Patti & Mandy on Broadway?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/11 at 4:20pm

I remember a few months ago I heard talk that they might do a short broadway run of their concert. Has anyone else heard of this still happening (if it even really was in the first place)?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#2Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/11 at 4:25pm

In her Show People interview, Wontorek asked her if there were plans and she declined to answer in a way that made it sound like it was at least discussed. I would think that a 6-8 week run in a house like the Walter Kerr would do very well, so I can't imagine producers haven't at least thought about it.
Show People with Patti LuPone

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/11 at 4:26pm

Zzzz I hope not. That's not to say that I hope people don't get to see it if they haven't already - but I feel like there are better ways she could spend her time and producers to spend their money..

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/20/11 at 04:26 PM

aliceripleysnumber1 Profile Photo
aliceripleysnumber1
#3Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 6/20/11 at 4:33pm

I saw their concert a couple of years ago here in St. Louis, and although I did enjoy it - I don't really see this being Broadway material unless the reworked it. I didn't feel either one of them were really all that "into" it, if that makes any sense. It was just kind of like they were walking through the show. No real energy whatsoever. But hey, I'd pay money to see Patti just stand and sing....

bwayfan7000
#4Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 6/21/11 at 12:41am

This was literally amongst the worst experiences I've ever had in a theatre, so I hope not. Love Patti and enjoy Mandy sometimes, but this was really not a good show.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#5Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 6/21/11 at 8:27am

I have to agree... I saw them in Cleveland a few years ago. Was I thrilled to be seeing Patti and Mandy IN PERSON? Absolutely!

But I spent most of the show zoned out except for the more familiar songs, like "Don't Cry For Me..." "...Roses" and "Not Getting Married Today."

The finale with "You'll Never Walk Alone" had me in tears, though. Wasn't a complete waste of an a show, but could definitely use some more excitement.

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

Broadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
#6Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 6/21/11 at 8:49am

People would pay money to see Mandy?

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

bwayfan7000
#7Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 6/21/11 at 8:52am

I really did think the whole thing lacked energy. And the song choices were flat-out strange at times (Mandy did "Somewhere That's Green"...). The final nail in the coffin for me, though, was when Patti sleepwalked her way through "Everything's Coming Up Roses", when I had just seen her tear through the song in the Gypsy revival. If they did bring it to Broadway, I hope changes abound.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#8Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 6/21/11 at 8:54am

For some reason Mandy annoys me just by his presence. I would never go to see him in anything. However, I would go to see Patti Lupone in just about anything, except when she is paired with Mandy.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

Broadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
#9Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 6/21/11 at 8:58am

AMEN, Gypsy9!

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#10Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 6/21/11 at 9:00am

I saw the concert almost four years ago in Philly and I remember really enjoying it. I did not, however, enjoy it nearly as much as any of Patti's solo concerts I've seen. I don't know if I think it lacked energy so much as I felt like the energy was focused differently. If that even makes any sense.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

TotallyJeannius Profile Photo
TotallyJeannius
#11Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 6/21/11 at 11:52am

You and I are surfing the same brain wave, Gypsy9!

I know some people really enjoy Mandy's performances, but I find myself cringing when I watch him. Is it his facial expressions and how he seems to try to make everything overly dramatic? Is it those crazy, inexplicable hand gestures? Listening to him on a cast recording is fine; watching him perform is another story. Patti's a great performer who makes Mandy tolerable when they perform together. It's like "OMFG YAY!" to Patti, "Thank you, but no" to Mandy, and "It's not exactly what we were looking for, but we'll take it" to Patti and Mandy.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#12Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 6/21/11 at 5:04pm

It was even more irritating when I saw Mandy because his Mic was so much louder than Patti's. How I wish that it was her and not him performing "Loving You".

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#13Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 6/22/11 at 1:14pm

Here's an idea: cut Mandy, give the whole show to Patti, and let's give her a residency in New York like the Les Mouches gig. You could spin an album out of it easily. You can also use the gimmick Leslie Kritzer used when she did her album, and have her be the alternate on nights when Patti is under the weather.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#14Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 5:53pm

I paid over a hundred bucks to see Patti sleepwalk and Mandy chew anything that wasn't nailed down. The show was a conceptual mess. It wouldn't last a week on Broadway. It was an ego-trip for both of them. Total snoozefest.

If Patti did a few weeks of the "Gypsy In My Soul"-that might be worth checking out.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#15Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 5:53pm

I paid over a hundred bucks to see Patti sleepwalk and Mandy chew anything that wasn't nailed down. The show was a conceptual mess. It wouldn't last a week on Broadway. It was an ego-trip for both of them. Total snoozefest.

If Patti did a few weeks of the "Gypsy In My Soul"-that might be worth checking out.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#16Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 6/23/11 at 5:58pm

When they're on the road it is just a paid job to them, I imagine - but if it were to land on Broadway (wasn't there talk of the Booth?) I'd say they would add a little more pep to their step.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#17Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 9/30/11 at 2:57pm

Just announced: twenty general rush tickets will be available for each performance, $25.
http://broadwayworld.com/article/Tickets-to-AN-EVENING-WITH-PATTI-LUPONE-AND-MANDY-PATINKIN-Go-On-Sale-at-Midnight-25-Rush-Tickets-Announced-20110930

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

broadwaybabywannabe Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe
#18Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 10/1/11 at 12:16pm

i saw this review when i passed through Los Angeles at the too large Ahmanson Theatre, and while i enjoyed it i felt then that it should have been in a smaller house...which of course Broadway theatres are compared to the huge space the Ahmanson is...so a more intimate setting might make this really an enjoyable get-together of Broadway pros...

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#19Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 10/1/11 at 12:46pm

Am I the only one who does NOT enjoy Mandy's voice at all? I'm sorry it just grates on my ears.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#20Patti & Mandy on Broadway?
Posted: 10/1/11 at 12:48pm

Mandy's voice is not the glorious tenor that it used to be, but he can still sell a song much better than many other people.

Videos