Favorite Theater in NYC

Bwaynerd Profile Photo
Bwaynerd
#1Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/28/10 at 4:25pm

Lunt-Fon, Marquis

"(in a sweedish accent) Oh! What a lovely T-shirt you are wearing!"- Catherine Zeta-Jones refering to my ALNM shirt at the CD signing. Say NO to drugs and YES to Jackie Hoffman Live At Joes Pub! "ITS THE DAY OF THE SHOW YA'LL!!"-Bwaynerd

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#2Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/28/10 at 4:28pm

St. James, Booth

Gothampc
#2Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/28/10 at 4:38pm

Mark Hellinger

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#3Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/28/10 at 4:39pm

Shubert

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#4Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/28/10 at 4:41pm

On Broadway: The Belasco, The Booth, The Brooks Atkinson, The Music Box, The Vivian Beaumont

Off Broadway: The Delacorte, The Mitzi Newhouse, The Lucille Lortel

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#5Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/28/10 at 4:55pm

Circle in the Square
Most Intimate

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#6Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/28/10 at 5:03pm

New Amsterdam- that has to be my absolute favorite!
Lunt-Fontanne
Henry Miller's (I refuse to call it the Sondheim)
Al Hirschfeld

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#7Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/28/10 at 7:49pm

Winter Garden
Belasco
St. James
Walter Kerr
Shubert
Plymouth

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#8Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/28/10 at 8:05pm

I really like the Friedman.

jo
#9Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/28/10 at 8:45pm

The Imperial Theatre.

Scott Briefer
#10Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/28/10 at 9:01pm

I am so confused by this thread... Some of those listed are the worst Broadway houses. (There are some of my favorites listed, too)

I just don't understand the taste of some people.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#11Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/28/10 at 9:02pm

I love the Palace. It was the first Broadway theatre I was ever in and I still think it's beautiful.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#12Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/28/10 at 9:07pm

Richard Rodgers - for its sightlines.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#13Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/28/10 at 9:08pm

New Amsterdam
Hellinger

Poster Emeritus

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#14Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/28/10 at 9:16pm

To quote Jordan, "I love the Palace. It was the first Broadway theatre I was ever in and I still think it's beautiful".

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#15Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/28/10 at 10:02pm

The Delacorte...nothing beats outdoor theatre.

On Broadway, though, the O'Neill, because Sweeney Todd was the production that made me fall in love with Sondheim, and inspired me to actually pursue theatre professionally. I saw that show so many times, and the theatre still feels like home.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#16Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/28/10 at 11:59pm

I have fallen in love with the Vivian Beaumont and am convinced that it has as much to do with the theater as it does with the beautiful productions I have seen there.

Other than that, the Booth is another favorite, but I have by no means been in all of the Broadway theaters.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#17Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 12:12am

It was the St James but now that people feel they have the right to write on the walls it has lost some of its luster.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#18Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 12:16am

The Richard Rodgers and The Imperial.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#19Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 12:22am

New Amsterdam for the interior design. Richard Rodgers for viewing a show because even the last row is a great view.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

MusicAngel Profile Photo
MusicAngel
#20Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 12:49am

It's more interesting when peeps are explaining why it's their favorite theatre. Personally I would love to see peeps describe their favorite theatre in terms of size, nostalgia, interior, experience, etc. Since I'm in LA, I've only gone to like 18 theatres there but here's my small list:

1st Broadway show in NY: Ambassador
Nostalgic/Memorable: Richard Rodgers
More than a show, it was an experience: Daryl Roth Theatre
Small size: All NY theatres!

Although, in terms of decor/interior, unfortunately I haven't yet been to one in NY that is more breathtaking than ours which is Pantages. However, I will admit the size sucks.. 2700 seats?!?!?! Way too big!!

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#21Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 1:19am

I have a great deal of love for the St. James and the Eugene O'Neill, partly because some of the productions I've seen in those theaters were really special to me (Gypsy with Patti LuPone and Finian's Rainbow in the St. James, Sweeney Todd and Spring Awakening at the O'Neill). They're also beautiful houses in their own right.

The Lunt-Fontanne is also gorgeous, and I love the Neil Simon and the Beaumont as well.

nomdeplume
#22Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 1:49am

Metropolitan Opera House

rosekwbp Profile Photo
rosekwbp
#23Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 2:32am

The Shubert and The Walter Kerr I've had some of my best theater experiences in those two.

PReeves2 Profile Photo
PReeves2
#24Favorite Theater in NYC
Posted: 6/29/10 at 3:21am

how can you pick one? Love the Nederlander, St. James, Booth and Richard Rogers. Can't help but adore Radio City Music Hall and nothing is like The Metropolitan Opera House. I'm guessing this thread was about broadway theaters though.