Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American history

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
KirbyCat
GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#2re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/1/09 at 5:15pm

Says the person with elphaba as their user name. Besides the fact that it's a link to a Wicked Messageboard. Jeez.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

bubbleblonde
#3re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/1/09 at 5:22pm

It's a forum for a fandom that's like mormonism or scientology, they probably think Idina Menzel is the second coming too.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#4re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/1/09 at 5:33pm

Gypsy, not everyone who has Elphaba as part of their username or who posts on a Wicked message board is an uneducated fangirl/fanfoy. Btw, I created this username in early 2004. Back when I was an uneducated fangirl. re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/1/09 at 5:50pm

At least it's just the OP that seemed warped in her sensibilities. Maybe the OP just doesn't know what INFLUENTIAL actually means!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

AwesomeDanny
#6re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/1/09 at 5:54pm

The link isn't working for me...

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#7re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/1/09 at 5:58pm

Here's what the person said:

"For a school project we had to do a project on the most influenceial people in Amrican history. I want to do Stephen Schwartz, but am having some touble. We have to write 5 sentences for each of the following questions. So if anyone has any suggestions for these 2 answeres, thanks. BTW question 1 and 2 can't be the same.

Questions that I have to answere about Stephen Swartz as though I am hi,
1) what event had the greatest impact on your life and why?
2) What is your biggest accomplishment and why?"

defygravity24 Profile Photo
defygravity24
#8re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/1/09 at 6:14pm

Okay I'm a big Wicked fan but to call Stephen Schwartz influential in American History is completely ridiculous.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#9re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/1/09 at 6:16pm

" If the OP thinks that he was influential then he was."

HAHAHAHA

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#10re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/1/09 at 6:44pm

He isn't even influential in the Broadway Community. And even some of the Wicked fan base thinks he isn't influential.

Dollypop
#11re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/1/09 at 6:51pm

>>>"Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American history"<<<

Yup. That's right. And Corine's Corner just won the Nobel Prize for Journalism.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

.x.EdEnEsPiNosA.x.
#12re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/1/09 at 7:10pm

I'm the most influential person in Mexican history.

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#13re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/1/09 at 11:32pm

Ugghhhh... what has WICKED done to the youth of our nation?!?!?

When I think about you, I touch myself.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#14re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/1/09 at 11:36pm

So this person not only picked Schwartz as one of the most influential people in American history, but they can't even answer the damn essay questions?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Gobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
#15re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/2/09 at 2:33am

Remember when kids used to write papers about, like, Abe Lincoln and Rosa Parks and stuff? That was fun. Let's go back to that.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#16re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/2/09 at 2:48am

I think it is possible to be a Wicked fan AND realize that Schwartz isn't even close to being one of the most influential people in American history.

The OP on that thread is mistaking most influential in their life and most influential in history. I can't even think of any reason why Schwartz is influential in musical theatre history let alone American history. Enjoy his work but don't fool yourself into thinking he's had a major impact on American history. I wouldn't even put Sondheim on the list of most influential people in American history.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#17re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/2/09 at 7:24am

"I think it is possible to be a Wicked fan AND realize that Schwartz isn't even close to being one of the most influential people in American history."

Exactly. If the OP on the Wicked message board can't even answer the questions, how has Schwartz been influential (in American History or in the OP's life)? If he picked someone such as George Washington, Abraham Lincoln or Susan B. Anthony, the answers would be no-brainers.

Why do people need to make things more difficult for themselves?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
fgreene1938 Profile Photo
fgreene1938
#19re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/2/09 at 9:04am

Like...OMG!!! I mean, like, I was gonna say Thomas Jefferson or Martin Luther King but, like, picking Stephen Schwartz is so totally awesome!! Was he a member of the first continental congress?

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#20re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/2/09 at 2:09pm

Stephen Schwartz can be the most influential person in America if we lived in a hyper reality. For example, P Obama could win the Nobel Peace Prize. Oh, wait...!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#21re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/2/09 at 2:35pm

Obama deserved that prize more than Schwartz that title.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

broadwayrob
#22re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/2/09 at 3:42pm

I agree with everything everyone is saying with one exception.. I don't know if it's fair to say he's not influential in the theatre community.. much like ALW his best work is MUCH behind him.. but Pippin, Godspell, The Bakers Wife? All good shows and very influential at the time.

anything you do let it come from you and it will be new.

TheActorFactor1 Profile Photo
TheActorFactor1
#23re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/2/09 at 5:35pm

Perhaps the student in question should pick an individual with whom they do not have trouble with.. after all, it appears that this is a school assignment- wouldn't answering those two questions be "cheating"?

dayao Profile Photo
dayao
#24re: Stephen Schwartz is one of the most influential people in American hist
Posted: 11/2/09 at 8:11pm

I think this quote says it all about the state of our educational system and the student in question:
"I long-ago realized that this country is a nation of
morons, when it comes to knowledge of anything outside, or beyond, pop culture."
- Steve Slezak

"I long-ago realized that this country is a nation of morons, when it comes to knowledge of anything outside, or beyond, pop culture." Steve Slezak