pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 3:18pm

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16 Click below to access all the grosses from all the shows for the week ending 12/11/2016 in BroadwayWorld.com's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance was: THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (11.4%), IN TRANSIT (11.2%), CATS (10.3%), WAITRESS (9.2%), THE COLOR PURPLE (8.5%), HEISENBERG (7.7%), HOLIDAY INN (7.4%), THE LION KING (7.2%), FIDDLER ON THE ROOF (7.2%), WICKED (7.2%), FALSETTOS (5.7%), ON YOUR FEET! (5.4%), CHICAGO (5.1%), SCHOOL OF ROCK (5.0%), JERSEY BOYS (4.9%), PARAMOUR (4.9%), THE FRONT PAGE (3.3%), ALADDIN (3.1%), THE HUMANS (2.9%), MATILDA (2.7%), DEAR EVAN HANSEN (2.6%), NATASHA, PIERRE & THE GREAT COMET OF 1812 (2.5%), BEAUTIFUL (2.2%), THE ENCOUNTER (2.0%), A BRONX TALE THE MUSICAL (1.8%), OH, HELLO ON BROADWAY (0.7%), HAMILTON (0.2%),

Down for the week by attendance was: THE ILLUSIONISTS - TURN OF THE CENTURY (-8.8%), SOMETHING ROTTEN! (-4.6%), KINKY BOOTS (-4.2%), LES LIAISONS DANGEREUSES (-0.2%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 3:24pm

My, In Transit comped heavily for reviewers' week...

Willie4316
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 3:25pm

Aside from In Transit, an overall good week. 

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 3:26pm

How often do Broadway shows comp tickets? 

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 3:28pm

The sleeper story that is "A Bronx Tale" is interesting to me.
It's barely on my radar and gets almost no buzz or talk here, but it's consistently been filling the house (almost) and last week took in just shy of $1M in a smallish house.

Updated On: 12/12/16 at 03:28 PM

littlemouse921 Profile Photo
littlemouse921
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 3:35pm

Another pretty stellar week for Jersey Boys! What a good note to go out on!

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 3:35pm

Does anybody know how close On Your Feet! is to recouping? Seems like they have consistently been making money, I know their running cost is higher than the average show, but just curious how close they are.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 3:37pm

The holidays ??

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Jarethan
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 3:41pm

The grosses this week are nothing short of amazing for a non-holiday winter week.  Not that long ago, everything but the big hits would be playing to half-empty theaters for the weeks leading up to Christmas.  I don't see that this counts as a holiday week.  Was the weather milder than usual?

neonlightsxo
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 3:42pm

MarkBearSF said: "The sleeper story that is "A Bronx Tale" is interesting to me.
It's barely on my radar and gets almost no buzz or talk here, but it's consistently been filling the house (almost) and last week took in just shy of $1M in a smallish house.
"

I'm surprised by it as well, but I feel like there's at least one every year that I really miss. ABT seems to be getting that coveted bridge and tunnel Jersey Boys audience. I hadn't seen that coming.

"I don't see that this counts as a holiday week. Was the weather milder than usual?"

Hmm, no on the weather, this weekend was quite cold. I do think we're still benefiting from the tourist crowds, though. I feel like the past few years the holiday tourism runs from Thanksgiving all the way through New Year's, at least for the most part. This is not scientific, just based on commuting and working in Midtown.

Updated On: 12/12/16 at 03:42 PM

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 3:46pm

Three shows sold more than 100% of its seats for the week: Hamilton, Book of Mormon and Dear Evan Hansen. The week between XMAS and New Year's should be wild. Watch what happens to the average price paid per ticket.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 3:46pm

There are an ungodly number of tourists in town right now. Not sure why.

neonlightsxo
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 3:47pm

It will go up. Is that wild?

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 3:50pm

neonlightsxo said: "Hmm, no on the weather, this weekend was quite cold. I do think we're still benefiting from the tourist crowds, though. I feel like the past few years the holiday tourism runs from Thanksgiving all the way through New Year's, at least for the most part. This is not scientific, just based on commuting and working in Midtown."

