Shows With Terrible Marketing

TheThreadMaster Profile Photo
TheThreadMaster
#1Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 9:30am

What advertisements for shows have you seen that were just flat out no good? 

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#2Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 9:37am

In terms of flat-out bad/embarrassing marketing? I'd say Waitress's commercials are pretty bad. But for like zero marketing? Bandstand by far. I haven't seen a single ad on TV, or anywhere in NYC besides Broadway. 

JennH
#3Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 9:42am

I like Waitress's TV ads, I think they're adorable in their own right...and yes to Bandstand, I can't say I've seen anything otters than print ads for it :/ 

But number one I can think of right this second? BRIGHT.STAR. Terrible marketing in every way possible. 

Updated On: 8/2/17 at 09:42 AM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#4Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 9:44am

I loved Groundhog Day, but I don't think its plain white poster with multi-color cutouts of Mr. Karl was very inspired or effective at communicating the nature of the show.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

TheThreadMaster Profile Photo
TheThreadMaster
#5Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 9:46am

I think School of Rock's current online one that appears on the side of the screen is stupid. "Shows end by 9:30, thats stickin it to the man". I feel they would sell plenty more tickets if they advertised that it is kids playing their instruments live on stage/critics pic/pull quotes/ etc.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#6Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 9:51am

Bandstand did have commercials at some point.  they didn't do a great job of telling you what the show was about,  but I remember.  

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#7Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 9:57am

Bridges of Madison County. It was...sad.

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#8Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 9:59am

The most profound thought I had looking at Amelie's ad was, "Are those raspberries or strawberries?" 

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#9Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 10:01am

American Psycho.

whatdoesntkillme
#10Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 10:12am

Some people thought it was perfect for the show, but I always thought Something Rotten's campaigns did not align with the show at all. I had no desire to see the show based on the ads, but then I saw it with a group and loved it. 

Also, while we're at it, can we talk about Wicked using the phrase "the untold true story of the witches of Oz".... like, they know it's fiction, right? 

Rainah
#11Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 10:29am

I am constantly disappointed with the marketing for Comet. They need to start billing it as weird art, something different, and reach out to that crowd of people. If you come in to Comet expecting a traditional broadway show, you're going to be disappointed. If you come in knowing it's going to be some Weird Art, you've a much better likelihood of appreciating it for what it is - weird, eclectic, different, challenging. There's a whole new market there of people who aren't traditionally broadway fans, and it would reduce the number of people leaving at intermission. 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#12Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 10:31am

The "true" in Wicked relates to the show's conceit that the story of the Wizard of Oz that we know is, in universe, mostly lies and political propaganda. 

asimplegal2 Profile Photo
asimplegal2
#13Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 10:32am

Catch Me if You Can! Loved the show but the marketing was so cringey and frustrating. Chorus girls in short skirts were exciting in 1930, but not 2013! The show is not half as sexy as they tried to make it seem. Also they didn't showcase Aaron or Norbert at all

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#14Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 10:37am

In Transit was the worst I've seen in recent memory.

CorkySt.Clair Profile Photo
CorkySt.Clair
#15Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 10:40am

Rainah, I totally agree on Comet. I also think (perhaps this was cuz they started with Groban) that they lean a little too heavily into having a "name" rather than the show itself. I've seen a couple comments recently under the lines of "I like shows that don't need big stars to carry them", which is really unfortunate. Comet has so much to offer in terms of story, music, staging, lights....but some people can see it only as a show with a "name" attached. 

SueBee06
#16Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 10:47am

Not an ad, but the art for The Norman Conquests was just awful. Combined with a title that made you think it was a period drama, it didn't help them at all. That trilogy was one of the most entertaining things I've seen on a New York stage with an amazing company of actors that worked together seamlessly. It really deserved a better campaign.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#17Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 10:48am

HANDS ON A HARDBODY was a victim of atrocious marketing. One of the best shows I've ever seen and it was just killed by marketing. The cast, to this day, is still angry about how it was handled. 

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#18Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 10:55am

Bright Star is my favorite musical ever...which is why I would put it at #1 on this list. I was so frustrated by its marketing.

Updated On: 8/2/17 at 10:55 AM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#19Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 11:04am

Uh ... Hello Dolly! It's selling out because of Bette but the total ban on media appearances, refusal to release official cast pictures, ban on cast members promoting the show on social media, and reliance on that one huge red poster is just arrogant "I don't need marketing" marketing. Compare this to the media appearances of the cast of Hamilton or DEH (other monster hits) and you realize how in the dark ages and inflexible Scott Rudin is about this sort of thing.

Rainah
#20Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 11:10am

CorkySt.Clair said: "Rainah, I totally agree on Comet. I also think (perhaps this was cuz they started with Groban) that they lean a little too heavily into having a "name" rather than the show itself. I've seen a couple comments recently under the lines of "I like shows that don't need big stars to carry them", which is really unfortunate. Comet has so much to offer in terms of story, music, staging, lights....but some people can see it only as a show with a "name" attached. "

Right? If you sell your show as SEE COMET WITH JOSH GROBAN and then he leaves, everyone is just going to go "Why do we care when it no longer has Groban in it?" 

Like it or not, they positioned the show as Groban being the most valuable thing about it. Even now it's SEE INGRID and SEE HAMILTON'S OAK. I was at that stage door, the people hoping to meet Ingrid were dwarfed by the people wanting a piece of Lucas Steele. 

Actually, related: Considering that a lot of big fanbases for smash hit shows skew heavily towards young women, you'd think they'd try and play up their sexy young men more. "SEE SEXY BAD BOY LUCAS STEELE, he put his arm around someone and they fainted dead away." Hell, it's what Hamilton did! When Lin left we got 20 articles about "See Javier, the Sexy Hamilton"

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#21Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 11:36am

The ad campaign for the ill-fated revival of "On A Clear Day You Can See Forever" was terrible 

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#22Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 11:42am

Absolutely agree in regards to Great Comet. They should be trying to appeal to the Sleep No More / Queen of the Night crowd instead of making it a star vehicle. It may be more of a structured and plot-driven experience than either of those, but people who like those types of experiences will love Great Comet and will spread some amazing word-of-mouth.

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#23Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 11:47am

Jordan Catalano said: "HANDS ON A HARDBODY was a victim of atrocious marketing. One of the best shows I've ever seen and it was just killed by marketing. The cast, to this day, is still angry about how it was handled. "

Really?....really?  One of the best shows you've ever seen?  SMH

Rainah
#24Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 11:53am

raddersons said: "Absolutely agree in regards to Great Comet. They should be trying to appeal to the Sleep No More / Queen of the Night crowd instead of making it a star vehicle. It may be more of a structured and plot-driven experience than either of those, but people who like those types of experiences will love Great Comet and will spread some amazing word-of-mouth."

Like honestly. You're in NYC, not small town Ohio. People will come out to see Weird And Challenging Art if you let them know it exists!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#25Shows With Terrible Marketing
Posted: 8/2/17 at 11:57am

Yes, Buddy. And be sure to S your DH until it falls off.