News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 126

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3125Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/11/24 at 3:49pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "I would love to see Nick Adams as Billy Flynn!"

Now, Nick is talented enough to play either Roxie or Velma. He’s more than qualified to handle the original revival choreography for both roles.  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3126Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/11/24 at 4:26pm

No surprise, but AFW has already missed several performances since she came back last week.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#3127Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/20/24 at 6:40pm

This article just enlightened me to the fact that Sofia Vergara played Mama. I had no idea. I just finished watching her in Griselda on Netflix. She kills. 
https://people.com/celebrities-who-starred-in-chicago-on-broadway-6046159

BrodyFosse123
#3128Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/20/24 at 7:46pm

Melissa25 said: "This article just enlightened me to the fact that Sofia Vergara played Mama. I had no idea. I just finished watching her in Griselda on Netflix. She kills.
https://people.com/celebrities-who-starred-in-chicago-on-broadway-6046159
"

Yup. This was weeks before she filmed the pilot for the now-classic ABC TV sitcom MODERN FAMILY so you’ll notice on the following press clip her accent is very slight and subtle. After MODERN FAMILY made its explosive debut, she would go on to use her character Gloria’s exaggerated accent as part of her own public persona:

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3129Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/20/24 at 9:25pm

ACL2006 said: "No surprise, but AFW has already missed several performances since she came back last week."

With Mary Claire King gone, the show is left with one Velma cover - Kristen Faith Oei. Dani Spieler is back for a short run as Liz.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#3130Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/20/24 at 9:42pm

ACL2006 said: "ACL2006 said: "No surprise, but AFW has already missed several performances since she came back last week."

With Mary Claire King gone, the show is left with one Velma cover - Kristen Faith Oei. Dani Spieler is back for a short run as Liz.
"

I know she was only a maternity cover and recently signed on to Lempicka, but I wish Khori Michelle Petinaud had an opportunity to join the Velma rotation. She's a great Fosse dancer affiliated with the Legacy AND has some nice, smoky vocals. 

Also, I want Manuel Herrera in the Billy Flynn rotation as well - though he would be a better actor/dancer than singer for the role.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#3131Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/22/24 at 7:17pm

Saw the tour last week as part of a subscription package. No celebrities, all unknowns and I thought they were excellent. It's nice to see Chicago in the hands of fresh young talent. Kailin Brown, Katie Friedeni and Ed Gotthelf as Fred Casely were the standouts for me. I know it's non-equity though and I hope the actors are being fairly compensated for their talent. I'd venture to guess this cast might actually be a bit more fun to see than the current Broadway cast, but I'll need to see both at some point to compare.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#3132Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/22/24 at 11:01pm

I was surprised that Bianca Marroquin did not make a return as Velma Kelly.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#3133Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/23/24 at 12:46am

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "I was surprised that Bianca Marroquin did not make a return as Velma Kelly."

Bianca and AFW retire already ladies from Chicago, enough! AFW is old to be playing Velma still!

Ariana is bringing in the crowds so happy for her as she has the right star quality from DWTS and VPR and her fans are supporting her! Over $1m for this show this week -WOW!!!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 2/23/24 at 12:46 AM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3134Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/24/24 at 7:40am

Robbie2 said: "Patti LuPone FANatic said: "I was surprised that Bianca Marroquin did not make a return as Velma Kelly."

Bianca and AFW retire already ladies from Chicago, enough! AFW is old to be playing Velma still!

Ariana is bringing in the crowds so happy for her as she has the right star quality from DWTS and VPR and her fans are supporting her! Over $1m for this show this week -WOW!!!
"   Wow, I hope that is not true about Bianca Marroquin.  She can still be an effective Velma.  All the more reason for the Weisslers to develop a dependable rotation of Velmas.  In the past, they have been able to have a celebrity Velma go into the show.  They need to put some serious effort with Velmas as they do with Roxies.  I cannot think of a possible celebrity Velma, at the moment.  The show needs something like the 2019 Search for Roxie.  Emma Pittman came out of that.  There needs to be a 2024 Search For Velma....STAT!  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#3135Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/8/24 at 12:14pm

Robyn Hurder as Velma! Tuesday, March 26 through Sunday, June 16.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Robyn-Hurder-to-Return-to-CHICAGO-as-Velma-This-Month-20240308

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3136Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/8/24 at 12:17pm

Take my money!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#3137Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/8/24 at 12:26pm

She's going to Kill it as Velma.