I had to stay overnight from Tuesday into Wednesday for business last week and I couldn't find a decent (three star or better) hotel room in Manhattan for less than $700 a night... needless to say, I didn't stay. I'm not sure if something(s) special happened in the city last week, because I checked hotel prices for this week and they seemed much less extreme. Looking at these grosses, though, maybe it was just a huge week for tourism.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 4:00pm

Kinky Boots is doing surprisingly well too. Looks like the YouTubers made their way to the theater to see Todrick

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 4:07pm

"There are an ungodly number of tourists in town right now. Not sure why."

The economy is doing much better than the Right would have you believe, thanks to the Obama administrations policies, fixing the debacles of the Bush administration.

Personally, I think tourists are a good argument for recession...

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 4:17pm

Agreed, Hogan. I took Mom to Holiday Inn for her birthday on Saturday and we could barely even walk through Rockefeller Center. There were just SO many people...

And another 100 people just got off of the train...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

vampire musical
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 4:39pm

I think with the zika concerns in the Caribbean/South America and attacks in Europe more tourists are choosing New York.  

@z5
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 10:02pm

Happy to see Bronx Tale doing very well - I did enjoy it.

VintageSnarker
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 10:19pm

I didn't expect Natasha Pierre and A Bronx Tale to do this well. I hate buying tickets way in advance but I do want to be able to get a good seat for Amelie, Anastasia, and War Paint.

Is Waitress selling out anymore? SRO doesn't seem like a good bet. I might just cave and go for one of the discount codes. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 10:26pm

VintageSnarker said: "I didn't expect Natasha Pierre and A Bronx Tale to do this well. I hate buying tickets way in advance but I do want to be able to get a good seat for Amelie, Anastasia, and War Paint.

Is Waitress selling out anymore? SRO doesn't seem like a good bet. I might just cave and go for one of the discount codes. 

"

The discount codes out there now are quite good for Waitress. I'd jump on them. 

KathyNYC2
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/12/16 at 11:52pm

VintageSnarker said: "I didn't expect Natasha Pierre and A Bronx Tale to do this well. I hate buying tickets way in advance but I do want to be able to get a good seat for Amelie, Anastasia, and War Paint.

"

There is almost always standing room every Friday and Saturday night and often for Sat matinee. Not for the other shows.

Sammytravels
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/13/16 at 1:34am

Something Rotten isn't having the the great last few weeks as I hoped. Only In-Transit had a lower percentage of gross potential for a musical. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/13/16 at 8:59am

Sammytravels said: "Something Rotten isn't having the the great last few weeks as I hoped. Only In-Transit had a lower percentage of gross potential for a musical. "

It is at or above where it has been for most of the year, and it is not losing money. It has exceeded expectations all along, Gross potential is a meaningless stat untethered to context. It has about 2 1/2 times as many seats to sell at In Transit, so the % can be less and it can still be fine. As a side note, I have never seen a show alter inventory as often as this one has.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/11/16
Posted: 12/13/16 at 10:06am

HogansHero said: "Sammytravels said: "Something Rotten isn't having the the great last few weeks as I hoped. Only In-Transit had a lower percentage of gross potential for a musical. "

It is at or above where it has been for most of the year, and it is not losing money. It has exceeded expectations all along, Gross potential is a meaningless stat untethered to context. It has about 2 1/2 times as many seats to sell at In Transit, so the % can be less and it can still be fine. As a side note, I have never seen a show alter inventory as often as this one has."

Hogan is correct. Gross potential is a relevant only within the context of the individual show, as it's used to calculate a recoupment schedule.  For example, it might take a show 35 weeks to recoup at 100% of gross weekly potential each week, and 60 weeks to recoup at 80%.  Also, shows have a break even point referable to gross potential (this is very vague because it's really not how profit is calculated so it's an approximation at best) but a show might need to do X% of its gross potential to break even.  

But as Hogan says, you can't judge how one show is doing v. another show based on comparing percentage of gross potential. One show might need to do 50% of gross to break even and another show might need to do 65% of gross to break even. 

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.