pixeltracker

Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS- Page 4

Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS

jbird5
#75Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/10/16 at 7:25pm

Jeanna de Waal is currently doing a straight play (Orwell in America) at 59e59. It runs through October 30.

Updated On: 10/10/16 at 07:25 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#76Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/11/16 at 3:55pm

This is surprising https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/WAITRESS-Will-Get-a-New-Waitress--Caitlin-Houlahan-Joins-Cast-This-Fall-20161011

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#77Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/11/16 at 4:06pm

Well looks like Kimiko is officially out, weird

Updated On: 10/11/16 at 04:06 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#78Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/11/16 at 4:06pm

Where the hell is Kimiko?

neonlightsxo
#79Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/11/16 at 4:11pm

Too bad about Kimiko. Too bad for us, I mean. Glad she's having such success that she doesn't need to come back!

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#80Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/11/16 at 4:26pm

I saw Caitlin in the Bridges tour. Her role in Bridges wasn't really a big focus, but I remember her being fine. She must've had one hell of an audition for them not to hire a "name". I look forward to hearing how she does!

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#81Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/11/16 at 4:29pm

She is also teeny tiny and can fit in Kimiko's costumes.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#82Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/11/16 at 7:07pm

It would've been nice to keep it an Asian actress, I can't think of any shows currently featuring Asians in a featured role. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#83Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/11/16 at 7:32pm

But that would completely invalidate the idea of colorblind casting. I would like to think that Kimiko got the role based solely on her talent and not because they wanted the role to be minority for minority sake.  It actually gives me faith that Paulus feels any of the female roles could be cast with any ethnicity.  

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#84Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/11/16 at 8:02pm

The thing is sometimes the only way to hire an actor of color is to actually specify that the character is of color in the casting (not in the script necessarily), especially when we know that Asian actors are severely underrepresented on film and Broadway. If they had hired another actor of color, it'd be different. And you know, a lot of people get cast in things simply because of the fact they are white, so it's pretty unfair that people of color have to deal with people saying things like "I hope they didn't get cast because they are a minority." The entire cast of Hamilton is cast on the basis that they belong to a certain racial/ethnic group AND the fact they are talented, turns out you can do both at the same time!

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

somechrysanthemumtea Profile Photo
somechrysanthemumtea
#85Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/11/16 at 8:39pm

I agree with allthatjazz, I'd of liked the role to stay an Asian role. While it's great that Waitress is going for "true" color blind casting, I feel like we haven't reached the stage where that kind of casting positively effects actors of color. I feel like the casting of Dawn as a white women only takes away opportunities from POC Actors, since I doubt we'll ever see a POC actor in another principal role in Waitress.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#86Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/11/16 at 8:46pm

But the character of Dawn isn't written in the script expressly to be Asian. That's what made Kimikos casting progressive.  I understand the good hearted intentions but truly - handicapping "minority roles" is not the answer to opening the door for more opportunities for ethnic actors. And I see no reason why the creative team wouldn't consider hiring a minority to replace Jessie Mueller. They've already proved their open mindedness.

Updated On: 10/11/16 at 08:46 PM

jonlow09
#87Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/11/16 at 9:45pm

As an Asian-American, I'm perfectly fine with this casting. I would've been thrilled if another Asian actress got to play the role, but it's not necessarg. Two wonderful Asian-Americans played the role and now they've demonstrated that the role is race-neutral. I'd love to see a big-name POC take over for Jessie Mueller.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#88Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/11/16 at 9:50pm

According the broadway.com there is other imminent casting news for this show.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#89Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/11/16 at 9:51pm

Has nick left yet? Maybe it's his replacement.

Edit: strike that, he has left. Maybe Jessie is leaving.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 10/11/16 at 09:51 PM

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#90Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/11/16 at 11:10pm

Keala is also a POC, she's just white-passing. I hope at least one of the girls stays a POC at all times. None of them are written specifically to a race, I don't want to see this production take two steps back.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

broadwayguy91
#91Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/12/16 at 12:01am

CindersGolightly said: "Keala is also a POC, she's just white-passing. I hope at least one of the girls stays a POC at all times. None of them are written specifically to a race, I don't want to see this production take two steps back.

"

eh? do you mean as in her character or Keala herself? On her twitter account, Keala writes in her profile something along the lines of "proudly Polynesian" , so she isn't exactly trying to hide her ethnicity. and Becky In the musical has never been race-specified either in the plot or the casting breakdown if IIRC.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#92Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/12/16 at 5:01am

White passing just means that your complexion is light though for people to think you're white. It's not like, a term for people trying to hide their race. I'm white passing, too.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#93Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/12/16 at 5:14am

Tag said: "According the broadway.com there is other imminent casting news for this show."

Was this somewhere other than the article about Houlahan's hiring because I didn't see anything in that about other casting? Just curious. 

I saw it two weeks ago and unfortunately William Popp wasn't a good fit as Earl. It felt very overacted. As many of us have said, it's a thankless role and now that he is gone, we're seeing what Nick Cordero brought to the table. Hopefully he'll adjust to the role more but from his first time on stage it was actually jarring how much it felt like he was acting. I also think trying to use an accent was making it worse, especially when he was singing. Jessie Mueller really showed off her skill by handling this change seamlessly because her performance remained flawless during their very dramatic scenes together. 

As for Houlahan stepping in, I'm not familiar with her work but I'll certainly try to see her in this, having seen both Glenn and Ushkowitz (and de Waal in Boston). Glenn was really great in the role - she had excellent comedic timing which is critical. Dawn needs to be neurotic, geeky, and somewhat vulnerable. Being a tiny person does reflect that, while also allowing her to fit well with Christopher Fitzgerald's character who is referred to as an "elf." I think Dawn is a difficult role to truly pull off without making her too over the top. I'm just surprised that Ushkowitz is leaving, but maybe she never intended to stay this long or the creatives didn't feel she was a good fit.  

This show is quite diverse, yes currently moreso in the ensemble than principal roles, and I hope it will continue to be. Several understudies are color blind. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

KathyNYC2
#94Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/12/16 at 8:40am

NJ_BroadwayGirl said: " I think Dawn is a difficult role to truly pull off without making her too over the top. I'm just surprised that Ushkowitz is leaving, but maybe she never intended to stay this long or the creatives didn't feel she was a good fit. "

"

When she was cast, Ushkowitz was only scheduled to be on until Labor Day and stayed until late October. She has plans. It has nothing to do with the creatives not feeling she was a good fit. Everyone loves her there.

broadwayboy223
#95Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/12/16 at 8:52am

Seriously hoping they get Carmen Cusack for Jenna. 

LarryD2
#96Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/12/16 at 9:04am

Carmen Cusack is far too old for the role.

KathyNYC2
#97Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/12/16 at 9:08am

I think that Jessie is there for a year so if there are immediate casting announcements coming, I am guessing they are for someone else in another role.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#98Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/12/16 at 9:10am

QueenAlice said: "She is also teeny tiny and can fit in Kimiko's costumes.

"

Um....no.   Every actress that plays the part (including the understudy) has new costumes made specifically for them. (Because, ew.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#99Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS
Posted: 10/12/16 at 9:49am

Well I was being facetious, but actually no -- that's not always true. They do keep the costumes and they are often rebuilt for understudies, road companies etc. And there is such a thing as dry cleaning.