pixeltracker

Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY- Page 32

Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#775Hello, Dolly
Posted: 10/20/16 at 4:32pm

hork said" No, we don't need diversity every time. We didn't need it in Gentleman's Guide, which specifically poked fun at the English aristocracy, and for which a diverse cast wouldn't have made sense."

Race isn't one of the themes explored in Gentleman's Guide. It would've still made prefect sense with a diverse cast. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#776Hello, Dolly
Posted: 10/20/16 at 7:57pm

The Bette Midler category on Jeopardy tonight was a complete fail.  One contestant guessed "Fiddler on the Roof" for the show she is returning to Broadway in.  And another contestant guessed "Wicked" as the movie she played a witch in.  Oy!

hork Profile Photo
hork
#777Hello, Dolly
Posted: 10/21/16 at 11:10am

Cupid Boy2 said: "hork said" No, we don't need diversity every time. We didn't need it in Gentleman's Guide, which specifically poked fun at the English aristocracy, and for which a diverse cast wouldn't have made sense."

Race isn't one of the themes explored in Gentleman's Guide. It would've still made prefect sense with a diverse cast. 

It might have made sense but it would have been a different show.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#778Hello, Dolly
Posted: 10/21/16 at 11:11am

It wouldn't be different at all. 

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#779Hello, Dolly
Posted: 10/21/16 at 11:37am

hork said: "It might have made sense but it would have been a different show."

If you're implying it would've been a lesser show, I disagree. Regardless of the cast members' skin colors, it would have still been a delightful and riotous parody of the class system. Can't we move beyond the point of getting so hung up on the race of characters aligning with "historical accuracy?" When not exploring themes that would prevent it, wouldn't it be much more interesting to create art that imagines what history would've been like had it been more inclusive or reflective of who we are today? 

Updated On: 10/21/16 at 11:37 AM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#780Hello, Dolly
Posted: 10/21/16 at 11:52am

hork said: "It might have made sense but it would have been a different show."

You're talking about a show where one actor played nine characters (including two women) and it would've made a difference if there was a nonwhite actor in the show?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

hork Profile Photo
hork
#781Hello, Dolly
Posted: 10/21/16 at 12:21pm

Cupid Boy2 said: "hork said: "It might have made sense but it would have been a different show."

If you're implying it would've been a lesser show, I disagree. Regardless of the cast members' skin colors, it would have still been a delightful and riotous parody of the class system. Can't we move beyond the point of getting so hung up on the race of characters aligning with "historical accuracy?" When not exploring themes that would prevent it, wouldn't it be much more interesting to create art that imagines what history would've been like had it been more inclusive or reflective of who we are today? 

I was implying no such thing. Different doesn't mean lesser. But it's interesting that you disagree with me that it'd be a different show, and then go on to describe a show that "imagines what history would've been like had it been more inclusive or reflective of who we are today" (i.e. a different show). It would have been a different show just like Hamilton is a different show than it would be with a white cast.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#782Hello, Dolly
Posted: 10/21/16 at 12:54pm

With all due respect, Bette Midler was born and raised in Hawaii so she is Polynesian.  

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#783Hello, Dolly
Posted: 10/21/16 at 1:14pm

My disagreement was qualified with "if you're implying it would've been a lesser show." Given the post of yours that sparked this conversation and its stance against a diverse GG's cast, I think it was fair to address the possibility you might have been saying it would've been a lesser show seeing as you seemed to be against it. 

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#784Hello, Dolly
Posted: 10/21/16 at 1:14pm

My disagreement was qualified with "if you're implying it would've been a lesser show." Given the post of yours that sparked this conversation and its stance against a diverse GG's cast, I think it was fair to address the possibility you might have been saying it would've been worse off. 

Updated On: 10/21/16 at 01:14 PM

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#785Hello, Dolly
Posted: 10/27/16 at 7:12pm

I wonder if this show might actually have a surprise appearance at Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. Was Cinderella the last time they did a fall preview for a show that was coming the next year?

