pixeltracker

Unpopular theatre opinions- Page 9

Unpopular theatre opinions

JGPR2
#200Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 9/25/21 at 9:42pm

1. I actually liked the musical "Memphis" and thought Chad Kimball was pretty good in the role of Huey.

2. I hated "Noises Off", only show I ever ever thought of leaving before it ended.

3. Jekyll & Hyde (1997) should have received Tony nomination for Best Musical.

A.J.
#201Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/17/21 at 10:38pm

The original West End cast of Six is far superior to the original Broadway cast. 

sondheim94 Profile Photo
sondheim94
#202Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/18/21 at 8:11am

I truly don't get the hype around Come From Away. The score was serviceable but not memorable. There was no real scene-work - it was all just monologues delivered to us. More explaining, than showing. I was bored. The performances were good. Just hated the show as a show.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#203Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/18/21 at 8:20am

SIX is a cheap gimmick of a show that did absolutely nothing for me.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ArtMan
#204Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/18/21 at 8:43am

wsondheim94 said: "I truly don't get the hype around Come From Away. The score was serviceable but not memorable. There was no real scene-work - it was all just monologues delivered to us. More explaining, than showing. I was bored. Theperformanceswere good. Just hated the show as a show."

Thought the same for the most part.  Didn't hate it...but didn't love it either.  I am giving it a second chance on tour in December.

adotburr
#205Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/18/21 at 8:55am

ArtMan said: "wsondheim94 said: "I truly don't get the hype around Come From Away. The score was serviceable but not memorable. There was no real scene-work - it was all just monologues delivered to us. More explaining, than showing. I was bored. Theperformanceswere good. Just hated the show as a show."

Thought the same for the most part. Didn't hate it...but didn't love it either. I am giving it a second chance on tour in December.
"

Was supposed to see it in 2020 and I’m not rushing to see it now. I’ve listened to the music, saw a bootleg on YouTube, and seen enough on AppleTV that I think I would be bored out of my mind if I was actually there. Oddly enough, a coworker keeps telling me about how wonderful it is and to give it another try. So I’m thinking about doing a 2 show day with Come From Away and SIX eventually. 

she/her . “everything’s legal in new jersey”

sondheim94 Profile Photo
sondheim94
#206Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/18/21 at 10:28am

It's funny - there's always the argument of "filming broadway shows will hurt ticket sales". For me, this only applies if the show is bad. Come From Away is a prime example for me lol I'll save my money and see something else. Thanks AppleTV!

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#207Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/18/21 at 10:47am

I found Come From Away to be almost painfully tight. Everything is breathlessly scalpeled down to the millisecond, which is admirable in some respects but to me it came across as sort of mechanistic and sterile. The number of live musicals I haven't cried at is very short (lol), and it includes Come From Away, because it just didn't give me the emotional space to have my own moment of catharsis.

#208Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/18/21 at 10:54am

bwayphreak234 said: "SIX is a cheap gimmick of a show that did absolutely nothing for me."

After seeing it, all my unpopular opinions are now about Six. Nine songs total? 80 minutes? Did it even really have a book? Was it actually a musical or just a revue? How did this get to Broadway? Are we so thirsty for feminism that all it takes is a lot of YAS QUEEN energy and a first-draft of a show to make it to Broadway?

Even at 80 minutes the show struggles to fill that time. They call out all the band members twice. They pull the "I'm sorry, I can't hear you [audience cheers louder]" move three times during the show. There are like half a dozen variations on the same Anne Boleyn decapitation joke. They make a point to tell the audience that there are five minutes left, like they're trying to run out the clock.

The writing feels like it was done by a couple of fifty year olds who recently discovered the internet. A lot of "LOLs" and "epic fails" and "it was so extra". The show literally has the following exchange:

- "And a whole lot of history"
"Or as we like to call it... her-story." (All the queens laugh.)

How did no one cut this joke? It's such a basic joke it has its own Wikipedia page.

At its core, it has 6-7 good songs, and the rest is unbelievable garbage.

