pixeltracker

HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Set for April 2018 Opening at the Lyric- Page 5

HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Set for April 2018 Opening at the Lyric

Jarethan
#100HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 12:36pm

yankeefan7 said: ""People interested in this play are already fans of Harry Potter and/or theatre. Hamilton brought in people who had never seen a musical before or thought they hated rap or didn't care about history. "

You are correct again, I don't see "Harry Potter" bringing people to the show that are not already fans.

I disagree.  I think all the press and excitement and announcements of records being broken before previews have even started will make it very much the event of the season.  if it gets the type of reviews it got in London and wins a bunch of Tony Awards, its all over.  There are a lot of people out there who may not be THAT familiar wth Harry Potter who will have a lot of interest in seeing the play.  And half of them will just assume it is a musical, given the likely producers, although I have read that the producers intent to keep prices reasonable, whatever that means these days.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#101HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 12:50pm

leighmiserables said: "talinatter said: "Does anyone sort of have any estimate of how much the tickets will cost for both part one and part two? I am assuming each ticket will be $300 ish as it is new and has so much buzz, so then $600 for part one and two together? Or am I totally missing the mark? "

It's one ticket for both parts, isn't it? 
"

One ticket will secure the same seat for both Part One and Part Two.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#102HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 1:00pm

Anyone who doesn't think this will be an outrageously enormous hit is insane.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#103HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 1:16pm

I saw the production in London last year and loved it! Center stalls (orchestra) seat was 95GBP per part.

Since they're pretty much bringing the same actors to be leads on Bway, I'll skip. I bet those premium seats will now cost at least $400 per part.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#104HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 2:40pm

I'm thrilled the original principle actors are opening the show. They're spectacular.

I'm very curious about the price point as I paid only £50 (roughly $75 at the time) for each show to sit in the equivalent of the mid-orchestra. I can't imagine there's any way they'll be offering tickets that low for seats that good on Broadway.

schubox
#105HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 2:44pm

I'm sure I'll end up seeing this, but isn't the story supposed to be pretty bad? I was going to read the script when it came out, but I heard it was bad 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#106HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 2:53pm

schubox said: "I'm sure I'll end up seeing this, but isn't the story supposed to be pretty bad? I was going to read the script when it came out, but I heard it was bad 

"

I read the script before watching the play and yes the story wasn't the best but the way they produced it at the Palace theatre in London was phenomenal. the magic tricks and acting were superb.

if there's a rush option I'd do it but since I've seen it London already I might wait until the replacement cast starts performing.

i think the best seats will be front mezz.

SeattleTraveler
#107HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 3:08pm

I went into it cold and loved it! I'd recommend against reading the script if you have likelihood of seeing it. It is much better live. I read the script afterwards, and when given the time, sure, it isn't the greatest, but the show is magical. 

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#108HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 4:47pm

schubox said: "I'm sure I'll end up seeing this, but isn't the story supposed to be pretty bad? I was going to read the script when it came out, but I heard it was bad "

I've been a Harry Potter fan for years and could hardly finish the script. Not only did the plot itself read like bad fanfiction, the amount of disregard for characterization was insane. Hermione and Draco were especially OOC. Not to mention it completely throws away the rules for time-turners that were established in the books...geeky issues, I know, but annoying for me and every other fan I've talked to. 

That being said, I had a friend who loves the series just as much as I do see it in London. She said the plot was almost unbearable but the performances and the special effects made up for it. I believe her exact words were, "As long as you don't think too hard about what's actually happening, it's a fun night out." 

bowtie7
#109HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 6:23pm

While the production hasn't announced ticket prices yet, based on the pricing in London and the shows desire to have affordable tickets available, one can assume that something similar will be the case in New York (though not quite as low as London as the operating costs will be much higher here). The complicated ticket purchase procedure (which has been used for other Ticketmaster venues) is probably the best practical way currently available to limit bulk buying of tickets for resale within the limits of local, state and federal laws. I personally think this is commendable, since they could have just priced the tickets at Hamilton levels and be done with it.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#110HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 7:29pm

leighmiserables said: "bdn223 said: " I wonder how Broadway's black and POC community overall will react if down the line the show wants to stunt cast someone like Evanna Lynch (Luna Lovegood from the films) or even Emma Watson if god forbid she has a downward career spiral over the next 5 years as Hermione.  I just wonder considering this is  post The Great Comet fiasco, and despite the multiple racial interpretations of the character, if the community will react similarly if Hermione was ever cast with a white actress. "

I doubt there'd be much backlash if that happened, solely because the vast majority of people who protested the TGC casting change were teenaged/young adult Hamilton/Oak fans (a good amount of theatre professionals made comments too, yes, but the ones who were attacking the show's creative team were teenagers). This show's intended demographic is teenagers/young adults, all of which would probably do anything to see Evanna or Emma live, even at the expense of kicking out the one actress of color in the cast. 

Plus of course, I'm sure the TGC fiasco is going to become producing folklore, a story told to aspiring producers about the dangers of having a bad PR team. "

I think that it's been established that Hermione is a POC in HPCC. Both full-time and understudy Hermiones have been POC. I doubt that they'll change that anytime soon.

Plus there are so many talented POC actresses that I doubt they'll run out of options nor will they need to  star cast for the money. And there's always the role of Ginny that they can give to any Harry Potter movie alum.

MinervaMoon Profile Photo
MinervaMoon
#111HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/3/17 at 10:39am

leighmiserables said: "bdn223 said: " I wonder how Broadway's black and POC community overall will react if down the line the show wants to stunt cast someone like Evanna Lynch (Luna Lovegood from the films) or even Emma Watson if god forbid she has a downward career spiral over the next 5 years as Hermione.  I just wonder considering this is  post The Great Comet fiasco, and despite the multiple racial interpretations of the character, if the community will react similarly if Hermione was ever cast with a white actress. "

I doubt there'd be much backlash if that happened, solely because the vast majority of people who protested the TGC casting change were teenaged/young adult Hamilton/Oak fans (a good amount of theatre professionals made comments too, yes, but the ones who were attacking the show's creative team were teenagers). This show's intended demographic is teenagers/young adults, all of which would probably do anything to see Evanna or Emma live, even at the expense of kicking out the one actress of color in the cast.
"

Are we talking like 20 years down the line when these actors are old enough to play the character? Their teenage fans today aren't going to be teenagers any longer. Besides which, even today, it's teenagers and young adults who are most likely to raise issues of racial dynamics. In the unlikely hypothetical scenario that on Broadway they change what the West End already established, there would certainly be pushback, even if it were a big name in the part. Hermione isn't the only actress of color in the cast, by the way.

Hamilton Emotional Support Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/hamiltonsupport/

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#112HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/3/17 at 11:08am

Based on what I saw in London, the issue that will most likely be raised could be along the lines of queerbaiting and the stereotypes we associate with friendships between men rather than racism. 

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#113HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/3/17 at 11:08am

Based on what I saw in London, the issue that will most likely be raised could be along the lines of queerbaiting and the stereotypes we associate with friendships between men rather than racism. 

99pandas
#114HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/3/17 at 4:10pm

Any guesses what the dates of the first block of tickets will be? The play opens in Spring 2018. Do you think tickets for Fall 2018 will be in the first block of tickets released? 

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#115HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/3/17 at 6:24pm

The wording of this on the website confuses me:

"If you are unsuccessful in securing tickets in this first release, please note that more tickets will become available with regular ticket releases."

Are they saying that more tickets will become available, with regular releases, as in, regularly releasing new blocks, or do they mean it by they're holding back tickets from the fan sale, so there'll be more for those dates, when it inevitably sells out? Writing this out now makes me think it is the latter. If so, that makes me a little less worried.

Notreallysilent 2
#116HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/3/17 at 7:14pm

In London, the show releases last minute tickets all the time. In fact generally you can find tickets for each performance 2-4 weeks in advance. I just assumed that's what they meant when they said that. In London they tend to mostly be premium seats with the occasional regular seats though. 

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#117HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/13/17 at 2:42pm

Does anyone know if there will be any presales on HARRY POTTER through AMEX, Ticketmaster or other sites?   I've not seen any mention of this.  FROZEN did presale through signing up for the Disney FROZEN website.   But not the POTTER website.  Not even a guarantee you'll even get a code to buy a regular ticket!

Updated On: 8/13/17 at 02:42 PM

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#118HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/13/17 at 3:11pm

This is what it noted on the HP offical website when you sign up for email updates:

Please note that signing up to our mailing list does not register you for Ticket Access. Registration is only available through Ticketmaster Verified Fan® which opens on October 1, 2017 at 10AM EDT.

So that would lead me to believe tickets go on sale Oct 1st??

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#119HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/13/17 at 3:15pm

^doubtful as they are going the "verified fan" route the same way as is Springsteen.

https://www.harrypottertheplay.com/us/

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

swanjewel Profile Photo
swanjewel
#120HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/13/17 at 3:57pm

I understood it as you pre-register on Oct 1st for a spot to buy tickets on Oct 12th. The email says tickets go on sale on Oct 12th. You can't buy tickets if you don't pre-register. Didn't they do something similar for the London production?

DrewJoseph
#121HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/13/17 at 5:45pm

I'm in nyc in april for just one saturday afternoon. So I could only watch part I and wouldn't be there for part II. Also won't be in nyc for probably at least a year after thatz Really want to see the original actors, but should I do it if I only could do part I? 

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#122HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/13/17 at 6:14pm

DrewJoseph said: "I'm in nyc in april for just one saturday afternoon. So I could only watch part I and wouldn't be there for part II. Also won't be in nyc for probably at least a year after thatz Really want to see the original actors, but should I do it if I only could do part I? "

So, Saturday is a two part day with Part 1 at 2pm and Part 2 at 7:30pm. To just clarify, you would only be available to see Part 1 at 2pm but not Part 2 at 7:30pm?

The first time I saw the production, I did the Thursday-Friday split parts. Honestly, the cliffhanger between the two parts, really does make you want to see Part 2 as soon as you can.

That said, because the preference is to have both parts purchased together, it will probably be most difficult to get a ticket for just one part, especially so early in the run. It would probably be easier for Part Two, as if they do what they do in London... if you missed Part One, your ticket for Part Two goes to the cancellation line.

I would say, wait until you can see both parts together. The original cast is great, but if it's not feasible with your schedule, I would save your money for another show for your April trip.

DrewJoseph
#123HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/13/17 at 6:18pm

Thanks! Think thats what i will do. I live in europe, so london is a lot closer to home. Think I'll plan a little trip there :)

Notreallysilent 2
#124HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/13/17 at 7:53pm

I don't think you can buy just part 1 on s Saturday. You can only buy one part either on Wednesday or Thursday/Friday. If you want to go on Saturday you'll have to pay for both parts, and just not go to part 2 at night.