pixeltracker

HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements- Page 55

HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements

teatime2
#1350HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 6/12/18 at 1:24pm

poisonivy2 said: "RicardoMagon said: "Great review. I'm surprised to see all the negative reviews for the current Angelica and Eliza. I think alot of people don't realize how tricky it is to play Angelica. I always think of Angelica as a baker's wife role. You have to have an amazing actress to pull it off or else she just fades in the background. Renee definitely earned her Tony because you could see so much emotion and so much regalnes and pride despite her character not given much to do in act 2. Lin said Angelica is the smartest person in the whole show. You have to believe that when she's onstage. Renee said in a different time, Angelia could have been president. You have to believe that. I think someone like Heather Headley would exude all of what Angelica should be like Renee did."

I feel like maybe Lawson and Gonzalez have gotten a bit stale? They've been with the show for a long time and just didn't exude much energy. I'd love to see, for instance, what Denee Benton could do in the role of Eliza.
"

They were always stale. 

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#1351HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 6/12/18 at 1:46pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Also, according to the website, Bryson Bruce is the Angelica tour’s new Laf/Jef."

I'm seeing the tour on Friday in DC. I'm very curious about Bryson Bruce, as I previously enjoyed Chris Lee as Lafayette/Jefferson.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

beatofthedrum27
#1352HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 6/12/18 at 5:05pm

WALLACE SMITH FROM CHICAGO CAST IS TAKING OVER FOR J QUINTON JOHNSON ON BROADWAY

MadsonMelo
#1353HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 6/12/18 at 5:19pm

All this talk about the Schuyler Sisters... I'm really praying that both are gone by October LOL

beatofthedrum27
#1354HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 6/13/18 at 9:57pm

GREGORY TRECO IS BACK ON BWAY AS GDUBS!!!!

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#1355HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 6/13/18 at 11:15pm

Are they ever getting a new Jefferson? Really want to go back but Monroe really ruined the show for me when I saw it last year. His garbled singing and poor diction was the worst on stage. 

alexidarling15
#1356HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 6/14/18 at 3:07pm

I was at the Broadway show on Tuesday, and I agree with the reviews of a lot of previous posters. I last saw the Broadway production in Sept 2016, and at that time I actually really enjoyed Mandy Gonzalez and Lexi Lawson’s performances. Both of them have SHARPLY degraded.

I could barely hear Mandy, she was singing way too high during Satisfied and seemed to be phoning it in at times, especially during the last song, when she was actually smiling as Hamilton is dying/walking off the stage. I will give her this - she was fascinating to watch during Helpless, when she did display the right mix of concealed regret/sadness.

Lexi wasn’t as obviously bad but she seemed kind of robotic/bored with a lot of it. At least Joanna Jones is very good as Peggy/Maria. 

Luwoye and Breaker were on and both were fantastic. FANTASTIC. Luwoye has a magnetism that I have not seen in other Hamiltons, and his performance is highly layered (I saw Lin, Javi and Miguel Cervantes.)

I don’t think I totally appreciated the role of Laurens/Phillip until I saw Anthony Lee Medina play it. He has this intense charisma that makes his respective deaths much more devastating.

I agree with whoever said Iglehart is questionable as Laf (unusually bad accent, also seems too old for that role) but fantastic as Jeff, even if he forgot half his lines in the last song. However, I saw Colby Lewis in Chicago a few months ago and vastly preferred his more youthful energy.

Sean Green was on for Mulligan and he was fine. I was disappointed that Wallace Smith hadn’t started yet - Madison was another character I never understood until I saw his hilarious take on the role in Chicago.

I was not impressed with Euan Morton as KG3. Andy Call in Chicago is a million times funnier.

In general, if I had the choice to see Broadway or Chicago, I’d pick Chicago in a heartbeat. Not only are the tickets cheaper (or probably the same price if you count airfare), the energy from the cast is much more intense. It’s almost like this is a show that lends itself to young, scrappy, hungry actors, as opposed to Broadway veterans.  

