pixeltracker

David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY- Page 3

David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#50David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/17/16 at 7:32pm

As long as Pierce doesn't steal another Tony from Raul Esparza I guess he can play Horace.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#51David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/17/16 at 7:45pm

Who is homophobic when a personal ad.reads-----[male]want to connect with a straight guy. Can never understand why a gay[presumedly] man requests sex with a straight man[who then wouldn't be straight--just a little bent,or bi]. Didn't Philly say there was no such thing?

Is that when a gay is homophobic?

Whoever plays Horace there would have been endless discussions  AND auditions to see if the chemistry/physicallity worked between the 2 characters.

These discussions and ideas here are just 'fun'--all the hardwork and thinking has already been done for us,

Let's enjoy whoever the powers decide.

SL.........x

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#52David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/17/16 at 8:09pm

I have to admit that image a few posts back of "Bettezilla" and a tiny David Hyde Pierce on a stool made me laugh ... and that's a good thing. Those two stars should play that up, and it won't be the Horrace and Dolly we're used to, but it could actually work ... especially if she (more or less) tosses him around like a rag doll, emotionally AND physically.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#53David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/17/16 at 8:29pm

Yes of course rayandallthatcrap...you are the know all and be all of BWW...you know exactly where I was coming from and what I meant because you are just fabulously psychic like that.

I am going to tell you something that you ARE NOT going to do. You ARE NOT going to tell me what I am thinking or what my intentions are when I post. That's what you ARE NOT going to do. 

Go  ahead and accuse someone else for being homophobic or whatever the hell you feel like accusing someone of today...but I am NOT the one.

And I  still stand by my opinion. So just DEAL WITH IT. 

Updated On: 5/17/16 at 08:29 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#54David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/17/16 at 8:44pm

best12bars said: "I have to admit that image a few posts back of "Bettezilla" and a tiny David Hyde Pierce on a stool made me laugh ... and that's a good thing. Those two stars should play that up, and it won't be the Horrace and Dolly we're used to, but it could actually work ... especially if she (more or less) tosses him around like a rag doll, emotionally AND physically."

Besty, I wouldn't be surprised if that's how they envisioned it. Dolly is such a force, and she really sort of does whatever she wants with Horace. There's something potentially sexy, hilarious, fun, and romantic about the pairing the way you describe it. I initially thought they would get someone who would be a match for Midler's larger than life persona, and I love that they surprised us and went in the completely opposite direction. They are both such gifted comedians, I think the producers (and Midler, who undoubtedly had a saying in her choice of leading man) are showing that though this production may be honoring the Gower Champion production, they are still willing to make some surprising choices along the way to keep it fresh. This truly is such an event revival, I can't wait to hear who else is involved.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Tom5
#55David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/17/16 at 9:00pm

He will be a different Horace than I would be comfortable with. But I am sure no one could deliver the lines better. Maybe a wash. Maybe better. Maybe worse. P.S. Hopefully a full orchestra. The score is a beaut! A must-see for all.

Wilmingtom
#56David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/17/16 at 9:59pm

Midler is only 5'1" so DHP won't look tiny next to her.  And although it's not a quality we customarily associate with Horace, I think an effete gentleman is an interesting choice.  Affected, pretentious, mannered, proper, controling and concerned with appearances could all describe that character.  And I can imagine Dolly determined to knock him off his high horse.

matineeidol2591
#57David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/17/16 at 10:43pm

tis true- rialto chatter is that kate baldwin is Irene Malloy.  melanie moore and podschun are potential minnie fays.  was hopeful they would cast more diverse with this one, although baldwin is one of our finest musical theatre actresses working today.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#58David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/17/16 at 11:13pm

David played a straight character on TV very successfully and winning awards along the way.

I know plenty of straight guys who are moire nellie than Pierce, (no offense to people named nellie) It takes all kinds and I'm positive it's not the first time a gay Actor played Horace. And remember the original Cornelius? 

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#59David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/17/16 at 11:35pm

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "Hmmm Gavin Creel?! If Gavin is Cornelius and Kate Baldwin is Irene I will truly die of happiness and someone will have to drag my body to the Shubert."

