pixeltracker

What will they perform at the Tonys?- Page 8

What will they perform at the Tonys?

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#175What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/3/17 at 11:15pm

Valyitz said: "bdn223 said: "Comet's production team probably still trying to figure out how to sell the show via televised performance, if you look at the completely difference performances on GMA and the Today show which were 2 weeks a part. Prologue into Pierre didn't work well, but Balaga into the Abduction one of the most thrilling parts of the show does't have that signature ending and ended somewhat flat on the Today show. If they can change it so that it has a definitive ending, I would go with Balaga/The abduction."

Just curious, what didn't you like about the Prologue/Pierre performance on GMA? I thought it worked quite well and would make sense for the Tonys, especially as they showcased the three nominees. Although yes potentially they could use Dust and Ashes instead of Pierre. 

I also enjoyed the Balaga/The Abduction performance but I think that works a lot better within context.

"

I honestly thought it felt very rushed. My favorite part of the prologue is not so much the character intros as the choruses. As the cast sings them they become more playful and yet simultaneously more restless with the audience as the song builds. The GMA performance rushed through them so they could have Groban sing a truncated Pierre.

Updated On: 5/4/17 at 11:15 PM

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#176What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/3/17 at 11:15pm

Double Post

Updated On: 5/4/17 at 11:15 PM

Valyitz
#177What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/4/17 at 4:18am

Ah makes sense - I can see that. Yeah, I mean I don't see that they necessarily have to cut into a Pierre song if they wanted to feature Groban given that he starts off the song anyway, but I'm assuming that's what they will be doing so that with that in mind it worked for me in that format, but I get that view.

RJ14
#178What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/4/17 at 5:32am

Someone should start a kickstarter for the Falsettos performance tbh

JSquared2
#179What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/4/17 at 11:37am

RJ14 said: "Someone should start a kickstarter for the Falsettos performance tbh"

That only happens on Ken Davenport productions.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#180What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/4/17 at 12:11pm

Jordan Roth seemed so passionate about FALSETTOS. I wouldn't be shocked if they put up the money for a performance.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#181What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/4/17 at 12:16pm

I know it's expensive to have a closed show (or any show) perform at the Tonys... is the cost coming from getting people back together to rehearse, renting space, accompanist, figuring out a digital set, etc? Or is it literally a high fee to perform at the Tonys? I ask because if it's the former, surely Falsettos could do something simple that wouldn't require much preparation. 

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#182What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/4/17 at 12:44pm

Does anyone think it's possible Bette won't perform at the Tonys?

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#183What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/4/17 at 1:25pm

theatregeek6 said: "Does anyone think it's possible Bette won't perform at the Tonys?"

No. Why on earth would she not? She's nominated, the show is heavily nominated, she's the star of the show...?

LJD123
#184What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/4/17 at 1:49pm

I think the Tonys need Hello, Dolly a lot more than Hello, Dolly needs the Tonys. Seems like they ought to beg them to perform for free.

DITTO, this seems very true!

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#185What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/4/17 at 1:56pm

I don't think it'd be the best idea to have Josh perform one of his solos; sure, "Pierre" and "Dust and Ashes" are two of my favorite songs from the show, but he's gone a month after the Tonys so it might not help them sell that many tickets beyond then. I think it'd be a much smarter idea to highlight Denée and Lucas somehow, since I'd assume the two of them are sticking around for a while longer and they're also nominated (and Lucas has a fairly decent shot of winning).

I'm not sure what they could do, though. "No One Else" might bore people, and Lucas doesn't really have a solo song. Maybe they can do a bit of "The Ball" or even "The Duel." 

JSquared2
#186What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/4/17 at 2:30pm

JudyDenmark said: "theatregeek6 said: "Does anyone think it's possible Bette won't perform at the Tonys?"

No. Why on earth would she not? She's nominated, the show is heavily nominated, she's the star of the show...?

Well, just to list 2 reasons... she might not want to, or Rudin might not want her to.  Both are unlikely, but not impossible. 

"

whatdoesntkillme
#187What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/4/17 at 2:36pm

JudyDenmark said: "I know it's expensive to have a closed show (or any show) perform at the Tonys... is the cost coming from getting people back together to rehearse, renting space, accompanist, figuring out a digital set, etc? Or is it literally a high fee to perform at the Tonys? I ask because if it's the former, surely Falsettos could do something simple that wouldn't require much preparation. 

"

It's very much both rehearsals and the fee to perform. These costs can be minimized, yes, but not eliminated. 

