What, No Bette?

Dollypop
#50What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 7:36am

Has it occurred to anyone that Rudin is actually doing this out of concern for the cast's safety? The "Hello, Dolly!" number is choreographed for that specific space at the Shubert Theater. One of the highlights of the number is the waiters leaping over the orchestra pit and landing on the ramp. Even the tiniest deviation in the space is jeapordizing the safety of the dancers. To do the number without the ramp is ludicrous. It didn't work at Foxwoods or at the Westbury Music Fair: two venues that didn't have the configurations for ramps.

Let Bette do "So Long Dearie".It's a number she can sell even in an arena like the Radio City Music Hall!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#51What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 7:44am

One can easily surmise that this is about Midler's stipulations, not Rudin.  I remember when Bacall appeared in the "Applause" numbers, but that same season Hepburn didn't attend the Tonys, and only allowed "Coco" to be shown in footage recorded at her theater.  That seems the precedent.  There's no way that Midler presenting an award serves as a replacement for her doing a number, turned out as Dolly.  She could do both, after all, as many have. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

rjm516
#52What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 8:15am

^ I really don't think that's the case, because a) there's no reason they have to do that number and b) if Pippin (or fill-in-the-blank much more physically difficult show) could do it in another theatre, and if Great Comet is going to, then Hello Dolly sure can.

bloomerific
#53What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 8:20am

chernjam said: "PalJoey said: " 

It's worse PR this way. The first sour note this production has hit.

"

Well, that and the lack of interviews..

And the ridiculous blackout of social media for the cast. So silly. 

"

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#54What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 11:51am

Shows re-choreograph their dances / staging for special performances all the time.  

That excuse seems weak.

I'm with PJ on this one:  it's a sour note for this production.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#55What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 11:54am

I agree- it is a really lovely production, but this (along with the absurdly high ticket prices) is unpleasant. No reason they couldn't find a way to restage the number- almost every show on the Tonys needs to. What makes them so special? 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ren598
#56What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 12:00pm

If the cast of Falsettos, a show that closed in January, can reunite to perform on the Tony telecast, they really have no excuse.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#57What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 12:12pm

Auggie27 said: "One can easily surmise that this is about Midler's stipulations, not Rudin.  I remember when Bacall appeared in the "Applause" numbers, but that same season Hepburn didn't attend the Tonys, and only allowed "Coco" to be shown in footage recorded at her theater.  That seems the precedent.  There's no way that Midler presenting an award serves as a replacement for her doing a number, turned out as Dolly.  She could do both, after all, as many have. 

"

There is no such stipulations.  Midler trusts her producers and will do what they advise.  I am with PJ on this one as well.   A sour note for this production.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 5/30/17 at 12:12 PM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#58What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 12:33pm

Well I'm sure Bette will get her Tony just because this year is a somewhat weak field for eligible females. But I am afraid these shenanigans will hurt Gavin Creel's chances and that's a damned shame.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#59What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 1:01pm

Well, people are talking about the production again, aren't they?

Will Bette perform? Tune in to find out!

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#60What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 1:28pm

Does anyone seriously believe that if Midler wanted to do a number live from Radio City, they would refuse her? I have no idea what we're arguing about here.  It's a bad decision, however it was determined. "Penny...", an in-one song no one knows, as a representative of this already legendary production is a dreadful idea. A "Dolly" sans Dolly -- and an event Dolly at that -- is a ludicrous way to serve the show's success or introduce it to the (paying) audience.  I'd bet money this will be resolved in 48 hours. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#61What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 1:54pm

When does TONY voting close anyway?

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#62What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 1:58pm

I'd bet money this will be resolved in 48 hours. 

Agree.  (and hope so)

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

MoveOnGypsy Profile Photo
MoveOnGypsy
#63What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 2:16pm

poisonivy2 said: "Well I'm sure Bette will get her Tony just because this year is a somewhat weak field for eligible females. But I am afraid these shenanigans will hurt Gavin Creel's chances and that's a damned shame."

This has nothing to do with Gavin's chances. What gives you that impression?!

bear88
#64What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 2:16pm

I agree that the impasse likely to be resolved soon, because the alternative would make everyone look terrible. My guess is that Midler performs another song from the show, perhaps with something else that features her co-stars.

Both sides were leaking information to the Times, I assume, thinking it will put pressure on the other. The "Penny in My Pocket" plan is such a blatant negotiating gambit that it's hard to take it seriously.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#65What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 2:17pm

Gavin is a perfect Cornelius, but he's not taking the Tony over Lucas Steele anyway, in my opinion at least. 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#66What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 2:24pm

I admit my first thought was CZJ, too, and that she doesn't want to perform in that barn of Radio City, 3x the size of the theatre she's in now. Whether it's her nerves or Rudin trying to create mystery and continue to drive interest, it reeks of smugness.

Every show is best served in their own theatre - what on earth makes this show different? And if it's the safety of that number, then do PARADE.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#67What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 2:30pm

Hasn't Bette done tours in front of Arena sized crowds? I'm pretty sure she's not nervous of the size of radio city.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

AEA AGMA SM
#68What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 2:31pm

Skimbleshanks2 said: "When does TONY voting close anyway?"

In the past ballots had to be submitted a week before the telecast, and I assume that holds true for this year as well.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#69What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 4:03pm

$20 bucks says after all this hoopla, she opens the show.

Brilliant move, peak performance time, and it gets Spacey out having to do the traditional song and dance monologue opener. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#70What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 4:24pm

I have to admit I was being sarcastic about hoping Bette and the production do not perform on the Tonys. True they are not obligated to perform on the show, but if you ask me (and I know you didn't, ha) this all smells like a finely timed stunt to generate even more publicity for the show (as if it needs it).

If Bette and company wind up performing on the telecast that is great.

If they wind up opting out of performing then it's just plain bad business.

I'm hoping they perform.

neonlightsxo
#71What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 4:27pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Gavin is a perfect Cornelius, but he's not taking the Tony over Lucas Steele anyway, in my opinion at least. "

It is my opinion that I hope you don't have any money on that.

bwaydreamer
#72What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 5:46pm

Bette won't be performing, she won't risk the live aspect in a space where she and the producers don't have complete control. She does the whole show with an ear piece in for christ's sake.  They are trying to avoiding a CZJ moment understandably, but it is sad that it won't be recorded for history on the tony's as she obviously could do it and sound great.  Very odd to do Hello Dolly without Dolly.

Liza's Headband
#73What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 5:49pm

neonlightsxo said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "Gavin is a perfect Cornelius, but he's not taking the Tony over Lucas Steele anyway, in my opinion at least.

"It is my opinion that I hope you don't have any money on that."

LOL.  I love you 

billyelliotfan123
#74What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 6:02pm

I