pixeltracker

Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical? - Page 2

Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#25Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 10:00am

Forum: 2015 Two River Theater (Red Bank, NJ)

Assassins: 2004 Broadway revival, 2016 Princeton Summer Theater (Princeton, NJ)

A Little Night Music: 2003 NYCO production (Jeremy Irons, Juliette Stevenson, etc), 2009 Broadway revival (once with CZJ/Lansbury; 3x with Bernadette/Stritch), 2013 Arden Theatre Company (Philadelphia)

Sunday: 2008 Broadway revival, 2016 City Center concert

Into the Woods: 2002 Broadway revival

Company: 2006 Broadway revival, 2011 NY Philharmonic concert

Follies: 2007 Encores (2x), 2011 Broadway revival (2x)

Sweeney Todd: 2005 Broadway revival: (3x, including closing night)

Pacific Overtures: 2004 Broadway revival

Merrily: Have never seen on stage, but will be seeing the Huntington production (Boston) in September

Passion: 2005 Lincoln Center concert (LuPone, McDonald, Cerveris), 2013 CSC revival, 2015 Arden Theatre Company (Philly)

Road Show: 2008 Public Theater (NYC)

Sondheim on Sondheim: Original Broadway production

Gypsy: 2003 Broadway revival, 2007 Encores Summer Stars, 2008 Broadway revival, 2017 Arden Theatre Company (Philly)

West Side Story: 2009 Broadway revival, 2017 Media Music Theatre (Media, PA)

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 7/17/17 at 10:00 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#26Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 10:27am

Assassins: 2017 Encores

Anyone Can Whistle: 2010 Jermyn Street Theatre revival (London)

A Funny Thing Happened: n/a

A Little Night Music: 2009 revival

Sunday: 2008 revival, 2016 Encores concert

Into the Woods: 2012 Shakespeare in the Park, 2015 Fiasco production

Company: 2006 revival, 2011 NY Philharmonic

Follies: 2011 revival

Pacific Overtures: 2017 CSC

Merrily: 2012 Encores

Passion: n/a

Sweeney: 2005 revival, 2017 Off-Broadway revival

Road Show: n/a

Saturday Night:  2014 York Theater Company (Mufti series)

The Frogs: n/a

Gypsy: 2008 Revival

West Side Story: n/a

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

bekk99 Profile Photo
bekk99
#27Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 11:07am

Assassins: New Line Theatre (regional)

Anyone Can Whistle: n/a

A Funny Thing Happened: Indiana University

A Little Night Music: 2009 revival

Sunday: 2008 revival, Repertory Theatre of St. Louis (regional), 2016 Encores concert, 2017 revival

Into the Woods: University of Missouri, 2015 Fiasco production, BAM Reunion

Company: 2006 revival

Follies: 2011 revival (NYC and LA), Repertory Theatre of St. Louis (regional)

Pacific Overtures: 2017 CSC

Merrily: n/a

Passion: n/a

Sweeney: 2005 revival

Road Show: n/a

Saturday Night:  n/a

The Frogs: n/a

Gypsy: 2008 Revival, The Muny

West Side Story: The Muny

Sondheim on Sondheim: 2010 Broadway

Jarethan
#28Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 11:26am

West Side Story:

-- Lincoln Center Summer Theatre - 1968(?) -- A

-- 1973 Production at the Minskoff -- B (from seeing the movie too many times, I was restless during several of the dance numbers

-- Tampa,  Florida -- National touring company 5 - 6 years ago -- B.  Realized, admittedly sacrilegiously, that I don't enjoy the opening number and the Dance at the Gym.  I have never liked Jazz and I guess they are too jazzy for me.

-- Sarasota, Florida -- Asolo Theatre production in 2016 -- B

A Funny Thing Happened:

-- Phil Silvers revival (2 times) -- A (one of the most fun evenings I have ever had in the theatre.  I still remember 'Everybody Ought to Have a Maid' as if I saw it last night

-- Nathan Lane revival (2 times) -- A-.  I love Nathan Lane, but he was not quite as good as Silvers.

Gypsy:

-- Angela Lansbury production (once in Boston, three times in NYC including closing night) -- A+ (Lansburys remains the single greatest performance I have seen in a musical)

--  Angela Lansbury -- Westchester Premiers Theatre -- C.  Wreaked of bad Summer Stock, although she was still great.  (The tacky vaudeville numbers actually seemed current in that production)

-- Tyne Daly production -- B.  I was unexpectedly disappointed in Tyne Daly's performance.  I thought it was just too shrill.

-- Bernadette Peters -- B+.  I think Bernadette got a lot of unfair press on this.  She was excellent.  Her Rose's Turn was great.

Do I Hear A Waltz:

-- Original Production -- B-.  I as probably a little too young for this...probably 14 or 15, and I was not expecting the small production that it was, which was disappointing at the time.  But Elizabeth Allen was charming and the score was very good.  I still listen to the original cast recording once in a while.  I do not think it is revivable beyond Encores and maybe some adventurous summer stock company.

Follies:

-- Original production -- A+.  Once in Boston, 4 times at the Winter Garden.  Remains the single greatest musical performance in my lifetime.  Among the songs replaced after Boston were Uptown / Downtown (Lucy and Jessie) and Boy, Can That Boy Foxtrot (I'm Still Here).  Both excellent in the first place, both improved upon, particularly I'm Still Here.

-- Carnegie Hall -- A.  Exciting, but some of the performers were lacking, probably chosen for their stardom rather than their merit.

-- Original London Production -- B.  Three times.  I was traveling to London on business a lot, so I kept trying to fall in love with this version.  Just not as good.  Three or four key songs replaced, in every case a letdown vs. the original, though still entertaining.  

-- Belasco Theatre version -- C.  Made me question whether Follies was a great musical or simply the beneficiary of a legendary production.

-- Encores -- A.  Thrilling.  Maybe the way all future productions of Follies should be.  Donna Murphy gave the best performance in any production of Follies that I have seen.  Talk about a star performance...this is addressed to all the idiots not buying tickets to Hello Dolly.

-- Kennedy Center version -- B.  Saw it twice.   Made me realize that Follies may not be a great musical, but can be enhanced by a great production, which this was not (and the original was the greatest production of any musical I have ever seen -- which sets the bar pretty high).  The book is just not up to Sondheim's score, and I am sick of Too Many Mornings and The Road You Didn't Take.  There were several cast deficiencies (IMO, Jan Maxwell was terrible...ruined Lucy and Jessie although her How Could i Leave You was solid.  Her acting paled next to Alexis Smith, Donna Murphy, Diana Rigg.

Company:

-- Original production -- B+.  Saw it three times, but always thought it was only a B+.  I attribute it to George Furth's book, which I thought was dated the day the show opened.  Maybe hackneyed is a better term.  I think that it would have been better if Prince had directed it AFTER Evita and Phantom, which had such a cinematic feel.  He could have applied some of the techniques he used to make it seem not so episodic.  (And Larry Kert was much better than Dean Jones).

-- Kennedy Center -- B.  Was as good as the original production.  The book just seemed worse.

-- Roundabout -- B.  Same comments.  There was a lot of bad press about Boyd Gaines' voice not holding up, but he was in great voice when I saw it.

-- John Doyle Production -- A-.  Definitely saw a sizable improvement vis-a-vis the book.  Maybe it was simply his approach, but I felt that a lot of Furth's issues were not there.

-- I know I saw it at least one more time, but can't remember where; must not have been memorable.

A Little Night Music:

-- Original Broadway Production -- A.  Saw this 4 times.  Intensely disliked it the first time, and have come to realize that I enjoy his shows much more when I am familiar with the score and lyrics going in.  Once familiar, I loved it the next three times.

-- London Production -- A.  To me, Judi Dench and Glynis Johns gave totally different performances, and both were incredible.

-- Kennedy Center -- B+.  I did not think the case was as good as it could have been.  Right now, I can't remember who was in the leads, other than Blair Brown, who was missing something.

-- Ritz Theatre -- B.  Saw it with both casts.  Interestingly, I enjoyed Peters and Stritch more that Jones and Lansbury.  I say this because I was always a huge fan of Lansbury's and not do much of Stritch.  Its is not like she actually had a large portfolio of lead roles, after all.  She benefitted from living as long as she did.  And I thought she was terrific in this, played the role differently from anyone else I had seen.  Peters did Send in the Clowns better than anyone else, including Dench IMO.  -- Boston 2015 -- A.  Hayden Gwynn was the best Desiree I have seen to date.  The production itself was not as good as the original, but it was damned good.