And it got raves.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#209Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/18/21 at 11:02am

6-7 good songs out of 9 aint so bad!

Sorry you didn't enjoy it more.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#210Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/18/21 at 11:22am

ctorres23 said: "bwayphreak234 said: "SIX is a cheap gimmick of a show that did absolutely nothing for me."

After seeing it, all my unpopular opinions are now about Six. Nine songs total? 80 minutes? Did it even really have a book? Was it actually a musical or just a revue? How did this get to Broadway? Are we so thirsty for feminism that all it takes is a lot of YAS QUEEN energy and a first-draft of a show to make it to Broadway?

Even at 80 minutes the showstrugglesto fill that time. They call out all the band members twice. They pull the "I'm sorry, I can't hear you [audience cheers louder]" move three times during the show. There are like half a dozen variations on the same Anne Boleyn decapitation joke. They make a point to tell the audience that there are five minutes left, like they're trying to run out the clock.

The writing feels like it was done by a couple of fifty year olds who recently discovered the internet. A lot of "LOLs" and "epic fails" and "it was so extra". The show literally has the following exchange:

- "And a whole lot of history"
-
"Or as we like to call it... her-story." (All the queens laugh.)

How did no one cut this joke? It's such a basic joke it has its own Wikipedia page.

At its core, it has 6-7 good songs, and the rest is unbelievable garbage.

And it got raves.
"

They call out the band members at the beginning and end of the show, akin to your average concert. This - alongside those “make some noise” shoutouts - would work very well on, say, a live Broadway cast recording, which is the route I hope SIX takes. 

Yes, the book is a mess and does not shy away from the basic and cliché regarding these royals. And yes, the Boleyn beheading joke got old quickly and almost made me dislike Macasaet’s portrayal. In her song, I’ll let that slide regarding “head” jokes, but otherwise? Once or twice would have been enough. 

SIX is likable at best - I will give that to you. But by no means is it a great show overall. 

Oh look, a bibu!

#211Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/18/21 at 11:24am

dramamama611 said: "6-7 good songs out of 9 aint so bad!"

If 6-7 songs is enough, which it seems like it is, Six has proven that Broadway should consider just taking regular pop-music albums that slap and turn them into substance-free shows. Don't need a set or costume changes or a book, just throw the album directly onto the stage with a bunch of actors and a little banter in between songs. It could be the future of Broadway.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#212Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/18/21 at 11:24am

Updated On: 10/18/21 at 11:24 AM

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#213Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/18/21 at 5:30pm

Patti Lupone is overrated.

Stephanatic

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#214Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/18/21 at 6:03pm

ctorres23 said: "dramamama611 said: "6-7 good songs out of 9 aint so bad!"

If 6-7 songs is enough, which it seems like it is, Six has proventhat Broadway should consider just taking regular pop-music albums that slap and turn them into substance-free shows. Don't need a set or costume changes or a book, just throw the album directly onto the stage with a bunch of actors and a little banter in between songs. It could be the future of Broadway.
"

I was joking...but 80% isn't terrible.

No, I dont think its s great show, but I had lots of fun at it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#215Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/19/21 at 9:33am

South Florida said: "Patti Lupone is overrated."

I was coming to say that exact same thing.  And she really needs to learn how to enunciate.  Also, I can't stand Many Patinkin's singing voice (particularly that he goes in his annoying whisper falsetto on notes that aren't even high).  

And I am going to get hate for this but, while I still love Sondheim, I don't think he is the god of musical theatre like everyone makes him out to be. 

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

saxpower
#216Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/19/21 at 1:22pm

spiderdj82 said: "South Florida said: "Patti Lupone is overrated."

I was coming to say that exact same thing. And she really needs to learn how to enunciate. Also, I can't stand Many Patinkin's singing voice (particularly that he goes in his annoying whisper falsetto on notes that aren't even high).

And I am going to get hate for this but, while I still love Sondheim, I don't think he is the god of musical theatre like everyone makes him out to be.

