Audience Behavior

musical_ash_09 Profile Photo
musical_ash_09
#51Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/14/11 at 5:40pm

The worst experience I've had was seeing Next to Normal in Pittsburgh. The couple sitting next to me came in late at the beginning of the show and after intermission. The woman was eating candy and the man had some sort of cold and kept coughing and blowing his nose. Both of their cell phones rang at different points during the show.

Plus to make it even more awkward the man was on the larger side and decided he would be more comfortable if he put his arm across the back of my seat. I whispered for him to move it and he politely did, but come on! That's just ridiculous to me.

If I didn't believe in you We'd never have gotten this far If I didn't believe in you And all of the ten thousand women you are If I didn't think you could do Anything you ever wanted to If I wasn't certain that you'd come through somehow THe fact of the matter is, Cathy I wouldn't be standing here now -The Last Five Years

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#52Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/14/11 at 5:50pm

ash, what night were you there? I was there Tuesday and there were some people in the orchestra who came in, like, I swear to God 45 minutes into the first act. At that point, I totally wouldn't have bothered. (And I don't think they were the type that had seen it a few times already.)

At iHo last Wednesday, the man directly behind me slept on and off through the first act, snoring loudly, then during both intermissions proclaimed vehemently into his cellphone that it was the most amazing play he'd seen in a generation and that it would change the face of theater. He riffled his program in my ear during all of Act 2, and slept again in Act 3. It was like "Candid Camera."

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

musical_ash_09
#53Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/14/11 at 6:13pm

This was on Thursday night and I was front row center Mez. I really just don't understand some people.

If I didn't believe in you We'd never have gotten this far If I didn't believe in you And all of the ten thousand women you are If I didn't think you could do Anything you ever wanted to If I wasn't certain that you'd come through somehow THe fact of the matter is, Cathy I wouldn't be standing here now -The Last Five Years

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#54Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/14/11 at 8:14pm

I have to agree that the "Next To Normal" behavior was ridiculous in Pittsburgh. I was in the left pit on Saturday night. Someone in the row behind me (there are only about 5 seats in the side sections) was tapping their foot rapidly throughout the first act. TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP. Didn't matter what was going on. Even through "There's A World." And the pit floor is hollow, which doesn't help things at all.

At intermission the first thing I did was whip around and (making eye contact with everyone in the row as to not accuse directly) say "Folks, whoever is doing the foot tapping, please stop. It's very distracting!" Didn't stop them from doing it during the second act.

Also during the first act this younger woman across the aisle in the 3rd row practically JUMPED up out of her seat and left at a point when the actors all had their backs to the audience. She returned VERY loudly clomping her way towards her seat during the quiet section of "Catch Me I'm Falling" where the music drops out and there's just that "heartbeat" bass sound. The audience was COMPLETELY captivated by what was happening on stage, and it snapped everyone out of the moment because everyone turned to look at her. I have no idea why the ushers didn't hold her until the end of such a pivotal scene.

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

musical_ash_09
#55Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/14/11 at 8:23pm

I didn't have any problems Sunday night, but Thursday I wanted to HURT people. My little cousin wants to see "Wicked" when it's at the Benedum Center in September and I can only imagine what kind of circus that is going to be. I saw it twice on Broadway and while it's a bearable show it tends to contain an unbearable audience.

Although, that makes me wonder this question. Are audiences worse with touring shows or with actual Broadway shows?

Updated On: 4/14/11 at 08:23 PM

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#56Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/14/11 at 9:45pm

Probably only me, but I get a bit annoyed when people check their watch - especially towards the end of the show, when things tend to be reaching their climax. Really takes me out of the moment. Also, I hate watches that beep-beep every hour, on the hour.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Goggles Profile Photo
Goggles
#57Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/14/11 at 10:37pm

I was at a show the other week and the seat next to me was open, the person sitting in the row behind me thought it was ok to put her feet up on the top on the chair. see looked like she was sitting in her lazy boy at home. i couldnt believe it and of course that is all i could see in the corner of my eye.

pennydreadful Profile Photo
pennydreadful
#58Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/14/11 at 11:44pm

*jaw drop* A BABY in Phantom?? Kids under 4 aren't supposed to be allowed in - I guess they were too busy strip-searching people for recording devices/outside snacks to notice.

