pixeltracker

Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie- Page 3

Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie

Wildcard
#50Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 8:40pm

Don't forget, in Sweeney Todd, he and Helena were directed to play the characters as more somber and dark. While Helena wasn't the best singer, she was acceptable in Les Mis. I think Rob Marshall can bring a more colorful out of Mr. Depp.

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#51Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 8:49pm

Imagine if this is a big enough hit for Disney that there ends up being an Into the Woods ride and characters at Disney's theme parks.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#52Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 9:19pm

Disney essentially has most of these characters in the parks already and I DOUBT they'd have multiple versions of Cinderella and Rapunzel (and their respective princes) walking around.

Though, depending on the film's success, I could see meet-and-greets with the Witch, Jack or even Little Red.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#53Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 9:24pm

Depp as the Baker will really sezl the deal for me not spending a dime to see this in a theater. I like him as an actor but now they ard messing with one of my all time favorite musicals. At most, I will borrow it, and August Osage, when they come out on dvd.

Just give the world Love.

SporkGoddess
#54Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 10:24pm

Isn't Depp kind of old to play the Baker, too?

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#55Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 10:53pm

I LOVE JOHHNY DEPP AS THE BAKER...

what about Jennifer Lawrence as Cinderella?...she looks so perfect for the role and she can act...does anyone know if she can sing?...can u imagine if she could...OMG!!!...SHEAR HEAVEN!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#56Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 11:41pm

I'm totally down with Depp, he's a great Actor and he can kinda sing.
I think it also means they can now get more A-listers.

It's Marshall I'm still worried about.

The good thing about Sondheim is that allows the movies of his works to be new different entities, not copies or reproductions of the Stage shows.

I pray the script works.

Updated On: 4/27/13 at 11:41 PM

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#57Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 11:52pm

I officially hope this never gets made. Depp will just make the Baker another of his quirky characters. He always accentuates the wacky aspects of his roles. He seldom plays a human being.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

beautywickedlover
#58Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 11:59pm

Seth Rudetsky said that Sondheim fans would be pleased with the casting. I wonder if he was referring to the fans of the 'Sweeney Todd' film.

"Annoyingly, I promised I would keep it a secret, but I think Sondheim fans will be pleased."

http://www.playbill.com/celebritybuzz/article/176962-ONSTAGE-BACKSTAGE-Seth-Chats-With-Len-Cariou-Joanna-Gleason-and-Into-the-Woods-Director-Rob-Marshall

"Disney essentially has most of these characters in the parks already and I DOUBT they'd have multiple versions of Cinderella and Rapunzel (and their respective princes) walking around. "

For its 'Alice in Wonderland' characters, they stick to Walt Disney version and do not include anyone from the Tim Burton version.

bobs3
#59Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/27/13 at 12:00am

You are confusing the Johnny Depp of the Pirates films and Tim Burton fluff films with the Johnny Depp who who takes serious roles and finds the humanity in the characters -- Edward Scissorhands, What's Eating Gilbert Grape?, Finding Neverland, Nick of Time, Donnie Brasco, Don Juan DeMarco, Chocolat, Blow, The Libertine and even Sweeney Todd (before the character goes mad). Depp is a good enough actor to strike the right balance between comedy and pathos in the role of the Baker.

Updated On: 4/27/13 at 12:00 AM

broadwaybabywannabe2
#60Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/27/13 at 12:17am

Playbilly btw I love your avatar pic...PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE...a very underrated movie, and one I will always remember as I worked for 20th Century Films when it premiered back in 1974...I actually got to do a sound check at the old and now long gone National Theatre in Westwood before the first showing of the film ...

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#61Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/27/13 at 1:44am

I'm really not happy with this. Depp's more recent work has been really subpar and he seems to be giving variations on the same performance in every film he does now. I think he is capable of brilliance, but his performance in Sweeney Todd was such a massive letdown that him as the Baker would be enough to keep me away from this.

Then again, I think Marshall is probably enough to keep a lot of people away, given the hack job he did on Nine.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#62Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/27/13 at 1:52am

I loved him in Sweeney Todd (so did many on this forum at the time actually - it seems there is a growing SWEENEY backlash). But after seeing the trailer for THE LONE RANGER I know what you mean about giving variations of the same performance. However, best12bars is right that FINDING NEVERLAND shows he can play a 'normal' person. So I'm still going to give him a chance.

