pixeltracker

THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'- Page 2

THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#25 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 7:02pm

Thanks, Oak!

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#26 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 7:02pm

This is heartbreaking. And enraging. I hope all of the white teens on twitter+the pot stirrers are happy and satisfied with their decision to put dozens of poc actors out of work laugh.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#27 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 7:03pm

qolbinau said: "The Ultra Left/Ultra PC crowd really need to take a look at themselves and look at the destruction they are causing. They have well intentions of course - but need to engage with the truth before further harm is caused. That said, it's possible Mandy could have come in and then the show close quickly after anyway. So perhaps all they did was cut the short lifeline. 

"

Yep...

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#28 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 7:03pm

Was expecting this to close on Sunday, happy it's at least running until September 3 for it's fans to see it once more.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

N. Wratch
#29 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 7:05pm

Looking forward to seeing Oak blacklisted for a good couple of years.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#30 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 7:06pm

Skimbleshanks2 said: "Thanks, Oak!

"

What I immediately thought. I hope he's satisfied with himself and the fact that he has destroyed his career completely. 

n.holden
#31 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'

Wow. Extremely disappointing, but I'm overjoyed that a tour is still in the works

BroadwayBaby4
#32 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'

Have tickets for September 2nd, so I'm at least happy I'll actually be able to see the show one more time. What a horrible way for this beautiful show to go out. 

Liza's Headband
#33 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'

This is not closing because of the Oak debacle. It's closing because they had no advance sales and couldn't line up a big enough replacement for the fall. That simple. Farewell, Comet. You ran way longer than I expected considering you're an overrated bore.  xo

CorkySt.Clair Profile Photo
CorkySt.Clair
#34 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 7:07pm

One (sliiiiiiightly) silver lining is that Dave and Britain will be able to come back. Not that's it's much of a consolation, but still. 

Audrey33
#35 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 7:10pm

Liza's Headband said: "This is not closing because of the Oak debacle. It's closing because they had no advance sales and couldn't line up a big enough replacement for the fall. That simple. Farewell, Comet. You ran way longer than I expected considering you're an overrated bore.  xo"

Can't imagine the bitterness it must take to write a post like this right now. Yikes.

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#36 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 7:12pm

Not even going to wade into the assigning of blame. But this show was (is) truly, truly special, and one of the most magical evenings I've ever spent in a theatre. I'm grateful I had the privilege of seeing it. And I hope that the takeaway is "produce better," not "don't make risky shows," because I think Broadway needs to be shaken up by the weird stuff now and then :)

michaelhale
#37 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 7:13pm

I am a little lost as to how this was Oak's fault, Mandy was only set to take them to Sept 3rd, which is just as long as it's going. With him and no drama it would've made it what- a couple more weeks into September? 

sm33 Profile Photo
sm33
#38 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 7:13pm

I absolutely loved this show. I'm saddened that so many talented people are losing their jobs, and that I only got the chance to see it one time, and won't be able to get to NYC again before it closes. I really hope the tour does happen as planned - I know I would go see it more than once. 

schubox
#39 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 7:14pm

No one knows if Mandy could have helped or not, and no one knows if the scandal scared off potential actors. We'll never know. But for people to absolve Oak because of the dire straights of the finances is ridiculous.

Maybe the show closes 9/3 no matter what. Maybe Mandy plus whoever after gets it to the end of the year, maybe indefinitely. The point is Oak and company took that opportunity away.

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#40 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 7:15pm

Why are people blaming Oak? I think it's the fault of fans and certain actors that immediately made it a race issue despite lack of evidence. I feel like Oak handled it really well.

hbf Profile Photo
hbf
#41 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 7:16pm

This was truly a one of a kind show. I hope Rafael, and Cynthia, and Twitter are happy to know that they made a show close because they couldn't handle some random guy from Hamilton being replaced by some white dude.

"She's very insecure, but so am I!"
Updated On: 8/8/17 at 07:16 PM

elpielovesblackfish2 Profile Photo
elpielovesblackfish2
hbf Profile Photo
hbf
#43 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 7:18pm

elpielovesblackfish2 said: "Thanks Rafael Casal! 

"

It's his birthday today, so I guess his wish came true.

"She's very insecure, but so am I!"

Dysquith13 Profile Photo
Dysquith13
#44 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 7:19pm

This is beyond upsetting. I had a feeling it would happen, but it doesn't make it hurt any less. Denee Benton should hopefully get a nice new role soon.

Phantom4ever
#45 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 7:20pm

Wish I had hopped on the Comet sooner.  I adored the show when I saw it last week and would have seen again on every upcoming visit.  

willrolandsframes
#46 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'

One incredibly small silver lining in this mess is that CBS and the producers of Survivor now possess a very small window to potentially bring back Josh Canfield for a season. Josh was most certainly a fan favorite and is near the top of many people's lists of players they want to see return. Josh has also publicly stated that he is interested in playing again if he had the time (He was forced to turn down an offer to return in the summer of 2015 due to Doctor Zhivago).

michaelhale
#47 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'

schubox said: "No one knows if Mandy could have helped or not, and no one knows if the scandal scared off potential actors. We'll never know. But for people to absolve Oak because of the dire straights of the finances is ridiculous.

Maybe the show closes 9/3 no matter what. Maybe Mandy plus whoever after gets it to the end of the year, maybe indefinitely. The point is Oak and company took that opportunity away.

"

IIRC Mandy chose to drop out based on his own beliefs, Oak didn't take anything from him. He's a part of the group of people that didn't approve of the move, so the blame must be just as much on him, right? He could of have done it, there's no way the heat was that heavy (from a few people on twitter) to negate the positive effects of people going to see it for him.

Regardless, it's sad to see the show go. It was a lovely show, wish they could've found a way to make it work but I feel it was doomed from the time Groban left. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#48 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 7:21pm

There are people that think that either: Oak instigated Rafael and/or could have publicly defended the show and put an end to the racist cries.

Regardless, Mandy would have oly been a band aid.  What the heck WAS their plan for after Oak's short contract ran out?   It doesn't even seem as if they HAD one.

Fitting for my family, to see Scott as that's who we saw it with at the start at the ART.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 8/8/17 at 07:21 PM

youwillbefound2 Profile Photo
youwillbefound2
#49 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 7:22pm

I am utterly shocked and so so so saddened by this news. I had stage tickets for September 23rd and was so looking forward it... oh well, I should have suspected it.