pixeltracker

FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 94

FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

FranklinDickson2018
#2325FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 9:22pm

When Streisand left Funny Girl, Mimi Hines kept it going quite nicely for what?  A year?  A year and a half?  In any case the show is THE STAR here.  Let audiences just adore Julie Benko (and they will).  I hope it isn't Lea Michele or similar.  I think Benko would be amazing to continue in this.   I think also for the "star" they could get a big star for Mrs. Brice.  Like the used to do for "Showboat" or "Carousel".   Get a big name for Captain Andy or the Starkeeper. 

pmensky
#2326FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 9:28pm

FranklinDickson2018 said: "When Streisand left Funny Girl, Mimi Hines kept it going quite nicely for what? A year? A year and a half? In any case the show is THE STAR here. Let audiences just adore Julie Benko (and they will). I hope it isn't Lea Michele or similar. I think Benko would be amazing to continue in this. I think also for the "star" they could get a big star for Mrs. Brice. Like the used to do for "Showboat" or "Carousel". Get a big name for Captain Andy or the Starkeeper."

Sorry, but most of the reviews I’ve seen and heard have said that the show is not good. While Benko might be  a wonderful Fanny, if the show isn’t good and there’s no big name attached to it, then it’ll be an uphill battle to sell it through the holidays.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#2327FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 9:53pm

I think if the plan were for Benko to replace Feldstein, they would be painting a different narrative, i.e. one in which they sell the understudy becoming the star.  If Beanie wants an early out and they thought Benko could replace her, why wait until September? I instead suspect they are eyeing someone (a name) who isn't available until the fall.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#2328FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 9:53pm

Get me Sarah Squirm Sherman as the alternate Fanny. It’ll become a must see for all the wrong, right reasons… and probably only go on for one show before the Styne or Brice estate pulls the plug.

PipingHotPiccolo
#2329FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 10:29pm

Bette's Turban said: "PipingHotPiccolo said: "Lainie Kazan = a genius idea, and I bet shed jump to do it.

VERY eager to here any substantiation for the implication above that Beanie was let out of her contract early, ie fired. I don't buy it for a second-- why would the producers care when the show is selling well and audiences (that arent the less than 1% who post here) are liking her? Im guessing she's trying to put this nasty experience behind her, and will stay the hell away from Broadway for a long time.
"

When Jane Lynch co hosted The View a few weeks ago, she said that she was leaving the show in September.. but that Beanie would remain much longer. You can look it up. This departure was not planned.
"

She had a year-long contract; she also certainly had opt-outs in it. I know shes leaving early (I'm guessing her reception by the Broadway community has sent her running), but thats different than the producers firing her, giving her three months to finish, because she isnt well liked by the Broadway nerds in these parts. I dont believe for one second the producers care one iota what these boards are sniping about so long as the show is selling well, which it has with and without her.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#2330FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 10:32pm

TaffyDavenport said: "https://www.justjared.com/2022/06/15/broadways-next-fanny-brice-who-should-replace-beanie-feldstein-in-funny-girl-vote-in-our-poll/"

Julie Benko leading in the poll 106 votes 41% yes

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Dolly80
#2331FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 10:44pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "Bette's Turban said: "PipingHotPiccolo said: "Lainie Kazan = a genius idea, and I bet shed jump to do it.

VERY eager to here any substantiation for the implication above that Beanie was let out of her contract early, ie fired. I don't buy it for a second-- why would the producers care when the show is selling well and audiences (that arent the less than 1% who post here) are liking her? Im guessing she's trying to put this nasty experience behind her, and will stay the hell away from Broadway for a long time.
"

When Jane Lynch co hosted The View a few weeks ago, she said that she was leaving the show in September.. but that Beanie would remain much longer. You can look it up. This departure was not planned.
"

She had a year-long contract; she also certainly had opt-outs in it. I know shes leaving early (I'm guessing her reception by the Broadway community has sent her running), but thats different than the producers firing her, giving her three months to finish, because she isnt well liked by the Broadway nerds in these parts. I dont believe for one second the producers care one iota what these boards are sniping about so long as the show is selling well, which it has with and without her.
"

Erm, her reviews were bad and the show got 1 Tony nomination. There’s a bigger picture here than some message board not liking Beanie as Fanny. Beanie has sunk the show.

daisybeetle Profile Photo
daisybeetle
#2332FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 10:55pm

Dinah Manoff as Mrs. Brice.

