pixeltracker

Worst Marketing you've seen. - Page 2

Worst Marketing you've seen.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#25Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 7:47am

Worst marketing I ever seen

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#26Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 8:55am

Re Steve Martin writing bright star: He did do an interview on one of the most highly rated late night tv shows and the cast did a performance so it's not like they didn't try to market the show to the mass of America.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#27Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 9:13am

I remember finding the Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson marketing a bit misguided. The posters made the show seem like something it wasn't.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

broadwayindie
#28Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 9:47am

I'm going to add In Transit to this list just because I keep forgetting that its running

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#29Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 9:48am

Mysteriousgrowl, I've seen a lot of creepy GIFs, and that one definitely makes my top 5.

On-topic, I have to concur about Bright Star not milking Steve Martin enough. They could've gone with the Waitress/Sara Bareilles route, which certainly seemed to work in the show's favor. (As an aside, I finally caught Waitress with my guy on my birthday, and I only cried three times...)

I don't know if Bridges' marketing was BAD necessarily, but I think its really polarized reviews made it tough for their team. Also, I wish the big non-profits (i.e. Roundabout) did more fan interaction in general. It really gets me pumped for what they put on.

Ditto that GGLAM has the most fun marketing campaign I've ever seen for a show.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

temms Profile Photo
temms
#30Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 9:52am

"High Society" with the cats in the sailboat was pretty bad. 

The "Dance of the Vampires" marquee with the tag line "The one Broadway musical that really sucks" was unfortunate, especially since it stayed up months longer than the show ran.

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#31Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 12:02pm

I really can't believe no one has mentioned American Psycho yet. They really, really dropped the ball.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#32Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 12:14pm

American Psycho for sure could have had more fun with marketing but I did think the design they had was very slick. 

I don't remember Dance of the Vampires having that on their marquee, I thought it said something using the word 'bite' not 'suck'

And how can anybody think Something Rotten's advertising was bad? Their marketing team did a great job.  

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#33Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 12:24pm

In recent memory, I'd have to say the Side Show revival. It was vague and generically show-biz. The production was never gonna be a hit, but c'mon. It's a show about conjoined twins. Do something interesting with the posters.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 9/27/16 at 12:24 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#34Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 12:30pm

I think HANDS ON A HARDBODY wins the award for worst marketing. The cast and creators are still angry over it, and they have every right to be. 

undercoverusher
#35Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 12:54pm

I Agree Hardbody was marketed terribly, a major rock star wrote the music, they only staarted mentioning Trey Anastasio's name a few weeks in the ads before it closed. 

hork Profile Photo
hork
#36Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 12:58pm

LOL @ Mysteriousgrowl

thommg Profile Photo
thommg
#37Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 1:57pm

Currently, I would say the Hello, Dolly TV ad is horrible. It's very condescending and pisses me off rather than encourages me to buy a ticket. On Your Feet is a show that is full of excitement and fun but the ad for it is horrible. It looks like someone did it in Photoshop for their community theatre. 

And I'm with the first posters who mentioned Bridges of Madison County. The original ads for that show were just horrible! Unfortunately, they spent too much time using those before they switched. I think, by then, it was too late. People had already made up their minds about going to see the show. Neither ad campaign took advantage of the how attractive the leads were in a musical about romance. As much as I love Kelli & Steven, showing them in a recording studio sing away from each other didn't cut it.  

GreenGables Profile Photo
GreenGables
#38Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 3:25pm

broadwayindie said: "I'm going to add In Transit to this list just because I keep forgetting that its running

"

*SNAPS* Agree 100%.  I walked by the marquee the other day and couldn't tell it apart from a Subway sign.  Worried that it'll look too much like a metro card to catch any attention on a bus or taxi topper

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#39Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 5:37pm

Nerds

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#40Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 7:17pm

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ageorges3 Profile Photo
ageorges3
#41Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 8:58pm

I watched an interview with Hugh Panaro on Seth Rudetsky's chatterbox years ago and was intriuged by what he had to say about Side Show's marketing.  The team hired to do the work for that show did the production an unfortunate disservice with the work they did, and the show unfortunately closed up shop way sooner than it should have (never got to see it to my regret, was too young at the time!)  I've felt similarly about marketing for other shows like Next to Normal.  They look pleasing aesthetically, but at the same time, they don't tell the average consumer (outside of us theater nerds) much about the shows content - and its those markets that the producers rely on for a show to run for a while.  Always been of the opinion that guys like Scott Rudin, producers with significant artistic acumen, hire the best firms and know what they want conveyed in the marketing for their shows.  If you look at the TV marketing for Mormon (did a cursory search and couldn't find the exact firm he hired) it's successful on a ton of different levels - Brantley quote, music from the show - executed in a catchy, fun, light hearted way.   

Linked artwork from Next to Normal so you guys can get a sense of what I mean (the coloring is pleasing - anything in purple looks good, it's cool imagery, but the actual quote says little about the show other than it being something that will pull at the heart strings): Next_to_Normal_original_poster_art.jpg

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#42Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 10:29pm

I thought Next to Normal was pretty great. Especially with how they dressed the theater with the really "bleak" head shots. I got a good sense of what it was. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#43Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 10:32pm

Also, while there are legal, official clips of Mormon out there, they've never released much of a B-roll and still haven't used footage from the show in any ads. The ones of the guys dancing that's been shown in Times Square, on popup ads, and on TV wasn't even filmed until the show had been running for 3 or 4 years. (Their social media voice is kind of obnoxious, but I guess it works for them.)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#44Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 11:47pm

Not Broadway, but this tumblr account compiles some of the worst posters/pictures/campaigns of regional theater companies and some of these are gems: https://prisdifficult.tumblr.com/

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#45Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/27/16 at 11:52pm

Next to Normal...ok im done

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#46Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/28/16 at 12:55am

The last WICKED TV commercial was awful. The One was good and one was Wicked one. Just saw the new one today. It is a bit better.

Just give the world Love.

KateSam
#47Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/28/16 at 3:35am

I actually found Book of Mormon's Facebook page to be very funny.

KateSam
#48Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/28/16 at 3:37am

You know I did not even think about Bright Star when I went to NYC. If they had mentioned it was by Steve Martin then I would have seen it.  I think I would of preferred it to Shuffle. The problem was I did not even know much about it. When I knew heaps about Shuffle

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "Mysteriousgrowl, I've seen a lot of creepy GIFs, and that one definitely makes my top 5.

On-topic, I have to concur about Bright Star not milking Steve Martin enough. They could've gone with the Waitress/Sara Bareilles route, which certainly seemed to work in the show's favor. (As an aside, I finally caught Waitress with my guy on my birthday, and I only cried three times...)

I don't know if Bridges' marketing was BAD necessarily, but I think its really polarized reviews made it tough for their team. Also, I wish the big non-profits (i.e. Roundabout) did more fan interaction in general. It really gets me pumped for what they put on.

Ditto that GGLAM has the most fun marketing campaign I've ever seen for a show.

"

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#49Worst Marketing you've seen.
Posted: 9/28/16 at 3:55am

Absolutely "American Psycho", the staging, choreography, the music.. way too much neglected. I don't know if it will become a "Carrie", maybe it will have another life. Only time and blood will tell.

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?