pixeltracker

Who else was supposed to play hedwig?

Who else was supposed to play hedwig?

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#1Who else was supposed to play hedwig?
Posted: 10/17/16 at 11:52pm

I know that the show had plans for other actors and actresses to play Hedwig while it was on Broadway. Does anyone know who these were?

broadwayguy91
#2Who else was supposed to play hedwig?
Posted: 10/17/16 at 11:57pm

Alan Cumming

BrightLights3
#3Who else was supposed to play hedwig?
Posted: 10/18/16 at 12:00am

If you mean who was approached throughout the run (not specifically who they'd have wanted to go on after Taye) - Adam Lambert said they offered but he declined. 

Updated On: 10/18/16 at 12:00 AM

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#4Who else was supposed to play hedwig?
Posted: 10/18/16 at 12:13am

There were lots of rumors swirling around the theatre near/during closing by Hedheads who claimed to have inside knowledge. The most common one was an idea that NPH was going to come back and play the role during the 2015 holidays, and then JCM would come back and close the show in early 2016.

But wasn't Miley Cyrus also offered the role, or in talks, at some point? I imagine they offered it to a bunch of celebrities. I'm glad Adam declined, I don't care for him personally. 

Lena has said recently that there was a discussion of her returning to Bway as Hedwig with Stephen Trask as Yitzhak. This was also a big fan theory back in the summer of '15.

So, there was definitely a lot of "could've been." It's a shame the show concluded as suddenly as it did. Taye was great in theory, and I personally really enjoyed him in the role (even having seen all Bway Hedwigs). The bad word of mouth he caused + sales really ran it into the ground. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#5Who else was supposed to play hedwig?
Posted: 10/18/16 at 12:41am

I wish we could get a Lena in NYC or near it. I'd love to see her and hear her vocals. Her voice. Damn. I think Lambert might have been pretty good, actually. I mean, we know he can sing it. But he started as a performer, so I think he could act it. I don't why he'd turn it down? It's not like he's at a place in his career to really originate a role? 

theoriginoflove
#6Who else was supposed to play hedwig?
Posted: 10/18/16 at 1:24am

I think Lady Gaga and Justin Timberlake were in talks of playing Hedwig. Lady Gaga would have been a phenomenal Hedwig. 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#7Who else was supposed to play hedwig?
Posted: 10/18/16 at 2:19am

Tilda Swinton. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#8Who else was supposed to play hedwig?
Posted: 10/18/16 at 7:42am

RippedMan said: "I wish we could get a Lena in NYC or near it. I'd love to see her and hear her vocals. Her voice. Damn. I think Lambert might have been pretty good, actually. I mean, we know he can sing it. But he started as a performer, so I think he could act it. I don't why he'd turn it down? It's not like he's at a place in his career to really originate a role? "

I agree. I've been dreaming of travelling to SF or LA to see Lena perform but it won't be the same as seeing it on Broadway. I was lucky enough to see all 6 Hedwigs on Broadway due to the rush lottery. 

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#9Who else was supposed to play hedwig?
Posted: 10/18/16 at 7:59am

RippedMan said: "I wish we could get a Lena in NYC or near it. I'd love to see her and hear her vocals. Her voice. Damn. I think Lambert might have been pretty good, actually. I mean, we know he can sing it. But he started as a performer, so I think he could act it. I don't why he'd turn it down? It's not like he's at a place in his career to really originate a role? 

I believe his reasoning was that as a cis actor, he does not feel that it is appropriate for him to play trans roles. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#10Who else was supposed to play hedwig?
Posted: 10/18/16 at 10:03am

I'd love to see Tilda Swinton do ANYTHING on stage, but she has said in many interviews that despite starting in the theatre, she actually doesn't enjoy it and wouldn't likely return to the stage.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#11Who else was supposed to play hedwig?
Posted: 10/18/16 at 10:11am

TheGingerBreadMan said: "I believe his reasoning was that as a cis actor, he does not feel that it is appropriate for him to play trans roles. "

Err, close. He actually said: "The thing about it is I don't want to get in drag for eight shows a week."

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#12Who else was supposed to play hedwig?
Posted: 10/18/16 at 10:20am

I don't remember who said it but didn't Pink come up as a rumor at some stage?

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#13Who else was supposed to play hedwig?
Posted: 10/18/16 at 10:50am

Bill O'Reilly.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#14Who else was supposed to play hedwig?
Posted: 10/18/16 at 4:41pm

RippedMan said: "I don't why he'd turn it down? It's not like he's at a place in his career to really originate a role? "

isn't it possible he has no interest in performing on broadway?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

BrightLights3
#15Who else was supposed to play hedwig?
Posted: 10/18/16 at 10:01pm

TheGingerBreadMan said: "I believe his reasoning was that as a cis actor, he does not feel that it is appropriate for him to play trans roles. "

He didn't say that about Hedwig. It was in the context of him possibly playing Dr. Frank N. Furter in Fox's RHPS.

Updated On: 10/19/16 at 10:01 PM

liliane12
#16Who else was supposed to play hedwig?
Posted: 10/19/16 at 9:59am

RippedMan said: "I wish we could get a Lena in NYC or near it. I'd love to see her and hear her vocals. Her voice. Damn. I think Lambert might have been pretty good, actually. I mean, we know he can sing it. But he started as a performer, so I think he could act it. I don't why he'd turn it down? It's not like he's at a place in his career to really originate a role? "

Maybe Adam was simply too busy being the frontman for Queen and touring the world with them. And then touring the world on his own as a solo artist and doing promo for his solo album. The guy's working non stop and his schedule is packed all year long. He might not be Adele but I'd say that he is in a place in his career right now where he's definitely qualified to originate a role on Broadway. Talent-wise, it is even more of a no brainer. Not many people could touch him when it comes to live vocals. It is a pity that he turned down both Hedwig and Dr. Frank-N-Furter, he would have been perfect for both.

Updated On: 10/19/16 at 09:59 AM

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#17Who else was supposed to play hedwig?
Posted: 10/19/16 at 10:08am

BrightLights3 said: "TheGingerBreadMan said: "I believe his reasoning was that as a cis actor, he does not feel that it is appropriate for him to play trans roles. "

He didn't say that about Hedwig. It was in the context of him possibly playing Dr. Frank N. Furter in Fox's RHPS.
"

And even then, he's still wrong. Laverne Cox notwithstanding, Frank N. Furter is a "sweet transvestite." Not transgender. (And before anyone butts it in: it does not erase transgender people to say this, it does not negate their existence, it does not belittle their cause. It is simply a statement of fact based on the material.)

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky