pixeltracker

NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn- Page 8

NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn

binau Profile Photo
binau
#175NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/19/18 at 4:13am

My last post literally criticised my own actions and spoke positively about religion as a coping mechanism. You can’t win on here, can you?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 5/19/18 at 04:13 AM

BroadwayFan12
#176NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/19/18 at 6:10am

Never mind that a family lost two children. It's all about you.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#177NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/19/18 at 6:20am

You keep making it about me when I agree it shouldn't be. I was defending the poster that says praying won't do anything because it's true. I agree with others that would think this is probably not the time or place to discuss (although clearly I don’t mind talking about this). I agree that religion can even have positive outcomes for this specific situation (just to make it clear I have balanced views).  And I agree (as I have said in almost every post) that this is a terrible tragedy for all involved. What else can I possibly say or do? Why bother persisting to derail the conversation further? What do you want? I feel like everything that needs to be said on the topic has been said - now it's just this odd situation where some of you seem to have an issue  that the conversation about this is continuing when you are responding to me haha. If you don't want the conversation to continue about this, I genuinely invite you to ignore me or block me. If you reply to me, I will assume you want to continue the discussion because it's a discussion board.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 5/19/18 at 06:20 AM

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#178NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brook
Posted: 5/19/18 at 10:06am

There is no conversation. It's all a one sided conversation with yourself with a few people telling you to give it a rest. If you want to rant on about how pointless religion is (which I agree with) you can make a topic about it in the off topic board.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#179NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/19/18 at 10:09am

I hope we can continue the great progress we have made over the last few hundred years and slowly change our culture to overcome these strange, outdated and counterfactual ideas.It's 2018 and yet we hold religious views in such high esteem. 

You are right. You have apologized and your offense was common enough. Disputes about religion and the effectiveness of petitioning God or gods have been going on for several thousand years, and they cause such high emotions that society has tried to codify some rules for when the subject should not be brought up. After many years, I gave up on prayer. It wasn't working for me. But I respect those who pray and believe that some prayers are answered by some entity and that prayer is at least a comfort to them.

But I couldn't get past that statement above. Since I see the world in a hopeless rather than hopeful state, I'm eager to learn about all this progress that has been made. The two World Wars of the first half of the 20th Century were the most brutal and barbaric in world history. No one really know why WW I was fought. There was peace and prosperity for most. For four years the war in the West followed the same strategy for both sides. Concentrate men on the line, leap from your trenches, and charge entrenched machine guns, which mowed the men down.

The Great War or The War to End All Wars, led directly to WW II after a short period of vindictive peace. In this war for the first time innocent civilians were considered fair game. Millions suffered horrible deaths from poison gas, high explosives, fire and unescapable firestorms, large doses of radiation, firing squads and especially the case with the Japanese, a bayonet in the gut. The two biggest villains could have been religious, but they were not. They cared about religion only as a method of controlling their population.

This country for the first time in its proud history as a Constitutional Democracy elected as President a man not fit for the job. Atomic bomb technology is over 75 years old and bombs can be made or bought with increasing ease.  So I see mushroom clouds over cities again by the end of the century.

Now I have to apologize because this was not the right place for this post either. Since I typed it all out, I'm going to post it anyway and you can just ignore it.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#180NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/19/18 at 10:35am

Everyone, please respect Ruthie Ann Miles and her family by just putting to rest this entire thread.  Nothing more needs to be added and we need to respect their privacy.  Our opinions need to stop. 

BWWMatt Profile Photo
BWWMatt
#181NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/19/18 at 10:43am

Hi all, I hope your Saturday is going well. I think at this point it's probably best if we keep the religious debate out of this thread moving forward. If you would like to have that discussion, I welcome you to start a thread in the Off-Topic board. That topic is understandably personal and can cause significant disagreement, so I am confident that we can all agree that out of respect for Miles and her family, that it might be better to have that conversation elsewhere. 

This is obviously a tragic story, so if you would like to share your thoughts, well wishes, concerns, fond memories, and even prayers-- if you are so inclined-- for Ruthie Ann and her family, as well as the Lew family, please continue to do so here. 

Thank you all, and have a great weekend. 

MannPhan24601
#182NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/31/18 at 4:14pm

Looks like she's still continuing with TKAI https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/naoko-mori-ruthie-ann-miles-king-and-i-palladium_46711.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=30may2018

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#183NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/31/18 at 4:19pm

It's not my place to judge how someone chooses to grieve and work through their grief, but I do hope Miles is doing what's best for her and her husband by continuing with the show. I also wonder how the two actresses will share the role, since that isn't explained in the article. Was Miles going to start after the show opened, since she was going to have just given birth, or are they just alternating?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#184NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/31/18 at 4:31pm

How long do most people take off from work for any tragedy? I'm not trying to minimize her pain of any of the terrible losses, but most of us hitch up our britches and get back to living, albeit never the same.