I think she is quite talented, but I just don't like her attitude at times.  I saw one of the Broadway documentaries and she basically kept praising herself over others.  For example,belittiling actors who require a body mic to be heard throughout the theatre, while noting SHE is able to do it without a mic, had to do it once, and the audience was obviously happy to hear someone singing that way.  Also, say what you will about Madonna in the Evita movie (I actually thought she did quite well..made me feel sorry for Eva at the end), but there was no cause for Patti to say Madonna "couldn't act her way out of a paper bag".  Just not appropriate to say that.  Sorry if she's upset she didnt get to do the film, but by the time it was made, she was too old for the role.   I sympathize with her, but no need to criticize the actress that ended up with the role. 

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#217Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/19/21 at 4:52pm

saxpower said: "Also, say what you will about Madonna in the Evita movie (I actually thought she did quite well..made me feel sorry for Eva at the end), but there was no cause for Patti to say Madonna "couldn't act her way out of a paper bag". Just not appropriate to say that. Sorry if she's upset she didnt get to do the film, but by the time it was made, she was too old for the role. I sympathize with her, but no need to criticize the actress that ended up with the role."

That reminds me of another unpopular opinion - I *much* prefer the movie soundtrack of Evita over the Broadway Cast Recording. 

But, yes, she is VERY diva-ish for no reason and that makes me dislike her more. 

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Updated On: 10/19/21 at 04:52 PM

hearthemsing22
#218Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/19/21 at 10:21pm

I don’t think this is necessarily unpopular but I would just like to remind people.

If you’re interested in a show, don’t listen to anyone else or what they say about it. The only person who can determine if they want to see a show or not and spend money on it is YOU. I see too many people asking if a show is worth seeing. If it interests you-GO :) it’s not up to anyone else.

I’m aware this kind of goes without saying but again I see too many people asking for advice instead of just doing what would make them happy with their own money.

fosterfan2
#219Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/20/21 at 12:49pm

Kristin Chenoweth has a beautiful voice and great talent,but I'm getting tired of her ditzy act and those silly videos she keeps making,the ones that BWW post. Those videos are annoying.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#220Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/20/21 at 12:57pm

but there was no cause for Patti to say Madonna "couldn't act her way out of a paper bag". Just not appropriate to say that.

No cause? It's her opinion which she is allowed to have. What a weird thing to say on a thread titled "Unpopular theater opinions".

Madonna has no talent and cannot act. There, I gave my unpopular opinion and feels great! 

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#221Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/20/21 at 1:48pm

The only show I've hated so much that I never want to see ever again is 'The Girl From the North Country". So boring, feels like nothing happens, the music doesn't further the plot. It's like a bunch of people at the Port Authority is doing a musical.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Alex Kulak2
#222Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/20/21 at 1:57pm

Groundhog Day is the best film-to-stage adaptation since Little Shop of Horrors, and it's one of the few shows that improves upon it's source material.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#223Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/20/21 at 2:01pm

Goddamnit Alex, I 100% AGREE. IT'S SUCH A PERFECT SHOW. 

soulmistin Profile Photo
soulmistin
#224Unpopular theatre opinions
Posted: 10/22/21 at 2:05am

Charley Kringas Inc said: "I found Come From Away to be almost painfully tight. Everything is breathlessly scalpeled down to the millisecond, which is admirable in some respectsbut to me it came across as sort of mechanistic and sterile. The number of live musicals I haven't cried at is very short (lol), and it includes Come From Away, because it just didn't give me the emotional space to have my own moment of catharsis."

I love Come From Away and also sort of found myself feeling like this. The first time I saw it was deeply cathartic for me, but not so much after that. I appreciate how diligently put together the whole thing is, but it’s almost confusing. It’s like there’s a gun to the performance’s head and the trigger will be pulled if it goes over 100 minutes. Like why not utilize the extra half hour most shows get? Even if it brings about no real new content, even just a few more moments each in each scene would’ve done so much.  

Videos