pixeltracker

ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews - Page 4

ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#75ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 3:42pm

ANDY KARL has been tweeting out all his (rave) reviews... And with the Drama League chat tonight ... Is he campaigning? Could he win?

---
I think he will and should be nominated.
He's sexy, charming and has the comedic timing...overall, giving a great stand out performance!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#76ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 3:44pm

Wow, the Times review is really a love-letter to Chenoweth. Very cool.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#77ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 3:53pm

I agree, Besty. It's so awesome to read that kind of reviews for one of the few real Broadway stars of her generation. I saw Chenoweth the first time I visited New York as an adult (THE APPLE TREE was my third Broadway show ever) and was wowed by her presence and genuine talent. Glad she is back on Broadway in a role that shows people why she is indeed a true star. Bravo.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#78ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/16/15 at 8:32pm

Bought tickets for the matinee on June 17th! :)

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#79ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 1:06am

Big congrats to everyone involved with ON THE 20TH CENTURY, from the clips it looks like they deserved the positive notices.

It's going to be either this, THE KING AND I or ON THE TOWN that will steal the trophy for Best Musical Revival.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#80ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 2:06am

Geez, Chita Rivera already has two Tonys for best actress, a Kennedy Center Honors, and the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Isn't that enough?

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#81ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 8:18am

^Well, let's see:

Kristin Chenoweth-A previous winner for Featured Actress in a Musical for You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown. She obviously wasn't as well known as she is now. She then got her second nomination for Wicked, her first as a Leading Actress, but lost to her co-star. She then did The Apple Tree where she officially started putting herself in the spotlight, got rave reviews, but no awards. But then she was infamously miscast in Promises, Promises...and now just got the best reviews she's had on Broadway in years!

Kelli O'Hara-She's been nominated five times before, but never won. Could she finally break the Susan Lucci curse as successfully as Julianne Moore did at the Oscars this year?

Chita Rivera-Yes, she's already won twice before for two other dark Kander & Ebb musicals (The Rink and Kiss of the Spider Woman), but this is being billed as her final appearance on Broadway, so there might be a little more sympathy towards her. Updated On: 3/17/15 at 08:18 AM

Mr Smith
#82ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 8:48am

I am not saying a featured Tony is not worth anything. But she got it for a work very few people even know exists. If you ask the majority of her lovers they would say Wicked I am sure.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#83ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 9:27am

Could someone help me? I came here to read the reviews and comments about the reviews for On the Twentieth Century. But this thread seems to be about Tony awards predictions and past Tony Award comments.

Could someone direct me to the thread about On the Twentieth Century reviews?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#84ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 10:05am

Page one of this thread has most of the reviews.

Brantley is about halfway down page 2.

....but the world goes 'round

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#85ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 12:12pm

Wait, so is Peter Gallagher officially back in the show? Or did he just kinda push through for a few performances so the critics could see him, and then continue recovering?

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#86ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 12:15pm

There's been a lot of reviews posted. Feel free to talk about them rather than complain about a pretty organic thread drift. You, as a poster, have the power to direct a thread where you want it to go.

indytallguy
#87ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 12:16pm

Isn't that what the commment from Patash is trying to do? Redirect the thread a bit?

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#88ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 12:25pm

Well, by adding what exactly to the conversation? It's one thing to say you want to talk about reviews, but if you're not going to add anything substantive to that conversation and give people a talking point, then why do you expect other people to do it for you?

Updated On: 3/17/15 at 12:25 PM

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#89ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 12:37pm

If someone is looking for reviews, I recommend BWW's own Review Roundup column for 20th Century. There is a quote from each reviewer and you can then drill down on a link to the entire review.

Right now there are 18 reviews up there.

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#90ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 2:25pm

As far as a possible extension would work with Kristin's schedule... I know she's planning a tour in the fall/winter (a few concerts with symphonies around the country are already announced, but there are more to come), but I *think* her schedule would allow a 1-2 months extension.
Also, I had asked Rounabout that way way way before they opened because I bought a ticket for closing night, and they even then told me they consider the possibility because pre-sale was already doing exceptionally well.
So I think there is quite a good chance, especially after these reviews and hopefully a bunch of Tony nominations. Even if Peter Gallager had to leave, I think that role wouldn't be too hard to recast, and sales didn't drop dramatically when he was out sick during previews.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#91ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 2:48pm

I'm thrilled for the great reviews; OtTC is the reason I planned my trip to NYC in May, so I was gonna feel like a fool if it was a disastrous revival. Speaking of if Peter Gallagher had to leave, did anyone mention Marc Kudisch as a replacement? I probably read that somewhere but I think (especially with his and Kristin's history) it would be terrific casting. Him or Brian Stokes Mitchell.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#92ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 4:22pm

If this show is as physically and vocally demanding as all seem to say, including Kristin, I don't think that we should expect more of her than finishing the scheduled run.

Can you imagine the disappointment of all her fans who scheduled trips to New York in June and July to see this show if she had to leave the show early.

Ironically, she was injured on a television set.

Updated On: 3/17/15 at 04:22 PM

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#93ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 4:28pm

"Speaking of if Peter Gallagher had to leave, did anyone mention Marc Kudisch as a replacement?"

He's in HAND TO GOD.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#94ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 4:29pm

I heard from an industry source that they may extend to the end of July with the possibility till end of summer...I guess based on nominations.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

pugsandcoffee Profile Photo
pugsandcoffee
#95ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 4:41pm

Can't wait to see this, but really more based on my enjoyment of the original cast album than anything else. I'm not at all surprised Brantley went all-in on his Chenoweth praise; that's been a hallmark of his since her Broadway debut, it seems!

ebontoyan
#96ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 5:02pm

I hope the show gets extended thru end of summer!!! I saw in previews in Feb, I have tix for May and I will come back to see the show in July/Aug if extended! And I live in Iowa lol Love the show and its amazing cast especially Kristin, Andy Ksrl and the tap dancing porters!!

Updated On: 3/17/15 at 05:02 PM

chanel
#97ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/23/15 at 11:56am

Another rave. (Scroll down.)

Also raves for Heidi Chronicles and for Tony Yazbeck at 54 Below.

http://www.out.com/michael-musto/2015/3/23/dating-closet-case-how-do-you-handle-also-every-hot-hustler-one-room

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#98ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 3/24/15 at 8:54am

I thought this was an excellent production of an ok musical, the story is thin even by musical theatre comedy standards and for me it did drag at times, and at others it was comedy gold. So a bit uneven

However I went in disliking Kristen (based on tv and movies)but in this she shines and she fits the role like a glove. Her live on stage is a completely different experience. It really is a powerhouse performance that deserves the Tony.

Also loved andy karl, great and diverse actor

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#99ON THE 20th CENTURY Reviews
Posted: 4/4/15 at 5:18pm

Saw the show last night-- it was lovely! Hadn't been the hugest Chenofan before, but girl was at the top of her game. "Never" was the song that put her in the stratosphere and truly stopped the show cold. Haven't seen that in a season or two-- just magical.

One of the best sets David Rockwell has come up with in a long time too (and this said from a fan of Robin Wagner's original design). Perfect costumes from William Ivey Long-- of course. We forgot how much fun seeing the whole cast come out in white for the finale can be.

And yes, the second most MVP folks on that stage were the beloved tap-dancing porters. We were grinning ear to ear at their every appearance. Closest feeling to what we felt at the end of the beloved On The Town revival. Well done, all.