Trenabee
#1357HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 6/19/18 at 11:25pm

I heard from all reviews, that Bryson’s doing a great job! So happy for him! He loves the rest of the cast and is having a blast. I’m his mom and can’t wait to see him in Washington on June 30th, as Thomas Jefferson & Lafayette!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#1358HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 6/20/18 at 8:32am

@Trenabee, I saw your son Friday evening.  He was fantastic!!  One would never know he had just started performances a few days earlier. I'm seeing it again July 3rd.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

nmlhats
#1359HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 7/3/18 at 11:07pm

Saw it again last week...fourth overall and third time in NY. Observations and opinions:

1) Lexi and Mandy are stiiiiiilllllll there. 

2) I think we were between a Madison/Mulligan main cast change. It was A.Chappell.

3) James Monroe Iglehart did nothing for me as Lafayette/Jefferson.

4) Daniel Breaker is still a very good Burr.

5) Euan Morton as KG still very entertaining.

6) We got Javon McFerrin as Hamilton. Honestly, he is just not right for that role, in my opinion. Maybe too young? He was ok as a young, smart, and bratty Hamilton at the beginning, but the character needs to mature into a confident, ambitious, arrogant, fully-formed intellectual giant by the end of the first act. McFerrin played him as still a sassy, annoying, smart-alec youth just about right up until he got shot by Burr. Luwoye pulls off that transition with aplomb and I was very disappointed that my husband, who was only seeing it for the second time, did not get to enjoy and appreciate Luwoye's performance.

7) Anthony Lee Medina still makes a passionate and heroic Laurens and an adorable Philip.

HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements Robert Walters was on as Seabury and I really, really missed Thayne Jasperson.

9) I still love the show....listen to it constantly in my car...evangelizing all my friends on its many virtues.... but I think I may take a longer break before seeing it again (famous last words). Like whenever we have some new Schuyler sisters. 

devil

Updated On: 7/6/18 at 11:07 PM

robskynyc
#1360HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 7/3/18 at 11:29pm

nmlhats said: “ Lexi and Mandy are stiiiiiilllllll there."

FFS can Mandy leave this show already?! LOL I’m with you tho- not going back until there’s some new sisters. Still hoping for Ana Villafane as Angelica!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#1361HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 7/3/18 at 11:33pm

^ It's amazing to me that Lexi and Mandy have held onto these roles longer than the actresses who originated them in the show's Chicago and first national tour productions... and both of those productions began performances well after Lexi and Mandy joined the Broadway company. It's really been far too long for both of them. Broadway is in dire need of a new Angelica and Eliza.

BroadwayMan5
#1362HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 7/3/18 at 11:48pm

Hearing some of these reports of the current shape of the Broadway show, is it something that LMM is staying involved with? We always hear about Andrew Lloyd Webber and Hal Prince STILL going back to Phantom and making sure it's staying in good shape, it sounds like Hamilton could use a tune-up perhaps with some input from Lin himself or at least some people involved with the original staging

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#1363HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 7/4/18 at 8:04pm

robskynyc said: "nmlhats said: “Lexi and Mandy are stiiiiiilllllll there."

FFS can Mandy leave this show already?! LOL I’m with you tho- not going back until there’s some new sisters. Still hoping for Ana Villafane as Angelica!

"

I know I’m in the minority, but that sounds...not good. She’s also a bit young. 

On on an unrelated note, has anyone had any luck getting standing room recently? 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#1364HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 7/4/18 at 9:17pm

BroadwayMan5 said: "Hearing some of these reports of the current shape of the Broadway show, is it something that LMM is staying involved with? We always hear about Andrew Lloyd Webber and Hal Prince STILL going back to Phantom and making sure it's staying in good shape, it sounds like Hamilton could use a tune-up perhaps with some input from Lin himself or at least some people involved with the original staging"

LMM I think does stay involved BUT that wouldn't make Mandy leave. He has a professional relationship with Mandy that dates back to In the Heights. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#1365HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 7/4/18 at 9:19pm

Didn’t I read that there is a camera installed so he can check in remotely to any performance?

robskynyc
#1366HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 7/5/18 at 9:16pm

starcatchers said: "robskynyc said: "nmlhats said: “Lexi and Mandy are stiiiiiilllllll there."

