pixeltracker

Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th

Miserent Profile Photo
Miserent
#1Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 5:30pm

The official Facebook page for Hello, Dolly! just shared an image imploring people to see Bette in Dolly "Through January 14th Only", but no other information has been posted...let's hope they find a replacement and aren't simply closing the show!!

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#2Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 5:32pm

I'm debating about getting tickets for the show - but with Donna instead of Bette. A friend of mine saw both casts - and she loved Donna in the role (said it was hard separating Bette from the character of Dolly). I may take the plunge in early September...

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#3Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 5:34pm

Glad it's finally been announced.  I have my ticket for Jan 14 - I bought it in May at the box office when I was there and saw HD!  I'm front row mezz.  Bette is brilliant!!!

Updated On: 8/1/17 at 05:34 PM

Flowerlovestage5 Profile Photo
Flowerlovestage5
#4Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 5:51pm

nealb1 said: "Glad it's finally been announced.  I have my ticket for Jan 14 - I bought it in May at the box office when I was there and saw HD!  I'm front row mezz.  Bette is brilliant!!!

What a treat for us all. Bette is giving a great performance in a blessing of a production. 

I was expecting an announcement regarding a replacement around october ...maybe now we will hear sooner. 

"

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#5Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 5:51pm

This is fine, she had a good run. I hope the show won't close on that day with Bette, but by the way it's worded, it makes me think the show will still go on (rightfully so!).

Dollypop
#6Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 5:55pm

I'm sure her replacement is already lined up.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#7Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 5:58pm

I have seen it 8 times already. Is that a bad thing? I love the sorbet colored costumes...reminds me of Young Girls of Rochefort...and just like that film it makes me eternally happy! 

10086Sundays
#8Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 6:02pm

For those who aren't on Facebook.

I wonder if David Hyde Pierce will stay on or leave as well? Or where his dates announced previously?

Updated On: 8/1/17 at 06:02 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#9Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 6:07pm

Maybe David and all the other principals have a year contract?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Flowerlovestage5
#10Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 6:16pm

Dollypop said: "I'm sure her replacement is already lined up."

Who do you think, Dollypop?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#11Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 6:28pm

10086Sundays said: "Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th

For those who aren't on Facebook.
"

And for those who are and want a link: 
https://www.facebook.com/HelloDollyBroadway/posts/1606859486033264

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#12Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 6:47pm

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#13Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 7:02pm

I rolled the dice on this one a while ago, hoping that the way it was presented on Telecharge and on their website really meant that January 14th was her last performance.

For once, I came out with a winning roll.   SO looking forward to an energy-filled and emotional performance.  And so grateful to have the chance to applaud her final bow as Dolly.  

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Updated On: 8/1/17 at 07:02 PM

Flowerlovestage5
#14Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 7:37pm

I keep thinking about Reba in Annie Get Your Gun.  A great performance and a role that fit her like a glove.  Her soaring "country" vocals and twang gave new life to the Berlin songs as she belted them in good old Broadway fashion.

I don't doubt her abilities, nor is she a one trick pony and can do more than Annie Oakley...but curbing the "twang" I am still not sure about Dolly....

...Like Parton, there is so much of that core country in their essence...

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#15Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 8:07pm

Nice! I bought a second row side orchestra for this date the day they went on sale, figuring she wouldn't want to extend... Still want to see her in the fall one more time, so three total. Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#16Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 8:10pm

Oak begins January 15, right?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#17Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 8:12pm

darquegk said: "Oak begins January 15, right?"

They're dark on Mondays, and Donna does Tuesdays.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#18Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 8:27pm

haterobics said: "darquegk said: "Oak begins January 15, right?"

They're dark on Mondays, and Donna does Tuesdays.
"

That's racist.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#19Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 8:36pm

darquegk said: "Oak begins January 15, right?"

YES, and I predict : There's an announcement that Mandy Patinkin takes over the role three weeks later, in the middle of Oak's run causing a Twitter frenzy. . Patinkin bows out within days of the announcement, Oak says he's not returning after his kick-out date, and they scramble to find someone to take over in two weeks' time and leaves everyone in limbo. 

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#20Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 9:03pm

I'm sure they're already on the phone with Emmy Rossum's agent. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#21Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 9:10pm

I've heard Oak's taking over for Bette with Emmy Rossum doing Tuesday nights while Donna Murphy is playing Pierre.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#22Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 9:21pm

^ with Mandy cutting all of their runs 3 weeks short

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

JustAnotherNewYorker
#23Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 9:34pm

I bought tickets for that date during previews, anticipating this. Nice to see it confirmed

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#24Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/1/17 at 11:40pm

Just bought 1 orchestra ticket for Bette's final Saturday night performance, Jan 13th.  YAY!  Now I'm seeing it twice - Saturday and Sunday. 

Updated On: 8/1/17 at 11:40 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#25Bette officially leaving Dolly on January 14th
Posted: 8/2/17 at 2:11am

I heard they asked Bette to move aside so they could bring in Bernadette and finally make a real $. Show is in dire situation and risk of closing. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Videos