pixeltracker

The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are

The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 12:37pm

My exchange with the douchebag today -

Me: Hi, there. Can I get one rush seat for today, please?
DB: It's in the orchestra.
Me: Great! Thank you.
DB: $31.50
I pull out my card and hand it to him. He scans it and tells me to sign the box on the counter. Ticket prints out, hands me the receipt.
DB: By the way it's all the way to the side.
Me: Oh. Is that partial view?
DB: Yeah, probably.
Me: Oh. Um....how much do I miss?
DB: I don't know. *SIGH*
He then punches a bunch of stuff into the computer and writes on the ticket he just printed out. I stand there waiting.
DB: What?
Me: The ticket?
DB: I just cancelled it.
Me: I didn't say I didn't want it. I didn't know it was partial view and was just wondering how much I'll miss.
DB: So you want to go?
Me: Yeah, I want to go!
DB: Jesus.
He prints out a ticket huffing and puffing like a little girl who just got her candy taken away from her.
DB: 3pm
Me: Thanks. Sorry to come in here and bother you and ask you to do your job.
DB: Yeah, well...

And I left. Seriously, this guy (50's, mustache...) is such an ass. I hope someone from the Shuberts read this thread and do something. And if you're selling someone a partial view seat TELL THEM UP FRONT before they pay. I worked in a box office for years, it's not that difficult a job.

Broadway61004
#2The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 12:40pm

Even worse is at the Music Box. I dealt with some kid last night who ignored me for about the first minute (even though no one else was in line) until I interrupted him, then was a complete jerk when I finally asked about the rush. Needless to say, when they were sold out, I didn't buy a regular ticket as I had considered before I talked to him.

Rainbowhigh23
#2The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 1:02pm

I haven't experienced that in years, sorry to hear about it. I buy exclusively online to avoid those situations, but I guess with rush tickets it's a different story. I'll watch out for that ticket person if I have to deal with that box office.

I had an opposite experience at Ghost the other night - the ticket lady was very friendly; when I commented about the show being very bright and loud, she said, "You'll be able to hear it in Hoboken." My ears are still ringing. :-

showchoirguy Profile Photo
showchoirguy
#3The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 1:04pm

Not as bad as the Marquis box office. We were in line from 7-10 and our school doesn't provide student I.D's but my friends and I brought enough information to pass as a student I.D. I was second in line and when I get up and show him all the information I have, his response? "Great! Now let me see you student I.D." I continued to tell him everything and he kept repeating what he said before and finally he said "Oh well!" and gave us the "shoo-shoo" hand gesture. A simple "Your I.D. is not valid, I'm sorry" would have sufficed. I got an apology the next month, but am still upset by the service.

ABB2357 Profile Photo
ABB2357
#4The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 1:06pm

The Music Box people have been that way for years. I haven't been there since SUPERIOR DONUTS, but the guy was beyond rude when I walked in to ask a simple rush question.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#5The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 1:12pm

Sorry to come in here and bother you and ask you to do your job.

LOVE this.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#6The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 1:14pm

Wow Jordan that is just unacceptable attitude for someone in a customer service position. What is the pre-requisite nowadays? Frustrated and miserable b!tches need only apply? WTF. He's lucky it wasn't me. I don't take that sh!t from no one.

Updated On: 4/29/12 at 01:14 PM

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#7The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 1:26pm

I just don't think there's any excuse for rude box office personnel. There are friendly young actors who would totally love to sit inside all day and sell people tickets. Why are box offices so overwhelmingly staffed by mean older people?

That being said, I want to give a shout out to the box office people at the Eugene O'Neill and the Cort. They have been nothing be amazing to me over the years, even during high profile productions like Book of Mormon, Will Ferrell, Fences, etc. I would imagine that working a show like that has to be the hardest gig in town for a box office person.

Jordan Catalano
#8The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 1:30pm

Well the Cort has the best staff ever. They should get a Tony Award for being as amazing and as friendly as they've always been.

Seriously, if Tabatha went in to make over The Belasco, she'd take them over to The Cort to show them how it's done.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#9The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 1:41pm

The Belasco box office staff SUCKS. And has for a while.

The grumps at the Imperial aren't much better.

kadu335 Profile Photo
kadu335
#10The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 1:45pm

I had one problem like that once and it caught me so off-guard I didn't say anything back. It was right when I moved to New York in 2010 to study and I went to get tickets at the Helen Hayes when Next Fall was playing.
I wasn't that familiar with how the student's rush worked so I asked the guy at the box office if I could use my student's visa in my passport to do the rush. He just replied: "Does it say you're a student?", and I said "yes". He then replied "Isn't it obvious then?". It was so unexpected that I could only reply with a "yes, I just wasn't sure". He got me the ticket with an expression in his face like he was doing a big favor for me.

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Updated On: 4/29/12 at 01:45 PM

iluvtheatertrash
#11The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 1:52pm

I had a nice experience with the man the OP is writing about. I didn't know there was rush and planned on buying the cheapest ticket in the rear mezz. He saved me $6, got me a fantastic seat in the orchestra AND smiled the whole time.

But he was still a total a**hat during WOMEN ON THE VERGE.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
Updated On: 4/29/12 at 01:52 PM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#12The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 2:19pm

Makes you kind of wish there was a system to get "Rush" tickets online. Sad to read so many bad experiences from people trying to spend their hard earned money and being treated this way.I guess I have been lucky because the few times I have bought tickets at the box office it has been no problem and pleasant.

