pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 3:15pm

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13 Click below to access all the grosses from all the shows for the week ending 5/5/2013 in BroadwayWorld.com's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance was: THE TESTAMENT OF MARY (4.9%), VANYA AND SONIA AND MASHA AND SPIKE (4.7%), THE RASCALS: ONCE UPON A DREAM (3.8%), NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT (2.8%), MAMMA MIA! (2.6%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1.8%), CHICAGO (1.7%), KINKY BOOTS (1.6%), LUCKY GUY (0.7%), MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance was: THE TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL (-16.9%), THE BIG KNIFE (-11.5%), MACBETH (-6.1%), SPIDER-MAN TURN OFF THE DARK (-5.4%), CINDERELLA (-5.4%), JEKYLL & HYDE (-4.9%), ROCK OF AGES (-3.7%), WICKED (-3.4%), THE NANCE (-3.2%), JERSEY BOYS (-2.8%), NEWSIES (-2.5%), ANNIE (-2.4%), THE LION KING (-2.2%), ONCE (-2.1%), PIPPIN (-1.6%), ANN (-0.9%), ORPHANS (-0.8%), I'LL EAT YOU LAST: A CHAT WITH SUE MENGERS (-0.6%), THE ASSEMBLED PARTIES (-0.2%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 3:28pm

I wonder why Cinderella can't fill the seats for being such a recognized name? Maybe with a continual slew of TV appearances and some TONY attention it'll help.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 3:30pm

^Once summer comes around I'm sure grosses and attendance for Cinderella will go up.

theaterfan862 Profile Photo
theaterfan862
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 3:31pm

Well I see why they pulled the plug on Orphans. Kinky Boots, Matilda, and Motown are doing very good business!

ucjrdude902
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 3:38pm

Anyone know what the Cinderella running cost is?

Jonwo
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 3:42pm

Once and Newsies I think have been dented by the arrival of new shows but both shows are doing fine and making money, both should see an uptick in sales come summer.

Mamma Mia! Has picked up in recent weeks, it'll be interesting what the grosses will be like when it moves to the Broadhurst,

Noel&Cole
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 3:46pm

I'm surprised over ORPHANS. Unless the advance takes a huge nosedive.... their grosses still seem like they'd meet running costs. Who knows though. Maybe it falls off a cliff? Seems surprising to me though.

WOW KINKY BOOTS! Those are stronger numbers than I ever expected. Especially pre-Tony Awards. Word of mouth must be electric! And perhaps Cyndi Lauper's name is actually selling tickets? Either way... good for them.

Cinderella has been dropping every week. Not nearly the sort of numbers it was showing it's first two month.... even before spring break time ... when it was the dead of winter it was doing better numbers. Still respectable but I wonder if word of mouth is starting to catch up with it especially in the wake of huge hits in KINKY BOOTS, PIPPIN, and MATILDA. I'm sure the summer will be kind to them though.

Noel&Cole
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 3:51pm

Also is SPIDERMAN really 1.1 m a week to run? If so they seem to be having quite a few losing weeks. I'm sure they will tick up in the summer... but do we think they'll still be around in Sept/Oct?

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 3:53pm

Cinderella's running costs are probably around $700,000-$750,000. The highest expense they probably have is costume maintenance, followed by cast, and orchestra.

ucjrdude902
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 3:59pm

Woah that's a big number!

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 4:22pm

HOLY KINKY!!! This is most surprising to me personally, as I didn't think they would do well, but wow.

Also keep in mind that school is winding down, so many students are in exams, finals, HS is in APs, etc, so that's also a portion of the audience. Summer will really help Cinderella.

KathyNYC2
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 5:05pm

Yay! Kinky Boots!! (and the other shows too!)

KathyNYC2
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 5:06pm

Yay! Kinky Boots!! (and the other shows too!)

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 5:11pm

Cinderella just isn't exciting theater.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 5:14pm

I wonder why PIPPIN didn't try to get a bigger theatre?

Go KINKY!

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 5:21pm

Golly Gosh--Poor Annie----doesn't look like the sun is gunna come up there much longer.

Updated On: 5/6/13 at 05:21 PM

Theater'sBestFriend
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 5:24pm

Kinky Boots' weekly grosses are even more impressive when you consider that it didn't come to Broadway with tremendous advance sales out of Chicago (the weekly grosses reflect tickets being currently released that were previously sold as well as those being currently sold, I believe). So I think for a show like Matilda, which had great buzz out of London, weekly grosses reflect a combination of what people are buying now and what they bought in advance based on their anticipation. I believe Kinky Boots' numbers are more based on what folks are buying now, which is reflective of current buzz and word of mouth.

corkystclair2
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 5:24pm

Maybe MATILDA is cannibalizing the ANNIE audience?

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 5:55pm

I would doubt that the costs of Cinderella are that high. I'd guess less than $700K.

And as someone said above, the show should have great numbers during the summer. I actually think that if they were smart they'd add an additional matinee and scratch one of the weekday night shows.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 6:00pm

"I wonder why PIPPIN didn't try to get a bigger theatre? "

I personally don't. I don't think the success of this show was very obvious at the time. It was a very quick transfer, has no stars etc. and looking at Godspell it's not as if everyone is automatically rushing to see Schwartz's shows. Well received revivals open all the time but close quickly (Ragtime, Finians Rainbow) so I don't know what variables they would have known they needed a bigger theatre. Besides, now they have the opportunity to sell more premium tickets and generate hype. Seems like a good decision to me.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 6:01pm

You just really never know what is gonna connect with audiences. Kinky is getting great word of mouth and Cinderella is not.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

AEA AGMA SM
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 6:53pm

I'm assuming Matilda must have more seats that are being sold at a lower price, as even though they do have about 60 more seats available than Kinky Boots their potential gross is about 200,000 less. At any rate, glad to see both shows are doing well.

Like others I'm going to guess that Cinderella will see an uptick during the summer and should probably be able to last at least through the holiday rush to the end of the year. They have seen a drop, but their first few weeks they were running there was a lot less competition.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 6:54pm

^^On the contrary, Cinderella has been getting GOOD word of mouth, maybe not as insane as Matilda or Kinky Boots but it is there.

Updated On: 5/6/13 at 06:54 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 7:17pm

Meanwhile, I'm surprised how "Ann" can continue to operate, in spite of dismal box office numbers.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/13
Posted: 5/6/13 at 9:03pm

Pippin's in the right theater. let the ticket demand be there, it'll simply keep the show running longer(plus several Tony awards will help). Not concerned for Once or Newsies as they're both still making money. There's just a lot of new competition out there, they'll both do fine over the summer. And I'm very pleased to see the grosses for Vanya and Sonia... continue to climb. I heard this weekend's shows were nearly sold-out. Also, here we all thought Matilda would be the hot ticket with the new shows. It turns out both Kinky Boots AND Motown are out-grossing it.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 5/6/13 at 09:03 PM

Videos