I've been to Phantom 4 times, and so far, the audiences have been good. I talked to one mother and daughter tourist pair while we were waiting in line for the restroom, and they marveled how much better-behaved the Phantom audience was, compared to The Lion King. They told me their Lion King audience the night before had sung along to all the songs, talked throughout, kids ran rampant in the aisles, etc.

The first time I went, I sat next to a big, loud, Russian tourist family, and I was seated right next to their little girls (about 9 years old). I was cursing my luck, but they were silent once the curtain went up. During intermission, the two little girls very seriously debated with me if Justin Beiber should play Raoul or the Phantom. *shudders*

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#59Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/15/11 at 12:48am

I was at "Sister Act" on Monday and someone was taking flash pictures from the second box on the left. Also annoying was at Roundabout at Studio 54 while seeing "The People in the Picture" in the Mezz. The ushers kept flashing their flashlights. It was really distracting.

Just give the world Love.

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#60Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/15/11 at 4:12am

NEWSFLASH: These rude audiences many of you describe are precisely the folks that Broadway is pandering to more and more and more. They're the ones who actually push the production into a very long run. I agree, the behavior you describe is outrageous in many cases, but Broadway is less geared toward serious theater audiences than ever before.
The people you talk about view a Broadway show as as sort of “live” TV show or interactive movie, and the current climate of Broadway drives that mentality. “Priscilla” obviously delivers that type of experience in spades. It's like “Sweatin' to the Oldies” on Broadway.
It is believed that “Oh, Calcutta!” achieved its ridiculously long run on international, largely non-English speaking audiences. Very “exciting” and “taboo” to many cultures, with little or no importance on the text, and which had long outlived its scandalous life with theatergoers omce it closed at the Belasco.
People the world round know ABBA, Lloyd Webber, etc., and its perfectly acceptable in many cultures to sing along with performances as a way of expressing one's adoration of the song or the performance.
I'd find quite challenging to perform a song under such conditions but obviously most seasoned Broadway performers have found a way of coping with this trend.

OhTossums2 Profile Photo
OhTossums2
#61Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/17/11 at 8:25am

I will never forget the time I went to see The Lion King about three years ago and all I could hear were children talking. Parents, silence your children. I work in childcare, I understand it can be difficult but when you are paying $70+ for tickets you deserve to actually HEAR the show.

Jealous? I ain't jealous. I can take on these fellas whateva.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#62Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/17/11 at 8:55am

I was a "By the Way, Meet Vera Stark" a couple of weeks ago and there was a lady a few seats down from me who was texting throughout Act 1 and then decided to check her voicemail during Act 2.

LittleBitRacist Profile Photo
LittleBitRacist
#63Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/17/11 at 9:50am

After seeing shows in New York for many many years, I just witnessed the absolute worst audience behavior I've ever seen in the audience for The Woman in Black in London. There was a group of about 100 15-17 year old school kids clearly on a school outing, and when the show started (one man on the stage, another comes down the aisle from the back of the house) all of them just continued their conversations in full voice. No one could hear the opening few minutes of the play because about a hundred kids were carrying on their conversations.. then the SHHing started, and a woman a few rows in front of them yelled "CAN YOU BE QUIET?!" over the actors speaking. Any time there was any action in the show-- the woman in black walking down the center isle, a loud noise, a joke-- the teenagers erupted in more talking and laughter until they were each SHHed again about twenty times.

As soon as intermission started a good number of people bolted from their seats to complain to ushers and the house manager and the house manager was huddled with their school teachers I assume trying to tell them to make the kids behave better or leave. I don't know if they ended up kicking out the whole group or the teachers decided that the kids couldn't keep it together but just a few minutes before Act 2 started they told the group they'd be leaving and all of the kids sprang out of their seats laughing and cheering like they were excited to get out and proud of themselves. The whole audience was turned around glaring at them, a few people "boo"ed them, a man yelled "you should be ashamed of yourselves!" while the kids were laughing and waving goodbye and a few stuck up their middle fingers to the rest of the audience as they left. After they left the orchestra was about half empty, but at least we got to enjoy the rest of the show. I had honestly never seen anything like it and everyone around me was totally shocked at how disgusting their behavior was, especially for older teenagers, completely unacceptable.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#64Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/17/11 at 10:45am

At SISTER ACT the other night, two people came in late and immediately started talking back to the actors on stage like they were at a movie. Now you all know I don't play that game, especially three rows from the stage. I told them to stop and then to shut the F*CK up. The woman leaned into me while the man was yellIng "that's right bring those nuns out!" and said "sorry if we're bothering you". I told her that they were bothering everyone and a few minutes later I even leaned over her to tell him to SHUT. THE. F*CK. UP! to which he told me he wasn't going to because he was having a good time and then he called me a racist. When the lights came on we immediately ran for some empty seats a few rows back where luckily the people sitting next to us decided to continue the talking.

