pixeltracker

Miss Saigon cast takes a knee- Page 3

Miss Saigon cast takes a knee

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#50Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 1:59pm

Incorrect. That’s a tangible request made to support a tangible cause—not a symbolic display of virtue signaling. 

Erik, you doing okay today? You’ve repeated yourself about 3 times.

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#51Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 2:05pm

I'm doing fine thanks for asking!

Since you've run away from the OT board because you don't like to discuss politics anymore (lol) I thought it woud be a good idea to remind everyone on the main board you support Trump when you start spouting your BS.

It's a public service!

Updated On: 9/27/17 at 02:05 PM

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#52Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 2:06pm

It's fun to watch all the pretzel-y twists and turns!  

PepperedShepherd Profile Photo
PepperedShepherd
#53Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 2:09pm

Too bad that Philando Castile, Tamir Rice, Alton Sterling, Freddie Grey, et. al. won't get the chance to experience the "escapist entertainment" provided by the theater.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#54Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 2:14pm

"Symbolic display of virtue signaling."

I want to get into this a bit more. We can PM if you'd prefer that but I don't understand how speaking up for an individual's right to protest and refusing to accept getting name-called by leader of the country, unprovoked, is in any way a mere symbolic display of virtue signalling. If Obama, Hillary, Bill Clinton, or any other democratic leader did something like that to someone from white working class - would you not want it to be protested? If your answer's yes, I'm guessing this discussion is pointless.

Coming from a different angle, your argument of not wanting to be shoved political opinions in a space where you go to escape - that space is created and provided to you by these artists. Everything happening there is a part and parcel of what comes with the space. It is called live theater because it is living - think of them taking the knee as part of the show and maybe you can tune out what you want tuned out. Obviously no one's asking you to go if you disagree with the show and the artists, but don't "blech" because that's just plain disrespectful.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
Updated On: 9/27/17 at 02:14 PM

VintageSnarker
#55Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 2:58pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "The Hamilton tour cast posted a picture on their knees backstage. I don’t really care about what you protest on your own time, but if you’re going to literally force your display of protest onto me in a space where I go for escape (I can’t believe it’s controversial to consider theatergoing as escapist and for personally enjoyable/entertainment reasons these days), then I’m going to pass. Let me go to the theatre and just take in a performance, please."

What's that joke about feeling attacked by silent, nonviolent protest?

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#56Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 3:24pm

I'm seeing a bit too much of "dance, monkey, dance" on this thread.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#57Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 3:38pm

I see "virtue signaling" is now the new popular buzzword some people like to parrot thinking they're being clever and using some respected term when really the opposite is happening and they're just showing who they associate with.

Updated On: 9/27/17 at 03:38 PM

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#59Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 6:10pm

Concerige, I highly doubt you’d stop seeing Hamilton if they did it. Miss Saigon is only here a few more months, so it’s easy for you to commit to that. Hopefully that’s the same with Trump.

youwillbefound2 Profile Photo
youwillbefound2
#60Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 6:45pm

I don't understand all the hate. These actors have a platform to share what they believe in, so they took the opportunity to show what the show and the cast stand for, and I think that's amazing, especially in times like these. Good for them. 

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#61Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 6:51pm

youwillbefound2 said: "I don't understand all the hate. These actors havea platform to share what they believe in, so they took the opportunity to show what the show and the cast stand for, and I think that's amazing, especially in times like these.Good for them."

The hate mostly comes from Trump supporters, honestly.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#62Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 8:59pm

Christ. It was during CURTAIN CALL - your "escape entertainment" has already ended by then. It's not like they stopped an 11 o'clock number to all come out on stage and protest. What a bunch of closed minded BS.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

UncleCharlie
#63Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 9:41pm

Actor on knee during a proposal scene: "OMG, isn't that romantic? So sweet."

Actor on knee during curtain call: "OMG, this is horrible. Stop shoving this down my throat."

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#64Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 9:41pm

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "Christ. It was during CURTAIN CALL - your "escape entertainment" has already ended by then. It's not like they stopped an 11 o'clock number to all come out on stage and protest. What a bunch of closed minded BS."

Trump supporters (and Trump himself) are the real "snowflakes." Such delicate, white creatures.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#65Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 10:08pm

Did someone seriously try to suggest that theater shouldn't be about politics? Do they know nothing about the history of this art form? I'm flabbergasted that anyone who's seen a musical would think that. 

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#66Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 10:24pm

So we really need a Broadway show cast to take a knee to know they hate Trump, gee what a news flash - lol. If they really cared about the issue (police brutality) how come they did not do it when the show first opened in support of Kapernick. Let me guess, they did not want to hurt their box office and now that they have a closing date it is safe to do it.  

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#67Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 10:26pm

^They had a closing date when they opened.  They're a limited run.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#68Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 10:36pm

Some people just don't get it.  This isn't directly supporting any one person. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#69Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 10:38pm

I'm shocked that anyone is surprised that BroadwayConcierge would be bothered by this. 

He voted for a birther. Blech.

Updated On: 9/27/17 at 10:38 PM

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#70Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 10:41pm

Because the supposed leader of this country called those who take a knee “sons of b*tches.” Meanwhile, the day after they take a knee, the full company posed for a picture for social media to encourage donations for hurricane relief in Puerto Rico. Devin Ilaw said on Instagram, “I've never been in a company that continuously again and again stands up together to help others and tackles social issues quite like this SAIGON family does.” So you can believe what you want to believe, but I personally believe this is not for attention for the show, merely just using their voices while they have a platform.

wonkit
#71Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 11:04pm

Life is not all politics. If I go to a church or a grocery store or a Broadway play, I do not go to find out the political beliefs of the clergy, the grocery clerk or the actors. Of course, everyone has a right to speak freely. But some venues are more conducive to actual political discourse rather than symbolic gestures. And the risk is that symbolic gestures may, in fact, interfere with religious devotion, food shopping and enjoyment of a creative effort. For every person who applauds a gesture, there will be someone who does not appreciate it. 

#72Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 11:09pm

I feel like if you're against a message of ending racial injustice and continuing the right to protest, you wouldn't be seeing Miss Saigon.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#73Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 11:09pm

"^They had a closing date when they opened.  They're a limited run."

"Newsies" was supposedly a limited run and it ran longer.  If Miss Saigon had been more successful I am sure it would have kept running.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#74Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 11:12pm

And if they extended, they would have still done this. The timing coincides with current events, not their expiration date. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#75Miss Saigon cast takes a knee
Posted: 9/27/17 at 11:16pm

Honestly, how dare a group of voting, American citizens express their political views in front of me?  Seriously, right in front of my salad?!?!?!?

Videos