pixeltracker

Digital Lotteries...the new thing?- Page 2

Digital Lotteries...the new thing?

hopefulundertone
#25Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/26/15 at 9:33pm

Because I live a few hours outside the city I infinitely prefer rush to lottery because i can't afford (with time not money) a lottery, even a digital one. That being said, I'd rather have a digital lottery than an in person one, it's definitely more accessible and I think that's a good thing, for others. I just hope that shows continue to offer rush instead of/in addition to lottery.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#26Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/26/15 at 10:06pm

add Fun Home to the list of shows using digital lotteries

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#27Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/26/15 at 10:06pm

I get the concept from a marketing perspective, but what bothers me is the potentiality of unpurchased tickets from the lottery allocation. I'm sure there are plenty of people who've entered the Shakespeare in the Park lotto on a whim and then didn't retrieve the tickets they won. Granted with Shakespeare in the Park those tickets just get released to the standby line and others can get in, so that works out. There is now a possibility though for patrons to win the lottery, not claim their tickets, and then those tickets end up back into the general ticket inventory at face value.

On the flip side of this though, there was a feature of the Something Rotten digital lottery today that I did like. I didn't win the lottery, but was informed that there were lottery loser seats available for purchase at the Box Office for $49 or via Telecharge ($49 plus fees obviously). It was nice to know that I could still get in relatively cheaply if I wanted and was able to look at all of the locations that were available at the lottery loser price with Telecharge's SYOS system.

No system is going to be perfect.

Julie Yard
#28Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/26/15 at 10:23pm

The MET Opera converted to a digital lottery for all their tix and my friend who was going 4 & 5 times a week pre-digital(she had a posse of friends to wait & share with) has barely gone in the last year or two... the pool of entries must be enormous. That said, I thought making people sit around for hours was cruel, and rejoiced when SITP went to a digital lottery... especially when I won for Hair. But that was such a good show I spent a whole day on a standby line and got to see it a 2nd time.

Dolittle

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#29Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/26/15 at 10:41pm

Frogs, that's great to know re: Something Rotten!

Not sure about on tour, but on Broadway, Mormon's twitter lottery is interesting in that if you win, you have to pick up the tickets at the O'Neill by 4 p.m. So they'd know by the time they do the in-person lotto what's left, though I don't think they usually have an overlap of seats allocated to both twitter lotto and in-person lotto. (A friend won twitter lotto on Broadway and they gave her tickets front row center once, though, which is an in-person lottery seat, usually.)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#30Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/26/15 at 11:40pm

The Met abandoned their digital lottery system very quickly this season. Now all of the rush tickets are available online on a first come first served basis each day.

Updated On: 3/26/15 at 11:40 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#31Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 10:33am

I love this idea. Rush and lottery crowds are annoying and make it hard for the box office staff to do their job. Praise Jesus if this becomes a reality for all shows. Especially with popular shows with rabid fans who are there everyday and irritating as ****, I really love this idea.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Falling
#32Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 10:36am

bettyboy-I'm with you. It's also more cost effective for the producers since they don't have to pay someone to draw the lotto in person. (I didn't know that On the Town only offered one pair a day, although I knew Hamilton did. That seems odd.)

I think this is the wave of the future. Bring it on! (I will say the Met's new system is very nice, too.)

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#33Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 10:40am

The downside to digital lottery rather than in-person, in terms of business, is that I imagine there will be less people who have lost deciding, "What the heck, I'm here anyway, I guess I can shell out $30 more and buy a ticket."

Something Rotten appears to be offering a discount code for that night's performance to its lottery losers, though, so producers are clearly trying to go after that angle. But as far as I know, they're the only digital lottery to do that right now.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 3/27/15 at 10:40 AM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#34Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 10:58am

Also, I wonder if you could add in features where if you have say, won the lottery more than 10 times you are locked out or your name is dropped out. I mean there was nothing worse than losing lotteries to people who had seen the show 40 times.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Falling
#35Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 11:12am

I'm guessing that as far as the virtual lotto goes, you probably are very limited as to how many times you win on the virtual one (and since theoretically a lot more people can enter, I'd imagine the chances of someone doing that are statistically near impossible).

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#36Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 11:18am

For the Fun Home lotto, they repeatedly say the word winnerS, plural. That must mean they sell more than 2 tickets, right?

Falling
#37Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 11:22am

I'd imagine so, but don't know. (On the other board someone said they only do a pair for On the Town, which I found hard to believe. They state bluntly for Hamilton that it's a single pair. I thought On the Town probably had more than one winner, but I don't know.)

Traci Profile Photo
Traci
#38Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 12:37pm

There is no way On The Town only offers a single pair of tickets per performance for their lottery considering I've won all three times I've played.

