Shut down until June 7

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#175Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 12:27pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-NYC-Mayor-Bill-De-Blasio-Cancels-All-Non-Essential-Events-Through-June-20200420

So  now we are officially closed until July.   No surprise and as others have stated, most likely the Fall at the earliest.  

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#176Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 12:27pm

I guess the only question left to ask right now is, when in 2021 does theatre come back in some form? September? Christmastime? Perhaps not until 2022?

Oh look, a bibu!

Broadway61004
#177Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 12:29pm

CT2NYC said: "Broadway61004 said: "Realistically, things were not going to be up and running by June. However, I 100% agree that it doesn't make sense to assume ANYTHING right now. So I'm really not sure why everything was canceled today. Living in NYC in the heart of all this, I have zero clue what it's going to look like next week, let alone two months from now. So were all of these events likely going to end up being canceled? Probably. But I just don't understand the point of definitively saying right now "Everything is shut down" especially when your own governor is still saying "May 15th" (which yes, will almost assuredly be extended, but again, the point is we don't know. We don't know, so why are we making these definitive statements this far in advance?)"

Today's announcement was referring to permitted events such as parades, concerts, etc. Is there some reason why he shouldn't have cancelled these this far in advance? Clearly, there's no scenario where these huge gatherings would be happening, and I would thinkthat their organizers appreciate the advance notice.
"

I agree that it's good for the parade organizers, etc. to have an idea about this, but I just also feel like people are making such huge assumptions about what things are going to be like months in advance when the truth is, not a single one of us truly knows.  Remember, it was just five weeks ago where we were shocked Broadway was going to shut down for four weeks.  Now we're suddenly assuming what's going to happen ten weeks down the road?  It's possible that NYC's cases rapidly decline over the next few weeks and by the end of May they've been able to set up enough testing systems that some of these events could proceed.  It's also possible that we don't see any more dropoff, we get no testing, we get no vaccine and we're in complete lockdown until 2022.  Are either of those scenarios super likely?  No.  But the point is, we have absolutely no idea.  So that's why I'd rather wait to make these kinds of statements until we at least get into May and get a few more weeks down the road to better assess where we are.  I just think we're all making way too many assumptions right now, both positive and negative, when we really have no idea what's going to happen.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#178Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 12:56pm

We all know New York will be one of the last places to fully open up. We have more cases than anyone. I'm sure office buildings, gyms, etc will open up with new guidelines. But, big events like parades and theater won't be open. That is what they canceled, basically. We won't know what things will look like in August but we do know the public pools will be closed, which is absolutely devastating to at risk youth, who need a place to go. Child abuse and domestic violence cases have shot up throughout the entire country due to this. It makes me sad beyond measure that this has happened but we have to find a way to make it through. Somehow. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#179Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 1:29pm

Huss417 said: "The only time I realize Mr Roxy still exists is when someone copies what they have said. Was tired of his posts years ago.". Glad to be back for you 

Poster Emeritus

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#180Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 1:29pm

Huss417 said: "The only time I realize Mr Roxy still exists is when someone copies what they have said. Was tired of his posts years ago.". Glad to be back for you 

Poster Emeritus

PipingHotPiccolo
#181Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 2:24pm

Stunned by Mr. Roxy's ignorant post re prior outbreaks. This sort of misinformation and just plain ole cant-follow-facts-and-science is going to get so many health care workers sick. 

This sorta stupidity would not bother me one iota if we could make people like Mr. Roxy sign a waiver card of some sort, declaring that in the event he does get sick, he understands that he will not be treated by any hospital or medical team. If we could that in place, he could parade through the streets, enjoy the beach, go to church, continue protesting Benghazi or Hillary's emails or whatever he wants, and it wouldnt be any of our dang business. 

Sutton Ross
#182Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 2:32pm

Shut down until June 7

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#183Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 2:56pm

Brave nursing professionals.

Non sibi sed patriae

LxGstv
#184Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 3:10pm

JDonaghy4 said: "Stunned by Mr. Roxy's ignorant post re prior outbreaks. This sort of misinformation and just plain ole cant-follow-facts-and-science is going to get so many health care workers sick.

This sorta stupidity would not bother me one iota if we could make people like Mr. Roxy sign a waiver card of some sort, declaring that in the event he does get sick, he understands that he will not be treated by any hospital or medical team. If we could that in place, he could parade through the streets, enjoy the beach, go to church, continue protesting Benghazi or Hillary's emails or whatever he wants, and it wouldnt be any of our dang business.
"

Well, no, they could potentially still be spreading the virus around, so it would still be a problem.