With Meryl Streep, Johnny Depp and Disney attached this film I personally predict the complete opposite to a lot of people staying away. Let me be the first one to prematurely claim the highest grossing movie musical of all time.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 4/27/13 at 01:52 AM

beautywickedlover
#63Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/27/13 at 2:00am

"I think Marshall is probably enough to keep a lot of people away, given the hack job he did on Nine."

I thought he did a great job as the director of the 1999 TV film, 'Annie'.

broadwaybabywannabe2
#64Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/27/13 at 3:34am

marshall directed CHICAGO TO 6 WSCARS so he can direct given good material...and INTO THE WOODS IS GREAT MATERIAL

kieranbec Profile Photo
kieranbec
#65Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/27/13 at 4:52am

My money's on him playing the wolf and (if double cast) Cinderella's Prince.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#66Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/27/13 at 6:38am

I'm getting whiplash from this premature, we-don't-have-the-facts news.

He's playing the Baker, he's playing the Wolf, no, the Baker ...

All have links to articles. All articles, therefore, are full of crap.

I'll wait until they start filming and everyone's standing around in their costumes. Hopefully, by then, someone will accurately report the cast list.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

MusicalBoy Profile Photo
MusicalBoy
#67Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/27/13 at 9:25am

I think this could be very interesting...

In my opinion, the Baker has never been cast (or possibly directed) very well since Chip Zien.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#68Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/27/13 at 9:48am

I would like to see Raul Esparza as The Baker.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#69Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/27/13 at 9:51am

In most fantasies, there is at least one character who is grounded in real, honest emotions. Usually, the protagonist, but not always. Still it's like seeing a photo of a giant balloon with no frame of reference around it other than a solid blue sky. You can't tell how big or small it is. The assessment is thrown off unless there is something "down to scale" for comparison.

(Think about the giant ship of Titanic going across the screen in the movie. The only reason that shot has impact is because you see the tiny seagulls flying next to it, and then our minds understand the perspective. Otherwise, it could be 20 feet long or even less.)

The Baker and His Wife are the grounded characters in Into the Woods. Everyone else can be crazy and "out of proportion," but not them. They are the frame of reference for the audience to accept the others as larger-than-life.

Think about it:
Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz
Alice in Alice in Wonderland
Wendy in Peter Pan
Luke Skywalker in Star Wars
Frodo Baggins in Lord of the Rings

In Sweeney Todd, it's Anthony and (arguably) the Greek Chorus throughout the story. They provide the perspective.

Even satirical farces like "How To Succeed" need one grounded character (Rosemary) for perspective.

They are usually the heart and soul of the story. They can be surrounded by crazy, quirky, unrealistic characters or settings. But without them, audiences don't have their frame of reference, the impact will be lost without the juxtaposition, and ultimately, they will disconnect from what they're seeing.

Johnny Depp is a terrific actor, but is he willing to be the "normal" one (along with the Baker's Wife) in a room full of fairy-tale crazies? Or will the temptation to join in be too strong for him?

If he joins in, he will ruin this film.

(For some reason, I'm already picturing the first photo released to the public---a Chef-Boyardee-From-Hell Baker with green cat-eye contact lenses, bright blue hair, twirly red mustache, clown-white face, and toothy grin. That's the death knell, right there.)

Updated On: 4/27/13 at 09:51 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#70Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/27/13 at 10:19am

At least we know he'll use a fake British accent. So there's that...

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#71Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/27/13 at 10:43am

Sweet.

A Cockney Baker (Depp) and his Southern wife (Witherspoon).

Here they are, ladies and gentlemen:

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#72Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/27/13 at 12:14pm

They cannot cast Witherspoon now that Depp is involved, I feel like her Baker's Wife would just come off as annoyed and over it opposite Depp. Truth be told, it's hard to cast a female counterpart to Depp, he rarely gets cast in roles where he has a romantic interest anymore. The last few times, RUM DIARY and THE TOURIST, he had no chemistry with the female leads. He did have great, sweet chemistry with Kate Winslet in FINDING NEVERLAND and she'd be a wonderful Baker's Wife. Kristen Wiig was in contention to costar with him in Marshall's remake of THE THIN MAN so hopefully she is now being considered for this again.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#73Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/27/13 at 12:24pm

^ What about Keira Knightley? She has a lovely voice.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#74Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/27/13 at 12:27pm

I really could see Kate Winslet opposite him in this