pixeltracker

Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording "First Listen"- Page 5

Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording "First Listen"

karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
#100Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 5:25pm

Wondering if anyone has actually tried to write down what Lafayette says in his first couple of lines at the beginning of "Guns & Ships"? He's going so fast I can't catch it all. I have "old" ears Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording  

The music for that section is just incredible. I keep trying to explain to people why I say this show is "thrilling" and that's one reason. One among many!

Maggie-the-schnoodle

ardiem
#101Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 6:21pm

I'm really uncertain about the "I'll round them up" line, but my best guess is:

(Lafayette!)

I'm taking this horse by the reigns
Making red coats redder with blood stains
(Lafayette!)
Well, I'm never gonna stop
Until I make them drop 
I'll round them up and scatter the remains, I'm
(Lafayette!)
Watch me engaging 'em
Escaping 'em
Enraging 'em, oh!
(Lafayette!)
I go to France for more funds
(Lafayette!)
I come back with more guns

Updated On: 9/23/15 at 06:21 PM

peacelovemagic1 Profile Photo
peacelovemagic1
#102Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 6:26pm

This has been my best guess so far, after about 10 close listens: 

I'm taking this horse by the reins making redcoats redder with blood stains

And I'm never gonna stop until I make a (?) to the top of the remains (I don't think this is right, this one is so fast!) 

Watch me again until I'm escaping and I'm enraged and I'm out 

Better get the Francs from our sons 

Better come back with more guns and ships

and so the balance shifts 

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#103Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 8:14pm

During "Wait for It" there's bird chirps in the background and I keep checking my phone because they sound exactly like the notifications on my phone >.< I thought I was hearing things haha

karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
#104Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 8:20pm

Thanks ardiem and peacelovemagic1, I'll go back and listen again with these in mind!

Maggie-the-schnoodle

pinoyidol2006 Profile Photo
pinoyidol2006
#105Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 8:41pm

** MY QUIBBLES **

In "Burn", the lyric "Let future historians wonder how Eliza reacted..." took me out of the moment a bit. It seems out of place. It feels like Lin is taking a big arrow and pointing at the song saying "This part is fictional".

In "It's Quiet Uptown", after Eliza takes Hamilton's hand, the ensemble goes "... Forgiveness". My immediate thought was "Why are they singing the subtext?"

** END QUIBBLES **

Other than those two, I loved the score. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. The way "Satisfied" flashes back to the scene immediate preceding it was so genius. Work it, Angelica.

I like your imperturbable perspicacity.

Brick
#106Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 9:04pm

pinoyidol2006 said: "** MY QUIBBLES **

In "Burn", the lyric "Let future historians wonder how Eliza reacted..." took me out of the moment a bit. It seems out of place. It feels like Lin is taking a big arrow and pointing at the song saying "This part is fictional".

Actually, I thought Lin's choice here was very clever. I've heard historian say often when a significant moment of history is extremely unclear - as you might say Eliza's reaction not being known following such a public display or personal betrayal - it can be considered to be intentional. And so Lin's choice to empower Eliza with the decision not allow her reaction to be known strikes me as indeed quite clever, as well as making the women of the piece more active than they're often credited to be in history, while noting perhaps that's also by choice here.

"

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#107Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 9:33pm

VotePeron said: "I'm very interested in seeing this live now that I've heard the recording. There is no doubt that this is incredible material - my only problem is I'm having a hard time finding it entertaining. It's just a lot of facts facts facts facts and I cant imagine myself listening to this constanty.."

VotePeron, you will be amazed at how entertaining it is to watch. The choreography alone would leave you spellbound, to say nothing of the performances. But to me the best part is the energy that leaps off the stage. 

pinoyidol2006 Profile Photo
pinoyidol2006
#108Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 10:08pm

Brick said: "

And so Lin's choice to empower Eliza with the decision not allow her reaction to be known strikes me as indeed quite clever, as well as making the women of the piece more active than they're often credited to be in history, while noting perhaps that's also by choice here.

Amen. I loved that whole song, but the bit about the historians was the only thing that stood out to me.

"

"

I like your imperturbable perspicacity.

FBay
#109Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/22/15 at 11:08pm

I really should buy this album

ChiTheaterFan
#110Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/23/15 at 1:01am

JoseLee_ said: "During "Wait for It" there's bird chirps in the background and I keep checking my phone because they sound exactly like the notifications on my phone >.< I thought I was hearing things haha"

This is the only thing that kind of bugged me in the whole recording. This is my favorite song and I never noticed the chirps during the show. They stick out to me in the recording. I still LOVE that song but I could live without those. Not sure what purpose they serve. 

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#111Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/23/15 at 7:23am

I haven't listened to the whole thing yet because I've been busy at work and getting home late every night. But as of now I'm not in love with the sound. It's very different from how I remember the show. This recording seems to me too percussive and, I don't know how to describe it, the sound is not "warm." It seems overly bright, as if the treble is up too high. I'm hoping that after I download and listen to the actual files on Friday, I can adjust the sound to my liking with the iTunes equalizer. I'm sorry if this seems inarticulate. I guess I'm not used to describing audio. 

Updated On: 9/23/15 at 07:23 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#112Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/23/15 at 7:42am

karen24 said: "Wondering if anyone has actually tried to write down what Lafayette says in his first couple of lines at the beginning of "Guns & Ships"? He's going so fast I can't catch it all. I have "old" ears "

All the lyrics will be in the booklet, so you can sort this out on Friday easily.

FindingNamo
#113Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/23/15 at 9:34am

Mac, I feel that way about most cast recordings and was delighted to find this one sounding warm and full to me.  Maybe it's what you're listening on?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
#114Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/23/15 at 11:05am

Just sold my Orgazmatron. I have no need of it, now.

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#115Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/23/15 at 11:21am

Groff sounds fantastic. He was definitely one of the highlights for me when I saw the show. 

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#116Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/23/15 at 11:48am

Started listening to it yesterday.  Loved it.  Been anxiously waiting for it since I saw the show in July.  Have tickets again in December.  I am sure I will have it memorized by then. 

Not to be confused with Dave19.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#117Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/23/15 at 12:46pm

In addition to the clearly heartbreaking songs in this show, I find the My Shot/Story of Tonight sequence to be emotionally stirring. For me, it's the idea of our founding fathers as young men, excited and invigorated by revolution and willing to die to achieve independence. I often picture them as we see in later portraits with white hair and older. Seeing them as gung-ho crusaders is pretty amazing. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Sorry-Grateful Profile Photo
Sorry-Grateful
#118Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/23/15 at 2:50pm

dissimilate said: "For those of you who torrent and can’t wait til Friday:"

Come on, get that nonsense out of here. Torrents are ethically dubious at best, stealing at worst, and Lin has generously put the stream of the album up on NPR right now FOR FREE! 

TodayTix Code: XGAXA

dissimilate
#119Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/23/15 at 3:06pm

The torrent is exactly what’s on NPR right now.

I won’t dispute your point though. I do think they’re ethically dubious (I struggled with myself briefly before posting), and I’ve already preordered my copy of Hamilton. Still, I’m appreciating getting to listen to this offline these few days. And you can bet that once Friday comes, high quality versions are going to be floating everywhere. Sadly, these days, supporting art is about paying for something even though you can get it free because it’s the right thing to do.

But if everyone agrees that this is a terrible, terrible idea, I’ll remove the link. Apologies in advance.

BOM  Profile Photo
BOM
#120Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/23/15 at 7:51pm

Thanks for the link to the torrent. I downloaded it just so I could have it on my phone. Still got it pre ordered.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#121Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/23/15 at 10:32pm

I'm sure this has probably detailed in one of the articles about the show, but does anyone know if the little musical moment in The Room Where it Happens- the one that starts the song- is from anything? I swear it sounds so familiar, but I can't place it. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#122Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/24/15 at 5:59am

It's a great recording. Not just because the material is great, which of course it is, but because it sounds great technically.

I'm sure that my favorite song will change several times as I play it more and more, but "The Room Where it Happens" has to be an early contender for Song of the Season.

There isn't one of the 45 tracks that I don't like.

(And even my favorite scores usually have at least one song I don't care for)

Someone mentioned how great Groff sounds and I have to agree. He's never sounded better.

Daveed Diggs - just give him the supporting Tony right now. (Even over Leslie Odom, assuming he's considered supporting)

Phillipa Soo and Renee Goldsberry also sound beautiful.

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 9/24/15 at 05:59 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#123Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/24/15 at 7:04am

Well.....I'm not sure if he deserves over Odom, but I do love his performance. (And I'm hoping Odom goes in as leading.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#124Lin shared complete Hamilton Recording
Posted: 9/24/15 at 7:08am

Taz - agree with every word you wrote.

Also hope Odom is nominated as Lead.  Daveed Diggs as Supporting.  And they both win.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."