pixeltracker

2017 Best New Musical - 4th slot- Page 2

2017 Best New Musical - 4th slot

Emmaloucbway
#252017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 3/29/17 at 9:35am

If the Groundhog Day reviews are similar to the raves of the London production, then it will take the 4th slot. If there's a fifth slot again this year I also think it will be Anastasia.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#262017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 3/29/17 at 9:53am

all this thread has accomplished is confirming that beyond the definites and the definitely nots there is no way of intelligently stating anything about the show(s) that will be nominated. When different people just in this microcosm are certain a given show will and will not be nominated, it's clear that the choice(s) will come down to the wire. 

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#272017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 3/29/17 at 10:22am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Why are several of you predicting A Bronx Tale as a possible nominee for Best Musical? The critical response wasn't that great (even though critics aren't on the nominating committee), and I also have no idea where else it could possibly show up on nomination morning. Maybe Featured Actor?

"

Since the Tonys have a New/Revival split in the top categories, shows are frequently nominated for Best Musical/Play without receiving any other nominations or getting just 1 or 2 additional. "Outside Mullingar" was nominated for Best Play and nothing else. "Annie" had the same fate in Musical Revival. "Bring it On" showed up in Best Musical, but its only other citation was Choreography. There are many more examples. If DEH, CFA, and Comet remain head and shoulders above the competition, then the 4th nominee may not get widespread tony love. I'm not currently betting on A Bronx Tale, but it could definitely show up in featured actor, choreography, scenic design depending on how the spring shows turn out. That would be more than plenty of other "bottom tier" best musical nominees get.

Cfried
#282017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 3/29/17 at 10:49am

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't rule A Bronx Tale out. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#292017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 3/29/17 at 11:18am

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Why are several of you predicting A Bronx Tale as a possible nominee for Best Musical? The critical response wasn't that great (even though critics aren't on the nominating committee), and I also have no idea where else it could possibly show up on nomination morning. Maybe Featured Actor?"

Since the Tonys have a New/Revival split in the top categories, shows are frequently nominated for Best Musical/Play without receiving any other nominations or getting just 1 or 2 additional. "Outside Mullingar" was nominated for Best Play and nothing else. "Annie" had the same fate in Musical Revival. "Bring it On" showed up in Best Musical, but its only other citation was Choreography. There are many more examples. If DEH, CFA, and Comet remain head and shoulders above the competition, then the 4th nominee may not get widespread tony love. I'm not currently betting on A Bronx Tale, but it could definitely show up in featured actor, choreography, scenic design depending on how the spring shows turn out. That would be more than plenty of other "bottom tier" best musical nominees get.
"

Don't forget that Alan Menken & Glenn Slater's last musical, Leap of Faith only received one Tony nomination for Best Musical back in 2012.

cb2addict2 Profile Photo
cb2addict2
#302017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 4/25/17 at 8:33am

bumping 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#312017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 4/25/17 at 8:57am

I will be shocked if it is not Groundhog Day or War Paint. I think Groundhog Day has the edge out of the two though.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 4/25/17 at 08:57 AM

thealtoslament Profile Photo
thealtoslament
#322017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 4/25/17 at 8:58am

Unless the reviews for Bandstand are amazing and no one's expecting it, I'm 90% Groundhog Day is getting the 4th slot.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#332017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 4/25/17 at 9:08am

With the NYT review, there's no way it'll be Anastasia. I think it's:

Come Far Away

Dear Evan Hansen

Groundhog Day

Great Comet

War Paint

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#342017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 4/25/17 at 9:25am

I know that critics don't vote for the awards, but I thought it would be interesting to compare how the musicals of the year have ranked so far with the actual critics (not including audience votes) on Show-Score to see what the general consensus was. Here are the scores as they stand:

Dear Evan Hansen: 88

Great Comet: 81

Come from Away: 77

Groundhog Day and Holiday Inn: tied at 71

War Paint: 68

Anastasia: 66

Bronx Tale: 64

In Transit: 61

Amelie: 55

Paramour: 48

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: 42

We'll know tomorrow night how Bandstand fares with the critics!

Mike66
#352017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 4/25/17 at 9:25am

DEH, winner

COMET

COME FROM AWAY

GROUNDHOG

if there is a fifth --- BRONX TALE

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#362017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 4/25/17 at 9:27am

Mike66 said: "DEH, winner

COMET

COME FROM AWAY

GROUNDHOG

if there is a fifth --- BRONX TALE

"

Agree 100%

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

Zimmy Profile Photo
Zimmy
#372017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 4/25/17 at 9:51am

djoko84 said: "From the early word from previews, War Paint, Amelie, and Charlie are duds. A Bronx Tale got mixed to bad reviews. Fourth slot will be between Groundhog Day and Anastasia. Both will get in if there are five. Best Musical Tony is between DEH and Come From Away.

"

I am in complete agreement here.

Trish2
#382017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 4/25/17 at 9:55am

I don't see why there wouldnt' be a 5th slot. I don't trust the "voting/tabulation" thing at all. It makes more PR sense all-around to have 5 musicals on the slate rather than just 4.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#392017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 4/25/17 at 11:07am

Trish2 said: "I don't see why there wouldnt' be a 5th slot. I don't trust the "voting/tabulation" thing at all. It makes more PR sense all-around to have 5 musicals on the slate rather than just 4."

Why does it make more sense?  And you don't "trust" it?  What's to trust?  It's the procedure as stated in the nominating rules.  We didn't get 5 nominees three years ago when Bridges COULD have been the 5th nominee, but did get one last year with Bright Star.  Why?  Because there were fewer than 3 votes between the 4th and 5th place vote getters.

loveinnewyorkcity Profile Photo
loveinnewyorkcity
#402017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 4/25/17 at 11:13am

I can't see War Paint sneaking its way into the fourth or fifth slot.

I'd agree and say DEH, Great Comet, and Come From Away are locks though. I see Groundhog Day as a potential lock for the fourth. 

Part of me is also not counting out Amelie. I think Phillipa is lock for Best Actress and who knows what voters are still riding out that Hamilton love.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#412017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 4/25/17 at 11:17am

Phillipa is not at all a lock for a Best Actress nod and Amelie is almost definitely not getting nominated for Best Musical. With such a crowded year, I wouldn't be surprised to see it shut out entirely. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#422017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 4/25/17 at 11:28am

loveinnewyorkcity said: "I can't see War Paint sneaking its way into the fourth or fifth slot.

I'd agree and say DEH, Great Comet, and Come From Away are locks though. I see Groundhog Day as a potential lock for the fourth. 

"Potential lock" is an oxymoron.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#432017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 4/25/17 at 11:47am

hork said: ""Potential lock" is an oxymoron."

Wrong. It totally has a guaranteed chance.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#442017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 4/25/17 at 12:38pm

Should be GROUNDHOG DAY considering the reviews ANASTASIA just got. I doubt BANDSTAND will get better reviews that what GROUNDHOG DAY got.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#452017 Best New Musical - 4th slot
Posted: 4/25/17 at 1:37pm

Groundhog Day

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George