Updated On: 4/20/20 at 03:10 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#185Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 3:48pm

So if it permanently damaged the economy and meant the permanent death of Broadway you would be OK with it?

It does not affect me as we are retired but you go stir crazy being stuck in your house 24/7. Gave up.Voting awhile ago. There is so much fraud in the system voting became a waste of time for us.

Hope this explains everything for you. Have a nice day. By the way my wife and I both had a mild case early on and we self quarantined

Poster Emeritus

Fosse76
#186Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 3:57pm

PatrickDC said: "1) forehead thermometer scans"

I don't really think temperatures scans are accurate.  Your external body temperature could read hotter for a variety of reasons (hot/humid weather, running down the street if late, etc.). Plus the normal healthy body temperature can vary by a few degrees from person to person. 

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#187Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 4:02pm

" Cool, who's repeating demonstrably false and perhaps actively harmful Democratic talking points about the pandemic? "

With all due respect Kad, I am not going to go there with you on this board that is basically 99% liberal Democrat and get trashed.

Umeboshi
#188Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 4:04pm

Yes, I agree. They are not very accurate and could lead people into a false sense of security as well. Then again, that sense of security, no matter how misleading, might make some theaters consider investing in them anyway...

Fosse76 said: "PatrickDC said: "1) forehead thermometer scans"

I don't really think temperatures scans are accurate. Your external body temperature could read hotter for a variety of reasons (hot/humid weather, running down the street if late, etc.). Plus the normal healthy body temperature can vary by a few degrees from person to person.
"

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#189Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 4:31pm

Y’all.
NYC is ground zero for this pandemic. Broadway isn’t coming back this summer, and if it looks like there is going to be a upswing again in tbe fall it won’t be back then either.

The miracle isn’t going to be a vaccine, it’s going to be finding antivirals that work, and practicing social distancing.

Start preparing for your lives to be radically different for the next year now.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#190Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 4:33pm

yankeefan7 said: "" Cool, who's repeating demonstrably false and perhaps actively harmful Democratic talking points about the pandemic? "

With all due respect Kad, I am not going to go there with you on this board that is basically 99% liberal Democrat and get trashed.
"

Uh huh. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#191Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 4:34pm

yankeefan7 said: "" Cool, who's repeating demonstrably false and perhaps actively harmful Democratic talking points about the pandemic? "

"

What is the difference between being a Democrat and a liberal Democrat?

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Impossible2
#192Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 4:38pm

Mr Roxy said: "So if it permanently damaged the economy and meant the permanent death of Broadway you would be OK with it?

It does not affect me as we are retired but you go stir crazy being stuck in your house 24/7. Gave up.Voting awhile ago. There is so much fraud in the system voting became a waste of time for us.

Hope this explains everything for you. Have a nice day. By the way my wife and I both had a mild case early on and we self quarantined
"

Your wife is looking much better, glad you're both able to get out and about again x

Shut down until June 7

Sutton Ross
#193Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 4:50pm

Shut down until June 7

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#194Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 5:48pm

" What is the difference between being a Democrat and a liberal Democrat? "

I will let others on this board answer that question.

ArtMan
#195Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 5:52pm

Fosse76 said: "PatrickDC said: "1) forehead thermometer scans"

I don't really think temperatures scans are accurate. Your external body temperature could read hotter for a variety of reasons (hot/humid weather, running down the street if late, etc.). Plus the normal healthy body temperature can vary by a few degrees from person to person.
"

They're not.  My mother's nursing home utilizes them before entrance.  The first day used on me, the employee got a 110 reading on me.  He didn't understand when I told him, if that was true,  I would be near death.

ArtMan
#196Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 5:52pm

double

Updated On: 4/20/20 at 05:52 PM

mar6411
#197Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 5:59pm

yankeefan7 said: "" What is the difference between being a Democrat and a liberal Democrat? "

I will let others on this board answer that question.
"

What??  That makes absolutely no sense.  Only you - who wrote the comment - can say what you meant by that.  I am also puzzled by what the difference is you were trying to convey.  Please enlighten us.

Sutton Ross
#198Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 6:05pm

He didn't write that comment.

I think it's weird that people don't realize that moderate Democrats, much like moderate Republicans, exist in the world. 

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#199Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 6:13pm

Mr Roxy said: "So if it permanently damaged the economy and meant the permanent death of Broadway you would be OK with it?

"

Sorry, but since you claim you don't vote anymore oh, you really don't have a right to complain about the way your Mayor is handling things when you yourself aren't doing anything actively to get someone else in office. Example: voting for someone else

Darreyl with an L!

Videos