School of Rock Previews

KathyNYC2
#25School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/10/15 at 1:10am

I had a great time...the kids are wonderfully talented and original.. They were completely spot on...one more charming than the next.  And a good many making their Broadway debut - one of the girls burst into tears when the audience gave them a standing ovation.

Alex B is fabulous..and I can't even imagine how he can do this 8 times a week - let alone twice in one day (he was sweating within the first 10 minutes).

^^^ I don't think the point of this is that rock and roll is more important than the basics..and you have to be a loser with no teaching credentials to reach kids. But it is saying that being passionate about something is a good way to get kids involved.

Yes needs some fixing up as noted above but basically for a first preview, well done.

Updated On: 11/10/15 at 01:10 AM

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#26School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/10/15 at 1:43am

2 questions

1. Is the stage high for this?

2. In the orchestra, what is the first row of the center section?

Updated On: 11/10/15 at 01:43 AM

billyelliotfan123
#27School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/10/15 at 2:19am

Is there a lot of partial view because of the set?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#28School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/10/15 at 2:27am

After Eight said: "The poor audience is subjected to a lead character who's a hyperkinetic, obnoxious, slovenly loser with about one 65th the intelligence of the ten-year-olds he teaches. Forgoing such tired fare as reading, spelling, and geography, he decides to instruct them on the history of rock. Considering what the "educational" canon embraces nowadays, I guess this makes the show highly contemporary."

In all fairness, that is exactly the plot of the movie they are adapting. So, I guess they were successful!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#29School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/10/15 at 6:22am

Glad to hear positive things. 

I really enjoyed the the show at the Gramercy this summer and I'm excited to see the full-fledged production. It's a lot of fun. 

Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
#30School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/10/15 at 9:44am

This sounds ab fab, Can't wait for it in London. 

Alex Brightman - didn't know there'd been a love child, and not just a 'phantom' pregnancy...

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?

BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
#31School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/10/15 at 11:47am

Saw the first preview. Despite some flaws this show is going to be a hit!

The Good/Great:

Alex Brightman is a star. He commands that stage. Those kids are also the star. The show is really all about them and it's fantastic.

The "meh":

Sierra Boggess is sort of toothless and doesn't nail her song in act two (is she sick?) Feels like a weird place in her voice. Not bad just, again, very meh.

But overall GREAT show. I think the Winter Garden has found a hit!

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#32School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/10/15 at 11:51am

I'm sorry to be a bummer, but I have to agree with After Eight on this one. Yes, the kids are very talented (I mean...WOW) but once you get beyond that, there's absolutely no substance. You're left with a cookie-cutter, lackluster show. I didn't find any artistry or...heart, maybe? I don't know. I found the score and the acting quite bland. The movie was so fun - it had a pulse, whereas this feels like a faded carbon copy of the original.

At some point I felt like Sir Lloyd Webber & Co. were simply trying to capitalize on the Billy Elliot / Matilda fad of having cute talented kids lead a show (I didn't enjoy those shows either - I actually strongly disliked them, so...take this all in with that knowledge). I can't blame them for that as this is theater for profit. I'm sure this will do well but it's still not my cup of tea.

To each their own!

nasty_khakis
#33School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/10/15 at 12:16pm

How big was the lottery before the show?

KathyNYC2
#34School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/10/15 at 12:35pm

There was a BIG crowd of people outside the theater for Lottery for 24 seats...lots of people lost...However, I was shocked that my party of three people each had their name called...so we actually won seats we didn't need and turned them back.

But they did offer a number of lottery loser seats for $39 I think (though they didn't say how many).

It might be different later on..first preview gets a lot of attention.

BroadwayBen
#35School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/10/15 at 2:15pm

Well this mostly reads promising…I can't wait to see it. 

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#36School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/10/15 at 2:45pm

Does anyone have a song list? I am so looking forward to seeing this show, especially after Whizzer's review.

HGorn Profile Photo
HGorn
#37School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/10/15 at 2:53pm

I loved the movie.  Seeing the show on Thursday night.  I'm not expecting to see Jack Black up there - but I'm hoping that Brightman is a close second.

getatme
#38School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/10/15 at 3:18pm

Song List

Act 1:

"I'm Too Hot for You" - No Vacancy and Dewey

"When I Climb to the Top of Mount Rock" - Dewey

"Horace Green Alma Mater" - Rosalie, Students, and Teachers

"Here at Horace Green" - Rosalie

"Children of Rock" - Dewey and Ned

"Give Up Your Dreams" - Patty (NOT performed last night)

