pixeltracker

SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility- Page 4

SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#75SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 2:12pm

Wouldn't a diva want to win awards?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#76SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 2:13pm

...the producers feel this extremely limited, special run of Sunday stands most appropriately outside of any awards competition.  

It's a concert.  You all got ripped off.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#77SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 2:14pm

haterobics, that last comment reminded me of an anecdote: I just watched my DVD of Sondheim's birthday concert, and Patti LuPone sang "The Ladies Who Lunch" with some of the other female performers onstage. When she sang that line, she looked at Elaine Stritch, the latter of which gave the evil eye. It was hilarious. God rest her soul.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#78SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 2:17pm

I bought my tickets for the performances, not for sets or costumes. I knew going in that it wasn't going to be an extravagant production. I didn't get ripped off and still can't wait.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#79SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 2:17pm

skimbleshanks is being unbearable but i still am irked that they feel the need to use all-caps whenever they name a person or show. yes we know you're excited ANDY KARL in GROUNDHOG DAY and hope ORFEH KARL returns to broadway soon. stop shouting about it.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#80SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 2:20pm

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "haterobics, that last comment reminded me of an anecdote: I just watched my DVD of Sondheim's birthday concert, and Patti LuPone sang "The Ladies Who Lunch" with some of the other female performers onstage. When she sang that line, she looked at Elaine Stritch, the latter of which gave the evil eye. It was hilarious. God rest her soul."

Heh, she also hugged her right afterward! SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#81SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 2:34pm

You and all of your alternative facts.

Get an effing grip. It's just another awards show. Brava, Sunday in the Park with George (2017).

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim

SueBee06
#82SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 3:10pm

aaaaaa15 said: "Jake has one of the best reputations of young Hollywood actors in terms of personality. Knowing this along with his admiration for the theatre industry, I sincerely doubt that he is being a diva.

"I have the same doubts. I've never heard diva stories about him. And I don't think he's considered a theatre outsider at this point. He did Constellations and then shocked the hell out of everyone (or maybe just me) with Little Shop - both that he did an Encores Off-Center and that he did it so well.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#83SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 3:12pm

I know someone who had a scene with Jake in Southpaw, and diva is about as far as you can get from the stories he shared... which I, of course, won't repeat here. SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#84SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 3:29pm

Yeah, I did not read into this more than just for financial reasons, which make sense. Wasting almost 1 million dollars (comps + Tony campaign) for a possible Tony nom for Jake would just be dumb.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#85SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 4:21pm

This personally changed nothing on my opinion on the show. I'm going for performances by talented actors in a show I like.

Others have said similar, but the diva talk needs to be canned. This show is happening because of JG and his desire to do it. Yes, many choices have been made based on his schedule, but he's not some kind of malevolent puppet master.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#86SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 4:30pm

gypsy101 said: "skimbleshanks is being unbearable but i still am irked that they feel the need to use all-caps whenever they name a person or show. yes we know you're excited ANDY KARL in GROUNDHOG DAY and hope ORFEH KARL returns to broadway soon. stop shouting about it.

"

All-caps for a title of a play or novel is a traditionally accepted alternative for italics or underscore. Some of us get used to using all-caps at forums where italics, etc., aren't easily available.

As for posters' hats, ideally they should be replicated as they appear: all-caps or no caps or upper/lower.

AngelBaby Profile Photo
AngelBaby
#87SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 4:34pm

I am really excited for this Tony eligibility or no Tony eligibility. Is there a possibility that if it succeeds that the producers would consider extending the run and replace Jake Gyllenhaal with an actor of equal stature or is this strictly a 10 week engagement regardless of it's success. 

AEA AGMA SM
#88SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 4:43pm

1984 has already been announced as opening at the Hudson on June 22. So there is not a lot of room for this production to extend too much further, especially once you also factor in load-in, tech, and previews for 1984

AngelBaby Profile Photo
AngelBaby
#89SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 4:53pm

AEA AGMA SM said: "1984 has already been announced as opening at the Hudson on June 22. So there is not a lot of room for this production to extend too much further, especially once you also factor in load-in, tech, and previews for 1984

Oh, that's right. I overlooked 1984. Bummer. 

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#90SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 5:00pm

phan24 said: "Yeah, I did not read into this more than just for financial reasons, which make sense."

I completely agree. I wish this would happen more often for limited engagements that will not have an after-life in which they would benefit economically from the notoriety the Tonys provide, but alas, egos prevail. Awards aren't necessary to prove that art was made and that it mattered. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#91SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 5:41pm

He's a huge theater nerd! He's def not a diva. And because of him hundreds of people are employed.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#92SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 5:54pm

RippedMan said: "He's a huge theater nerd! He's def not a diva. And because of him hundreds of people are employed."

Exactly!

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#93SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 8:01pm

I posted this a little earlier today, but do you think this will have any effect on a cast album?

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

broadwayguy91
#94SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 8:30pm

CindersGolightly said: "I posted this a little earlier today, but do you think this will have any effect on a cast album?

"

I doubt it will,  if the producers wanted to record this cast for posterity, they would have already decided to do so regardless.

that being said... this production screams for a BroadwayHD filming. lol.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#95SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 8:46pm

If MERRILY at Encores! with a pre Hamilton LMM got recorded, I would be utterly shocked if this wasn't. Plus there's only two cast recordings of the score, which is considered by many to be Sondheim's masterpiece. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#96SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 8:46pm

Updated On: 2/3/17 at 08:46 PM

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#97SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 8:59pm

Understandably that Jake would want a shot at the Tony, who wouldn't?

This sends another message and that is how bloated the Tony awards are, why do you need a committee of 800 plus to decide if your show is worthy? A lot of these voters are from out of town tour theatres and not interested in the artistic merits of a show, but what will likely make up the next season package.

This is a good opportunity for the Tony committee to make changes and cut the amount of voters and give back what the Tony awards are for and that is a award for theatrical excellence in Broadway Theatre and not an expo.

Mike66
#98SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 9:45pm

Lavieboheme3090 said: "The art of making art. 

"

Perfect.

A tip of my cap in your direction....

m

earplug
#99SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:15pm

Is Hudson theater deemed an eligible Broadway theater?
According to the rules for Tony, Hudson is not listed as eligible theaters.
http://www.tonyawards.com/pdf/2016_Tony_Rules_Regulations_FINAL_v2.pdf
See page 22.

Updated On: 2/3/17 at 10:15 PM