I don't understand why there are announcements telling you when to unwrap your candy but nothing asking the audience not to talk. I think it's time to start including that.

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#65Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/17/11 at 3:20pm

I wish it were only an issue of the differences between cultures, but unfortunately it's not. It's a matter of manners, which more and more seems like a folksy, outdated notion.

When I saw GYPSY with Lupone, my iPhone apparently hit something in my pocket and turned itself back on. Didn't know 'til it RANG! With Lupone on stage no less. Practically ripped my thigh off to stifle it -- I swear I'd have broken it in my pocket if I could have figured out how. Shew. A truly terrifying moment.

geaj Profile Photo
geaj
#66Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/17/11 at 4:00pm

Heck, I coughed three times during Next to Normal last Saturday at Pittsburgh and felt like an ass! People are the worst, that's what we say! I try to be polite, but you know society is entitled now!

Jordan Catalano
#67Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/17/11 at 4:03pm

I farted during PRISCILLA and an usher came over and yelled at me.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#68Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/17/11 at 4:18pm

Was it odiforous ?

Poster Emeritus

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#69Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/17/11 at 5:49pm

People are ignorant filthy creatures and egghumor is right on the money. With ticket prices as high as they are and Broadway clamoring to create bombastic, expensive spectacles based on crap movies the bar is being lowered considerably.

People nowadays feel entitled to be not be inconvenienced in any way during a show and the includes talking freely, sharing comments, talking to the stage, eating, shaking their ice in those F@#KING PLASTIC CUPS ( I still want the person who invented that idea to be castrated.), texting, singing along. It's grotesque.

It's no better in movie theatres which are ridiculous as well.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Jordan Catalano
#70Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/17/11 at 5:54pm

Oh Christ, those F*CKing plastic cups with ice. Because God forbid people have to sit for two hours without being able to put something in their lard ass pie holes.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#71Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/18/11 at 11:23pm

"Oh Christ, those F*CKing plastic cups with ice. Because God forbid people have to sit for two hours without being able to put something in their lard ass pie holes."

Amen Jordan. I remember the good old days when you had 3 minutes to pound your drink after waiting 10 minutes to get it and not being allowed into the theatre with it.

Now these slobs come back to their seats LATE with icy drinks in plastic cups, all matter of candy and food. It's like a f#@king tractor pull.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

bwayfan7000
#72Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/18/11 at 11:32pm

At The Little Mermaid years ago, there were some really annoying teenage girls behind me singing during the well-known songs. After a couple of casual looks back at them, I turned and gave them an absolute death stare. They didn't sing for the rest of the show.

Other than that, I've been very lucky with good audience behavior...I've never really had a problem. Maybe other than the two loud cell phone rings during quiet moments of Jerusalem. THAT pissed me off.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#73Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/19/11 at 12:38am

What I don't get is that some shows don't specifically say no taking of pictures. Tonight at "House of Blue Leaves" they just say cell phones and electronic devices. Needless to say people were snapping pictures before and after the announcement. Cell phones popped out all over the place for the curtain call.

Just give the world Love.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#74Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/19/11 at 5:18am

I guess I'll consider myself lucky then. I've never had to endure anything like the stories relayed here. Sure, the occasional candy wrapper, the hard-of-hearing senior citizen, the sadly expected phone ringing -- but I didn't realize how "lucky" I was!

I find my experience at the movie theate much more troublesome -- which has truly taken away from the experience. Yes, I know to expect more noise when going to a kids' movie -- but not to hear ANY parents attempt to 'shush' them is unfathomable.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#75Audience Behavior
Posted: 4/19/11 at 9:25am

I understand some are foreign require some translation, but they should have the courtesy to keep it to a VERY LOW WHISPER.

At PRISCILLA, there was this Eastern European couple (Whether they were Russian, Polish, or Ukrainian was anybody's guess). The wife was translating for the husband (rather loudly), and I turned around and shot them a dirty look, which they returned.

...Thank God they left at intermission.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm