pixeltracker

Pippin previews start tomorrow- Page 13

Pippin previews start tomorrow

missthemountains Profile Photo
missthemountains
#300Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/15/13 at 1:57am

Just rushed it today - was up in the box seats, which are by the way terrible seats for this show. Extreme partial view. I practically had to stand to see some of the action.

I should start out by prefacing that Pippin is one of my favorites, if not my favorite show. Paulus does wonders with staging. She is a true visionary. Just when you think there won't be another cool trick, she comes up with one. The cirque de sole aspect adds a lot to the production and really gets the play-within-a-play aspect perfectly. All of the acrobatics are jaw dropping and surprisingly "Simple Joys" became one of the biggest crowd pleasers in Act I (followed of course by "No Time At All" where Andrea Martin steals the show). It truly has to be seen to be believed. I would even go so far as to say it's the only production I've seen so far that does the finale any justice by using a live flame. I got a little misty eyed for Pippin towards the end. The only choice I'm not sure I was crazy about were all the animals during "Extraordinary". I think they couldve done without a few of them, but it was an inventive way to keep the ensemble in the scene.

All of the leads deliver extremely exceptional performances - and even though I am fundamentally against a female LP, Patina Miller is simply electrifying. I was expecting her to go a little crazier during the Finale, but otherwise, brilliant.

I will echo that I did not care for Rachel Bay Jones as Catherine. I don't know if its because I hated her Lady-of-the-Lake inspired costume but her performance was pretty lackluster when she used her "Catherine" voice ("Kind of Woman" was surprisingly underwhelming). They have cut anything related to "there was something about his foot", which I'm not sure is for the better and I think really added a fun and quirky element to her character. I also detest that they use the ending with Theo, after you can CLEARLY SEE Pippin and Catherine watch him trail off. I will never understand that ending choice.

I also noticed quite a few book and lyric changes. "War is A Science" is almost re-written entirely and there are a few book changes in Berthe's scene as well. I am curious who did these revisions because it does not sound like Roger O'Hirson's writing at all - not that that's a bad thing. I also now understand where people are saying it is desexualized, as the Fastrada/Lewis incest is pretty much entirely removed, as is Lewis' blatant homosexuality, but "With You" gets pretty nitty-gritty and Fosse inspired. One thing I liked was it seemed like there were more lines where the LP was mocking Catherine and making it very clear that Catherine has played this role before. However this production did make me wonder a lot if the show is in Pippin's head all along or if it truly is Pippin's first time playing the role and he doesn't know what's coming to him in the finale.

In spite of the few flaws I addressed, I was completely enamoured with this production and agree with PlayItAgain - in a pretty lousy season, this one really stands out. A truly magical night at the theatre.

Updated On: 4/15/13 at 01:57 AM

HoldThatThought Profile Photo
HoldThatThought
#301Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/15/13 at 4:47pm

^ They had the incest scene in Cambridge in previews, then removed it when I saw it the second time after opening. But others here have confirmed that it actually was in after opening when they saw it in Cambridge. So I don't know why Paulus keeps messing around with that scene. Wish she should make up her mind already!

Personally, I really liked the new ending.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#302Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/15/13 at 5:44pm

Thanks for more feedback on the box seats. From where I was seated that didn't look that bad but people had mentioned not wanting to sit in them before. It's odd to me that they charge so much for those seats (something like $144) if the view is that obstructed.

It seems to me from reading all the opinions is that if you didn't know much about PIPPIN going in then you liked/loved Rachel Bay Jones. If you're a fan of the show already then you dislike her. I wonder if it's just an inherent problem with the character that you can't get past.

I also now understand where people are saying it is desexualized, as the Fastrada/Lewis incest is pretty much entirely removed, as is Lewis' blatant homosexuality

I don't think it's desexualized at all. I found that orgy scene extremely erotic. The incest is implied more than being overt in times where Fastrada and Lewis are on top of one another and it looks like they're about to make out. Pippin jokes about Lewis' homosexuality when he says something to the effect of "I'm surprised you like women." I thought Lewis was gay but I didn't know if that was just how he was being played or if Erik Altemus is just that gay.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#303Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/15/13 at 6:30pm

It seems to me from reading all the opinions is that if you didn't know much about PIPPIN going in then you liked/loved Rachel Bay Jones. If you're a fan of the show already then you dislike her. I wonder if it's just an inherent problem with the character that you can't get past.

You may be right in terms of the majority, but I personally knew "Pippin" well before seeing this production in Boston, and did NOT like it. Rachel Bay Jones's performance is one of the elements that converted me to being a fan. :)

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#304Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/15/13 at 6:38pm

I knew and loved Pippin previous to this incarnation. I really liked RBJ, but preferred the other ending.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#305Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/15/13 at 7:10pm

The issue of Lewis being a camp gay or not has varied from production to production- it's become somewhat a standard staging, but allegedly the "I'm surprised you like women" line was intended either to show that A: Lewis is not usually interested in anything but himself, or B: Pippin knows what to say to get his brother's ire up.

If you wanna get technical, the "Lewis is a campy gay guy who REALLY loves his mother" schtick, all together, is a rather dated, offensive and ultimately retired stereotype, because while "silly campy gay guys" are still an accepted stereotype, the notion that they are that way because of being overly attached to their mothers has been tossed out with some of the ickier Freudian bathwater long ago.

Jtoth8922
#306Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/16/13 at 2:12pm

I saw It last week, and it is extremely enjoyable production! I always have lots of problems with the 2nd act of the show, find it sometimes boring, well alot boring! I'm baffled how people do not like Rachel Bay Jones. Her characterization of was one of the best i've seen! Just helped make the second act work for the first time for me. But I'm also a sucker for quirky, and she bought plenty of that. Plus, the decision to use her and Lewis as the sad outcast clowns in the first act was really a great touch!

WhatIWasBorn2Do Profile Photo
WhatIWasBorn2Do
#307Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/16/13 at 2:49pm

Saw the show Saturday. Payed full price, $99 for 5th row mezz center seats. Great seats, we felt really close! The production as a whole is phenomenal from acting, to stunts, to the singing, but it is the story and book that is the biggest problem for me. I went in unfamiliar with the storyline, and found it overall to be a little odd. My biggest problem was the second act. I couldn't help but feel cheated (POSS SPOILER) When the king comes back to life. Like, I thought it was a joke or a figment of Pippins imagination for a while. In my eyes, it made it seem like the act 1 finale was a waste because he wasn't King Pippin anymore (SPOILER END) But things sprung back up again with Catherine. I genuinely fell in love with her character. I ended up enjoying her scenes immensely.

Other than that hiccup, the beginning and end to this show is AMAZING. I mean, I left the show feeling very touched and inspired (mostly by the 'finale' and what happens there. SPOILER: Stripping the set to me left me awe-struck. I've never seen a show do that, and it was truly miraculous!) (END SPOILER)

Patina Miller is fantastic. I mean really. This girl has got it going on. The whole audience cares about her probably more than they do Pippin.

And lastly, while I hate comparing shows, I simply want to chime in on the possibility of this winning Best Revival. To be honest, I think I liked Edwin Drood better as a whole. I can't put my finger on it, but that's how I feel.

Tigger Profile Photo
Tigger
#308Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/16/13 at 6:53pm

i saw the sunday matinee and was completely blown away. I haven't been as entertained and thrilled since the first time I saw Cabaret (with Joel Grey and Jill Haworth),Chicago (the original with Gwen and Chita) or Lion King in it's opening week on Broadway. The cast is stupendous and seamless. Any nit picking IMHO is just that and completely irrelevant. There truly is not a weak link in the show as far as I am concerned and I hope the blasé critics who actually raved about that pile of drivel called Matilda get over themselves and rave about this show. On the other hand I don't think they will matter as judging from the audience reaction who went crazy several times during the show, the word of mouth should sell this very easily.

"Extraordinary how potent cheap music is..." Noel Coward-Private Lives

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#309Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/16/13 at 8:48pm

We were at the Sunday matinee as well. And yes, I'm bound to compare this production to Fosse's original (which I saw in '75 without the original cast).

Credit to Paulus for finding so many ways to use the circus conceit. The work of the troupe was adorable, sometimes dazzling, and a huge audience-pleaser. Reminded me of the old old days where singers sang, dancers danced, and stunt-performers performed stunts, and never the twain would meet. (Seemed clear to us that the circus performers weren't gonna sing, dance or act above the level of amateurs.) Mostly I missed the danger and the adult attitude of the original ensemble; all those Fosse come-ons and conspiratorial whisperings were replaced with happy smiles and bows on completing a move. Very entertaining. Very safe.

We absolutely adored Matthew James Thomas-- every beat was real and honest and terrifically sung-- truly the MVP of the cast. We couldn't bear Rachel Bay Jones in her first scenes, but wow, did she grow on us by the time we got to "Love Song", which was the highlight of the night for us. Andrea Martin and Terence Mann were really playing to the lowest denominator in the audience-- no joke or lyric would get a subtle delivery if a sledgehammer would do. And Patina Miller? Sorry to say but her performance was so not working for us. Everything was italicized, every Fosse move was popped, every note sounded processed like an autotuned pop song. All brass and flash. Where was the mysterious seduction of Pippin? Where was the sweetly friendly smile that masked devil's fangs? Where was the sweaty realness that made Ben Vereen's performance so hypnotic?

One huge improvement over the original-- most of Act II built and built beautifully as the Pippin/ Catherine/ Theo family finally came together, culminating in a terrific finale and final scene-- absolutely riveting.

Are we glad Pippin is back on Broadway? You bet. There's a huge abundance of pure entertainment (and heart in the final scenes) to dazzle the masses. But we wish the adults had been invited to the party for more of the night.

Updated On: 4/16/13 at 08:48 PM

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#310Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/17/13 at 10:31am

Isn't it amazing how we can all see the same exact show and performances and take away such polar opinions. I think a lot of it has to do with expectations. For example, I was very skeptical of a female Leading Player (or even a non-Vereen Leading Player), in particular Patina Miller whose Sister Act was a little...shallow, I guess is how I would describe. Or lacking layer and nuance. But I was completely converted after seeing her in this. In fact, I have the exact opposite opinion of Someone in a Tree regarding her performance. And I just can't take my eyes off of her whenever she's on stage (been 4 times now). And I think (back to my point) this has to do with my low expectations going in.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#311Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/17/13 at 10:41am

************************SPOILER ALERT********************************

********************PLEASE AVERT YOUR EYES**************************

*************NOTHING TO SEE HERE. PLEASE MOVE ALONG*****************

When Andrea Martin does her incredible stunt, I understand there are no safety harnesses or nets. But is there anyone standing below, spotting her? I know there's a strongman holding her while she does the aerial maneuvers, but is there someone else on the stage floor? I was so mesmerized by what she was doing, it didn't dawn on me to look beneath her, and now I'm curious. Has she ever taken a tumble, I wonder? Gosh, I hope not! That would be the finale that we would never forget!

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#312Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/17/13 at 12:24pm

Reply to macnyc
************************SPOILER ALERT********************************

********************PLEASE AVERT YOUR EYES**************************

*************NOTHING TO SEE HERE. PLEASE MOVE ALONG*****************

She has her strong man, and there are a bucnh of people pretty close standing around, but no one directly underneither her. Matthew was no more than a foot or two away the whole time, but there was definnelty no spotter. And no, I don't think anything has ever happened to her (and knock on wood that nothing ever does).

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#313Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/17/13 at 12:32pm

Well...it's still PIPPIN, which means the first third of the first act is kind of unbearable. But once it gets to 'Simple Joys' (possibly my favorite song in the score), the show really coalesced and managed to make whatever structural problems exist in the rest of the show either disappear or work to their advantage.

