pixeltracker

Pippin previews start tomorrow- Page 12

Pippin previews start tomorrow

TheLadyoftheWood Profile Photo
TheLadyoftheWood
#275Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/10/13 at 8:09pm

Give me Orion or Yannick. They are both super yummy in different ways. What I wouldn't give to be one of the props they use! Gah!

Updated On: 4/10/13 at 08:09 PM

After Eight
#276Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/10/13 at 8:36pm

Heavens to Betsy!

So much psycho-babble devoted to "analyzing" what is essentially drivel.

It's like writing a doctoral thesis about a bubble-gum wrapper.

Please, tell us this is some sort of parodic joke.

Oh, well. At least, the set, costumes and lighting are pretty.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#277Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/10/13 at 8:43pm

I finally saw this today, and it was so much fun! I didn't really know the show, but it blew me away.

My goodness, Orion Griffiths in hot pants gives me, well, hot pants!

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#278Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/10/13 at 8:46pm

You'd think given all of the debate and analysis in response to the drivel After Eight posts, it'd be a little more forgiving.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

lenstersf
#279Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/10/13 at 10:08pm

Well, I appreciate that some find deeper meaning in the story. I also appreciate open-mindedness and the sharing of ideas. After Eight's better than thou attitude is TIRED.

PlayItAgain
#280Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/11/13 at 1:59am

saw it tonight.

Still recovering from how amazing it was, Diane Paulus has really tapped into an amazing force with this production, magic/acrobatics/vaudeville. I had a huge smile on my face the entire time and the cast is perfect from top to bottom, this seasons been pretty mediocre so thank god for something as astounding as this show to pull the season out of its slump. Its the kind of production that comes around once every few decades, magical and will remind you of how great broadway can really be and will make you fall in love with the theater all over again.

dkellergrl Profile Photo
dkellergrl
#281Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/12/13 at 10:32am

I saw this, over two weeks ago and I LOVED it. I've already purchased tickets to see it again in May, when my sister's back in town from San Francisco.

Just an amazing production and Patina Miller's FABULOUS!

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#282Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/12/13 at 4:38pm

Deleted-found more relevant thread!

Updated On: 4/12/13 at 04:38 PM

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#283Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/12/13 at 5:03pm

*********************SPOILER **************************************

***********************YOU'VE BEEN WARNED**************************

How did they do that stunt when the "half a woman" (apparently a woman from the waist down) walks across the stage pushing some kind of drinks cart! That was amazing. I guess it was done with mirrors, but I can't figure out how the illusion would work.

Updated On: 4/13/13 at 05:03 PM

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#284Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/12/13 at 5:13pm

^
*********************SPOILER **************************************

The cynic in me assumes a lady was just bent over, with her top half lodged in the table, it did look tall enough to house a human...torso...

HoldThatThought Profile Photo
HoldThatThought
#285Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/12/13 at 7:58pm

^ That must be a new one because I don't recall that trick in Cambridge.

Damiensta
#286Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/12/13 at 8:30pm

Spoiler ^^^^.

I figured she was bent over too

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#287Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/13/13 at 11:59am

******************SPOILER*********************

As I was watching it, I figured she had to be bent over somehow, but I remember thinking there was space between the waist and the cart. But that couldn't have been possible, because how else would she propel the cart? After all, she didn't have arms! I was even wondering if it could have been some kind of advanced animatronics device, but my theater partner said no, it was definitely human.

HoldThatThought, I didn't see the show in Cambridge, so I can't say if it's new for New York or not. But the trick happens so fast, and there's so much else happening on stage at the time, I think it's possible someone could miss it completely.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#288Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/13/13 at 12:02pm

I don't remember it from Cambridge, either. Paulus had indeed said there were additions.

I can't wait to get back to see this....I just don't know when my schedule will allow!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#289Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/13/13 at 1:57pm

"Heavens to Betsy!

So much psycho-babble devoted to "analyzing" what is essentially drivel. "

Serious question. WHY do you post here? You apparently hate discussion as you have your own, never wavering opinions. And seem to actually feel offence when people discuss something. I worry about your health--I think you would feel much better if you had a blog that some people could read. You really know your stuff, and always have great insight into that.

After Eight
#290Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/13/13 at 10:56pm

"WHY do you post here?"

First, in light of your insults, I instructed you not to ask me any questions. As always, you don't listen.

But, good soul that I am, I'll respond to this most presumptuous and offensive of questions.

I post for the same reason you and everyone else post here: to share knowledge, to comment on the theatre, to help others, and also, in my case, to provide balance, and to say what needs to be said.

As for my "unwavering" opinions, that gives me a good laugh. Do you, of all
people, self-proclaimed authority on everything and know-it-all supreme, ever waver in your opnions? Does anyone here?

But thank you very much for your concern about my health.

Jimbo2 Profile Photo
Jimbo2
#291Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/14/13 at 2:41pm

I finally got to see this revival after loving the original version, becoming friends with Ann Reinking and a huge fan of Fosse. The show was awesome, but I'm just wondering why there is no credit listed in the Playbill to him other than the Choreography by Chet Walker in the style of Bob Fosse? Didn't he write the original book or is this considered to be Diane's production etc? Just curious btw....also, buy your tickets now before the show opens-it will be a huge it!

"If we don't wake up and shake the nation, we'll eat the dust of the world, wondering why...why?"

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#292Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/14/13 at 3:02pm

The book was written by Roger O. Hirson.

Jimbo2 Profile Photo
Jimbo2
#293Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/14/13 at 4:19pm

Thanks for the clarification.

"If we don't wake up and shake the nation, we'll eat the dust of the world, wondering why...why?"

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#294Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/14/13 at 6:04pm

^ Actually, you're partially right. Fosse was never credited, but everybody acknowledges (except Hirson, who must consider it some sort of point of pride) that Fosse played with the book, and rewrote more than a few things without demanding credit.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky
Updated On: 4/14/13 at 06:04 PM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#295Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/14/13 at 6:22pm

Isn't that fairly standard though? Not universally, but when you're working with a known auteur?

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#296Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/14/13 at 6:33pm

These days, Greg, everybody has input at some point. The director wants a marble staircase, while the company manager believes it should be built from papier-mâché. Sales wants more "tits and ass," while an author might think every word of his is akin to Shakespeare. The resulting show is an amalgam of what everybody wants, as filtered through what the producer(s) was (were) able to get everyone to agree on.

Stuart Ostrow knew what he wanted Fosse to do. Fosse knew what he wanted to do. But Stephen Schwartz wouldn't have been (in)famously barred from rehearsals if he was completely on board with what happened. Professionals expect it. Newbies go with the flow or get kicked out of the stream.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky
Updated On: 4/14/13 at 06:33 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#297Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/14/13 at 6:52pm

Wow, I'm in awe of the strong opinions and philosophical debates about this show. I just have a simple question....when is Opening Night? Thanks...from RC in Austin, Texas P.S. I went thru every single page of this particular thread. Also, a number of people have mentioned the awesomeness of Orion Griffith's thighs. His wife is one lucky lady.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 4/14/13 at 06:52 PM

Tink2 Profile Photo
Tink2
#298Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/14/13 at 7:10pm

Opening night is April 25.

Updated On: 4/14/13 at 07:10 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#299Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/14/13 at 7:38pm

Merci.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)