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#60David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/17/16 at 11:40pm

As an actor he has a good sense of humor and I think that will work very well for the part. He will also be a good foil for her since she is larger than life.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#61David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/18/16 at 12:44am

I'm sure the majority of you guys posting can relate to David Hyde Pierce...David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY

Updated On: 5/18/16 at 12:44 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#62David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/18/16 at 10:05am

Pierce's sexuality is irrelevant. As an actor, he reads to me as an upper class intellectual- even when he's playing a Boston detective, like in Curtains. It's a different type of actor for Horace.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

TNick926 Profile Photo
TNick926
#63David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/18/16 at 10:30am

Thorton Wilder describes his character Horace Vandergelder thusly: "60, choleric, vain and sly".  That's it.  David Hyde Pierce is 5'9" and Bette is only 5'1" so she certainly won't tower over a tiny Pierce.  Nonetheless, I was a little disappointed when I first saw that Hyde Pierce will play this part...but I'm warming up to the idea.  A fresh take...a wiry stern merchant who aspires to be more...and for those already saying there will be no romantic chemistry between Midler and Hyde Pierce, how can anyone know that?  I have a feeling he will pull it off masterfully, and that their comic chemistry will be great.  Truthfully, I am already seeing this production in my mind, and imagine that Bette is going to be a SENSATIONAL Dolly!  Kate Baldwin as Irene Malloy - perfect!  If Gavin Creel is Cornelius?  I'm kvelling!! :)  

Updated On: 5/18/16 at 10:30 AM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#64David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/18/16 at 10:37am

DHP is a very fine actor and is not limited to the characters or choices of previous roles. At the same time, the role is not limited to the choices people seem to be wed to. The ONLY thing that makes this production interesting is the casting, and Scott Rudin knows that. There is no broad groundswell of interest in reviving this chestnut other than to see Midler, Pierce and the remainder of the blockbuster cast that will undoubtedly be assembled in the pattern of Shuffle.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#65David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/18/16 at 2:32pm

I think some of you have lost my point by being literal about it. Pierce is not small enough to fit on a stool next to Bette, and Bette is "small" only in literal height. She is a huge personality, larger-than-life, take no prisoners kind of presence on stage.

Pierce is more diminutive, a "slow boil" with his wonderful comic timing, and smaller in scale than Bette. He's not a "strong force" to go toe-to-toe with her.

Streisand and Matthau were evenly matched in the film. She "clips his wings" of course, but it was a balanced fight for much of it.

This will be a different "Dolly," and I still say it might work well in the end.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#66David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/18/16 at 2:46pm

When do tickets go on sale?

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#67David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/18/16 at 3:03pm

See my subtext is: Horace is a closeted gay man looking for a beard/Marriage blanc. He starts w the Widow Molloy cos as a milliner he figures she's a rose that has bloomed for others and can't afford to be too picky ( Milliners were traditionally what men set their ex-lovers up in after they were done w them) But Dolly seeing that well known half a millionaire is willing to settle ( and as she is still in love w her late husband) decides to go for the brass ring herself and make a deal to play w  his money.  Cornelius  & Barnaby lately a couple  themselves, become more 'versatile"  and go bi for Irene & Minnie Fay.. The only real boy/girl couple is Ambrose and Ermegarde.  Unless Ambrose turns out to be transgender? OOO

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#68David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/18/16 at 3:13pm

Uh.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#69David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/18/16 at 3:18pm

I wouldn't underestimate David Hyde Pierce. I remember he did a reading of "How to Succeed" playing J.B. Bigley, and Daniel Radcliffe as Finch, and I remember hearing nothing but positive things about it. As we know the role went later to John Larroquette, I feel like he could pull it off. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

hork Profile Photo
hork
#70David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/18/16 at 3:24pm

SweetLips said: "Who is homophobic when a personal ad.reads-----[male]want to connect with a straight guy. Can never understand why a gay[presumedly] man requests sex with a straight man[who then wouldn't be straight--just a little bent,or bi]. Didn't Philly say there was no such thing?

Is that when a gay is homophobic?

Not at all. Seeking a dalliance with a straight guy doesn't mean you have a problem with gays. Sometimes you just want something a little different (and no, a guy having sex with another guy doesn't necessarily mean he's not straight).

I see nothing homophobic in this thread, though it does seem that some people need to learn what "effete" means.

Tom5
#71David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/18/16 at 3:25pm

I remember reading somewhere that after the exhausting effort required to do "I'll Eat You Last" Bette  had sworn off Broadway for good. So I was delighted to read that she'll be doing Dolly and it will be the only reason I will be seeing it. It also occurs to me that Larry David has sworn off Broadway as well and who would make a better Horace? Maybe the fates will intervene somehow.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#72David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/18/16 at 9:41pm

I also wonder when tickets go on sale. I have read the Fall but does anyone have any specific information? Will there be a presale through Amex?

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#73David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/19/16 at 4:38am

I was told tonight that an Australian friend who travels to 'everything' has his name down for pre-sale on Amex already.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#74David Hyde Pierce to Join Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 5/19/16 at 11:56am

Here's David Burns in the original Dolly. He's not at all big and burly and surly like Walter Matthau in the movie. He's more like DHP, actually.

Videos