Gaveston2
#13The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 2:31pm

I'm NOT disagreeing with anyone here as to how b.o. personnel should behave, nor am I defending unprovoked rudeness.

But based on my own experiences working in box offices, I'm afraid the truth is that if people want to see a show (especially a big hit like BOOK OF MORMON), no amount of rudeness will deter them. If they don't want to see a show, no amount of good customer service will make a sale.

At the same time, I've never encountered nastier customers than I did when working a ticket window. I actually got death threats over the difference between 5th row and 10th row center! No, people, there is no conspiracy to keep the "good seats" away from you personally.

The combination, I'm afraid, doesn't provide much incentive for box office workers to behave well. Good behavior should be its own reward, of course, but we are talking about human beings.

(The exception to the above is the Fabulous Palm Springs Follies and, I assume, theaters like it, where they are heavily dependent on repeat business. They treat customers like kings and queens.)

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#14The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 2:38pm

You were going to see Tracie Bennett?

Obstructed View is better.

PattiLover Profile Photo
PattiLover
#15The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 2:47pm

"And I left. Seriously, this guy (50's, mustache...) is such an ass. I hope someone from the Shuberts read this thread and do something."

Maybe you could try contacting the Shubert Organization and telling them you're displeased with their customer service instead of complaining about it on the internets?

Jordan Catalano
#16The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 2:51pm

Thanks for the suggestion.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#18The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 3:24pm

Years ago Sigourney Weaver was in a show at the Cort. The box office guy was busy on a personal call & would not get off. Meanwhile, 2 women left the show before intermission..They came out saying what a big pile of crap it was.The guy gets off the phone and asks if he can help me. I told him by him blabbering on the phone I saved myself the price of a ticket for the show.

I thanked him & walked out the front door.

Poster Emeritus

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#19The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 3:45pm

Box office staff are an odd lot. There is never any rhyme or reason as to how they treat you or what kind of response you are going to get. It's usually when I am very courteous that I get the worst treatment.

For instance, when the Addams Family was in previews and was a hot ticket, I had an open slot and decided I'd see the show. I knew it was a hot ticket and there was no way I was getting a deal. I even thought I might have to pay premium. I went to the box office looking for any ticket for the following night. So I asked the jerk at the box office, "are there any tickets for tomorrow night. I'm open to paying top price." He didnt even check the computer he just responded back. "No", shooed me aside and said "next".

I got the feeling that there were tickets available, so I phoned the Ticketmaster automated system and it offered me several seats.

So I got back in line and had the exact same exchange as before and when I tried explain about Ticketmaster, he yelled "Get out of the line!" So I did.

Well I don't take such treatment lying down, so I waited a little bit to see if he left, went on break or they opened another window. He left and I got in line, got a regular priced orchestra seat, center 10th row. As I was finishing my sale, he came back and took over. I said, "You're a piece of s@#t" and I quoted Edie Monsoon and said, "oh and you can drop the attitude, you're just a box office clerk." He called a dick and we went on our merry ways.

I understand that BO Staff deal with lots of a#!holes but who doesn't?

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#20The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 3:58pm

I understand that BO Staff deal with lots of a#!holes but who doesn't?

Exactly. And as someone who spent a lot of years working in a customer service industry, I can say that the people who are the best at their jobs are those who can rise above it and offer consistently excellent service to ALL customers, whether they be delightful or a complete asshole. Everyone has a bad day, or a snap moment, but frequently sour behavior has no place in any service business.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 4/29/12 at 03:58 PM

musicman_bwayfan
#21The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 4:12pm

Jordan: When you said "Thanks. Sorry to come in here and bother you and ask you to do your job," you forgot to remind him that he also gets paid to do his job.....

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#22The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 4:34pm

One time, I was just in the Times Square area about an hour and a half until most curtain time, so I figured that I would check to see if shows had any student rush or regular rush tickets left.

I went to Death of a Salesman (Barrymore) and the Box Office person was very nice and explained that the evening show was sold out and no tickets were left and then checked really quickly and said told me that I should try rush for Wednesday mat for best availability. I thanked her and left.

I then went over to Venus in Fur (Lyceum) and literally had the Box Office person laugh at me when I ask if there were any rush tickets available. She then proceeded to tell me that there were full price tickets left "but since you were looking for a bargain, I doubt you have the money for that." She then turned away from me and back to the computer, ignoring me. I didn't say anything and I just left. What I found out later on is that rush is $36.50 and rear balcony is $33. I might have been willing to buy a rear balcony ticket if she wasn't so demeaning.

That night, I ended up at the Acorn Theatre and saw "Russian Transport." Heh.

My favorite Box Office staff is at the St. James. Maybe it was because I went there way too many times during American Idiot's run but when my friend & I went to rush On A Clear Day, not only did they recognized us but they gave us the best rush seats available. The house staff even recognized us and welcome us back. Then again, we went way too many times during Idiot. ^^;;

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#23The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 5:37pm

I hate rude BO staff. There are terrible staff members at the Foxwoods, as well, and I agree that those at the Imperial are just mean. If they don't want to deal with people, why have a face-to-face service job?

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#24The Belasco Box Office Staff Proves Yet Again What As%h*l#s They Are
Posted: 4/29/12 at 6:59pm

From the "other" side. Having been a BO prson for a short time, many yrs, ago BEFORE "rush" and "lottery" were around, I can attest to the mostly accurate info in this article. It's a 2 way street, and even the nicest BO people, or ANY people in a svce job can have bad days, as in life. No excuse for bad attitudes, but a little patience/tolerance on both sides in invaluable:

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/rialto/past/2001/1_21_01.html