News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

What do people think of Miss Saigon?

What do people think of Miss Saigon?

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#1What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/12/10 at 7:00pm

I'm currently the stage manager for Miss Saigon at school and I LOVE the show. It's rarely talked about on here and I was just wondering what people think of it?

webcomix Profile Photo
webcomix
#2What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/12/10 at 7:04pm

I love Miss Saigon. Though my friend and I have also dubbed it as "the saddest musical ever written." (Note: This is opinion.)
Updated On: 4/12/10 at 07:04 PM

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#2What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/12/10 at 7:08pm

I love the show. I was a little too young to really appreciate it when i saw it on Broadway with Lea Salonga and Will Chase, but last year I had the opportunity to play John and I just completely fell in love with it.

Mattbrain
#3What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/12/10 at 7:20pm

I adore Miss Saigon! I saw it when it came to Boston in '99. I was way too young to understand what the heck was going on. But I really liked it. Then in '07, I was in the ensemble. I also got a solo. It went something like this:

"Out of my way if that's all that you've got!"

G'night folks!

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#4What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/12/10 at 7:31pm

I had a solo too!

It went something like this:

"Shut up bi*ch! I don't wanna hear it."

Q
#5What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/12/10 at 7:33pm

I try not to.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#6What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/12/10 at 7:42pm

I love the show. I first saw it twice back in May of 1991, right after it opened - and, before the Tony nominations were announced.

Remember.....that was back in the day when you had to order your tickets months and months ahead of time, via the US Mail. By the time I saw the show, I had my tickets for over a year. And, then show was cancelled due to Jonathan Pryce's casting. I just knew that the show would still happen. So, I didn't mail my tickets back....NO WAY!

A very dear friend of mine, who has since passed away, saw the very first performance of "Miss Saigon" in London. His ticket was for the 2nd preview. But, the 1st preview was cancelled, so by sheer luck he was in the audience that very first night.
Updated On: 4/12/10 at 07:42 PM

SporkGoddess
#7What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/12/10 at 7:42pm

I LOVE Miss Saigon. It's my favorite musical of all time. I know objectively that it's not the best musical, but everytime I've seen it I've been blown away.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#8What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/12/10 at 7:57pm

Glad to hear that people like it. I can see how it could be an incredible show or an awful one depending on how it's done. Our leads are all incredible but the ensemble is not very good. We had an abnormally small amount of people to audition this year so everyone who auditioned was cast. I think some just audition for the sale of auditioning because their friends were, etc. But hopefully when we get a full set and lights it will all come together.

Bwaynerd Profile Photo
Bwaynerd
#9What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/12/10 at 8:04pm

<3<3<3<3 They have to revive this show soon!

"(in a sweedish accent) Oh! What a lovely T-shirt you are wearing!"- Catherine Zeta-Jones refering to my ALNM shirt at the CD signing. Say NO to drugs and YES to Jackie Hoffman Live At Joes Pub! "ITS THE DAY OF THE SHOW YA'LL!!"-Bwaynerd

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#10What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/12/10 at 8:13pm

I love it. It has some great music.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

eatlasagna
#11What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/12/10 at 10:06pm

i'm addicted to this show it's scary! you know how everyone has that one show, movie, sports team, whatever that they get all crazy about?? well this is definitely what does it for me!!! haha

ever since 1995 after seeing the national tour.. i saw the show about 30 times since.. hell, i once saw it twice in one day because i wanted to see two different KIMS!!! haha... and i have an INSANE amount of you know whats... i can honestly say that i have heard almost EVERY single KIM who performed the show in London, Broadway, and the tours!!! even understudies!!!

and this is definitely one of those shows where the casting is everything... if your leads can't perform the roles right... then the cheesiness of the lyrics will really become apparent...

geez I love this show... and like SporkGoddess said.. it's very imperfect... i will ALWAYS admit that... but dammit I still love it

iamchanging9 Profile Photo
iamchanging9
#12What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/12/10 at 10:16pm

def boubil and schoenberg's best work, not to mention one of the greatest musicals of the past 50 years.

...everyone was doing the mambo and drinking golden cadillacs...

MusicalLover6 Profile Photo
MusicalLover6
#13What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/12/10 at 10:42pm

Miss Saigon is a gritty musical, but it's one that I think you either like it or you don't. For me, I like it, but I don't love it. For me, I can only listen to the London Cast. (Though people compare Simon Bowman to a sheep a lot, but his voice doesn't bother me.)

Glad there are others who enjoy it. :)

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#14What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/12/10 at 11:13pm

Miss Saigon was one of the most emotional production I've ever seen. My favorite production!

By the way......Happy anniversary to Miss Saigon and its alumni! Miss Saigon opened on Broadway on April 11, 1991 featuring Lea Salonga (Kim), Jonathan Pryce (The Engineer), Willy Falk (Chris), Hinton Battle (John), Barry Bernal (Thuy), Liz Callaway (Ellen), Marina Chapa (Gigi), Brian Baldomero (Tam) & Company.

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley
Updated On: 4/13/10 at 11:13 PM

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#15What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/12/10 at 11:17pm

LOVE this musical. LOVE.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#16What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/13/10 at 12:58am

Prefer the earlier version, than the update newer one.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#17What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/13/10 at 1:07am

I remember watching Miss Saigon one night and Les Miz the next. I much preferred Miss Saigon. Seeing Lea Salonga as Kim may have influenced my preference, but I think it's better storytelling overall. Of the megamusicals, it's one of the better ones I'd say.

~Steven

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#18What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/13/10 at 1:32am

I liked this show, way better than Les Miz. Yet, not among my top 20. I love "The Movie in my Mind"

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#19What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/13/10 at 3:11am

Agree..Lea Salonga was phenomenal as Kim. Price was god too as The Engineer (although I slightly preferred Kevin Grey who played it in Toronto - he brought a seductive sexy quality to balance the character's avaricious side.)

I did think the show was a step down from LES MIZ, which I consider the best of all the big operatic musicals that came along in the 1980s and early 90's. In fact each succeeding Schoenberg-Boublil score impressed me less and less.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

never_has_been Profile Photo
never_has_been
#20What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/13/10 at 4:34am

I love Miss Saigon, it is easily my favorite show ever. Two girls I took voice with sang I Still Believe and I was obsessed from the moment I heard it. I listened to the cast recording nearly daily. It wasn’t until six years later I was finally able to see it performed by a non-equity tour cast, and was not disappointed. Such a beautiful show, I hope it gets a revival someday.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#21What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/13/10 at 5:03am

It has always struck me as being a bit slow moving, however it has a subtlety and nuance that sets it apart from Les Mis and the like.

If only the music in the second act wasn't so same-ish.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#22What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/13/10 at 2:29pm

How can anyone prefer Miss Saigon to Les Miz? It's not in the same league. It's a BIG step down.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#23What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/13/10 at 3:29pm

Les Miserable is one of the best musicals to come out, I saw it a month ago again in the West End and it is still getting full standing ovations after 25 years.

That is not to say Miss Saigon is not a very good show, which it is, to do it justice for a full revival it would need to be fully stages and cast to make it worthy of a West End or Broadway stage again, but this would be fully expensive,

Cearsgk Profile Photo
Cearsgk
#24What do people think of Miss Saigon?
Posted: 4/13/10 at 3:47pm

Re: "gritty", I saw it with friends and their 13 year old. The teenager was MORTIFIED. It's not Mary Poppins.

"It ain't no myst'ry If it's politics or hist'ry The thing you gotta know is Ev'rything is show biz" - Mel Brooks

Videos