Pacific Overtures:

-- Original Broadway production at the Winter Garden.  C.  I just couldn't get into this show.  Even after listening to the album, I still didn't have any interest in seeing it again, although that may have been due to its closing date.

Sweeney Todd:

-- Angela Lansbury / Len Cariou -- A+.  Perfection.  Have to admit that I didn't know what to make of it the first time I saw it in a late previews, because I was alone and had no-one to discuss it with.  But it was thrilling and it was very clear that the production was going to be hailed as a landmark.

-- Circle in the Square -- B+.  A good production that showed that Sweeney could be done more economically and cold still make a good production.  No one in the cast came close to the originals, however.

-- Kennedy Center -- A.  Almost as good as the original.  Mitchell and Baranski both would have won Tony's if they originated the roles.  Not the scale of the original production, but felt very much like it.

-- John Doyle version.  A.  Two times in 3 days.  An incredibly original production with a cast that was nothing short of miraculous.  I was sitting very close and had a headache by the end of the show that I attribute to jerking it constantly, in order to miss nothing on the actors' faces.

Merrily We Roll Along:

-- The original production -- F-.  It was so bad that I didn't even realize how good the score is.  Absolutely, the worst evening of the theatre associated with Sondheim.  I have tickets to see it in Boston in September...am hoping for an awful lot, based on the reviews.

SITHWG:

-- Original production from second row center at the Booth and hated it -- D- the first time.  Became familiar with the score, and went back.  Still only a B.  I actually thought some of the songs by minor characters in the first act were boring, and it still seemed cold to me, even with Bernadette Peters wonderful performance.

-- Roundabout Revival -- A.  This remains one of the best performances I have seen of a Sondheim show.  It was perfection.  This contained all the warmth that the original production was missing.  If I really didn't like Act 2 in the original production, I thought it made this production.  Act 2 was just a revelation for me.  I saw it 3 times during its limited engagement, since -- luckily -- I was working in NYC for awhile while it was open, even though I was not living in the NYC area.

-- Boston 2016 -- B.  This may be a case of inadequate leads.  IT was just lacking.  SITPWG is an incredibly demanding show...it demands a great cast.

Into The Woods:

-- Original production -- D.  I just got tired of this show.  If I heard 'Into the woods, the woods, the woods' one more time, I was convinced that I was going to scream at the top of my lungs.  (Also felt this every time the case started singing 'Merrily We Roll Along' during that interminable show).  I purchased the CD and listened to it a number of times, but never grew fond of it.  As a result, I have never had any interest in seeing it again.

Assassins:

-- The Roundabout production.  D.  The only Sondheim show I ever walked out of.  I was not offended, I just didn't get it.  I never even purchased the CD.  Doubt that I will ever see this again...had I been in NYC, I would not have found the time to see the Encores production, due to other opportunities and lack of interest.

Passion:

-- I also didn't like this show.  D.  I was bored, never warmed up to the score.  Never have had any interest in seeing it again, not that there have been opportunities for someone who gets to NYC 2 or 3 times a year.

Did Not See:

-- Frogs

-- Anyone Can Whistle.  I have played the CD countless times and would love to see a production of this some day.  I suspect that I would like it a lot, based on my love of the score.

-- Bounce and its many title variations.

I concluded a while ago that Sondheim started getting too 'esoteric' for me somewhere after he parted ways with Prince.  I don't know whether he would have had a different body of work or not had they remained together, but I did not like the body of work, with the exception of SITPWG.  With this in mind, I can't wait to see Bunuel, and I have every expectation that I will not like it and not like the cast recording;  I really hope I am wrong, since he is the composer / lyricist of 4 or 5 of my favorite musicals ever: A Funny Thing Happened, Follies, A Little Night Music, Sweeney Todd, and SITPWG.

Updated On: 7/17/17 at 11:26 AM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#29Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 11:38am

The only ones I haven't seen live are Company, Frogs, Saturday Night, Marry Me a Little and Road Show (though I unfortunately did see Bounce).  I've seen all three televised versions of Company, though, so I don't feel particularly compelled to see small local productions of it.  I've performed Forum and Sweeney Todd as well.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

mpd4165
#30Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 11:40am

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum 
- No

Anyone Can Whistle
- No

Company 
-  First the Raul Esparza revival on PBS, then live at Writers Theatre in wonderful production last spring.

Follies 
-  Missed this at Chicago Shakes and it's a big regret. 

A Little Night Music
- No 

Pacific Overtures 
- No

Sweeney Todd 
-Doyle's revival on Tour
-Porchlight Theatre in Chicago

Merrily We Roll Along
-  There's an upcoming production in Chicago and I will be able to check this off!

Sunday in the Park With George
-  Chicago Shakes

Into The Woods
-  First in college and did NOT like it. Then saw The Hypocrites' radical re-imagining of it and fell in love.

Assassins  
- A great non-eq production at Kokandy Productions.
Passion 
- Theo Ubique's production a few years ago. Not crazy about it, but the Fosca was incredible.

Road Show
- Chicago Shakes

Gypsy
- Chicago Shakes

West Side Story
-National Tour of revival

Other/Optional (include revues, Saturday Night, The Frogs & Bounce here)

Sondheim on Sondheim
At Porchlight

Marry Me a Little
-At Porchlight

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#31Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 11:52am

Saturday Night and Frogs count!!!  

Assassins: 2003 Revival, 2017 Encores

Anyone Can Whistle: Nope

A Funny Thing Happened: 1996 Revival

A Little Night Music: City Opera production in 1991, I think, and 2009 revival

Sunday: 2008 revival, 2016 Encores concert

Into the Woods: Original Broadway, Broadway Revival and Shakespeare in the Park

Company: 2006 revival

Follies: Encores, 2011 revival (as well as in DC)

Pacific Overtures: Roundabout Revival

Merrily: 2012 Encores

Passion: CSC Revival

Sweeney: 2005 revival, 2013 London Revival

Road Show: Nope

Saturday Night:  Nope

The Frogs: Nope

Gypsy: Daly, Peters and Lupone

West Side Story: Last Revival

Revues and Such: Sondheim on Sondheim, Putting It Together, was in a production of Side By Side (does that count??).  I also saw Opening Doors at Zankel Hall and, as a teenager, I saw Sondheim do a poetry reading of his lyrics at Seton Hall University.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#32Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 12:00pm

I forgot about Opening Doors. I saw that one as well.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#33Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 12:07pm

Anyone Can Whistle
- 1980 York Theatre
- 2010 Encores! 

Assassins  
- 1990 Playwrights Horizons
- 2004 Broadway

Bounce/Road Show
- 2003 Goodman Chicago
- 2008 Public Theater NY

Company 
- 1976 regional production
- 1995 Roundabout
- 1996 London (Donmar)
- 2002 Kennedy Center
- 2006 Broadway Revival
- 2011 Philharmonic Concert 
A few other regional productions

Follies 
-1985 Lincoln Center (not really a production...)
-1998 Paper Mill
-2001 Roundabout
- 2007 Encores!
- 2011 Kennedy Center
- 2011 Broadway 

The Frogs
- 2004 Lincoln Center

- 1987 National Tour
- 1996 Broadway w/Lane
Several summer stock/regional productions

Into The Woods
- 1987 Broadway (a few times)
- 2002 Broadway
Several regional productions

A Little Night Music
- 1975 regional production
- 1983 National Tour (Cleo Laine)
- 1990 New York City Opera
- 1995 National Theatre UK
- 2002 Kennedy Center
- 2009 Broadway Revival 

Merrily We Roll Along
- 1994 York Theatre
- 2002 Kennedy Center
- 2002 Original Cast Reunion
-  2012 Encores!

Pacific Overtures 
- 1984 Off Broadway (Promenade)
- 2004 Roundabout

Passion 
- 1994 Broadway (three times)
- 2002 Kennedy Center

Sweeney Todd 
- 1983 regional production
- 1984 City Opera
- 1989 Broadway (Circle)
- 1993 National Theatre UK
- 2002 Kennedy Center
- 2005 Broadway Revival

Sondheim on Sondheim
2010 Original Broadway Production

- 1984 Broadway (many times)
- 2002 Kennedy Center
- 2008 Broadway Revival
- 2017 Broadway Revival 

Others
 - many productions of CandideGypsyWest Side Story

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#34Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 12:20pm

- my college (1999?). Not professional but I'm listing anyway :)

Anyone Can Whistle
- n/a

Company 
- n/a

Follies 
- n/a

A Little Night Music
- most recent Broadway revival, Berkshire Theatre Company, American Conservatory Theatre 

Pacific Overtures 
- n/a

Sweeney Todd 
- most recent revival tour, Sacramento Music Circus, outdoor production in Brooklyn, Barrow Street, Carnegie Hall concert

Merrily We Roll Along
-  n/a

- n/a

Into The Woods
- A LOT

Assassins  
- 2017 Encores! Off-Center

Passion 
- n/a

Road Show
- n/a

West Side Story
- my college, most recent revival tour

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#35Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 2:02pm

- Nathan Lane Broadway
Anyone Can Whistle
- New American Theatre, Rockford IL

Company 
- 2006 Broadway Revival
- 2012 Theater Latte Da, Mpls

- 2016 Minneapolis Musical Theatre

Follies 
- 2001 Broadway revival
- 2011 Chicago Shakespeare Theatre

A Little Night Music
- 2009 Broadway Revival 

Pacific Overtures 
2017 Classic Stage Company (Off-Broadway)

Sweeney Todd 
- 1982 National Tour (Angela Lansbury/George Hearn)
- 2005 Broadway Revival

- 2015 Theater Latte Da

Merrily We Roll Along
-  2001 Guthrie Theater

- 2008 Broadway Revival
- 2017 Guthrie Theater

Into The Woods
- 2001 Broadway revival

- 2012 Mu Performing Arts, St. Paul
- 2015 Theater Latte Da, Mpls.

Assassins  
- 1993 History Theatre, St. Paul

- 2004 Broadway revival

Passion 
- 1994 Broadway

Road Show
- 2003 Goodman Theatre (then called "Bounce"Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#36Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 2:54pm

I'm sure this is great fun for those of you who have been seeing Sondheim shows for a decade or two; but for some of us who saw our first Sondheim show over a half-century ago, this is like constructing a master's thesis. Whining over, here goes (professional productions only, even though I have seen excellent college productions of ASSASSINS and INTO THE WOODS):

West Side Story
- 1980 Jerome Robbins-directed revival

Gypsy
- Worked as production coordinator for the 1976-77 South Florida tour starring Angela Lansbury and using most of the Broadway company. (Yes, Angie was even better than what you've heard!)

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
- Worked as production assistant for 1975-76 South Florida tour starring Milton Berle and Jack Gilford

Anyone Can Whistle
- York Theatre production (1980?)

Evening Primrose
- Saw the TV production when it came out on DVD

Company
- Original Broadway Production (with Larry Kert and Jane Russell), 1971
- First National Tour (with George Chakiris), mid-1970s
- Equity Library Theater, late 1970s
- Darien Dinner Theater, late 1970s
- Reprise LA, late 1990s

Follies
- Original Broadway Cast, 1971 and 1972 (i.e., twice, a year apart)
- Long Beach Civic Light Opera, late 1980s?
- Reprise LA, late 1990s
- Ahmanson, LA, 2012

A Little Night Music
- Worked box office for final engagement of national tour (starring Jean Simmons, Hermione Gingold and George Lee Andrews), 1975
- Doolittle, LA, mid-90s

Pacific Overtures
- Off-broadway revival at Promenade Theatre, early to mid-1980s

Side by Side by Sondheim
- Original Broadway (British) Cast, 1977; Replacement Broadway (American) Cast, 1978
- Small venue tour (late 1980s)

Sweeney Todd
- Original Broadway Cast (many, many times), 1979-80
- City Opera Production, 1984
- Broadway Revival, 1989 (i.e., the Teeny Todd)
- Reprise LA (with Kelsey Grammar (God help us!) and a brilliant Neil Patrick Harris as Toby, 1990s

Merrily We Roll Along
- Original Broadway Cast (first and last previews), 1981
- Reprise, LA (York Theater revision), early 2000s

Sunday in the Park with George
- Workshop production at Playwright's Horizon (first act only), 1983?
- Original Broadway Cast, 1984, opening night and the longest night of my life (but I promised to stop whining, so never mind)

Into the Woods
- Original Broadway Production (Phylicia Rashad as the Witch), 1988
- First National Tour (Cleo Laine as the Witch), 1988 or 1989
- Fiasco Theater Tour, 2017

Assassins
- Los Angeles Production (LA Theatre Works), early 1990s
- Reprise LA (with several members of the original cast, including Patrick Cassidy and Annie Golden), early 2000s

Passion
- Original Broadway Cast, 1994

So, no, I have never seen a professional production of DO I HEAR A WALTZ?, THE FROGS, SATURDAY NIGHT or BOUNCE/ROAD KILL.

Updated On: 7/17/17 at 02:54 PM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#37Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 3:43pm

Company 
- Professional theatre production

Sweeney Todd 
- National tour of the John Doyle production
- College production
- Off Broadway revival at Barrow Street (x2)

- 2017 Broadway Revival 

Into The Woods
- College production
- 2 professional theatre productions

Assassins  
- 2017 Encores! Off-Center

West Side Story
- College production
- National tour of the most recent revival

Gypsy
- 2 professional theatre productions

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 7/17/17 at 03:43 PM

stage-n-screen
#38Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 3:47pm

Fun list to put together!

Saturday Night: Musical Theatre Guild in Thousand Oaks, CA (2002)

Gypsy: 1989 B'way revival

Forum:  1996 B'way revival

Anyone Can Whistle: Los Angeles Revival 2003

Company:  Original Cast Reunion in Long Beach, CA (1993); Long Beach Civic Light Opera revival; Roundabout revival (1996); NY Philharmonic concert performance

Follies: In Concert (1985); Paper Mill; East West Players (Los Angeles); Reprise! (Los Angeles)

A Little Night Music: NY City Opera; Huntington Theatre Company (Boston)

Pacific Overtures: Promenade Theatre (1984); Classic Stage Co. (2017)

Sweeney Todd: Circle in the Square (1989); NY City Opera; NY Philharmonic concert (Terfel/Thompson); Tooting Arts Club

Merrily:  West Coast Ensemble (Los Angeles - 2000)

Sunday:  Original B'way Cast; Huntington Theatre Company (Boston); City Center concert; 2017 Revival

Into the Woods:  Original B'way Cast; Los Angeles revival (2000), 2015 Fiasco/Roundabout

Assassins:  Original Playwrights Horizons; 1995 Lyric Stage (Boston)

Passion:  Original B'way Cast; CSC Revival 2013

Other:

The Frogs: NYU college production

Putting it Together:  Laguna Playhouse (CA), 2001

Consistency
#39Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 8:58pm

One of my “bucket list” items is to see a professional production of every Sondheim show. I’d prefer to see them all fully staged, but I’ll make exceptions for “Anyone Can Whistle,” “Do I Hear a Waltz,” “The Frogs,” and “Saturday Night.”

So far, out of 18 shows (I’m excluding revues), I’ve seen nine – and have tickets to see two more in the next few months.

West Side Story – 2013 Touring Broadway Cast (Salt Lake City) / 2016 Signature Theater (DC) –

The latter production was exceptional - immersive and moving in a way that made this well-worn material feel new. 

Gypsy – 2015 West End

A Funny Thing Happened… – (Only community theater productions so far)

Anyone Can Whistle – None

Do I Hear a Waltz? – None

Company – (Community theater only)

Follies – 2011 Kennedy Center

A Little Night Music – (tickets for Signature Theater production in August)

Pacific Overtures – 2017 Classic Stage Company (though I still hope to see a production of the full version someday.)  

Sweeney Todd – 2006 Broadway / 2017 Olney Theater (Maryland)

Doyle's version was my first Broadway show, and I found it pretty thrilling at the time. However, the Olney production (and several community theater productions) have reminded me how powerful a more traditional staging can be.