I had a student lose her brother a few weeks ago, the funeral was Tuesday, she was back at school on Thursday.

Alternatively, I have a friend in her 50s that lost her mother almost 2 years ago (who was near 90 and in poor health for years) that still can't cope.

Wallowing in sadness isn't healthy.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#185NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/31/18 at 4:33pm

Wishing Ruthie all the best!

Also, am I the only British-TV-nerd who read that article and immediately was thrilled to see "Tosh" as her alternate? :)

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#186NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/31/18 at 4:37pm

dramamama611 said: "How long do most people take off from work for any tragedy? I'm not trying to minimize her pain of any of the terrible losses, but most of us hitch up our britches and get back to living, albeit never the same.

I had a student lose her brother a few weeks ago, the funeral was Tuesday, she was back at school on Thursday.

Alternatively, I have a friend in her 50s that lost her mother almost 2 years ago (who was near 90 and in poor health for years) that still can't cope.

Wallowing in sadness isn't healthy.
"

You're definitely right, and I'm sure it will be good for her to work and be around a mix of new and familiar people.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#187NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/31/18 at 4:39pm

When my father passed away unexpectedly in his sleep, I was back at work the next day. My mother who was married to him for 43 years bounced back (albeit slowly) in 3 days. My dad was a man who didn’t tolerate nonsense so that motivated us to move on immediately as he would have.  We are very independent people so we know how to refocus quickly but others can’t AND won’t.  Everyone copes differently.  Some never do.  

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#188NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/31/18 at 4:59pm

This sort of reminds me of when Audra Mcdonald's father tragically died in an aviation accident on a plane that he was piloting during the previews of her run in 110 in the Shade. She decided to keep working after taking 2 or 3 performances off, and I think even missed his funeral, with her mother's support because both felt it would have been better and healthier for her to keep working. She may have found it therapeutic to let it all out on stage as well.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#190NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/31/18 at 5:07pm

I’m so happy to read that Ruthie will be performing in the West End production after all. It is almost certainly therapeutic to her to be able to focus on work and reprising her gorgeous performance in London. As many of you have said, moving on so quickly from something tragic isn’t a sign of ignorance; it’s a sign of resilience.

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#191NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/31/18 at 5:12pm

How presumptuous to assume you know best how she should handle these terrible events. 

I can only hope that I get chances to see her, after she has come to peace with her losses, in roles that allow her to be give amazing performances like I've enjoyed in the past. And that she's in a situation to do whatever she needs to get to that peace.

Updated On: 5/31/18 at 05:12 PM

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
rjm516
#193NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/31/18 at 6:02pm

Wow Ruthie! What an amazing woman. Man I'm crying just thinking about how strong she is. I wonder if it's an even split for the role.

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#194NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/31/18 at 6:41pm

God, I wish I could be in London to watch this woman perform this summer. What a model of strength.

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#195NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/31/18 at 7:25pm

"Wallowing in sadness isn't healthy."

Nope, you don't get to judge a person, their sadness, or how they deal with tragedies in life.  Everyone is different and everyone has been through things, and some are better prepared mentally than others. 

Ruthie is stunning and I hope I get to see her in London this summer.  

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#196NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/31/18 at 7:45pm

Dramamama611, idk what the point of your post is, but it comes across as really gross.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#197NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/31/18 at 8:17pm

Really?  I was simply addressing the poster implying she was possibly short changing her grieving.  And that very poster understood my point.   Everyone is different but this idea that she shouldn't be ready to return to her life is silly.  Does everyone grieve differently?  Of course.  As well as everyone comes to terms with it differently.  But let's face facts:  people DO have to get on with their lives and it is only up to THAT person what is right.

And to EllieRose -- who the heck did I judge?  Not a single person.  I made two extreme comparisions from very dear people in my life recently and then made a simple statement about emotional health.  PERIOD.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

GoblinKing2
#198NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 5/31/18 at 8:18pm

My children are 23 and 16 and I would be totally destroyed if I lost either of them and I doubt my marriage would survive it. Yet if there is a ideal situation to drag oneself out of such hell for an actor, this seems like it... a familiar role where you don’t have to learn something new, familiar people, but in a totally new location where every place won’t have a haunting memory....but still, to be constantly surrounded by laughing, smiling small children as one would be in this musical .... this woman is a hell of a lot stronger than I am that’s for damn sure just by considering to do it.

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#199NY Daily News: Ruthie Ann Miles Injured, Daughter Killed By Driver in Brooklyn
Posted: 6/1/18 at 12:08am

" people DO have to get on with their lives"

No, they really don't.  Just because you said so?  Gross. Gross. Gross. Your entire paragraph.

Back on topic, I am SO happy that Ruthie will be in London and people get to experience her brilliance on stage in the West End.  How exciting.  

Videos