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#786Hello, Dolly
Posted: 11/10/16 at 12:39am

Bump.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#787Hello, Dolly
Posted: 11/10/16 at 6:15am

I don't have any actual insider knowledge but given the sales have been great and Bette Midler is likely a very busy person I don't know why they'd have much motivation to go through the effort of organising that kind of appearance  (cf. shows that really do need the publicity). I guess we'll know soon though.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

theatreguy12
#788Hello, Dolly
Posted: 12/28/16 at 2:00pm

To be honest, I'll be in the city over spring break and I'm hemming and hawing over this show.  I've seen it with Carol Channing who is so indelibly connected with this show that I almost can't see anyone else in the role at this point.  And as much as I love Bette Midler as a performer and seen her numerous times in concert, I'm afraid I won't be able to lose her unique persona in the character.  It will be like I'm watching Bette Midler play this character named Dolly.  

Granted Carol Channing is a big personality too, but the role has been connected with her so closely since the beginning that when Carol is up there you feel like you're watching the real life of this character, Dolly, unfold in front of you.  Even though you know she's not real and it is an actress playing her.  

Midler is just so iconic at this point and known for other things that I'm not sure I can suspend disbelief on this one.  I do love the show though and if Donna is performing on a certain date when I'm there, I might give it a look.   Or if reviews come back on how natural and good Midler is in the role, I'll think about it as well.  Right now I'm kind of on the fence.   And I'm a huge Better Midler fan.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#789Hello, Dolly
Posted: 12/28/16 at 2:12pm

You'd be lucky to even find a ticket over your spring break anyway. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#790Hello, Dolly
Posted: 12/28/16 at 2:30pm

Geez.  Audiences are fully aware it'll be The Divine Miss M on that stage the entire time.  If you were expecting otherwise, you're an idiot.   This is WHY first day ticket sales broke records and why this revival is even happening.   No one is expecting Miss Midler to reinvent the wheel here in characterization.   We expect the occasional ad-lib and all the fabulousness we love and adore from The Divine Miss M - Bette Midler's legendary alter ego.   That's who's playing Dolly Levi, not Bette Midler.   Big difference.  

theatreguy12
#791Hello, Dolly
Posted: 12/28/16 at 2:48pm

May be right, Cupidboy.  I got one for Hamilton last spring though, a few months out, face value, so you never know.

As far as people knowing it's Midler up there, hence the explosion in ticket sales, no kidding!  No idiocy involved here, but thanks.

It's just an opinion that a lot of people share when it comes to your bigger than life stars, including those in the movies.  Even if you don't. Some actors and actresses in cinema have the same impact.  I just can't lose them in their character anymore.  

As much of a fan as I am of Midler, I think I'm almost more interested in seeing Donna in the role.   And continue to see Midler when I can in concert.  

My not taking in the show will neither hurt ticket sales nor BM's salary.  So it's all moot anyway.

Just an opinion.

Comden Green Profile Photo
Comden Green
#792Hello, Dolly
Posted: 12/28/16 at 11:31pm

I might be able to get closer to agreement if we were talking about the glass menagerie or Chekhov or long days journey.  But it's hello dolly for goodness sake.  It's a fun play.  I'm going so I can have a good time.  I'm pretty sure I will.  

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#793Hello, Dolly
Posted: 12/28/16 at 11:36pm

Elaine Stritch once made a great statement about when an actor has a strong persona, there's always going to be a part of them in their characterization. I have to find the full quote, but it made a lot of sense. When it someone larger than life like Stritch, Midler, LuPone, etc, of course you are going to be aware that it's them up there on the stage, that's part of the fun.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#794Hello, Dolly
Posted: 1/5/17 at 2:37pm

It's getting so real! Hello, Dolly https://www.instagram.com/p/BO5OcxJAnUW/

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#795Hello, Dolly
Posted: 1/5/17 at 3:10pm

I'd like the marquee more if it was read all over with white lettering. The white doesn't make it stand out.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#796Hello, Dolly
Posted: 1/5/17 at 7:38pm

that was quick.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Dollypop
#797Hello, Dolly
Posted: 1/5/17 at 8:04pm

I'll be in the city next week. I have to stop by 44th Street just to soak this in. It's really happening!!!!!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#798Hello, Dolly
Posted: 1/5/17 at 8:26pm

In the photo, the canopy at the entrance to The Shubert reads "back where they belong."

I don't understand.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#799Hello, Dolly
Posted: 1/5/17 at 8:46pm

Since all the ads say BETTE MIDLER / HELLO DOLLY in equal font - I think they mean both the lady and the property are 'back where they belong" [on Broadway] -- I think they could have accomplished the same thing (better) with the actual lyrics: "back where she belongs"

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Videos