Why is War Paint Still Playing? - Page 2

Why is War Paint Still Playing?

#25Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 8/19/17 at 12:59pm

Yes, it's worth the price of admission just to hear "Pink." 

bear88
#26Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 8/19/17 at 1:28pm

Wouldn't the producers be hoping for people like me, someone who likes original productions and wants to see something (or someone) they can't see on tour?

I was in New York in April. I bought tickets a week in advance to see Great Comet, an option that will not exist soon. I tried to get tickets for Dear Evan Hansen, but that was touch and go, as I didn't want to pay scalper's prices. We got lucky, thanks to advice from people on this board.

If those plans had fallen through, I debated what to see. We probably would have seen Sara Bareilles in Waitress, and then picked from what was left. War Paint wasn't my first choice, as the reviews seemed pretty tepid, and I'm not obsessed with Patti Lupone. But I was curious to see her and Ebersole, because they are the sort of Broadway stars you're never going to see on tour. 

If we were going in the fall, with Waitress going on tour, and Great Comet, Groundhog Day,and Bandstand closed, I definitely would have considered War Paint more seriously. 

Any Broadway producer betting too heavily on people like me would be foolish. But don't some shows do a little better in the fall once the summer tourist crowd leaves and the options are more limited? Unless the production is losing a lot of money each week, what's the harm in giving it a shot?

CorkySt.Clair Profile Photo
CorkySt.Clair
#27Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 8/19/17 at 1:31pm

christinelavin said: "Yes, it's worth the price of admission just to hear "Pink." 

"

Oh heck yeah. Just thinking about it gives me chills all over again!

Public User Profile Photo
Public User
#28Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 8/19/17 at 3:08pm

Miles2Go2 said: "rattleNwoolypenguin said: "Ya know, why do people do posts like this?

Do you realize you're kinda rudely speculating on why and when a whole bunch of people are gonna be unemployed? 

Why don't we spend more time cheering original musicals on that are still open? 

Why is it still running? Cause clearly people like it."

You're probably right. In my curiousity, it might have seemed I was advocating for the show to close and subsequently for people to lose their jobs. I am genuinely curious how War Paint continues to play while other shows with mixed reviews and poor box office showings have already announced closing dates in the near future as it helps me understand the business of Broadway productions better.  I suspect a lot of it comes down to the star power of Patti Lupone and the taste for risk by the producers as well as other aspects we'll likely never know. 

Once again, sorry to offend. I'm new to these message boards. I believe in the power of musicals and don't want to earn the reputation as someone who doesn't. 

"

oh please don't be scared off from voicing an opinion on here.  Most of these people aren't even really affiliated with "the Theata" and just like to throw their dubious weight around.  These shows, stars, etc. are not untouchable objects, and who knows: she's just feisty enough to make outrageous demands, god knows she deserves the privilege.

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#29Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/1/17 at 12:45am

Well, I won the Lottery for tonight's show. 5th Row Mezz center and an aisle seat! All for 40 bucks. Can't beat that.

I have heard so many mixed feelings about this show from friends. Everything from I loved it to "meh". Sorry  to say I wasn't taken with it. Not terrible, just OK. 

LuPone's voice is still amazing. She still sounds like she could do Evita. I couldn't understand 3/4 of her lyrics but the sound was thrilling. Ebersole's voice is also wonderful. Trouble for me was the score. It sounded all alike with the two ladies criss crossing left and right all night. 

And nothing much happens for 2 1/2 hrs. Slow paced as well. The 2 men co stars have nothing interesting to do or sing and the ensemble moves around a lot with not much to do either. 

I had heard that the Pink number was a stand out and Ebersole sings it great but the song doesn't soar like you think it will and ends with a thud, with her saying a line of dialogue. It didn't get the hand it deserved. And LuPone's Beautiful number sounds thrilling on the radio ad and I was excited to hear it but that song too wanders all over the place with her finally getting to belt out at the end. 

The women have SO much to sing in this show. I wish they would have had better material. 

The theatre was fairly full upstairs for a Thursday night.

Valyitz
#30Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/1/17 at 2:32am

EthelMae, that's basically the same thoughts as I had all round having won the lottery last week!

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#31Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/1/17 at 11:56am

I was planning on making another Sunday matinee trip this coming November to see this being a Patti Lupone fan  (So far I've seen Sunset Boulevard, Great Comet, and next week Hello Dolly), but weighing it all out I'm hearing more 'bad' than 'good' to sway my decision. I don't want to waste money or time if this is really not worth seeing.

As for Lupone's retiring from musicals - that will last until the next great musical comes her way. $$$ talks. 

Cesare2
#32Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/1/17 at 12:32pm

I had a great time at WAR PAINT.  Two true star performances.  The rivalry between LuPone and Ebersole (as the characters in the show  and as Broadway divas) I found very entertaining.

broadwayboy223
#33Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/1/17 at 12:47pm

I LOVE this show. I admit it's not perfect (the book) but the costumes, the story, the SCORE are all beautiful. Not to mention two incredible performances from Patti and Christine. The second time I saw the show Patti had injured her back earlier in the day and I didn't even know till I overheard it at intermission. It became a little more apparent in the second act but it didn't distract her from her character or the show. She was INCREDIBLE. If you want to see a good old fashioned show with a beautiful score and two extraordinary performances, please go see War Paint. 

