it. No cognitive dissonance there. 

Updated On: 5/27/16 at 08:26 PM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#190AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 8:26pm

It does still seem crazy they have thrown in the towel so quick, they really were not doing that bad and should have known that something as different as this would have taken some time to catch on. 

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Scarywarhol
#191AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 8:32pm

They also should have marketed the show, like, at all if they wanted it to run. 

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#192AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 8:35pm

I agree, though I do think the marketing their did do was pretty slick but they needed much more and needed to show the spectacle of it as well as the humour.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Scarywarhol
#193AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 8:37pm

The TV spot was very cool, but I never actually saw it air. The poster was stylish, but it was not very recognizable or eye-catching. Awareness just seemed really low to me. My non-theatre friends were shocked that it existed if I mentioned it. 

After Eight
#194AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 8:39pm

"but talking about the pop writer of a widely-panned musical score in a thread about that show is sad?"

Uh, bashing the writer, while other posters were commiserating with the cast and creators over the closing notice was yeah, sad. Very sad.

groucho797 Profile Photo
groucho797
#195AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 9:10pm

My two cents:

1. Not surprised at the haters, that's what they do. I am, however, heartbroken that the show is closing - definitely getting a fourth viewing in before it closes. 

2. Someone keep us posted if there's a cast recording/dvd in the works, please.

3. Hidden among all the other mind-boggling moments in the show was an overlooked gem; I didn't appreciate it until the third viewing - but an extra-special nod to Jennifer Damiano's "A Girl Before." Absolutely beautiful - thank you, Jennifer.

4. I'll miss all the fun and the madness so much - this was a show that truly caught lightning in a bottle. My deepest thanks to cast and crew for sharing their astonishing talents with us.

Updated On: 5/27/16 at 09:10 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#196AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 9:54pm

It is amazing what the closing notice did. On Monday, it was on TDF for 8 dates. Now it is only on for 1 date and it is limited seating at that.

Poster Emeritus

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#197AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 10:32pm

Any idea why they skipped 2nd stage? I will say, seeing the current production, I think it's too big for for 2nd Stage, but how was it in London? Was it the same production basically? I think this was just too off-beat for Broadway, same with Bloody Bloody. Great shows, but just not what people want to see. 

ebontoyan
#198AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/27/16 at 11:37pm

It's my American Psycho weekend. I was there tonight and I found it very entertaining.  I can see how some people won't like it, definitely not the usual Broadway fare.  But Benjamin Walker is awesome and so is the rest of the cast.   I'm back for Sunday matinee.  And this is in my top three new shows this season together with Hamilton and Allegiance!

Updated On: 5/27/16 at 11:37 PM

hork Profile Photo
hork
#199AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/28/16 at 1:21am

After Eight said: ""Yes, it is easier for a show that already has mainstream appeal on paper to succeed."

I think it's time to reevaluate the term "mainstream." What we have traditionally thought of as "mainstream" no longer applies, because it is now the powers-that-be that CREATE the mainstream, using the overwhelming power of the megamedia monolith to aid and abet them. The shows that one might have thought of as "risky" are anything but, because they are critics-guaranteed, awards-guaranteed, media elite-guaranteed from the outset. Working together relentlessly and inexorably, these forces use their power to impose their will upon the public. Did anyone ever think for a moment that things like Fun Home, Hamilton, or Book of Mormon could ever possibly have gotten a bad review, lost an award, not be hyped to the megamax? Those now ARE the mainstream because the powers-that-be have had the power to make them so.

American Psycho did not benefit from those iron-clad guarantees, and thus falls by the wayside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sez8O6je0xk

Videos