"

On on an unrelated note, has anyone had any luck getting standing room recently?
"

Angelica was 24 years old when Alexander married Eliza. 

Ana is 29, Mandy is 39. I’d say Ana is better suited for the role.

Solipsist234
#1367HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 7/5/18 at 9:28pm

robskynyc said: "starcatchers said: "robskynyc said: "nmlhats said: “Lexi and Mandy are stiiiiiilllllll there."

"

Rene

"

"

Renée was in her early 40s when she originated the role, so...

Quite honestly, if you're going to cast Angelica in any production of this show, age certainly plays a part, considering she's supposed to be Eliza's older sister (which is why some productions have cast Eliza as a lot younger that the actress playing Angelica, i.e. Rachelle Ann Go and Rachel John in London, Ari Afsar and Karen Olivo/Montego Glover in Chicago, etc.)

starcatchers
#1368HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 7/6/18 at 12:11am

Solipsist234 said: "robskynyc said: "starcatchers said: "robskynyc said: "nmlhats said: “Lexi and Mandy are stiiiiiilllllll there."

"

Rene

"

"

Quite honestly, if you're going to cast Angelica in any production of this show, agecertainly plays a part, considering she's supposed to be Eliza'solder sister (which is why some productions have cast Eliza as a lot younger that the actress playing Angelica, i.e. Rachelle Ann Go and Rachel John in London, Ari Afsar and Karen Olivo/Montego Glover in Chicago, etc.)"

Exactly. Villafañe looks very young. (Also, to be honest, I don’t love the idea of her acting as Angelica) 

for the record, I did end up getting standing room as the matinee was starting. Jevon McFerrin was on as Hamilton. Nothing particularly standout to report, but I really enjoyed him. Gregory Treco was on as Washington and I LOVED him. I wanted to see him as Burr back in the day but never got a chance. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

robskynyc
#1369HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 7/6/18 at 11:17am

Solipsist234 said: "robskynyc said: "starcatchers said: "robskynyc said: "nmlhats said: “Lexi and Mandy are stiiiiiilllllll there."

"

Rene

"

"

Quite honestly, if you're going to cast Angelica in any production of this show, agecertainly plays a part, considering she's supposed to be Eliza'solder sister (which is why some productions have cast Eliza as a lot younger that the actress playing Angelica, i.e. Rachelle Ann Go and Rachel John in London, Ari Afsar and Karen Olivo/Montego Glover in Chicago, etc.)"

the same could be said for donald webber or ryan vazquez as hamilton they are/look VERY young.

starcatchers
#1370HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 7/6/18 at 2:14pm

I haven’t seen him as Hamilton, but I don’t find Ryan Vasquez to be that young looking. (I had also completely forgotten he joined on a Broadway until he walked on stage yesterday.)

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#1371HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 7/6/18 at 2:23pm

I saw Austin Scott on the Angelica tour, and he's VERY young, closer to my age than to LMM/Javier/etc. Weirdly enough I thought it worked well - he was overflowing with energy as young/Act 1 Alexander and shaped up to be a surprisingly good older/Act 2 Alexander as well.

Come to think of it, the whole Angelica tour was pretty young when I saw it, excepting Washington, KG3, and Angelica (Sabrina Sloan).

Updated On: 7/6/18 at 02:23 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#1372HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 7/6/18 at 4:11pm

Miles2Go2 said: "Didn’t I read that there is a camera installed so he can check in remotely to any performance?"

Each performance definitely gets filmed, but not specifically for Lin. I’m sure he gets the same tapes the dance captains, associate directors and stage managers get.

I wonder if Lin and co don’t want to let Mandy go, because of how close they are? I just wish Mandy and Lexi got bigger offers for another show....

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

nmlhats
#1373HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 7/6/18 at 4:16pm

Oh, yeah, and I forgot to mention that Mandy was totally off-pitch for the first half of "Satisfied." It was painful.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#1374HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements
Posted: 7/6/18 at 4:20pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I just wish Mandy and Lexi got bigger offers for another show...."

I just wish they would be gracious and let new actresses take on these immensely special roles. Angelica and Eliza are too beautifully written to have actresses phoning them in two years into their runs. It's time to step aside.