Favorite Roundabout Production

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#1Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 5:55pm

There have been so many wonderful productions, yes there have been major disappointments throughout the years, of so many wonderful musicals from Roundabout. What is your favorite.

Nothing can top their groundbreaking Cabaret for me. Sunday, Assassins, and 110 are also tops on my list.

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#2re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 5:57pm

Cabaret, Sunday in the Park

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#2re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 6:05pm

ASSASSINS.

Almost made up for FOLLIES. Almost.

P

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#3re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 6:09pm

I adored every minute of PAL JOEY. I thought the production was a dark, brooding masterpiece. Martha was perfection, Stockard broke my heart and I though Matt Risch was wonderful as the broken playboy with a past. I thought the staging and songs were gorgeous. I saw it twice. I wish they recorded it.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#4re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 6:17pm

I also actually thought that Pal Joey, for the most part, was a very strong production...EXCEPT for Matthew Risch, who was unfortunately the star. He wasn't terrible, but the word "mediocre" was created for his performance. I liked the rest of the cast and I really, really liked the set. I liked the tone they brought to the show.

I also loved their Threepenny Opera, which was not very popular, either.

The first act of Apple Tree was wonderful, but the rest of it sucked simply because the rest of the material sucks. You can't start off with something that poignant and then go the way that show goes...

I wish I had seen Roundabout's Assassins, I love the recording and would probably be my favorite of their musical productions. As is, I guess it is Threepenny.

EDIT: Somehow forgot about Sunday in the Park...but does that really count, as a transfer?

EDIT: Forgot 110 in The Shade. Good production of a totally forgettable show.

Not counting plays here...

Updated On: 9/13/09 at 06:17 PM

bwaylvsong
#5re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 7:08pm

110 in the Shade!!!!

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#6re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 7:08pm

While I highly enjoyed last season's WAITING FOR GODOT, my favorite production from RTC remains TWELVE ANGRY MEN.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#7re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 7:18pm

She Loves Me, Cabaret, Assassins, The Pajama Game and Sunday in the Park with George were all wonderful productions, in my opinion.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

#8re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 7:45pm

She Loves Me was great, and seems to have been kinda forgotten. I'm not sure Sunday counts IMHo though I suppose technically it does (I didn't see it though I did see the same production with a diff cast in Seattle and loved it). Pacific Overtures didn't work as well for me (maybe because I've seen the film fot he original magnificent Hal prince production too many times) but that was in many ways a transfer too wasn't it? Or is it more like their revival of Cabaret which used the Mendes/Donmar production as a starting point?

If the Cast album is any repsresentation, I have to say I would not haveliked the Assassins production though I know i'm in the minority--bad miscasting, etc

Obviously Follies has to go near the bottom of the list--while far far from perfect the fact that Papermill's was SOO much better speaks volumes. Their 95 Company was better if maybe lacking in a certain feeling of energy or vision--it seems to have been kinda forgotten despite a good cast album as well.

Didn't they do a notoriously awful Bacharach Revue with Anne Reinking? And are we only talking about their musicals here?

Updated On: 9/13/09 at 07:45 PM

RockabyeHamlet
#9re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 7:56pm

Assassins and Sunday in the Park with George

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

Chrysanthemum62001
#10re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 8:30pm

Cabaret and Assassins. Though Sunday in the Park with George wouldn't be far behind. I was actually thinking about Cabaret today.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

#11re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 8:33pm

Have only seen a few but Pajama Game was my favorite.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#12re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 8:42pm

I've only ever seen Sunday, but that was pretty darn good.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Dollypop
#13re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 8:45pm

>>>"I've only ever seen Sunday"<<<

Huh?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

AndAllThatJazz22
#14re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 8:52pm

Cabaret, Cabaret, Cabaret, and Cabaret! That production was a fresh, modern take on a classical musical. It was an innovate update and showed Cabaret in a completely different light. The cast was perfect, the direction was perfect, the updates were perfect, what more can you ask for in a revival?!?! Not only was Cabaret the best Roundabout production, but it was probably one of the best revivals of a musical in theatrical history.

As for a Roundabout show that WASN'T a transfer of another production, I would probably have to go with 110 in the Shade.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.
Updated On: 9/13/09 at 08:52 PM

TheatreFreak05 Profile Photo
TheatreFreak05
#15re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 8:55pm

Sunday in the Park With George!

I will love Roundabout forever for transferring that beautiful production re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Updated On: 9/13/09 at 08:55 PM

AndAllThatJazz22
#16re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 9:24pm

Excuse my ignorance, but was Roundabout a transfer production?

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#17re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 9:27pm

Yes. The production started at the Menier Chocolate Factory in London, then transferred to the West End and eventually transferred to Broadway with Roundabout.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#18re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 9:46pm

I haven't seen a huge amount of their productions, but my favorites that I've seen are Sunday in the Park and 110...I was too young for Cabaret and Assassins unfortunately but I wish I could have seen those as well.

I also thought Kristin Chenoweth was great in The Apple Tree but the material sucked.

sipos
#19re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 9:50pm

She Loves Me. Judy Kuhn, Boyd Gaines, Sally Mayes, Jonathan Freeman, Brad Kane, Lee Wilkof, Howard McGillin ...
What a wonderful cast.

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#20re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 10:20pm

PAJAMA GAME - the production nailed it perfectly!

Several others have been impressive and satisfying, but PJ was about as ideal as it gets.

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

kchenofan Profile Photo
kchenofan
#21re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 10:24pm

First act of Apple Tree was great, second was garbage, third was kind of cute. Kristin did a great job with what they gave her, though.

kchenofan's computer is broken right now. This is her fridge. Now, you can leave a message, but say it slowly, so I can write it on a post-it note and stick it to myself.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#22re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 10:25pm

I've only seen a few, but "A Man For All Seasons."

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#23re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/13/09 at 11:24pm

^ Wow, you REALLY must have only seen a few then. And the others must have been Hedda and The Philanthropist.

Roundabout's top production for me will always be The Pajama Game, followed closely by the magnificent production of 110 in the Shade. I missed Cabaret at Studio 54, but I am sure I would have loved that too.

NakedMaid Profile Photo
NakedMaid
#24re: Favorite Roundabout Production
Posted: 9/14/09 at 10:52am

While I loved CABARET it was a transfer and they do deserve credit for moving it here (the same goes for SUNDAY).

I think one of >THEIR< best productions was NINE.

Videos