CorkySt.Clair Profile Photo
CorkySt.Clair
#34Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/1/17 at 1:22pm

broadwayboy223 said: "I LOVE this show. I admit it's not perfect (the book) but the costumes, the story, the SCORE are all beautiful. Not to mention two incredible performances from Patti and Christine. The second time I saw the show Patti had injured her back earlier in the day and I didn't even knowtill I overheard it at intermission. It became a little more apparent in the second act but it didn't distract her from her character or the show. She was INCREDIBLE. If you want to see a good old fashioned show with a beautiful score and two extraordinary performances, please go see War Paint."

THIS. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's still a beautiful show. Aside from what broadwayboy mentioned, the design elements are also top-notch (those Zuber costumes!!).

WaffleOnWheels
#35Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/1/17 at 1:48pm

CorkySt.Clair said: "broadwayboy223 said: "I LOVE this show. I admit it's not perfect (the book) but the costumes, the story, the SCORE are all beautiful. Not to mention two incredible performances from Patti and Christine. The second time I saw the show Patti had injured her back earlier in the day and I didn't even knowtill I overheard it at intermission. It became a little more apparent in the second act but it didn't distract her from her character or the show. She was INCREDIBLE. If you want to see a good old fashioned show with a beautiful score and two extraordinary performances, please go see War Paint."

THIS. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's still a beautiful show. Aside from what broadwayboy mentioned, the design elements are also top-notch (those Zuber costumes!!).
"

I'm still a little angry Zuber didn't win the Tony. Yes, the Dolly costumes are gorgeous, but the detail on every article of clothing at the Nederlander is STUNNING. And those hats!

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#36Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/1/17 at 2:29pm

So no one agrees that Idina and Kristin would be great replacements? Okay :p

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#37Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/1/17 at 2:31pm

Valentina3 said: "So no one agrees that Idina and Kristin would be great replacements? Okay :p"

I do! But at the same time id rather seen RBJ and Jennifer Laura Thompson

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Another Winter Profile Photo
Another Winter
#38Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/1/17 at 2:38pm

Valentina3 said: "So no one agrees that Idina and Kristin would be great replacements? Okay :p"

I would love to see a revival with them! Tho I feel it would be a hard sell to revive WP. I love it, but it isn't breaking the box office. Maybe a non for profit like Roundabout could revive it in like 10ish years?

broadwayboy223
#39Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/1/17 at 3:27pm

I'm hoping they preserve the show via Broadway HD or something.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#40Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/1/17 at 5:04pm

David Stone and Marc Platt can afford to keep it running for a while if it starts losing money. I think I read somewhere that it was Stone who first had the idea for the musical, so this may be a passion project for him.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#41Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/1/17 at 5:36pm

I'm going for a second time this coming week. As others have mentioned the book does have some faults but  I enjoyed it enough to go back (at a discount) again before what surely will be a closing announcement shortly.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#42Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/1/17 at 8:09pm

I'm so sad this show isn't doing well. I have seen it three times and I'll probably see it three more.

My boyfriend thought the Tony performance was amazing and really enjoyed the score when I brought him. The performances are fantastic, surely they make up for any less than stellar book writing? Or am I complete biased...Why is War Paint Still Playing?

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#43Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/1/17 at 11:42pm

It's so odd that they haven't said anything about this vacation, but if you go on Ticketmaster you'll notice a whole week missing.

Maybe they'll announce their "final weeks" during the vacation? I can't imagine someone like Stone, who knows how to create an "event," would allow LuPone's supposed final Broadway outing (until the next big part comes along) to pass without some sort of announcement ("Final weeks to see Patti Lupone on Broadway!"Why is War Paint Still Playing? .

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#44Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/2/17 at 12:51am

Guess I'll be going again before they take their break. I have to hand it to these women for doing 8 shows a week, at their ages, and sounding/acting the way they do. True star power. 

Islander_fan
#45Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/2/17 at 1:11am

@Robbie2

I don't know how folks with papered tickets are getting them. Hell, even before I started ushering I never had (and still don't) have the knowledge of how one does go about getting papered tickets. I will say this though, when seating, a majority of the tickets I see have the word "comp" on them. 

@adamgreer, I do agree with you, that the show wouldn't close abruptly during their week off. I wonder though if they will announce it soon to have it coincide with their week long break. I mean, when the show closes for a week they still have to pay people the same amount as if the show was still going on. With numbers being what they are, I feel that that's not something that can help the situation.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#46Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/2/17 at 9:03am

I think what also has done the show in are:

1. The title: "War Paint" doesn't exactly scream 'come see this' to me. If you didn't know the back story, you would probably think it was about a dozen other things. 

2. The logo: It's strange, if nothing else. Why not use photos of the two stars to grab one's attention instead of these profile sketches?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#47Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/11/17 at 4:58pm

Bringing this back up because this week's grosses are just embarrassing. They're very barely breaking half a mil.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#48Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/11/17 at 5:02pm

Embarrassing to who? 

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#49Why is War Paint Still Playing?
Posted: 9/11/17 at 5:07pm

I have no interest in seeing this show.  But in today's mail, I received a rather nice glossy folded flyer sorta thingy for the show, offering discounts thru November 19th.  I guess I was on the mailing list because I recently used Ticketmaster.

Videos