pixeltracker

Should "Candide" be considered obscure theatre?

Should "Candide" be considered obscure theatre?

Phan#24601 Profile Photo
Phan#24601
#1Should "Candide" be considered obscure theatre?
Posted: 8/25/13 at 1:59am

What do you guys think about this? I think it's a curious question. I just saw Kristin Chenoweth at the Hollywood Bowl, and I was waiting all night for "Glitter and Be Gay", but she did not sing it. Just wondering if you guys think it would be because many people would not know the song, or maybe because she is just trying to change up her set list.

My biggest pet peeve right now is when people pronounce it "Marry-us" and not "Mah-ree-us".

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 2:08am

I'm not sure but when she was at the Sydney Opera House she did not sing it either BUT THE MUSIC WAS THERE ON THE ORCHESTRA STANDS. It was quite frustrating. Maybe she doesn't sing it if she is too tired/sick or something.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

John J Mackay
#2Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 2:27am

Yes it should, No one I know knows about it. It not like Guys and Dolls Oklahoma Sound of Music etc. But Kristin would be amazing in the role of Cunegonde and I would pay top price to see her in the role.

Phan#24601 Profile Photo
Phan#24601
#3Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 2:37am

You should watch the DVD recording from 2004. She played Cunegonde and Patti LuPone played The Old Woman...the other leads were really great too, but unfortunately I do not know their names off the top of my head. You might be able to find it on YouTube. By the way, Kristin Chenoweth was super fantastic!

My biggest pet peeve right now is when people pronounce it "Marry-us" and not "Mah-ree-us".

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#4Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 10:33am

How can it be considered obscure? The Original Broadway Cast Album has never been out of print. It has had two subsequent Broadway revivals. It had a successful City Opera production that was broadcast on PBS and has been revived there several times since. It had a major studio recording, conducted by Bernstein, and taped for television and DVD. There were major productions of it by the Scottish Opera and the Royal National Theatre, as well as the Théâtre du Châtelet version in Paris and a major revival just a few years ago at the Goodman in Chicago. The Overture, "Glitter and Be Gay" and "Make Our Garden Grow" remain concert staples. There are eight commercially available recordings of the score, and four or five DVD versions. It may not be known by the young and naive, but for anyone who goes to theatre, opera or concert stages with any frequency, I don't know how anyone would not have experienced at least some of the show's music, whether knowingly or unknowingly.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#5Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 10:37am

Anyone going to see Chenoweth in concert will most likely know at least some of the score.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ARTc3
#6Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 11:13am

Thank you Smaxie. Of course it's not "obscure". Musicals that have been on Broadway, now three times, aren't obscure. Perhaps, you mean, "classic". That I would agree to.

ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#7Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 11:16am

CANDIDE, obscure?!! Since when?

#8Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 4:13pm

What's Candide?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#9Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 4:15pm

I do not think so. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought of theatre of the obscure (a genre in and of itself)!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#10Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 4:22pm

I don't think "Glitter and Be Gay" is obscure, just very difficult. The last time I saw Barbara Cook she made it clear early in the evening that she would NOT be attempting "that song."

Can't say I blame her.

Updated On: 8/25/13 at 04:22 PM

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#11Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 4:32pm

Come on Joe, really? You never heard of Candide Apples?

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#12Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 4:40pm

This may be blasphemy, but I once thought Candide would make a really interesting animated feature, with the sumptuous orchestrations of the '56 version, the book and song-stack of the '99 version, and the wacky off-kilter sensibility of the '74 version.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#13Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 4:47pm

Doesn't sound like blasphemy to me, although if you are going to put it on video, do you even need animation?

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#14Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 4:52pm

Yeah, Glitter and Be Gay is a hell of a difficult song to sing. Her rendition is pretty definitive, but I couldn't see someone singing that and then doing an hour long set. Particularly mixing genres as she does.

That said - I think we need to define what "obscure" means in this context. I don't think it's obscure the way Bat Boy is obscure, but it is one of those pieces that save for the concert that Cheno did has been largely forgotten.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#15Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 5:04pm

Doesn't sound like blasphemy to me, although if you are going to put it on video, do you even need animation?

I just thought the picaresque world of Candide lent itself well to an animated form.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#16Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 5:15pm

It is obscure to the masses, in the same way that shows like Sunday and Grey Gardens are, but I would assume everyone attending a Chennoweth concert should be familiar with Glitter and be Gay.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#17Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 6:55pm

The overture is the background score for every PBS fund raising broadcast.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

bobs3
#18Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 8:07pm

GLITTER AND BE GAY is a very difficult song to sing even for a 25 year-old singer. It's not surprising that a 45 year-old singer might not feel she could do the song justice.

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#19Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 8:23pm

Regarding animation, I think that could be a way to really sell Voltaire's satire in a much more palatable way. As a culture, we accept animated characters rising up again and again after obviously being destroyed in freak accidents far easier than we accept the same with actual actors. Animation could create just that little bit of extra distance needed for a wider audience to really buy into the narrative.

As for obscurity, theater people know the show more than the general population. It's been produced more than most shows on Broadway and has the concert staging on DVD, but would most people recognize it in some way like Fiddler on the Roof or Peter Pan? I don't think so.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#20Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 9:27pm

First of all, I wouldn't think Chenoweth's decision to include "Glitter and Be Gay" in concert has much to do with how well known Candide is, but rather whether the song works in the context of the program.

No Candide shouldn't now be considered an obscure musical. A historical perspective:

1956 flop

1956-1973 obscure musical

1969-1975 "Glitter and Be Gay" heard nightly by millions as theme song for the Dick Cavett Show

1973 renaissance - the Chelsea Theater revival

1973-present - a fairly well known musical, neither a household name nor a little known show: somewhere on the middle of the scale of musical celebrity, neither a Phantom of the Opera nor a Pirate Queen.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#21Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 9:38pm

Candide, I would say, is more famous as a piece of music than as a show. It exists in the public/artistic consciousness, but mostly on the reputation of "Glitter and Be Gay" and "Candide's Overture." An opus, not a musical of note.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#22Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 9:50pm

I'd add "Make Our Garden Grow" to the generally well known gems from the score.

#23Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 10:41pm

Wait, someone made a musical of Candide Camera? About damn time.

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#24Should
Posted: 8/25/13 at 11:08pm

The word "obscure" could be somewhat applicable in the sense that the show never seems to be performed, nor recorded, the same way twice. EVERYONE seems to have his/her own version. Plant a radish, get a radish, but never with CANDIDE.

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....