Favorite Cut Songs

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#25Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/2/11 at 10:56pm

Great story, bk! I love Jones and Schmidt. Wish I could be in L.A.for the Gardenia show. Tell Guy Haines "hi." =)

With Irma you gotta do something!

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#26Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/2/11 at 11:05pm

Oh, and I like "Proud Lady," cut from The Bakers Wife during tryouts. Still it is included in the original cast recording.

With Irma you gotta do something!

pinoyidol2006 Profile Photo
pinoyidol2006
#27Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/2/11 at 11:43pm

"Too Much for One Heart" from Miss Saigon. At least, I like the way Lea Salonga sings it.

I like your imperturbable perspicacity.

PennybankBill Profile Photo
PennybankBill
#28Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/2/11 at 11:57pm

Pleasant Little Kingdom from Follies.
I Don't Care Much from Cabaret, which was cut when it originally opened, and most of the songs cut in the 1998 revival of Cabaret.
Dot, Dot, Dot, from It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman!

On a side note, I REALLY hated Alan Cumming as the Emcee, he was too over the top for my taste. But that's irrelevant.

AEA AGMA SM
#29Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/3/11 at 12:03am

"She's Gone" was cut from Side Show during previews. According to the program I had it was in between "Buddy's Confession" and "Marry Me, Terry." While I do like Alice's performance of the song I can see why they cut it. The song, at least in the arrangement that Alice seemed to perform most often after the show had closed, just seems like a bit much for Violet to suddenly bust out with, especially since it was serving as a sort of lead-in to "I Will Never Leave You." By that point the show didn't really need a mad-as-hell power ballad.

kindersnow Profile Photo
kindersnow
#30Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/3/11 at 12:27am

I'm with jasonf. "Come Down from the Tree" from Once on This Island speaks to so many people so many ways, I still get choked up when I hear it.

littlegreen2 Profile Photo
littlegreen2
#31Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/3/11 at 2:15pm

She's Gone - Side Show
Growing Up Unstable - Next to Normal (I was at an event where Tom Kitt played this on the piano and it was wonderful)
Feeling Electric - Next to Normal (It obviously didn't belong but it was so much fun)

"I will not cease from mental fight, nor shall my sword sleep in my hand: Till we have built Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land."

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#32Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/3/11 at 2:21pm

"Costco" from NEXT TO NORMAL!

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#33Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/3/11 at 4:22pm

"Bring on the Men" should NEVER have been cut from "Jekyll and Hyde"-the song that replaced it, "Good and Evil" was terrible. I actually loved the lyrics to "Bring On the Men". (Can't remember much of "Good and Evil". Yawn.)

Rabekriegerin Profile Photo
Rabekriegerin
#34Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/3/11 at 4:28pm

The key thing about good'n'evil -
each man has to choose.
Heaven and hell is a hell of a gamble to lose!

I actually find that an amusingly clever song. Maybe this belongs in "unpopular opinions"... ha!

That being said, it's not a cut SONG so much as a cut PART in Phantom. I always and forever lament the loss of Raoul's harmony in "Wandering Child"... one of my favorite musical moments in the show!

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#35Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/3/11 at 6:18pm

"Good & Evil" was good in it's own right, but it isn't better than "Bring on the Men." I think the lyrics are (mostly) clever as well.

The song was originally written for Hyde to sing (way back when), if I'm not mistaken.

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#36Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/3/11 at 6:23pm

I can see why they put "Good n Evil" in the show. It fit with the plot of the show more (fight between inner good and evil) then Bring on the Men

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

suttonequalslove Profile Photo
suttonequalslove
#37Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/3/11 at 6:33pm

more to the story- shrek .

Wicked~West Side Story~Cats~Mamma Mia~Beauty and the Beast~Wicked~Anything Goes~

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
#38Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/3/11 at 6:51pm

I love Uptown, Downtown from Follies

Nettik
#39Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/3/11 at 7:12pm

"The Messenger" from AIDA
"Growing Up Unstable" from NEXT TO NORMAL
"Johanna (Judge's reprise)" from SWEENEY TODD

rougeduck Profile Photo
rougeduck
#40Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/3/11 at 7:22pm

Oh I love the messenger. The way it's sung in the reading is gorgeous. It gives a very disney (in a good way) ending to the two leads.

rougeduck Profile Photo
rougeduck
#41Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/3/11 at 7:27pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VpQxQKMUMc
I personally love Simone. She sounds kinda like Stephanie Mills.

#42Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/4/11 at 5:35am

I suppose it counts, but Proud Lady (what a song to cut) is in all the revised versions of Bake'rs Wife (I'm sure you know that...) albeit with some different lyrics, which I don't like as much even if they make the character less of a cartoon.

I love a lot of the Sondheim ones from the 70s. If we're talking about songs that were performed on stage, and not just ones cut during or before rehearsals, then Happily Ever After from Company (a song I find myself oddly singing in my head a lot), Uptown Downtown from Follies, and Bang! and Silly People from Night Music top my list. I'm also pretty fond of the Second Midnight from Into the Woods and how it becomes Children Will Listen later on.

Wilmingtom
#43Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/4/11 at 11:42am

When Messiah Comes from FIDDLER.

AngusN
#44Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/4/11 at 1:24pm

I love the 'Christmas will be thrilling' section of "Our Finest Dreams" (Little Women), shame they had to cut it, the harmonies were beautiful.
Re: 'Bring on the Men', they use that in the UK amateur version; rather than 'Good and Evil'. I much prefer Bring on the Men.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#45Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/4/11 at 1:52pm

Bring on the Men was back in Jekyll for the recent UK tour. Too bad the production was so terrible.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#46Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/4/11 at 1:59pm

Pink Taffeta from Sweet Charity
I'm Lost from The Apple Tree
Flamchen from Grand Hotel
Honey from Merrily We Roll Along
Suddenly There's You from Ballroom
Pick Up The Pieces from Seesaw

....but the world goes 'round

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#47Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/4/11 at 2:15pm

"Come Down From the Tree" from Once on this Island
"It Was Always You" from Applause

I LOVE the Unsung and Lost In cds!

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#48Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/4/11 at 5:14pm

"Tick Tock" (Goes the Clock) from PROMISES, PROMISES. It was cut during the out-of-town tryout in Boston.

I was lucky to talk to Donna McKechnie about this number and she said that the song took place in Act 1 and was sung by 3 secretaries (Donna, Barbara Lang and Adrienne Angel -- who had bigger parts in the beginning), who were later joined by the dancing female chorus. This trio also performed the original simple incarnation of "Turkey Lurkey Time", which was later changed to the big production number we know (and love) today. Baayork Lee and Margo Sappington replaced Lang and Angel. Donna was spared getting 'let go' thanks to Michael Bennett. There was also another song called "Hot Food" that was cut.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#49Favorite Cut Songs
Posted: 8/4/11 at 5:39pm

"Cut" from NAKED BOYS SINGING!

"Bang!" from ALNM

"A Mess-a in Odessa" and "Promoting Homosexuality" from TRICKS THE DEVIL TAUGHT ME

"Pleasant Little Kingdom" from FOLLIES

Really, hell, every Sondheim song ever cut except for one or two I can't think of.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES