Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing

HighFlyingAdored97 Profile Photo
HighFlyingAdored97
#2Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing
Posted: 7/14/14 at 6:41pm

Well, we can't say this was a surprise.

"The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing
Posted: 7/14/14 at 6:42pm

As bratty as this sounds why do we seem to know better when to close shows than producers? Most members on this forum would have probably advised to close the show after 1 performance, which would have saved them a fair amount of money.

I can't think of the last time a show recovered with grosses as terrible as those.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#3Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing
Posted: 7/14/14 at 6:47pm

What upcoming show could land at the Palace Theatre?

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Patti LuPone FANatic
#4Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Patti LuPone FANatic
#5Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing

showchoirguy Profile Photo
showchoirguy
#6Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing
Posted: 7/14/14 at 6:49pm

vpd1981
#7Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing
Posted: 7/14/14 at 6:50pm

Not surprised at all. The entire idea/concept was/is terrible; it really never should have happened in the first place. It never should have gotten past the workshop phase.

That being said, I'm sorry for the actors/crew. I know what it's like and it's a bummer.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#8Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing
Posted: 7/14/14 at 6:55pm

OMG!

Could HEATHERS XFur here????!?! I know it's a little big but it's HEATHERS so it'll sell! This NEEDS to be on Broadway!!!!!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#9Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing
Posted: 7/14/14 at 6:59pm

Sad, but there was no demographic for this. I hope Saul Williams comes back to Broadway again, he is an incredible musician and poet, and I look forward to seeing what he does next.

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#10Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing
Posted: 7/14/14 at 7:00pm

"As bratty as this sounds why do we seem to know better when to close shows than producers?"

You act like the producers were unable to analyze the weekly grosses and only the savants on this board were truly able to understand that 17% of potential grosses meant the show wasn't doing well financially. I'm sure they had their reasons to keep the show running until now even though it was clearly doing very poorly and I'm sure the fact that some of the folks on this board didn't understand or agree with their reasoning was pretty far down on the list of things they cared about. Well, now on to the next weekly death watch.

ajh
#11Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing
Posted: 7/14/14 at 7:02pm

Miss Saigon next into the Palace?? Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing

Showface
#12Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing
Posted: 7/14/14 at 7:06pm

I just love how at the Tonys that man (can't remember his name) , said that this would take Broadway by storm. That obviously didn't happen. Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing But wheb I first heard of this show...I knew it was not going to last.

theminutepast
#13Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing

Did Side Show already secure a theater? Weren't they looking to come to Broadway as early as this fall? Miss Saigon is still a year off, right?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#14Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing

And while I'm surprised it lasted this long, I'll give them credit for believing in their product, hoping word of mouth would turn things around.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

JohnyBroadway
#15Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing

My Fair Lady?

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#16Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing
Posted: 7/14/14 at 7:12pm

Jordan you can keep doing your 'jokes' about Heathers all you want but to be fair it would probably sell better than Holler did.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Mattbrain
#17Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing
Posted: 7/14/14 at 7:14pm

"Could HEATHERS XFur here????!?! I know it's a little big but it's HEATHERS so it'll sell! This NEEDS to be on Broadway!!!!!"

Yep…called it! Every chance ya get!

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#18Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing
Posted: 7/14/14 at 7:15pm

Reidel said this a few weeks ago, but I wouldn't be surprised if Finding Neverland takes the Palace. (That is, if Boston reviews are decent)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#19Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing
Posted: 7/14/14 at 7:34pm

It is a shame when any show closes. Having said that, this came as no surprise. It is amazing it got past the opening week.

Poster Emeritus

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#20Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing
Posted: 7/14/14 at 7:51pm

"Jordan you can keep doing your 'jokes' about Heathers all you want but to be fair it would probably sell better than Holler did."

That's high praise, the ability to sell more tickets than the worst-selling show on Broadway, heh.

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#21Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing
Posted: 7/14/14 at 8:11pm

Wow, Fisherbitch Bob made a pompous, condescending comment! It must be a day of the week!

bryan
#22Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing
Posted: 7/14/14 at 8:30pm

any news on a cast cd of the show and when it will be ready

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#23Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing
Posted: 7/14/14 at 8:34pm

I doubt there will be a cast CD, bryan. Sorry, buddy! Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#24Holler If Ya Hear Me Closing
Posted: 7/14/14 at 9:01pm

How long will it take to undo the stadium seating at the Palace? Would that delay a new tenant trying to rush in while tourist season is still going?

Not saying any show would try to take it that quickly, just curious.