pixeltracker

Unpopular opinions you hold- Page 38

Unpopular opinions you hold

broadwayboy223
#925Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 4/26/18 at 9:25pm

bwayphreak234 said: "broadwayboy223 said: "bwayphreak234 said: "I think that the current revival of Once On This Island is an over directed hot mess of a production, and Alex Newell is beyond obnoxious."

I loved it overall but I'm pretty sure Alex Newell is on his way to a vocal injury. He growled his whole song and seemed distracted the whole show.
"

I saw the showback in November of last year, so I don't think that was it.
"

I saw the show a couple of weeks ago so I'm not sure how long/when he started sounded like that. From some audios posted on youtube it seems it's been like that for at least a couple months. Lea Salonga sang BEAUTIFULLY though right? It was perfect

willrolandsframes
#926Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/11/18 at 8:45pm

Bumping because I've been looking for a place to drop this opinion:

Carleigh Bettiol has been the best Eliza in Hamilton, and it's unfortunate that she'll never get to play the role on a full-time basis. It's also a travesty that she's found nothing but ensemble work since Hamilton.

Oak2
#927Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/11/18 at 11:08pm

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is ALW's best work, and nothing else comes even close in terms of sheer joy-inducement.

Commercialization of Broadway is a good thing and should be encouraged because the wills of the masses matters more than the desires of elitist snobs.

All casting decisions for every show will always be the wrong choice until we get to the ultimate goal of having an endless supply of clones of Nathan Lane to cast in every role in every show. This is the sole reason Broadway actually exists.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#928Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/12/18 at 2:40am

I found the Band’s Visit to be incredibly boring. That said, I still think it’s the best musical of the season.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#929Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/12/18 at 3:37am

I think Patti Murin's singing is annoying on the Frozen OBCR. In fact, that's the reason I decided not to download it.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

justherehanging
#930Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/12/18 at 8:03pm

Here are a few recent ones.

I don’t think Hamilton is gods gift to theater… The reality is it has amazing choreography but it’s not the best musical of all time.  When you say that I find people get offended for some reason or want to use the race card  

Hello Dolly   Yes Bette is amazing but she wasn’t acting  felt I was watching a Hello Bette   Didnt feel I saw a Hello Dolly till Bernadette started   

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#931Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/12/18 at 9:16pm

Anthony Boyle deserves this season's Tony for Featured Actor in a Play over Nathan Lane.

natashalost
#932Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/12/18 at 9:23pm

broadwayboy223 said: "Patti Murin's voice in frozen wasn't that great. She cracked a lot the night I saw and some of my other friends who have gone to different performances have made similar comments about her voice."

Her standby, Aisha Jackson, is 100 times better than Patti. Aisha would've, hands down, won the Tony if she played the role full time.

Great Dame
#933Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/13/18 at 12:23am

I LOVED Ghost the Musical. And so did you, you just won't admit it Unpopular Opinions                                                                  

Shh_413
#934Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/13/18 at 5:11am

BroadwayConcierge said: "Anthony Boyle deserves this season's Tony for Featured Actor in a Play over Nathan Lane."

I love Nathan Lane as Roy. I think he brings a lot of gravitas to the role and he's hysterical as Prior 2. However, I think part of the reason he'll still win is to encourage him to do more plays (since he said somewhere that he prefers more serious work nowadays) and stay on Broadway. And I'm fine with that.

That being said, I'd absolutely love it if Anthony Boyle won as Scorpius. He's definitely the strongest player in HPCC, seems like a great guy, and I love seeing guys my age winning awards for once, instead of giving lifetime achievement awards to people who couldn't care less or to ingenues.

TexanAddams18
#935Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/13/18 at 9:20am

Besdies The Band's Visit, Escape to Margaritaville was by far the best new musical of the season.

DianeLane'sCareer
#936Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/13/18 at 4:47pm

I really cannot stand Rent or Spring Awakening. 

I think Heathers is offensive and a bad musical (But with great music)

SarahNYC2
#937Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/13/18 at 5:41pm

That Harry Potter was the most boring show ever. I fell asleep during both parts.

Follies1011
#938Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/14/18 at 6:11am

Why do you think that? I heard it was beyond awful.

Shh_413
#939Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/14/18 at 7:35am

Be More Chill has a terrible book filled with unlikeable characters and a horrible message. The music is poor to decent (Michael in the Bathroom being the most competently written by far). I have no idea why it has a large fanbase, most of whom have never even seen the show in its entirety, other than the fact that it features highschoolers.

Heathers: The Musical runs too long. Its score is fine. But that book needs so much work. Again, another show with a huge cult fanbase about highschoolers.

I don't know. I just can't stand musicals with mediocre books.

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#940Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/14/18 at 7:46am

Well, you just mentioned that they’ve never seen it. They love the cast album, so the book wouldn’t really affect their view of it.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#941Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/14/18 at 7:55am

Follies1011 said: "Why do you think that? I heard it was beyond awful."

To whom are you talking????  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Danielle49
#942Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/14/18 at 8:14am

I can't stand Jessie Mueller's vocal style. It's the reason I can't bring myself to see Carousel.

Shh_413
#943Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/14/18 at 8:44am

Elegance101 said: "Well, you just mentioned that they’ve never seen it. They love the cast album, so the book wouldn’t really affect their view of it."

They know the story. It's pretty discernable from the score what happens and everything's on Wikipedia nowadays. I'm not really against the fandom or anything, just not a fan of the show itself.

Shh_413
#944Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/14/18 at 8:54am

I can actually tolerate Hamilton and DEH fans for the most part.

I enjoy both shows, especially for what they stand for out of context. At least Hamilton can encourage people to see musicals who won't otherwise enjoy musicals, and it can get people interested in American history. And DEH at least talks about mental health in teenagers and releases the stigma of therapy and medications, and partners with Child Mind, Trevor Project, etc.

I can take it when they make lists of their favorite musicals that includes Hamilton, DEH, BMC, Heathers, Newsies, Wicked, and that's it, because maybe they haven't seen that many musicals.

What I DO NOT enjoy about the fandoms are people: (a) who say the older musicals (pre-90s) are boring and don't matter, and (b) who think they "own" the actors in these shows and borderline harass and stalk them during their rest days. And let's not get into THAT in this thread again.

ellbellthomps
#945Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/14/18 at 9:02am

Anastasia is the best musical I have ever seen. 

Playbill_Trash
#946Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/14/18 at 11:53am

"Be Prepared" is one of the worst villain songs in the musical theatre canon, Disney or not.

The Lion King is not the only screen to stage adaption that Disney Theatricals got right. Mary Poppins was wonderful. 

(Insert Clever Name) Profile Photo
(Insert Clever Name)
#947Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/14/18 at 12:01pm

The Great Comet deserved to close when it did

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#948Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/14/18 at 12:42pm

Danielle49 said: "I can't stand Jessie Mueller's vocal style. It's the reason I can't bring myself to see Carousel."

If it helps, she sings in like three different vocal styles in If I Loved You alone... Unpopular Opinions                                                                  

I keep trying to get on the Mueller fan train, because she seems so likable, but I agree with you. I thought she was good in Beautiful, but haven't been a fan since. I think she has a good voice, but I never seem to be a fan of her musical choices. 

tja928 Profile Photo
tja928
#949Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 5/14/18 at 8:22pm

I can't stand Patti Lupone

Videos