Posted: 1/12/23 at 2:55pm

delete

SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting

Updated On: 1/12/23 at 02:55 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#176SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/12/23 at 3:00pm

g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "I'm trying, but there's just nothing to hold onto. Got anything I can grab hold of, sugar?"

Nothing to hold onto, just like your claims that this production was stolen from you. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#177SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/12/23 at 3:03pm

Here is the full uncropped image, from the photographer's instagram (@franzszony).SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#178SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/12/23 at 3:06pm

Kad said: "g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "I'm trying, but there's just nothing to hold onto. Got anything I can grab hold of, sugar?"

Nothing to hold onto, just like your claims that this production was stolen from you.
"

The production as it now stands? No, I will fully concede that it is not stolen from me. You're right about that. But the initial concept they abandoned, and the opportunity in general? I think I've got a(n admittedly circumstantial) claim, not that I would pursue it, beyond having written about it so it was documented somewhere. Life's too short.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

FANtomFollies
#179SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/12/23 at 6:19pm

They updated the website with the new art and I'm 100% loving it now.SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#180SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/12/23 at 6:44pm

FANtomFollies said: "They updated the website with the new art and I'm 100% loving it now.SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting"

https://sweeneytoddbroadway.com/

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#181SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/12/23 at 6:48pm

SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

binau Profile Photo
binau
#182SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/12/23 at 8:18pm

I’m excited that they probably will be able to bring the sexual chemistry/appeal to the production, which is something I always thought Bernadette would bring to the role. Ashford looks stunning! 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

FANtomFollies
#183SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/14/23 at 1:00pm

SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further castingSweeney's instagram account posted some rehearsal photos and you can just barely make out renderings of the set design behind the cast.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#184SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/14/23 at 2:05pm

Looks great from what we can see, and appears to pay a lot of homage to the original set. 

SouthernCakes
#185SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/14/23 at 2:41pm

That’s exciting! Between this and - I assume - Camelot being a bring production, this will be an exciting spring season! 

Chase Miller
#186SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/14/23 at 4:56pm

Anneleigh Ashford really has climbed the Broadway ladder. What a talent. I'm not a Josh Groban fan but I'm excited for this!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#187SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/14/23 at 5:30pm

A rounded proscenium is just one of those things that makes a design like 10% more interesting than a standard picture-frame proscenium. Excited to see the actual design.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#188SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/14/23 at 7:04pm

I suspect they won't, but I would love it if they restored Turpin's "Johanna (Mea Culpa)". It has been done in concert performances.

Just give the world Love.

Musicaldudepeter
#189SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/14/23 at 7:14pm

Why would you suspect they won't

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#190SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/14/23 at 7:23pm

It's one of the most frequent reinsertions; I highly doubt they wouldn't.

(Me, I want to see if they put back the tooth-pulling or not. I would assume not.)

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#191SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/15/23 at 9:43am

Finally bought tickets for early April.  I saw the Doyle revival 3 times, loved it, but I am so excited to hear this score played by 26 pieces.

Dolly80
#192SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/15/23 at 10:43am

That’s some bad photoshop there.

Are AA and Josh G scheduled to do all 8 shows? Can’t wait for this and don’t want to miss either of them.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#193SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/15/23 at 2:01pm

It's only scheduled for 7 performances a week. It's unknown if and when they'd add an 8th performance. 

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#194SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/15/23 at 2:15pm

If we're talking optional material, I really hope they include the Beggar Woman's extra lullaby section (to the melody of "Poor Thing"SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting in the final sequence.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#195SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/15/23 at 2:43pm

My guess is we'll get the Judge's "Joanna" and "Beggar Woman's Lullaby." 

Also potentially up in the air:  the full "Contest" and full "Parlor Songs." I could do without the full version of the former, and my guess is we'll get the full "Parlor Songs."

My biggest hope is that we get the full organ "Prelude." It could be heard in full in the original Philharmonic concert, and a good portion of it is included on the 2012 London cast recording. It is such a perfectly creepy way to open the show. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#196SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/15/23 at 3:02pm

The extended Contest sequence and Parlor Songs are something that I enjoy on an album, but for a narrative musical that’s trying to move along the plot, I think they’re better off cut. We get Pirelli’s deal after the shave sequence, and it’s not like the show is lacking humor elsewhere.

The Judge’s flogging scene adds a great deal to the show and ups the stakes of Johanna’s escape. 

Jeff Tupolski Profile Photo
Jeff Tupolski
#197SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/15/23 at 3:48pm

I hope that the tooth pulling is included. It may seem unimportant, but it really highlights how abusive Pirelli is towards Toby, which helps show why he becomes so devoted to Lovett’s simple kindness later on.

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#198SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/15/23 at 4:24pm

Further, the tooth pulling, properly done, is the kind of dark comedy that elicits a sort of guilty laughter, and in a show packed with tension, it's important by whatever means necessary to leaven it by lightening up the mood for variety.

Besides, personally speaking, I wouldn't ask for the full "Contest" as most people know it anyway. I'd be advocating going back to what they did on Broadway originally: cut everything Pirelli sings before the first "To shave-a da face..."* Plenty of time for the tooth pulling then.

* (Despite what both Sondheim and Prince have said over the years, the tooth-pulling sequence was not cut from the original production in previews, borne out by a widely circulated bootleg video of Len Cariou and Angela Lansbury; what was gone by opening night was the "Now, Signorini, Signori..." section. Later productions, including the first national tour and the original London run, made the now-standard cut and restored half of "Now, Signorini, Signori...", with a small lyric adjustment that kept the Pope and dropped the Queen of Poland and her swollen tooth. The change was made early and became standard quickly, so we can forgive them for being confused.)

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Updated On: 1/15/23 at 04:24 PM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#199SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/16/23 at 9:20am

If we’re talking “cut” material that we’d like to see restored for this production (“cut” in quotes, since we’ve seen almost all of the original material in some combination over the years in other major productions), the only two to me that add story without spinning wheels are “Johanna (Mea Culpa)” and “Beggar Woman’s Lullaby”. I do love all of Pirelli’s contest material and the Beadle’s extended “Parlour Songs” (especially in the Doyle revival, I thought it was thrilling and wonderfully orchestrated), but they slow those moments waaay down in an already lengthy show.

Videos