pixeltracker

Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?

Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?

mormonsandglindas
#1Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 1/6/17 at 2:47am

Do you think the set pieces and story could succcesfuly be adapted onto the stage? What do you think? 

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#2Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 1/6/17 at 2:59am

The story and score is beautiful on film, but wouldn't hold up onstage. The best parts of the film couldn't be replicated onstage.

theoriginoflove
#3Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 1/6/17 at 3:39am

I was thinking about that earlier. I would enjoy it very much but I don't know about everyone else.

The only thing I have to say is that Emma Stone would have to come back as Mia.

aaaaaa15
#4Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 1/6/17 at 8:37am

Don't think it would work anywhere near as well. The most impressive things about the movie would be difficult to impossible to reenact on stage. But if it did happen, I disagree about them needing to get Emma Stone. Plenty of theatre actresses who could do that role as well if not better. I think Gosling's old-Hollywood style of charisma would be harder to replace.

Updated On: 1/6/17 at 08:37 AM

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#5Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 1/6/17 at 8:39am

But of course, you KNOW somewhere down the line, somebody will attempt it.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#6Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 1/6/17 at 10:16am

The only good things about this movie are specific to the fillmmaking and the presence of Emma Stone. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#7Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 1/6/17 at 10:18am

This is one of those movies that's really meant to only be a movie. Being a movie is intrinsic to the whole thing.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#8Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 1/6/17 at 10:33am

I don't think so. Not without a major re-thinking.

I enjoyed the film but almost in spite of it being a musical. I ultimately found the story sweet and moving, but other than the Audition sequence,  I didn't feel like it really use a traditional musical theatre structure to tell the story through song.  Most of the heavy lifting was left to the non singing dramatic scenes with the musical numbers operating as sort of background fantasy.  This was of course by design - though I thought the movie would have been stronger if they had really committed to the musical concept and musicalized more dramatic moments.

I suppose this is something that could be potentially brought out in a stage musical, but the whole thing is an homage to film musicals, so I think that would be lost in translation as well. 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 1/6/17 at 10:33 AM

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#9Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 1/7/17 at 12:20pm

It could very easily be a stage show.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#10Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 1/7/17 at 12:31pm

They'd have to write a more interesting story and a full score if they ever wanted to do it. I'm sure there's been interest, but I don't think it would work at all. It's a tribute to old-school movie musicals with a wisp of a plot- putting it on stage would only take away what it is. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#11Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 1/7/17 at 2:33pm

I don't think that it would work. The reason why the movie works so well is because of the beautiful style of filmmaking, which would be nearly impossible to replicate on stage. The musical sequences are so specific to the dreamy, almost fantastical world that they transport the characters to, and would need major re-working to have the same impact on stage. This is the reason that it wouldn't be doable - re-working it would force it to lose its stylistic approach and would turn it into something that's far off from what the piece is intended to be. 

I agree that Ryan Gosling would be harder to replace than Emma Stone - there are countless actresses who could pull off Mia, but Sebastian requires a certain type of charm and "laid back-ness" while still being fully invested, and I can't think of any current musical theatre names who could do it. Of course, it's highly possible that there's an undiscovered actor out there somewhere who could be incredible, and it's unfair to say that nobody else could do it. 

VintageSnarker
#12Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 1/7/17 at 2:50pm

wonderfulwizard11 said: "They'd have to write a more interesting story and a full score if they ever wanted to do it. I'm sure there's been interest, but I don't think it would work at all. It's a tribute to old-school movie musicals with a wisp of a plot- putting it on stage would only take away what it is."

Yup. All of this. I think you could take the bare bones idea of the plot and some of the songs but compared to other properties, this one would be very difficult to just plop on stage. There's potential for a more interesting story if you just had a tighter script and better writing though I don't know if it would ever be anything remarkable. 

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#13Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 1/7/17 at 5:35pm

Same as with a movie version of DROWSY CHAPERONE. Sure it could be done, but should it be?

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#14Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 1/10/17 at 10:47pm

after seeing this a second and third time i actually think a stage version could work better than i thought after the first time i saw it. i think it could really be a fantastic dance-heavy show starring someone like Tony Yazbeck and Misty Copeland. I thought the dancing was more essential to the film overall than the singing was.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#15Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 8:40pm

This sounds encouraging, though of course we'll have to wait and see:

http://www.mtv.co.uk/la-la-land/news/la-la-land-is-set-to-become-a-stage-musical

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#16Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 11:21pm

I feel it would work despite the absence of the beautiful cinematography of the film.  The story is good, songs are also very good but will need a few more.  Dancing scenes could be equally effective if not better and the singing would definitely be better.  The big challenge is to find two actors with the same chemistry.  

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

StephieElise
#17Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 11:41pm

Funny that several people have said that they couldn't see it working without Gosling, as I've said that I actually would have loved to have seen Hugh Sheridan (an Aussie actor/singer) as Seb. Whether it would work on stage is another question...

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#18Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 3/5/17 at 2:23am

Interesting thought. I'm not hugely familiar with Hugh Sheridan, but seen in the light of your idea, this clip of him from that quirky 2015 opera miniseries 'The Divorce' almost seems like a parody of Sebastian's more pretentious moments :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfU_SKrgr5I

(Getting even more off-topic, if anyone cares, the miniseries itself is mildly amusing though very inconsequential; cast recording here: https://open.spotify.com/album/6PmCF7CG8oA6Kq7THrSCJu)

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#19Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 3/5/17 at 2:28am

My dreamcast for Seb and Mia has got to be Joshua Henry and Laura Dreyfuss 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#20Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 3/5/17 at 6:12am

I think that many scenes actually benefit from being on stage, they can do much more with the music, have better singers, and scenes like "Lovely Night Dance" can really work in theatre with the right setting, lighting etc. Theatre is per definition the perfect place to re-create this fantasy world.

Of course they woud need additional songs and approach certain scenes differently but there is definitely potential.

Updated On: 3/5/17 at 06:12 AM

LxGstv
#21Could La La Land be adapted into a stage musical?
Posted: 3/5/17 at 8:36am

I find it funny that the director himself said that it couldn't be adapted into Broadway, I don't agree with that statement... "Sunset Boulevard" isn't even a musical and they adapted to the stage, the idea that La La Land that's one step ahead and already has great music can't be adapted into the stage baffles me... yes, there are filmakimg achievements, but that's irrelevant, the word is adapting to the stage, not transferring...

Videos