Merrily We Roll Along – (tickets for Boston’s Huntington Theater in October)

Sunday in the Park with George – 2014 Signature Theater (DC)  

Into the Woods – 2014 Utah Shakespeare Festival

Assassins – (community theater only)

Passion – 2015 Arden Theater (Philadelphia)

It's never been one of my favorite Sondheim scores, but the intimate and moody Arden production won me over. I found the last 30 minutes incredibly moving, and for the first time I really began to understand Fosca.

Road Show – 2016 Signature Theater (DC)

The score works a lot better in the context of the show (though I still don't think it's very good), but it all leaves me with a nagging feeling of "what's the point?" 

Others:

The Frogs – None

Saturday Night – None

Now that I live in a part of the country with a lot of theater options, I don’t think I’ll have to wait too long to see “Funny Thing,” “Company,” or “Assassins.” I might end up waiting a while for the last four though.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#40Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 10:22pm

Okay, turns out Newintown's listing is the one I can cut and paste easiest to match my own:

Anyone Can Whistle
- 1982 Berkshire Theater Festival 

Assassins  
- 1996 Knightsbridge Theater LA
- 2004 Broadway

Road Show
- 2008 Public Theater
- 2014 Chicago Shakespeare Co

Company 
- only show on the list I never saw live since the NPH TV broadcast doesn't count

Do I hear a Waltz 
- 2001 Pasadena Playhouse (Carol Lawrence)

Follies 
-1985 Lincoln Center (not really a production...)
-1988 West End Revisal
-2001 Roundabout
-2011 Chicago Shakespeare Co
- 2011 Kennedy Center

The Frogs
- 2004 Lincoln Center

- 1996 Broadway w/Lane

Gypsy
-1974 Broadway (Angela Lansbury)
-1990 Broadway (Tyne Daly)
-2003 Broadway (Bernadette Peters)
-2014 Chicago Shakespeare Co

Into The Woods
- 1987 Broadway (I drafted Rapunzel's original telescoping tower)
- 2002 Broadway

A Little Night Music
- 1973 Broadway (Glynis Johns)
- 1975 National Tour (Jean Simmons)
- 1990 New York City Opera
- 2009 Broadway Revival 

Merrily We Roll Along
- 2016 Wallis Center for Performing Arts (LA) directed by Michael Arden 

Pacific Overtures 
- 1976 Broadway out-of-town tryout in Boston
- 1984 Off Broadway

Passion 
- 1994 Broadway 

Saturday Night
- 2000 Second Stage

Sweeney Todd 
- 1979 Broadway
- 1989 Broadway (Circle in the Square)
- 2005 Broadway Revival

- 1984 Broadway

West Side Story
- 1980 Broadway
- 2009 Broadway bilingual (ugh)

Putting It Together
1998 Ahmanson Theater LA (Carol Burnett)

Side By Side By Sondheim
- 1977 Broadway 

Updated On: 7/17/17 at 10:22 PM

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#41Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/18/17 at 2:26pm

I have seen most of Sondheim's work, though I have to say my list wouldn't be anywhere near as complete if it were not for the Kennedy Center's 2002 Sondheim Celebration. Hopefully in the future more production companies will dedicate themselves to producing all of Sondheim's work. We can't see them if theaters aren't mounting them.

Company
1971 New York  - OBC

Follies
1972 Los Angeles - Shubert Theater with most of the OBC
1987 London - West End Production with Diana Rigg, Daniel Massey and Julia McKenzie

A Little Night Music
2002 Washington DC - Kennedy Center Sondheim Celebration with Randy Graff, Blair Brown, Kristen Bell, Douglas Sills

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
1971 Los Angeles - Dorthy Chandler Pavillion pre-Broadway try-out for 1972 Revival with Phil Silvers, Larry Blyden, and Nancy Walker

Pacific Overtures
2002 Washington DC - National Theatre of Tokyo Production (presented as part of the Kennedy Center Sondheim Celebration)

Sweeney Todd
1979 New York - OBC 

Merrily We Roll Along
2002 Washington DC - Kennedy Center Sondheim Celebration  with Michael Hayden and Raul Esparza