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#188What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/4/17 at 3:07pm

"I think it'd be a much smarter idea to highlight Denée and Lucas somehow, since I'd assume the two of them are sticking around for a while longer and they're also nominated (and Lucas has a fairly decent shot of winning)."

Agreed. This is why they should do a cutting of "Letters" (cut some of the Princess Mary section) to showcase Denee, Lucas, and Josh, and then do some of "Balaga" or "The Abduction" to highlight the interactive fun of the show. "Letters" does a good job of setting a tone for the show, which would be smart marketing.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

bear88
#189What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/4/17 at 3:44pm

Great Comet has some tricky challenges. Can they convey the fun, unique and innovative aspects of the show for TV, in a different space?

Do they highlight Groban when he's leaving the show in a few weeks? That seems like a bad idea, although he certainly should be in the performance.

Plus, Great Comet isn't going to get 8 minutes. "Prologue" is four minutes by itself, and chopping it up doesn't seem to work if you want to include one of Groban's solos, which is necessary given how it ends. I would love a combination of the full prologue and "Pierre" or "Dust and Ashes" too, but I would be surprised if they got that much time.

A trimmed-down version of 'Letters' appeals to me, and includes key nominees, even if it's not as innovative and fun as other songs.

I feel like Comet has a lot at stake at the Tonys. A strong performance will emphasize that the show is the star, and there is plenty to see besides Josh Groban, as wonderful as I thought he was as Pierre. A mess or a boring TV show appearance would hurt.

Updated On: 5/4/17 at 03:44 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#190What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/4/17 at 3:58pm

If Dust and Ashes is not included in the NP&TGC segment, I'd be shocked.   

bear88
#191What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/4/17 at 4:56pm

I wouldn't be surprised.  "Dust and Ashes" is a Josh Groban showstopper, and works effectively in helping tell Pierre's story. But it's also the closest thing to a concert solo. People would watch it, say Groban was great, and then find out he's leaving the show in three weeks.

It would only reinforce the impression that Great Comet is worth seeing only for Groban. And chopping two or three songs up won't work, because it never works.

Last year, Leslie Odom Jr. would have brought the house down with "The Room Where it Happens." But Hamilton went with "The Battle of Yorktown," which features the ensemble and choreography more than the stars.

Great Comet has a fascinating challenge, but a tough one given the time constraints and the producers' interest in promoting the show after Groban leaves.

dotseurat2
#192What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/4/17 at 8:34pm

I really think Groundhog Day should do "One Day" from Phil's entrance to the end. Really showcases the ensemble too. 

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#193What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/5/17 at 8:27am

dotseurat2 said: "I really think Groundhog Day should do "One Day" from Phil's entrance to the end. Really showcases the ensemble too. "

I agree.  This is a great group number.  I love the song and scene.

The performance they did on the Today show was an odd choice.  it just seemed chaotic with them running around, and not much singing.  "One Day" would be a much better choice.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#194What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/5/17 at 8:29am

bear88 said: "I wouldn't be surprised.  "Dust and Ashes" is a Josh Groban showstopper, and works effectively in helping tell Pierre's story. But it's also the closest thing to a concert solo. People would watch it, say Groban was great, and then find out he's leaving the show in three weeks.

It would only reinforce the impression that Great Comet is worth seeing only for Groban. And chopping two or three songs up won't work, because it never works.

Last year, Leslie Odom Jr. would have brought the house down with "The Room Where it Happens." But Hamilton went with "The Battle of Yorktown," which features the ensemble and choreography more than the stars.

Great Comet has a fascinating challenge, but a tough one given the time constraints and the producers' interest in promoting the show after Groban leaves."

Point well taken.  Though Groban is a big star and Odom, Jr., as amazingly talented as he is, is not.  But as your post suggests, Groban's celebrity cuts both ways given that he's leaving.  Where I might disagree with you, though, is that having one song segue into another never works, I've seen it work very well on the Tonys.  I can see Prologue going into Ashes and Dust going either way, mashed either appealingly or not. 

"

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#195What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/5/17 at 8:30am

dotseurat2 said: "I really think Groundhog Day should do "One Day" from Phil's entrance to the end. Really showcases the ensemble too."

"One Day" is long and one of my favorite songs from this show, but Phil's entrance is where it really kicks in. I love the buildup around the "Okay Phil, we're on in 5...4..." loop to when he stops the whole thing with "What do you know, it's groundhog day!" and then that big ensemble chorus comes in.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#196What will they perform at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/5/17 at 9:20am

I think Groundhog Day should do "Seeing You." It's like "She Used to Be Mine" -- the closest thing to an 11 o'clock number the show has.

Videos