"Queen of the Night" - Rosalie, Dewey, and Gabe

"You're in the Band" - Dewey and Students

"You're in the Band (Reprise)" - Dewey and Students

"If Only You Would Listen" - Students

"In the End of Time" - Dewey

"Faculty Quadrille" - Teachers

"In the End of Time" (Band Practice) - Dewey and Students

"Stick It to the Man" - Dewey and Students

"In the End of Time" (The Audition) - Dewey and Students

"Stick It to the Man (Reprise)" - Dewey and Students

Act 2

"Time to Play" - Summer and Students

"Amazing Grace" - Tomika

"Math is a Wonderful Thing" - Dewey and Students

"Where did the Rock Go?" - Rosalie

"School of Rock" - Dewey and Students (This is actually the song "Teacher's Pet" from the movie)

"Dewey's Confession" - Dewey, Rosalie, Patty, Ned, and Parents

"Where did the Rock Go? (Reprise)" - Dewey

"If Only You Would Listen (Reprise)" - Students

"I'm Too Hot for You (Reprise)" - No Vacancy

"School of Rock" - Dewey and Students (Also "Teacher's Pet"School of Rock Previews

"Stick It to the Man" - Dewey and Students

JM226
#39School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/10/15 at 4:17pm

I was also at the first preview. Good show, great production, amazing cast. Not a big fan of Brightman's take on the role but still two thumbs up!!

KCW Profile Photo
KCW
#40School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/10/15 at 6:05pm

You read the first paragraph of AfterEight's review and you imeadatly know who it is. That being said, if the musical is anything like the movie, then he may be correct. The movie brought a few chuckles but not much plot. These days it is refreshing to see shows that focus more on plot than jokes, production values just to impress and catchy songs that just leave you humming. Whizzer wanted to hear a reprise-but that would most likely comprise the plot. 

Re shows not doing well because of a hit: in theory makes sense, but most people will see multiple shows on a trip if tourists, so over all helps all.

I appoligise for any spelling mistakes. I may be on my mobile. Clumsy fingers and small little touchscreen keys don't mixx. I try to spellcheck, but I may miss something.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#41School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/10/15 at 11:29pm

OK I love ALW and have enjoyed listening to the soundtrack of School of Rock so far - but... is it just me or does anyone else get nervous hearing the lyrics of the kids in "If Only You Would Listen"

"One day you're going to listen"

"I'm going to make you listen"
um... did anyone check these kids backpacks?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#42School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/10/15 at 11:35pm

Nothing about that song had the conspiracy theory tone you are ascribing to it when I saw the concert version this summer...

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#43School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 9:59am

Does anybody know if they're selling window cards at the theater yet?

KRaser1
#44School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 11:50am

Any thoughts on the staging or the sets for this show. I know the WG is known for their ability to house "BIG" productions. Curious if they use that space for the production. 

HGorn Profile Photo
HGorn
#45School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/12/15 at 9:59am

Anyone know the running time?  Website says 2 hrs 15 minutes.  Is that accurate?  Seems short.

OldPosterNewName
#46School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/12/15 at 10:45pm

Just got back from tonight's show. The show was very good. Not particularly clever but very enjoyable. The music was memorable and hummable. The show really shines when it focuses on the kids. Alex Brightman is really wonderful and funny. Sierra Boggess is so miscast (and doesn't hit her big Act 2 song notes well.) A real ingenue in a character actresses role. But the track is not that important so it really doesn't matter. 

Overall a really enjoyable night at the theater. And everyone around me enjoyed it too.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#47School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/12/15 at 11:07pm

After Eight said: " (Didn't a poster here inform us that he took a college course on comic books?)"

Thanks for the shout out, Eighty!  ANd as you'll recall among the reading for the course was your favourite, Fun Home!

Nice to read some strong reviews of this!

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#48School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/12/15 at 11:18pm

I echo the sentiment here that Sierra Boggess is woefully miscast on a variety of levels. From what I understand, the entire re-conception of the character was done by Andrew Lloyd Webber specifically with her in mind, which may explain the misguided logic at play.

Rosalie starting the show as a soprano ingenue to evoke the sophistication of the prep school world isn't a terrible idea, but it only works if there's a successful pay off when she transforms later on. Unfortunately, the moment the character is supposed to "break out" falls embarrassingly flat given the rock style required is nowhere in Boggess's repertoire, nor is she a particularly gifted comedienne. She also feels bizarrely young to play a woman who's supposed to be both an authority figure and someone with a repressed past.

The material worked far better in the workshop over the summer in the hands of Sara Chase, who's a dynamite character actress with the soprano notes to pull off both sides of the spectrum. It's funny- Chase is actually a year younger than Boggess but has a maturity about her that felt far more authentic to me. It's a shame she didn't continue on with the show to Broadway because Boggess is the lone dark spot in an otherwise stellar production.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 11/12/15 at 11:18 PM

KathyNYC2
#49School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 12:17am

Yes I didn't really care for her either though I thought she did a good job as the original buttoned up headmistress.

But her change is really nonexistent and her big song does not do her any favors. I don't know how the character was changed for her - being I hadn't seen it before but she was definitely the weakest part of the show.