~Avatar: Alan ming~

~Official Member of GFU~
~Member of C...FU, whose official color is cat blue, which is quite different than royal blue!~
~Because no one puts Mary in their signature~

~"OMG I Peed!" -Anthony Rapp (His reaction to the 'Everybody Has AIDS' song from Team America

JamesBroadwayWiner Profile Photo
JamesBroadwayWiner
#39Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 3:01pm

I like the idea. I dont think that there is anything particularly special about doing the lottery in person. The times I have tried, it has always been so stressful and nerve-racking. It's great that you dont have to leave home and waste 1/2 hour of your day to not win tickets.

"Brevity is the soul of wit"--Hamlet

neonlightsxo
#40Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 3:03pm

"They state bluntly for Hamilton that it's a single pair. I thought On the Town probably had more than one winner, but I don't know.)"

Pretty sure On the Town has multiple winners.

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#41Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 3:16pm

I'm pretty sure all the shows with digital lotteries other than Hamilton have multiple pairs. Hamilton seems more like the exception.

ThatMezzoGirl
#42Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 5:24pm

Oh yeah I'm sure there are multiple winners for on the town - I've won twice and only really entered a few times. My god I would kill to win the Hamilton lottery though lol. Wish that had multiple winners.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#43Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 7:00pm

I believe ON THE TOWN has a minimum of twenty tickets. The digital Hamilton lottery only has one winner because it's a promotional move on the part of TodayTix. The Public has a separate, in-person lottery.

KathyNYC2
#44Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 7:42pm

On a freezing cold rainy day, yes I can imagine that the digital lotteries make more sense.

But I don't know..there is something to be said for being there in the group. I have met some nice people at the the lottery and rush lines. I am lucky = I live close by...it's not a huge deal if I don't win.

And especially for someone like me who often goes by myself when I find I have the time, you can up your chances to win in person. When am doing the lottery, I ALWAYS look for another person who is also looking for one ticket - and ask if he/she will be a lottery "buddy". Even though I want one ticket, I put down two - as does the other person - so we double our chances of winning. You can't do that digitally.

PiraguaGuy2
#45Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/28/15 at 1:11am

I have mixed feelings about this, and I guess it really comes down to how you view rushes/lotteries philosophically. Rushes seem more oriented towards rewarding dedicated fans, students, and others who may not be able to see the show at full price but can "pay" with their time and effort. Lotteries are a little dicier since they require much less of the aforementioned commitment. They draw a bigger crowd and thus more attention to the show, and as other posters have noted, incite even losers to buy tickets. Shows like Matilda and Aladdin have switched to lottery systems when they became such hot tickets that their rush lines were uncontrollably chaotic. Similarly, flops from Annie to The Last Ship have confidently opened with lotteries only to draw smaller and smaller crowds (a little embarrassing).

I'm inclined to believe that these sorts of cheap ticket options should reward dedicated and committed theatregoers first and foremost, exchanging the fiscal cost of a ticket for the cost of waiting in line. I understand as well why shows switch to lotteries. But the digital lottery trend is a bit troubling, as it takes any commitment or effort out of the equation, diluting the entry pool and making it MUCH harder for ANYONE to win. This may sound like snobbery, but it does bother me that digital lotteries (when they replace rush completely) deprive dedicated fans and younger theatregoers of the chance they once had to see a show.

I'm not entitled enough to believe that any producer is REQUIRED to provide a rush, a lottery, or even a digital lottery to allow for cheap tickets - however, it seems fair that any show with a digital lottery ALSO include a rush option as well, allowing for both sets of potential theatregoers to have their shot.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#46Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/28/15 at 1:33am

As much as agree with you PiraguaGuy, I really don't think the producers of a show care all that much about rewarding people for dedication.

de_lovely Profile Photo
de_lovely
#47Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/28/15 at 1:44am

In case anyone cares, I won the Gigi digital lottery for this evening. The tickets were front mezzanine, second row center. Excellent seats, and a nice surprise!

PiraguaGuy2
#48Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/28/15 at 2:00am

Definitely, JBroadway - obviously producers will do whatever they want (and it seems to be migrating towards digital lotteries.) It is worth mentioning, however, that the very first ticket promotion of this type was RENT's $20 rush, which rewarded superfans who would line up all night for it. It's interesting to note how the philosophy behind rushes and lotteries has evolved over time.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#49Digital Lotteries...the new thing?
Posted: 3/28/15 at 2:02am

I had never thought of it that way before, PiraguaGuy2, but I agree. Those most in need of the discounts will be the ones most willing to make the extra effort.