Sunday in the Park with George
2002 Washington DC - Kennedy Center Sondheim Celebration with Raul Esparza and Donna Migliaccio
(and of course the OBC production taped for PBS)

Into the Woods
1989 Washington DC National Tour at the Kennedy Center with  Betsy Joslyn, Charlotte Rae, Chuck Wagner and Douglas Sills

Assassins
2004 New York - OBC

Passion
2002 Washington DC - Kennedy Center Sondheim Celebration with Judy Kuhn, Rebecca Luker, Michael Cerveris

Road Show (titled Bounce when I saw it)
2003  Washington DC - Kennedy Center with Richard Kind, Howard McGillin, Jane Powell, and Gavin Creel

West Side Story
2009 Washington DC - Out-of-town tryout for 2009 Revival with Matt Cavenaugh, Josefina Scaglione, and Karen Olivo

Gypsy
1974 Los Angeles - National Tour prior to 1974 Broadway Revival with Angela Lansbury

Marry Me a Little
1982 - New York Off Broadway run with Craig Lucas and Suzanne Henry

Unseen ...Do I Hear a Waltz, Anyone Can Whistle

Updated On: 7/18/17 at 02:26 PM

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#42Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/18/17 at 2:43pm

-1996 Broadway revival 

Company 
- 2006 Broadway Revival twice

Follies 
- 2011 Kennedy Center (pre Broadway)
- 2011 Broadway Revival - 3 times
- 2012 LA Transfer - 4 times

A Little Night Music
- 2009 Broadway Revival - twice

Sweeney Todd 
-2004  NYC Opera with Elaine Paige
- 2005 Broadway Revival

2017 - Off-Broadway revival

-  2008 Broadway Revival

Into The Woods
-2017 National Tour in LA

Frogs -

2004 - Broadway

Bounce-
2003 - Chicago

Sondheim on Sondheim
- 2010 Original Broadway Production 

Gypsy

-1989 revival
-2003 revival 
-2008 revival 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#43Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/18/17 at 3:40pm

the answer seems to be that no one has seen a live professional production of every sondheim musical, unfortunately

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#44Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/18/17 at 7:35pm

Ugh I need to see:

Frogs

Saturday Night

Road Show 

Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#45Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/22/17 at 3:24pm

The only one I haven't seen a professional production of is Do I Hear A Waltz.

Updated On: 7/23/17 at 03:24 PM

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#46Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
Posted: 7/22/17 at 8:38pm

WEST SIDE STORY - Lincoln Center with Kurt Peterson and Victoria Mallory. Stock - Anna Maria Alberghetti and Christopher Walken.

GYPSY - Broadway: Lansbury, Daly, Peters. Stock: Ann Sothern (best Rose ever), Judy Kaye, JoAnne Worley (least favorite)

FORUM - Nathan Lane revival. Stock: Mickey Rooney (he unforgivingly apologized to the audience for the bad material he was given).  

FOLLIES -  last time was the 2012 L.A. transfer of the 2011 Broadway revival. Many regional and Civic Light productions with numerous guest stars. Karen Morrow was by far my favorite Carlotta.

A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC - OBC. Saw it during Christmas week. It was snowing when we left the theatre. A truly magical evening.

PACIFIC OVERTURES - I was in NY briefly for the week of previews and opening night. I asked for the best seat available and was surprised when the reply was, "How about opening night?" I recall the curtain call applause was at first nonexistent and was polite at best. I ran into theatre old timer Lisa Kirk who asked me, "What was that?!?!" and for a large segment of the audience back then the show didn't land well at all.

SIDE BY SIDE BY SONDHEIM - caught it on tour with Larry Kert, Hermione Gingold and Millicent Martin. It was enjoyable and what you'd expect from a revue.

SWEENEY TODD - my favorite performance was the very last one on the tour which played the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. It was filmed earlier that week with Lansbury and Hearn. Diehard fans were there with tears streaming down their faces. An amazing, memorable and touching moment in the theatre. 

INTO THE WOODS   - first saw the show at the Old Globe Theatre when there was barely a second act. Sondheim spoke at intermission to explain what scenery and effects he envisioned for a fully realized production.

PASSION-  I found it irritating when the folks behind me started laughing whenever Fosca moaned loudly offstage. It kind of broke the moment.