Awkward Side Show interview

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#1Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/29/14 at 10:06pm

I admit Erin Davie has always rubbed me off the wrong way. What is with her attitude? I felt bad for Emily Padgett here:

http://youtu.be/gyuiIpn8b9Y

Emily: I read an article...
Erin: Did I read that?
Emily: I don't think so, I was going to send it to you...
Erin: Oh (sarcastic smile) Tell me about it (b****)
Emily: (Explains)
Erin: (I'm just going to speak over you b****) (In fact, I'm barely going to look at you for the rest of this interview)

Erin: (During auditions) I was already in the show (they were just trying to find someone to match my superb talents. They kept sending people in to sing with me but no one was as gifted) which was an interesting experience...
Emily: I didn't we were going to be touching...
Erin: Oh, I was probably like "I'm just standing here" (you can stand wherever you want, b****)

Emily: We don't do a pre-show thing together
Erin: I kinda like it that way... (b****)

Emily: We are like sisters
Erin: I can't imagine spending more time with you than I already do...

Emily: I like to get to places really early and...she's not
Erin: Yeah... (I'll cut you so bad you'd wish I didn't cut you so bad!)
Emily: There was one time I dragged you up to the stairs LET'S GO! and she's like Don't drag me up the stairs
Erin: Yeah... (Or, you know, I'll cut you...)

Erin: (I will proceed to talk about how hard the show is for me and how empowered I feel when I realize I can show my superb talents. I will also ignore the fact I do this with someone else. I can do it)
Emily: (I'll talk about you XOXOXO) You need to compromise to make this work.
Erin: That's hard for a lot of actors (me) You need to put your ego aside (mine) (someone make me a triple)

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

RagzJr
#2Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/29/14 at 11:18pm

Well, then...

Maybe you set me up to hear it that way, but I DID hear it just that way. It was awkward. So, so awkward. By the end of it, I ended up with a sense that Erin is a diva and Emily is passive-aggressively putting her in her place. Not the most flattering interview for either, in the end. And that's tough, because I do have a soft spot for this show and I want to root for this revival. That interview, unfortunately, did nothing for my interest in the show. If anything, it made me feel more of a disconnect from the heart of it (unless the new direction of this is to highlight sibling dynamics which, in that case, they did fabulously well).

I've been doing my best to see this in a different light, but part of the reason I fell in love with the first incarnation was the relationship between the sisters AND actresses. I remember Alice and Emily's DUETS album. I loved it because they seemed committed (even though it's not the greatest album in terms of production, etc). Erin Davie and Emily Padgett, on the other hand, seem to barely stand each other. It adds a new layer, surely, but not necessarily one that gives extra heart. Perhaps, instead, extra "Reality TV."

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#2Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/29/14 at 11:25pm

Too much time on your hands

Up In One

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#3Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/29/14 at 11:27pm

First of all, in the spirit of full disclosure, I have met Erin Davie several times, and she couldn't be a sweeter, nicer or more genuine person.

Second, it seems to me that your "interpretation" of the interview is indicative of nothing but your own issues, likely issues of insecurity. I don't know of any other reason for you to be so demeaning towards someone you obviously don't know.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#4Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/29/14 at 11:31pm

I agree with blaxx. I'm a fan of Davie's work, but she did come off as awfully arrogant in that interview.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#5Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/29/14 at 11:31pm

Erin is a diva and Emily is passive-aggressively putting her in her place.

KIND OF got that sense as well. Honestly, they do slightly remind of a very vanilla version of Kathie Lee and Hoda, as they mentioned. Similar banter. Anyway, both are very talented ladies, an awkward interview won't change that.

Spil.Berg
#6Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/29/14 at 11:32pm

It was not an interview sigh

AHTC
#7Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/29/14 at 11:39pm

All Erin was doing is stating a fact. She was attached for a long while before Emily Padgett was.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#8Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/30/14 at 12:07am

Either way, someone should tell her to leave the mega-star diva attitude outside the room next time.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

beltingbaritone Profile Photo
beltingbaritone
#9Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/30/14 at 12:15am

I saw this interview before reading this post, and I agree with Blaxx. Though I didn't find Emily to be passive aggressive, I did think that Erin had a bit of a prickly disposition toward her co-star.