Emmeline Carter
#2333FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 11:00pm

If they're going the star casting route, Rachel Bloom as Fanny Brice would be amazing! 

bk
#2334FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/15/22 at 11:09pm

Of course, she had a year contract. Of course, the producers didn't fire her, for God's sake. Her father is a major investor in the show. Who didn't see this coming, is the more obvious question. The more likely question is how will her show attendance be from now until September? One assumes that she and her folks and her team all thought this would be a slam dunk for her - it's the opposite and I'm sure they all want her out of this as soon as possible, but they also have to spin it.

PipingHotPiccolo
#2335FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/16/22 at 12:37am

bk said: "Of course, she had a year contract. Of course, the producers didn't fire her, for God's sake. "

You say this (and its of course true) but then we have people posting on here that Beanie sunk the show. Sunk, I guess, meaning "playing to full houses and adoring audiences"? I didnt love this show but the problem wasn't Beanie, it was the almost-cruel direction and a creaky, unsupportable book. What clicked in the 60s isn't gonna click today. AND YET the show is doing well! The idea that Beanie sunk it, or is being chased out so someone else can come and save it, is delusional.

bk
#2336FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/16/22 at 2:26am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "bk said: "Of course, she had a year contract. Of course, the producers didn't fire her, for God's sake. "

You say this (and its of course true) but then we have people posting on here that Beanie sunk the show. Sunk, I guess, meaning "playing to full houses and adoring audiences"? I didnt love this show but the problem wasn't Beanie, it was the almost-cruel direction and a creaky, unsupportable book. What clicked in the 60s isn't gonna click today. AND YET the show is doing well! The idea that Beanie sunk it, or is being chased out so someone else can come and save it, is delusional.

"

I've never said she sunk the show. I just think she's had it - it's too negative for her now. I think the director has been very lucky in his career - sometimes he connects with material and many times he doesn't - he should never have been let anywhere near Funny Girl, IMO. The book works fine if the director knows how to make it work and how to pace it.

OMG U Guyz
#2337FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/16/22 at 3:50am

Her TV series got picked up so she’s unavailable atm

He replied
#2338FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/16/22 at 7:52am

They are not going to replace Feldstein with an unknown. Benko is an unknown. Feldstein is a name whether you like her or not. 

Funny Girl is the grail of musicals. A modest success was not what they wanted. They’re going for redemption. Press says Lady Gaga is eyeing broadway. Her tour concludes in Sept. Films are in rumor stage. Gaga has the lungs, talent, fans, and the absolute star power. And she’s this generation’s Streisand

Updated On: 6/16/22 at 07:52 AM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2339FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/16/22 at 8:11am

He replied said: "They are not going to replace Feldstein with an unknown. Benko is an unknown. Feldstein is a name whether you like her or not.

Funny Girl is the grail of musicals. A modest success was not what they wanted. They’re going for redemption. Press says Lady Gaga is eyeing broadway. Her tour concludes in Sept. Films are in rumor stage. Gaga has the lungs, talent, fans, and the absolute star power. And she’s this generation’s Streisand
"

There is absolutely 0% chance of Lady Gaga being a replacement for Feldstein in this lackluster, subpar, and cheap revival. It's just not going to happen. Ever.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#2340FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/16/22 at 8:43am

It will be Lea Michele

PipingHotPiccolo
#2341FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/16/22 at 8:44am

bk said: "PipingHotPiccolo said: "bk said: "Of course, she had a year contract. Of course, the producers didn't fire her, for God's sake. "

"

I've never said she sunk the show. I just think she's had it - it's too negative for her now. I think the director has been very lucky in his career - sometimes he connects with material and many times he doesn't - he should never have been let anywhere near Funny Girl, IMO. The book works fine if the director knows how to make it work and how to pace it.

