pixeltracker

SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs- Page 2

SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs

¿Macavity?
#25SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:11pm

Won't this make Waitress the only new spring musical to survive the summer?

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#26SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:12pm

I totally did not see this coming.

AnnieBlack
#27SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:13pm

I happened to look for tickets for tonight, yesterday, and was shocked how many were available. This was the first week that Audra was scheduled to not be in the show, and I think that people really didn't purchase tickets after her extension announcement. I think we will sadly see a huge drop in grosses when they come out next week. Very sad to see this and will be going to see it again this weekend. 

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#28SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:13pm

Hasn't Glover already joined the show? 

There is a big disclaimer on Telecharge when you buy tickets warning that Audra won't be performing after 7/24. I can totally understand why there is no advance after that date. They really needed to find a Jennifer Hudson level star to take over until she could return to the production. 

I don't think Rudin or anyone is blaming Audra. I think this is just a testament to what a box office star she is. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

MannPhan24601
#29SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:16pm

Guess Shuffle Along is the Carrie or Chess of the 2015-2016 season except it has much better grosses....

aaaaaa15
#30SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:16pm

Yes I knew Audra was a draw, but I didn't realize she was this much of a draw. Good for her at least.

AnnieBlack
#31SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:19pm

Remember back when Brian Stokes Mitchell was able to keep a show open- he seemed in the past to be a star in his own right, but those days seem to be over (and his role in the show just not as big as it should be?)

BroadwayBen
#32SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:20pm

This makes me so sad.   I'm not angry at Rudin.  He's just responding to sales.  I'm mad that New Yorkers aren't smart enough any more to understand that a new George Wolfe musical with choreography by Savion is worth a night out, even without a "star."   I loved the show.  Was it perfect?  No.  Was it wonderful?  Yes.   I'm sad that there's not an audience that would at least take it through Labor Day.   New Yorkers should be ashamed.  There shouldn't be an empty seat right now. 

vampire musical
#33SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:21pm

An American in Paris was expected but this...!!! I guess Audra was selling that show. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#34SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:22pm

In Rudins Terri grids episode he mentioned he had to have a meeting about not recouping and like him writing out the check, I wonder if it was for this.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

evic
#35SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:26pm

I am betting that the nut for this was on the scale of Wicked.  Salaries for the leads were probably so high, that they could not sustain a long run. That plus royalty payments for songs, large cast, loads of costumes, etc. Music Box is a small theater and they probably couldn't get people to shell out those big premium prices. Also, the presentation on the Tonys fell flat and it didn't do anything to get heavy advances, which I believe, because we would have heard about the bump. The cast must be in shock.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#36SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:32pm

wow. I am at Shuffle Along right now (intermission) and it has been phenomenal so far. sad news.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#37SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:35pm

Please let there be a cast recording, at least.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#38SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:35pm

This. Was announced an hour ago and there's still not a thread asking if the last performance will be streamed.

Weird. 

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#39SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:36pm

BroadwayBen said: "This makes me so sad.   I'm not angry at Rudin.  He's just responding to sales.  I'm mad that New Yorkers aren't smart enough any more to understand that a new George Wolfe musical with choreography by Savion is worth a night out, even without a "star."   I loved the show.  Was it perfect?  No.  Was it wonderful?  Yes.   I'm sad that there's not an audience that would at least take it through Labor Day.   New Yorkers should be ashamed.  There shouldn't be an empty seat right now. 

"

New Yorkers should be ashamed? Really? Sad news indeed, but c'mon.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#40SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:40pm

Jordan Catalano said: This. Was announced an hour ago and there's still not a thread asking if the last performance will be streamed.

I think it was streamed last night... ??

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#41SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:42pm

Sad news! I'll definitely be seeing this again before it closes. 

Did they ever end up having merchandise?

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#42SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:45pm

MichelleCraig said: "Jordan Catalano said: This. Was announced an hour ago and there's still not a thread asking if the last performance will be streamed.

I think it was streamed last night... ??

"

It could be the untitled Broadway musical!!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#43SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:48pm

It was a noble experiment. I hope everyone in BroadwayWorld sees it before it closes.

mpkie
#44SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:49pm

BroadwayBen said: "This makes me so sad.   I'm not angry at Rudin.  He's just responding to sales.  I'm mad that New Yorkers aren't smart enough any more to understand that a new George Wolfe musical with choreography by Savion is worth a night out, even without a "star."   [....]  New Yorkers should be ashamed."

What does it have to do with New Yorkers? We're hardly the audience of Broadway.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#45SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:49pm

New Yorkers don't close shows. If the tourists don't buy ahead, the show is doomed.  They should have replaced Audra with Bernadette Peters, she's a great tapper 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#46SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:51pm

This is shocking. i was by no means a fan of this show, but this is bizarre. 

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#47SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:53pm

I'm shocked to hear this and a little sad. I loved this show. Was planning on seeing it with Audra's replacement. Just picked up a ticket for the final two performances. 

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

bryan
#48SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:53pm

very sad I hope it gets a cast cd made soon

swanjewel Profile Photo
swanjewel
#49SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:54pm

Wow, I'm shocked! Very sad news...