LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#2Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 7:01pm

Link, please?

Notreallysilent 2
#4Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 7:10pm

Well at least we can put away the thoughts that the show was going to end September 3rd anyways. They had someone lined up, and it's incredibly dissapointint to hear this. This show deserved better, it was so creative and different AND diverse.

Updated On: 8/29/17 at 07:10 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 7:18pm

Well, the article really doesn't say anything we haven't discussed here.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

PaulWom
#6Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 7:25pm

Dramamama, I disagree. There are things that were merely speculation before that are now fact- for instance, the fact that they were working with a  TV star now puts the "this controversy doesn't matter, it would've closed anyway" argument to bed.

schubox
#7Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 7:39pm

“They led me to believe I was going to be doing less than I was,” he said, “and then, over time, I was given more and more material with not enough time to prepare.”

Really? I mean he saw the show right? What did he think he wouldn't have to do?

Sunny11
#8Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 7:39pm

It's hard to imaging that a show that received 12 Tony nominations and was selling well would have a hard time attracting stars. It's an ideal job for a tv/ pop star looking for a Broadway debut, especially to follow someone as big as  Groban. 

michaelhale
#9Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 7:42pm

PaulWom said: "Dramamama, I disagree. There are things that were merely speculation before that are now fact- for instance, the fact that they were working with a  TV star now puts the "this controversy doesn't matter, it would've closed anyway" argument to bed.

"

I wouldn't say this at all? A "TV star" can mean a lot. Still very baffled if they had a sure thing post Sept-3rd, why worry so much about three weeks in August?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#10Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 7:45pm

Rain Wilson seems like he could have sold well. Maybe not as much as Groban, but he could have brought the show through January.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#11Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 7:46pm

Oak is going to have a tough time booking work now.

Notreallysilent 2
#12Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 8:02pm

I totally agree that there is an issue of diversity not only on broadway, but everywhere, and it should be talked about it, but how can oak say that he didn't say anything for this reason. The casting had no racial motive at all. Yes it's a big issue, but did he seem to forget he was in one of the most diverse casts on broadway? The diversity issue should definitely be talked about, but not using this scenario. I have a feeling it was more than just that that he didn't say anything maybe his ego? I mean cast members even asked him to say something and he still refused to. It just makes me mad that he and all the other twitter people did this. I wish the cast and crew well and hope to see them in shows in the future each one of them were so talented.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#13Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 8:08pm

oncemorewithfeeling2 said: "Oak is going to have a tough time booking work now."

Indeed he will. As for  Casal and Ervivo for starting / contributing the social media fire - they have nothing else to say? I guess they like to lead everyone onto the road of oncoming traffic, and then run away from the fatalities. 

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#14Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 8:09pm

So, will Cynthia Erivo and Rafael Casal be held accountable for their libelous statements?

VintageSnarker
#15Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 8:14pm

First of all, this was a tough read. Do they get paid by word count?

Seeing it all laid out and certain things confirmed was helpful. I forgot that Josh extended by 10 weeks. You'd think there would have been more of a plan in place. Anonymous but the article notes that "multiple crew and cast members" though Oak wasn't learning the score fast enough and was "resistant to direction." That's significant for the NYT (as opposed to Riedel). I also didn't realize that the creative team cut some Oak's piano and accordion playing and reassigned those duties to the musicians. 

Also, at last Oak (and not Casal) speaks! I agree that having too much material and not enough time to prepare is a weak excuse if he knew the show. He seems to be suggesting that he agreed to do the show thinking he wouldn't have to play the instruments so much but that seems like a weird concession to make for him (as opposed to someone like Mandy Patinkin) and he had months to prepare. If he didn't think he could manage it, why take the job?

Another interesting point is the claim that the producers though Patinkin "could be persuaded to extend his run."

Oak's quote "If people feel strongly and passionately about something, I'll let them speak strongly and passionately -I'm not going to tell them not to," is a convenient way to frame the situation.

We also get confirmation that cast members met with Oak, Cynthia, and "others" to no avail and there was a "discussion about holding postperformance discussions on diversity issues."

Also, we got confirmation that it wasn't just a TV star (again, whatever that means) they were talking to but someone who had already been "training with the music team in LA."

Then there's the possible audit.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#16Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 8:18pm

VintageSnarker said: "First of all, this was a tough read. Do they get paid by word count?"

Yes, it's very old school of them to unpack complexity with focus and nuance.

Audrey33
#17Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 8:24pm

Unfortunately Erivo's career wont suffer as she has set her sights on Hollywood and seems to be succeeding in getting roles.

As soon as she made it on Broadway she started attacking London theatre and now she's making it in Hollywood and has her Tony she's attacking Broadway theatre. Cannot stand the woman.

theater_tech
#18Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 8:29pm

“If people feel strongly and passionately about something, I’ll let them speak strongly and passionately — I’m not going to tell them not to,” he said.

Way to throw 50+ people under the bus (y). 

schubox
#19Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 8:44pm

David10086 said: "oncemorewithfeeling2 said: "Oak is going to have a tough time booking work now."

Indeed he will. As for  Casal and Ervivo for starting / contributing the social media fire - they have nothing else to say? I guess they like to lead everyone onto the road of oncoming traffic, and then run away from the fatalities. 

"

She is still attacking people 

BroadwayBaby4
#20Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 9:08pm

The only thing I am confused about is if they did have a star waiting to come in, why didn't the announce it earlier? Maybe they wouldn't have needed Mandy if they had just announced the next Pierre and made some advanced sales that way. 

Audrey33
#21Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 9:11pm

^Sounds like it wasn't finalized yet and they can't announce it before a contract is signed.

PaulWom
#22Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 9:27pm

https://twitter.com/CynthiaEriVo/status/902665333856600064

can someone please inform me what "facts" Cynthia, someone with no relation to the show, has that  Joey, a member of the show, doesn't?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#23Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 9:41pm

PaulWom said: "https://twitter.com/CynthiaEriVo/status/902665333856600064

can someone please inform me what "facts" Cynthia, someone with no relation to the show, has that  Joey, a member of the show, doesn't?

I mentioned this on one of the other threads, but she's really off her rocker with this.  It really makes me never want to support her career again.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#24Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 9:51pm

Cynthia Erivo is obviously a very proud person, and I respect that. But when your pride makes you completely unable to take any blame for an occurrence in which you played a part, that's when it starts to become a problem. She refuses to admit, and possibly even believe, that she (someone who has a cult following) bears any responsibility in the backlash against the most diverse show on Broadway, that ultimately caused the show to close.

It saddens me that someone with such a large platform, and actually a lot of intelligence, is so reluctant to take any responsibility. It's very disappointing.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#25Paulson expose On Great Comet controversy
Posted: 8/29/17 at 10:02pm

1. Talk is cheap: they had no star lined up, and were not going to get one. 

2. Rain Wilson is not a star. And he would not sell enough tickets to keep this show afloat. And he lacks the chops.

3. Someone said he would sell tickets but not as well as Groban. Bear in mind that during Groban's lengthy tenure the show was only able to return 15% of its investment. Like I've been saying since it was announced, this show was born to fail. 

Videos