Hopefully she has a great Roxie to play opposite.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#3138Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/8/24 at 1:09pm

Robyn Hurder is going to be a breath of fresh air. 

also Mikayla Renfrow has joined the cast as Liz/ u/s Velma

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#3139Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/8/24 at 1:19pm

When was the last time Chicago had a new Velma who could dance, sing, AND act? (Key word being “new.”) She’s going to absolutely kill it.

Also, it’ll be fun to see her on stage opposite - if not directly opposite - her BFF, Max Clayton. I wish her run overlapped with Jinkx’s, but maybe she’ll extend.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#3140Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/8/24 at 1:22pm

Let’s hope they don’t put her in those horrid wigs  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3141Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/8/24 at 1:33pm

Robyn and Charlotte are very good friends, so I wonder if Charlotte will return in April?

BrodyFosse123
#3142Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/8/24 at 1:43pm

The show needs something like the 2019 Search for Roxie.  Emma Pittman came out of that.

Yeah, that completely revamped CHICAGO. Not.

Poor girl had to wait years to get a couple of weeks in the show which produced zero fanfare. Hopefully she’s moved on and closed that CHICAGO chapter and started focusing on other projects instead of waiting for them to reach out again. 

60'splayoff Profile Photo
60'splayoff
#3143Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/8/24 at 1:57pm

I agree the situation was less than fair, but I'd say she's doing ok after opening Back to the Future in the ensemble and landing the female lead in The Outsiders.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3144Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/8/24 at 1:59pm

Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread

bwayphreak234 said: "Robyn Hurder as Velma!Tuesday, March 26 through Sunday, June 16.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Robyn-Hurder-to-Return-to-CHICAGO-as-Velma-This-Month-20240308
"

Oh my goodness, I may have to make an early return to NYC to see Robyn as Velma!   If I can make it, I would also love to see Natascia Diaz in Cabaret.  

Updated On: 3/8/24 at 01:59 PM

BCfitasafiddle
#3145Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/8/24 at 2:01pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "The show needs something like the 2019 Search for Roxie. Emma Pittman came out of that.

Yeah, that completely revamped CHICAGO. Not.

Poor girl had to wait years to get a couple of weeks in the show which produced zero fanfare. Hopefully she’s moved on and closed that CHICAGO chapter and started focusing on other projects instead of waiting for them to reach out again.
"

That "poor girl" is on quite a roll these days. She's a fantastic talent. 

BrodyFosse123
#3146Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/8/24 at 2:07pm

I stand corrected AND I just got my a** handed back to me. Completely overlooked she was THE Emma Pittman when I saw the cast list of the upcoming musical adaptation of S.E. Hinton’s THE OUTSIDERS. 

Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3147Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/8/24 at 3:57pm

Emma was likely joining CHICAGO sometime in 2020 as Roxie. COVID had other plans. hence the long wait for her to join the show.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3148Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/8/24 at 5:00pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "When was the last time Chicago had a new Velma who could dance, sing, AND act? (Key word being “new.”) She’s going to absolutely kill it.

Also, it’ll be fun to see her on stage opposite - if not directly opposite - her BFF, Max Clayton. I wish her runoverlapped with Jinkx’s, but maybe she’ll extend.
"

Yeah, let's hope there's ample notice on if Clayton is going on as Billy during Robyn's run. He hasn't gone on yet. A shame Hurder isn't with the show when Jinkx returns.

BCfitasafiddle
#3149Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/8/24 at 5:13pm

So excited about Robyn. Hopefully, this sets a new precedent at Chicago for casting new and age-appropriate Velma's. 

Videos