pixeltracker

Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?

Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#1Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/14/14 at 1:44pm

It is playing at the MARK TAPER FORUM in Los Angeles and I am really excited to see this show...what was the Broadwayworld crowd's opinion?

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#2Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/14/14 at 1:58pm

I saw it a couple of weeks ago in DC and I'm surprised I really disliked it as much as I did. On paper the premise sounds very funny, but I think I might have chuckled only a couple of times. I'm not sure if it was Michael Urie's performance, or the writing itself, but I wasn't engaged with the play at all. I was also disappointed that when Michael attempted to immitate Barbra, he didn't even remotely come close to sounding like her. If there had been an intermission, I would have walked out.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 7/14/14 at 01:58 PM

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#2Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/14/14 at 2:03pm

I saw it here in Chicago and was surprised by how much I loved it. It’s a wonderful performance and wonderful show. It was hilarious, yes, but I also left the theatre feeling extremely moved. I say definitely go see it, especially with Urie at the helm.

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#3Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/14/14 at 2:06pm

I just saw it with Barrett Foa here in NYC 2 weeks ago and thought it was very funny. And Dottie - there's a line in the show right at the beginning where the character says he is not even going to TRY to imitate Barbra, as so many other people do it so much better.

I say go see it.

DottieD'Luscia
#4Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/14/14 at 2:15pm

^Thanks, I remember that line, but still felt something was lacking whenever he was portraying her. I'm really surprised I didn't like it, as I have friends with similar tastes in theatre as me that liked it.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Will3700 Profile Photo
Will3700
#5Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/14/14 at 2:22pm

I saw it with Barret Foa when I was in New York for my Broadway trip and loved it
I am seeing it again with Michael Urie in Dallas in sept

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#6Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/14/14 at 2:24pm

Fun show, I enjoyed it and Michael Urie immensely.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#7Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/14/14 at 2:39pm

THANKS! everybody for all the insight for this show...I loved Michael in UGLY BETTY, and being such a HUGE Babs fan I think this will be something I would like...my review to follow...I am seeing this this Thursday or Friday night...:)

rjm516
#8Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/14/14 at 2:53pm

Urie is so perfect in this show. I think it's a must-see. Totally adorable and enjoyable.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#9Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/14/14 at 2:55pm

Go see it, Michael Urie is wonderful in the show.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#10Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/14/14 at 3:09pm

Anybody know of any discount codes for LA?

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

DottieD'Luscia
#11Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/14/14 at 3:27pm

I got my discount ticket on Goldstar.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#12Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/14/14 at 5:52pm

^ So did I. Seats were in the last row, Row N, though in the center.

We caught the second preview at the Mark Taper amid a nearly capacity crowd at the theater. Reminded us again how beautiful a setting the whole Music Center complex can be on a lovely summer evening-- the fountains, architecture, al fresco dining, and cosmopolitan theater and opera-going crowd show off a segment of LA summer life at its best.

That said, our take on the play itself was a mixed bag-- Dazzling performance by Michael Urie of a pretty-good almost-but-not-quite a play. Yes, you laugh uproariously at the insider jokes about Barbra or Arthur (Laurents) or James (Brolin). And yes, Michael Urie is captivating playing every role with precision and a kind of bitchy but loving respect. Very much a delight while you're sitting there, but you start to wonder what the point was 10 minutes after leaving the theater.

Owen22
emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#14Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/14/14 at 7:16pm

Darn missed my chance on Goldstar (which I hardly use yet pay for a premium account for hmmmm). Hopefully a code pops up.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

dsleft
#15Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/14/14 at 7:22pm

if you get a free ticket and/or you are not diabetic

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#16Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/14/14 at 7:23pm

The theatre holds hot tix for 20.00 bucks for every performance ( call the box office to check ) and you can pick them up on the day.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#17Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/14/14 at 7:29pm

I'd go see anything with Michael Urie. I never watched Ugly Betty, but discovered Michael as Rudy Gernreich, one of the founders of the Mattachine Society in the play THE TEMPERAMENTALS. He was superb.I met him, as the play was at the theater where I worked. Not only is he amply adorable, but he's very nice, too.

Then I saw him as Prior in the Signature version of Angels in America. Again, superb. One of my favorite actors.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#18Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/14/14 at 7:31pm

Jeez Jane. You have worked everywhere, know everyone and have done everyone. I am in awe.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#19Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/14/14 at 7:35pm

You know, Dame, I don't understand it. I sometimes think how is that? I don't know. It should've happened to someone who is starstruck!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

DebraR
#20Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/14/14 at 10:31pm

I always get Hot Tix for the Ahmanson and Taper. Just call up and see if they have them available for the day you want. $20 each, can't beat it!

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#21Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/15/14 at 1:18am

Incredibly impressed with the play and with Michael Urie. This is a must see

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#22Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/15/14 at 12:04pm

^ I'm glad you had such a great time. I'm sincerely interested in hearing what you thought the play was telling us. What was the takeaway supposed to be, other than to entertain us?

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#23Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/16/14 at 12:26am

I thought it was pleasant. I was expecting a laugh out loud riot. It was charming and had a few laughs, but I didn't love love love it. I brought my teenage niece with me. She's not exactly a Babs fan. I don't think she got most of the references. I guess I've been slacking on my auntie responsibilities. When she walked into the theatre, her first comment was, "Auntie, everyone's so old." I guess it was just not the show for her. It's enjoyable but I wouldn't pay full price for it.

Replacement Cast Profile Photo
Replacement Cast
#24Is BUYER and CELLAR with the original star MICHAEL URIE worth seeing?
Posted: 7/16/14 at 11:29am

Go see it. I saw it last fall in NYC. It's a great evening and Urie is uber charming. I think the Taper is small enough because the venue needs to be small (like the Barrow in NYC) to really give the production its intimacy. By all means, Go if you can.

Nice is different than good.