"

I agree with all of this bk, and was referring to someone else re "sunk the show" which I think was a direct quote? I had never seen Funny Girl before, knew nothing about it except that it launched Streisand, and my honest reaction when I saw it in April was (i) Beanie is fine, pedestrian singing but incredibly likeable and great comic timing; (ii) this production feels flimsy and misguided; and (iii) the underlying story is ultimately about a talented woman who throws it away for a douchebag of a man. In the 60s that choice might make sense, but now? Its a relic.

And it feels like people are very angry at Beanie and Mayer and whoever else that the show is inherently just bad with some nice songs (some of which, on closer inspection, dont even make much sense.). Michael Mayer did the show NO favors but he was working with a pile of nostalgia--which nostalgia is getting people into the seats, which maybe all we can hope for from Funny Girl. 

felixleiter
#2342FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/16/22 at 9:01am

Here is what happened-She stayed home due to covid for an extended period and it hit home that she really wasn't happy and that it all was too much.   Regardless of what the cheerleaders here would make you believe, she and the people around her (cast, crew, creative, management,etc) all know that the result of all her hard work is a performance that is not what it "should" be.  We can debate back and forth on what the "should" is supposed to be, but regardless, the intent of this was to be financially successful and also to be star making vehicle for Feldstein.  This revival of Funny Girl is not that. 

As has been discussed-leading up to her illness,  her attendance was spotty due to her not being able to able to mentally and physically go out on stage 8 times a week and perform to an acceptable level.  Negotiations were going on to formally set a schedule for Benko to regularly go on.  The Covid diagnosis put a bit of a snag on that and with that already on the table leading into a forced removal from her responsibility, it accelerated the timeline for her to remove that responsibility permanently.  

She wasn't fired.  It's the opposite

soxboy22
#2343FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/16/22 at 9:29am

BrodyFosse123 said: "poisonivy2 said: "Sarah Jessica Parker? I could see her giving off Jewish mama energy."

SJP wouldn’t do a bit featured role plus she’s busy post-PLAZA SUITE and Season 2 of … AND JUST LIKE THAT begins production in the Fall.
"

We also don’t know how SJP lines up with Ramin astrologically. <ducking and running>

verywellthensigh
#2344FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/16/22 at 9:37am

I can't imagine any real "name" being cast in this cardboard sailboat.

They'll probably cast Vanessa Hudgens or someone like that and the show will close within a couple of months.

Georgeanddot2 Profile Photo
Georgeanddot2
#2345FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/16/22 at 9:40am

Um this show is selling super well with no stars.  The show is the star.  It's in no danger of closing with the understudy in the lead.

Amos Hart2
#2346FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/16/22 at 10:00am

BrodyFosse123 said: "FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

That drawing of Jane Lynch is horrible.  It reminds me of a comic book character from the 1970s -- The Joker's Daughter.  Change the hair color to green and she could wreak havoc in Gotham City.

And in case you need convincing...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2126/6897/products/img806_470x.jpg?v=1551570439

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#2347FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/16/22 at 10:10am

Georgeanddot2 said: "Um this show is selling super well with no stars. The show is the star. It's in no danger of closing with the understudy in the lead."

This is a misleading argument as the show had a massive advance before the reviews came out and at this point only maybe 25% of the performances Julie Banko has gone on for were pre-announced to ticket buyers. It is a different mindset to buy tickets to see Julie Banko as Fanny, vs buying tickets fully priced to see Feldstein then being told Julie is going on and deciding not to exchange them...

bobby bubby
#2348FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/16/22 at 10:49am

Deuxmoi (an anonymous celeb gossip account) has posted today on Instagram that Lea Michele will be taking over (the cast was told today). They are sometimes wrong, but they had info on Ramin Karimloo's casting in the production way back in August 2021 when it was officially announced October. 

Updated On: 6/16/22 at 10:49 AM

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#2349FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/16/22 at 11:23am

I think Lea Michelle’s ego has been brought down a couple pegs, and it’s her dream done, so I can’t imagine her saying no if it is offered to her.

Remember when Benanti replaced Ambrose in MFL after being open about her disappointment about not even being considered to open the production? It would be the same basic situation. And Lea Michelle would sell at least some tickets even though she is no longer really a “star.” I can’t imagine any A-listers like Gaga would want to do it, so I can totally see the producers offering it to Lea.

Videos