The cast is terrific, but the circus performers really deserve extraordinary praise. I mean...I have no idea how Equity is letting them get away with half the SH*T they're doing, but good lord is it exciting.

I agree that the Catherine/Pippin/Theo stuffs works really well...and I actually thought Rachel Bay Jones was a quirky, fascinating Catherine. She moved me greatly. And, for once, I found the Finale through the end harrowing and moving. Bravo/a to all for the wonderful stage craft that makes this show a highlight of the season.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#314Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/17/13 at 1:00pm

Thanks, Maddie! I hope to see Pippin again soon, but even the second time around, I probably won't be able to take my eyes off Andrea Martin!

SonofRobbieJ, well said!

dave1606
#315Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/19/13 at 11:28am

I would not watch this feature if you have not seen the show, but the NY times has a great behind the scenes of the opening number.
Spoilers
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/04/19/theater/deconstructing-pippin.html?smid=fb-share&_r=1&

Also, I just wanted to give them credit for this video they put out this week. EriK Altemus giving a history of the music box. More shows should do this, I thought it was really interesting!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_yXGn44eIw

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#316Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/19/13 at 11:45am

Two theatre friends arrived in NY yesterday and asked what I would recommend. Although I haven't seen it yet (tickets in May), I suggested PIPPIN, based on the great word-of-mouth on the board. They were totally down on seeing it, hate the show (saw in at Donmar in London), and despite what I said, no sale.

Never thought PIPPIN was much of a show beyond Fosse staging and Vereen performance, but hard to ignore the comments about this production. Are there others who feel similarly? Most posts indicate that people love this show, and always have, which I don't get.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#317Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/19/13 at 11:50am

Dave, that is a terrific video. Thanks for posting! And I agree, it's spoilerish. I'm amazed at how Patina performs during this number. I completely missed it the first time I saw the show.

Updated On: 4/19/13 at 11:50 AM

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#318Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/19/13 at 11:52am

I try not to be super-negative on this board about shows...but I will say that I think PIPPIN is generally a dog of a show that must have extraordinary stage craft to make it even somewhat entertaining. Luckily, this production has a great deal of wonderful stage craft, terrific, committed performers and a true belief in the silly story they're telling. That makes it all work to an impressive degree.

dave1606
#319Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/19/13 at 12:15pm

Thanks Macnyc. The number truly is stunning, but it can be a bit overwhelming in the theater as there is so much going on.

I love this as a way to go back and look at everything that is going on. Great to hear Paulus explain it.

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#320Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/19/13 at 2:28pm

Saw Pippin Wed Night, I am still in awe. Diane Paulus and Niel Patrick Harris and his partner was there that night. Matthew James Thomas.....I feel that his type of acting is not only authentic but heart felt. Around Andrea Martin, the stunts, the set, and Patina.... there is Thomas who puts in 110% into his character. Maybe his performance isn't the most Tony Winning, but its a reminder of how only the best of the best end on the the Great White Way and that passion goes with it.

Patina, I enjoyed her performance she was spot on throughout the entire show. Andrea Martin, an under-appreciated actress in the business, always blows you away...even in the few minutes she is on stage. Terrence Man, was also great casting.

and if you do sit in row AA, definitely get a Booster seat, I did and the person behind me wasn't happy but I was :)

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#321Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/20/13 at 12:35am

from Pippin The musical P.S. I want to hear about Orion Griffith's thighs. (smile)

Pippin

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 4/20/13 at 12:35 AM

PlayItAgain
#322Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/20/13 at 1:05am

*******possible spoiler********

can anyone confirm is the trick at the top of act 2 with the balance board and the cylinders done at every performance?

getatme
#323Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/20/13 at 2:46am

Yes, it is.

peachesr82 Profile Photo
peachesr82
#324Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/20/13 at 5:15am

Maybe someone who's been and seen can tell me, does it still feel like there's a Fosse presence there? I don't know if they've used pieces of the original choreography or not but from the bits I've seen online there seems to be at least an element of that.