Men don't even belt.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#10Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/30/14 at 12:50am

I think a lot of what makes the segment weird is that Erin is approaching this like it's a formal interview (she's generally addressing the interviewer and looking at him/her and not at Emily, especially in the first half; she's sitting up extremely straight and is generally kind of formal and somewhat closed), while Emily is approaching this like they're hanging out (she's addressing a lot of what she's saying directly to Erin and looking at her while Erin looks straight ahead at the interviewer, and in general, Emily's body language and word choices are much more casual). So it seems like they're in two different worlds, because they kind of are. Emily's trying to interact with Erin, and Erin's trying to interact with the interviewer.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#11Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/30/14 at 12:55am

I don't think Erin could rub me off the wrong way. What way could she rub you off that would be better?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#12Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/30/14 at 1:12am

Yeah, that was mega awkward. I have no idea what Davie's personality is like, but she did not come off well there.

FindingNamo
#13Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/30/14 at 1:37am

That's the first clip I have watched out of the all of them that are out there for this revival. I thought it was sweet and I think the people who gave Oprah a chai tea blend should make one for those two gals.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#14Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/30/14 at 1:41am

I totally agree with at it was awkward, and that Erin did come off as a diva, but I think mikem might have the right idea here. It does seem like Erin is treating it like a formal interview. The two actresses were not on the same page when it came to what the interview would be like. It's possible that Erin really hates interviews and finds them to be very nerve-racking, which made her act in a way that isn't really like her.

None of us can ever really claim to know anyone's full story, especially from one interview. She may very well be a diva, but we can't really know for sure based on this. Plus, it's always nice to try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

FindingNamo
#15Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/30/14 at 2:02am

I thought gay guys loved divas?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#16Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/30/14 at 2:32am

I actually didn't get that "diva" attitude at all from the video. I saw this video a week ago and didn't get that vide, and I still don't. I don't think Erin was as sweet as Emily, but I really didn't get diva at all from that. To me it just seems like she has a mellow personality.

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Burke4 Profile Photo
Burke4
#17Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/30/14 at 8:25am

Updated On: 11/30/14 at 08:25 AM

thommg Profile Photo
thommg
#18Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/30/14 at 10:45am

Not awkward. They seem to have become like sisters and they are just like my twin nieces. There is an ebb and flow between them and they have two different personalities. Sorry, don't get the horrible vibe you are attributing to Erin Davie.

throw_away
#19Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/30/14 at 10:59am

So Burke4, what did you work on with Erin?
Updated On: 11/30/14 at 10:59 AM

criostal
#20Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/30/14 at 4:15pm

Welcome to the Grudge Report?

The content of the interview is pretty similar to several the twins have done, none of which have come off anywhere near awkward. The recent interview on NBC New York is a case in point. It could well be editing that made the clip in question seem awkward.

As to whether Erin Davie thought she was the standard bearer for the role when Emily Padgett auditioned, refer to a previous interview she did on the subject. Her own words between 5:00 and 10:00 are a better representation of her thoughts than those of someone who admittedly has an axe to grind and seems to take a lot of creative license in their interpretation.

http://www.theaterppl.com/davie111714.html

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#21Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/30/14 at 5:53pm

Sorry Erin! You're an angel of the Lord.

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#22Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/30/14 at 5:57pm

It felt to me like they were't friends and didn't know each other. When I watched an interview with Emily Skinner and Alice Ripley they seemed to be really close friends and I just don't see any chemistry between these two in this interview. Maybe I'll see more chemistry when I finally get to see the show next month!

Mattbrain
#23Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 11/30/14 at 6:36pm

As far as I'm concerned, this is just another case of looking for trouble where none exists.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#24Awkward Side Show interview
Posted: 12/1/14 at 6:56am

Idina - Kristin Lite.

Can you imagine the behavior of two men working together being so parsed for evidence of "attitude"? Two women, working hard, with magnets to hold them together, singing full throttle inches from one another for 2 and a half hours, with 16 costume changes. It's a tough show, it's been discussed thus. Maybe, just maybe, they are successful because they are disciplined, professional co-workers, not soulmates, BFFs, or some male idea of ultimate female empowerment. It's a musical, they are actors. Anything else is none of our business.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Videos