Favorite Flop

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#25Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/24/14 at 1:37pm

Nick and Nora

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#26Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/24/14 at 2:14pm

Mary Martin's Peter Pan was a limited engagement on Broadway. It had already made all its money back from the sale of the TV rights to NBC while it was still playing pre-Broadway runs in San Francisco and LA.

Updated On: 11/24/14 at 02:14 PM

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#27Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/24/14 at 2:26pm

Jekyll & Hyde (2013 Revival)
Bonnie and Clyde
Catch Me if You Can
Mack & Mabel
Ghost
It's A Bird... It's A Plane... It's Superman
Caroline, or Change
First Date

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#28Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/24/14 at 2:29pm

Oh, I didn't know that. NoName3, thanks for the information.

wonkit
#29Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/24/14 at 4:36pm

Leap of Faith (LA version)

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#30Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/24/14 at 4:40pm

Carrie (Both versions)
Women on the Verge
Big Fish
Scandalous
Side Show (Original)
You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown (Revival)
9 to 5
Reefer Madness
Merrily We Roll Along
Anyone Can Whistle
[title of show]

Alix Profile Photo
Alix
#31Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/24/14 at 4:43pm

Taboo

bfreak
#32Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/24/14 at 4:58pm

Rocky

TheBoyFromNC Profile Photo
TheBoyFromNC
#33Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/24/14 at 5:01pm

Wow, I can't believe I didn't think about [title of show] - it deserved so much better.

And just saying, gleek, but the 2012 Off-Broadway Carrie was a limited engagement. It actually did very well, considering. So only the original version flopped. :)

AEA AGMA SM
#34Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/24/14 at 5:07pm

Parade would not be considered a flop, since it was produced by Lincoln Center. Thus you are looking at an entirely different financial model and thus there were no investors to pay off and no recoupment to speak of.

In terms of shows that I actually saw on Broadway, some of my favorites include:

Side Show
The Wild Party
James Joyce's The Dead
Ragtime
(both productions)

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#35Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/24/14 at 5:52pm

TRIUMPH OF LOVE, a very funny show which would probably have found an audience and a following off-Broadway. A charming and highly varied Stock/Birkenhead score, Susan Egan was fabulous, Betty Buckley and F. Murray Abraham edgy, silly and adorable, Nancy Opel, Roger Bart and Kevin Chamberlin clowned with gusto. All were well served by Michael Mayer's deft direction.

Opened the same week as SIDE SHOW and outclassed it in every respect.

Variety and The New Yorker loved it. And so did I.

Updated On: 11/24/14 at 05:52 PM

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#36Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/24/14 at 11:26pm

I'd confidently put the original Broadway production of Carrie in my list of favorite musicals - the lyrics are a little goofy sometimes but the music behind them is almost entirely exceptional, and it's a huge shame a cast album was never recorded because I'd put it up there with OBCs like Evita and Sweeney Todd as far as production, cast, and energy go.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#37Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/25/14 at 1:17am

Leap Of Faith - LA

Ghost

seeseveryshow2
#38Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/25/14 at 2:53am

So many -

Oh Brother
The Education of Hyman Kaplan
The Happiest Girl in the World
Bravo Giovanni
Do Re Mi
Merrily We Roll Along
Timbuktu
Wildcat
She Loves Me
I Remember Mama
Do I Hear A Waltz
...to name just a few

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#39Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/25/14 at 5:16am

Chaplin

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#40Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/25/14 at 7:25am

Which one?

The one that made it to Broadway or the Anthony Newly one that folded on the road?

Poster Emeritus

Buffalo Bill Profile Photo
Buffalo Bill
#41Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/25/14 at 1:35pm

Smile, Scarlett Pimpernel, La Cage (w/Gary Beach) and dare I say it? 9 to 5.

From President Obama: "Over the years, musicals have been at the forefront of our social consciousness, challenging stereotypes, shaping our opinions about race and religion, death and disease, power and politics."

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#42Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/25/14 at 2:47pm

The recent Chaplin. (I had forgotten there was the previous one.)

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#43Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/25/14 at 3:05pm

"Parade would not be considered a flop, since it was produced by Lincoln Center."

Parade was produced in partnership with Livent, so although it was a non-profit theatre, there was an undisclosed amount of commercial money involved that was lost from the 2-month run of that show.

On another note - I wonder how many of the posts in this thread are based on cast recording alone, with no familiarity with the book of the shows named?

sctrojan65
#44Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/26/14 at 12:06pm

I've seen J/H mentioned a couple of times, including the original. Didn't it run like 1500 performances? Is a show that runs that long considered a flop?

AEA AGMA SM
#45Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/26/14 at 12:16pm

Despite running that long it never managed to pay off its full investment, so, yes, it is considered a flop.

andi1235
#46Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/26/14 at 12:55pm

I was going to say Leap of Faith, too. I only saw the Broadway version, but I'm so happy I did. :)

ChanceWayne2 Profile Photo
ChanceWayne2
#47Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/26/14 at 1:25pm

As a strange child, a few times a year my parents allowed me to pick the shows. "Hello Dolly", "Fiddler...", "Sound of Music"....NO THANK YOU! Instead I was drawn to the flops. Serve me up some "Flora The Red Menace" (the final curtain suddenly came down before the plot line seemed reconciled to the general audience reaction of WTF just happened?), "Bajour" (here Chita was the supposed star of the evening yet Nancy Dussault won the audience over as soon as she made her entrance. General consensus here...More Dussault, Less Rivera!), "Illya Darling" (I didn't pick this one and the only thing that drew the family was our Greek heritage), "Henry Sweet Henry" (Michael Bennett's set changes had a wonderfully cinematic touch to them. Everything just glided on and offstage as if it was choreographed with complimentary lighting giving it all a magical quality). Questionable shows that may have not made a profit qualifying it as a flop yet were among my favorites: "High Spirits" and "Golden Boy". Later on I went on my own to see many more but none were favorites by any means: "Platinum" (favorite line was Alexis Smith referring to Lisa Mordente (Chita's spawn) as "that little pygmie!), "A Broadway Musical" (not one redeeming quality). However I did enjoy both the original and revised production of "Scarlet Pimpernel" and loved the original "Side Show". Saw all of Sondheim's flops but other than "Follies" wouldn't put any of them on either my least or most favorite list.

sctrojan65
#48Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/26/14 at 2:11pm

Okay, AEA. Thanks.

I saw J/H years ago, pre-Broadway, and I remember it being only the music (and the Cuccioli and Eder performances) that kept me there after intermission.

The story itself wasn't my favorite. Obviously I really didn't find any of the characters likable, even the ones who got offed. So it was hard to empathize with any of them or draw any connection.

It may not have made its money back, but it ran long enough that obviously there were those who did like it. Just wasn't my favorite.

Junior Babcock Profile Photo
Junior Babcock
#49Favorite Flop
Posted: 11/26/14 at 5:16pm

A TIME FOR SINGING
PRETTYBELLE
DARLING OF THE DAY
SMILE
MAIL
GREY GARDENS
STEEL PIER